Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
renjuzone

Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

Post by renjuzone »

This is the place to post and organize meetings in Madison - Wisconsin (and Verona, Middleton and Fitchburg areas).

Please post meeting proposals here and be sure to post your meeting once organized, so that stray folks have the chance to join your group at the last minute.

Doodle.com is the tool we used to find compatible dates and times to meet. You may see a post with an invitation to doodle and a link to a page there where you can sign up and confirm what your availability is.
Last edited by renjuzone on Sun May 25, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
renjuzone

First Madison WI meeting of 2014

Post by renjuzone »

A few people have expressed confusion about parts of threads moving around and are unsure where the Madison meeting place is. I have re-linked the doodle poll for the Madison meeting to this thread. Please take a few minutes to fill-in your availability. Right now, the winners are either July 19th or July 26th around noon.

Regarding meeting place for Madison: lots of people have liked and recommended Minerva Indian Buffet as the initial meeting place but it may not be too quiet on a Saturday. Mrs.Feely has proposed Lee's Garden as an alternative place since she knows the owner and can organize a large quiet table there. I am open to both places. What do people prefer? Also, does anyone like to propose an agenda besides to obvious meet & greet + intros?

Looking forward to meeting fellow Madison-WI bogleheads!
LarryG

Re: Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

Post by LarryG »

I think that the place that offers a private area would be preferable. In addition to the places listed, both "The Egg and I" and the "Imperial Garden" have separate rooms.
LarryG
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

LarryG wrote:I think that the place that offers a private area would be preferable. In addition to the places listed, both "The Egg and I" and the "Imperial Garden" have separate rooms.
LarryG
Perhaps someone could call those restaurants and ask if we could reserve a private room or area on Saturday July 19 or 26 around noon?

A few years ago I organized a birthday party and had a difficult time finding a burger-style restaurant that would take a Saturday afternoon reservation for a large party ideally in a private room. Even the west side Nitty Gritty didn't want us! Although in honesty it was football season. For weekends most restaurants I called charged a fee for the private room and/or had a minimum per-guest-per-hour spend amount that was rather high. And it was always one tab for everyone. I did eventually find a place that did not but alas they are out of business these days. Restaurants tend to be more flexible on week nights and usually don't charge extra for the private room or require a minimum spend.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

TAG - just so this thread can be found on my View your posts.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

TAG - just so this thread can be found on my View your posts
+1 :)
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

The Egg&I does not have a private room on weekends. Imperial Garden doesn't open until 4:00 on Saturday. Besides that the idea was good .
LarryG
Topic Author
renjuzone

Post by renjuzone »

Lee's Garden it is for this first meet (if Mrs. Feeley can still help us get a large quiet table). Now we just need to figure out if it is going to be July 19th or July 26th (around noon)
jontherevelator

Post by jontherevelator »

I'm interested. Hopefully the time works out.
JTR
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

renjuzone wrote:Lee's Garden it is for this first meet (if Mrs. Feeley can still help us get a large quiet table). Now we just need to figure out if it is going to be July 19th or July 26th (around noon)
Spoke to Mr. Lee. Either date is fine for a noon lunch. We can reserve several large tables in the back of the restaurant. Capacity is 8 people per table, and we can push together as many tables as we need. It would be helpful to call in advance with an approximate number of people expected. He said things get busier and noisier as the Saturday afternoon progresses, but as long as we stick to a noon meeting time it should be fine. I'll be glad to handle any follow-up calls.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Anyone have any preferences as to whether we meet on Saturday July 19th or July 26th? In the Doodle survey nine people reported that they could come on the 19th and nine on the 26th, but not the same nine. Any tie-breakers lurking out there?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:Anyone have any preferences as to whether we meet on Saturday July 19th or July 26th? In the Doodle survey nine people reported that they could come on the 19th and nine on the 26th, but not the same nine. Any tie-breakers lurking out there?
Anyone??

I'll throw in a vote for the 19th if no one has any preferences.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

The 19th sounds good for me.
LarryG
timmy

Post by timmy »

+1 for the 19th

50% chance of being there

I am a couple of hours away... but attending this...

http://madisonparadeofhomes.com/parade-of-homes/
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Saturday, July 19th it is!

Noonish at Lee's Garden, (http://www.leesgardenmadison.com) 7475 Mineral Point Rd., Madison, WI, in the shopping strip next to Shopko, on the corner of Mineral Point and D'onofrio Dr. and across the street from Kentucky Fried. On Madison's west side. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Topic Author
renjuzone

Post by renjuzone »

Ironically, the doodle vote count changed a couple mins before mrs.feeleys post :) If we can firm up the 26th instead, that would be wonderful, but if not,19th I guess still works for quite a few.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

I can no longer make it on the 26th, so unless someone in this thread hasn't posted on the Doodle poll we're tied again over the 26th and the 19th.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Anymore votes for preferences on whether to hold the meeting on July 19th or 26th? If you haven't already voted in the Doodle thread, or if you want to change your vote to select a specific date, please do so ASP! Thank you! It's great that we have so much interest in creating a local chapter and we'd like to get as many people as we can to a meeting this summer.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

We're still tied in the Doodle poll. Eight members prefer Sat. July 19th, eight prefer the 26th.

Unless anyone objects I'm going to call it for Saturday, July 19th. Any objections....?

Of course we could always have meetings on both the 19th and the 26th to accommodate everyone. :D
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

Unfortunately I am no longer available July 19, so my vote would have to change to July 26. That said, I would never request that a meeting get rescheduled on my behalf, so if I have to catch the next one, so be it.
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

If it ends up being the 19th, I may be able to attend. I'm one of the steering committee members of the Twin Cities BH group. My wife and I will be in Madison visiting our daughter and her family that weekend. The Minnesota group has been fairly active - we are in our 9th year I believe.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Peter Foley wrote:If it ends up being the 19th, I may be able to attend. I'm one of the steering committee members of the Twin Cities BH group. My wife and I will be in Madison visiting our daughter and her family that weekend. The Minnesota group has been fairly active - we are in our 9th year I believe.
That would be terrific if you could attend, Peter. You could provide us with insight and direction on getting the group started.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Bad news. Lee's Garden went out of business. Drove out there today and they were gone. I was going to suggest another quiet Chinese restaurant on the west side but according to Yelp they recently went out of business too. :(

Should we try for one of the plan B spots? Maybe Minerva India Buffet on Junction Road which Renjuzone recommended? Or maybe someplace noisy but with good beer like the Great Dane Pub or the Sprecher pub someone recommended earlier?

Peter suggested public library conference rooms so I'll call a couple libraries on Monday.
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

If we decide to meet without lunch/beer, the Middleton Public Library is usually quite accommodating. I could also check on the private room at Sprecher's for noon on the 19th if you'd like. My vote would still be for a place we could get a beer.

:sharebeer Kevin
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

CFOKevin wrote:If we decide to meet without lunch/beer, the Middleton Public Library is usually quite accommodating. I could also check on the private room at Sprecher's for noon on the 19th if you'd like. My vote would still be for a place we could get a beer.

That would be great! If there's beer then I'll be able to convince Mr. Feeley to come along. :D
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

I called over to Sprecher's and reserved their private room at noon on 7/19. The address is 1262 John Q Hammonds Dr in Madison. It sounds like is has potential to be a good regular meeting place with no minimum to use the room. I can vouch for the beer selection and they brew their own root beer, too.

Hope to see lots of you there.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

CFOKevin wrote:I called over to Sprecher's and reserved their private room at noon on 7/19. The address is 1262 John Q Hammonds Dr in Madison. It sounds like is has potential to be a good regular meeting place with no minimum to use the room. I can vouch for the beer selection and they brew their own root beer, too.

Hope to see lots of you there.

Excellent! Thank you, Kevin! Looking forward to meeting everyone. Sprecher's fruit-flavored sodas are one of my passions.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder... First organizational meeting for the Madison (WI) Bogleheads is next Saturday, July 19, noonish at Sprecher's, 1262 John Q Hammonds Dr. See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder... First Boglehead Madison meeting is the day after tomorrow, Saturday, noonish at Sprecher's.
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

I'm sorry to report that I won't be there. We have guests coming in from out of town.

I'll look forward to attending the second meeting.

Cheers,

Kevin
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Sorry you won't be there, Kevin. We will share a toast in your honor! :sharebeer
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Good luck to my friend, LarryG and all the Wisconsin Bogleheads on your Sat. meeting.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Tabasco

Post by Tabasco »

I also cannot make it. Please keep me updated regarding future meetings.
ram

Post by ram »

I cant make it today, but will try in the future.
Ram
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Many thanks to all who came today to the first meeting of the Madison Bogleheads’ chapter! It was a pleasure to meet everyone and hear your stories of how you came to be an index investor. LarryG’s account of meeting Mr. Bogle during the early Boglehead days, and tales of his days in the School of Hard Investing Knocks were especially wonderful to listen to. I don’t know about anyone else, but I picked up several tips while listening to the wide-ranging chat. I also had a very good time both in meeting the delightful people who attended and enjoying the feeling of having finally encountered kindred investing souls.

Tom from the Minnesota chapter was kind enough to attend and share ideas, meeting agendas and organizational advice. Some notes and suggested ideas for our group:

* We should consider ways to get the word out about our group in the Madison area. Membership in the MN Bogleheads group increased significantly after a Minneapolis newspaper financial columnist wrote about the group. We should get our meeting dates posted on the Isthmus calendar. Wisconsin Public Radio’s “On Your Money” show would also be a good outlet to contact. Other publicity ideas would be welcome. It would be nice to be able reach university and government employees.

* The MN Bogleheads meets four times a year. Meetings usually include a speaker or presentation by members on wide-ranging topics from personal investment statements, to asset allocation, withdrawal strategies, Bogle basics, 529 plans, international investing, Social Security, private pension plans, tax lost harvesting, etc. Their most popular meetings have included speakers on tax and estate planning. Tom suggested we find a knowledgeable tax attorney willing to give a presentation. Does anyone know one? CFOKevin, do you know anyone?

Presentations last about 20 minutes, after which the club breaks into small discussion groups.

It almost goes without saying that when scheduling speakers from outside the group care must be taken to avoid financial speakers who are selling products and services.

* Tom reported that summer meetings of the MN Bogleheads don’t usually attract many people because of busy schedules, though fall meetings are far more popular. We discussed maybe having another meeting in September or October. One scheduled so that those who could not attend today’s meeting would be available for the second get-together. Should we post another Doodle poll with dates? A fall meeting date should probably be chosen to avoid conflict with fall football schedules.

Sprecher’s was a perfect place to meet. They provided a large, quiet conference room. A conference room at a Madison public library is also a good option, offering the advantage that people wouldn’t have to order food.

* The MN Bogleheads is organized around a steering committee that handles meetings, speakers, schedules, etc. At this stage I don’t know if we have enough members to actually form a steering committee, but if anyone would like to volunteer to help organize meetings...raise your hand.

Have I missed anything important from today’s discussions?

One of the things which was great about today’s meeting was that, even though there were only six of us in attendance, there was someone from just about every life stage of investing, from young-with-young-children to nearing-retirement to recently-retired to long-retired. Listening to the advice and concerns of other investors at each stage in the game was wonderful and valuable. A speaker wasn’t necessary to provoke some very lively discussion.

A big thank you to Tom for taking the time out of his vacation to come down to share with us his experiences with helping to start the MN chapter!

Thoughts? Should we set up a Doodle poll to schedule a fall meeting? Should we consider scheduling a speaker on perhaps tax-planning, or simply meet for more introductions, organizational discussion and free-ranging chit-chat?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Thanks for sharing the notes from your first meeting, Mrs.Feeley. Continued success to you and the Madison Bogleheads.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

It was enjoyable meeting and hearing other Bogleheads
I think that the "doodle" method of determining the next meeting site would be good. One idea for reaching out to others that may be interested is to ask the organizers of the local group of the AAII meetings to announce our next meeting.
Word of mouth will also work. I told a friend about our meeting and he is interested.
My vote is to hold off on guest speakers until we are better established. We can have discussions about pre-announced subjects or just continue with our "free for all" as in our first meeting.
Just a few ideas.
We may be able to get Mel here in January so he can see what snow looks like.
Larry G
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LarryG wrote:We may be able to get Mel here in January so he can see what snow looks like.
Larry G
That's not going to happen, Larry! The farest north I go before May is Jacksonville FL. My kind of white stuff is sand. :D
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hey, Madison Bogleheads! We should get another meeting planned.

Question: Should we hold our next meeting on a weekday evening so those unavailable on a Saturday afternoon can attend?

'Nother question: Fall in Madison is an important time for football fans. Since I'm not a football fan I'm clueless about what days/evenings will work for local football fans. For instance, there's Monday Night Football, and then the Packers played last Thursday night and... Can someone suggest a few days that will be conflict-free that we can put on a Doodle poll? Should we try to get a meeting together for October or November?

We can do Sprecher's again. I was recently at the Indian restaurant Swagat's on High Point Rd. on a Tuesday night and there were few people there, and it was very quiet. Or we can reserve a room at one of the public libraries like Sequoia.

Finally, we should put together a master list of e-mail addresses and/or Boglehead forum i.d.'s for all who would like to be e-mailed notices of Madison meetings. If you want to be on the list drop me a note or post your i.d. in this message thread.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

I posted a Doodle poll where everyone can vote for their preferred day and time(s) for our next meeting.

https://doodle.com/s4wu7y2rwfkmhzme#table

The Milwaukee chapter is having a meeting in November. It was suggested that we alternate months since some Bogleheads in southern Wisconsin might want to attend both meetings. So I've put up dates and times for an early-mid December meeting. Special preference will be give to the votes of Bogleheads who hoped to attend the summer meeting but were unable to do so due to scheduling conflicts.

So everyone please vote! :D

And please feel free to drop me a note either privately or in this message string if you have any other concerns or suggestions.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Bump!
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I was happy to attend the last meeting but it is unlikely the timing will be such so that I attend then next (St. Paul to Madison is a long commute). I did not think of it until I returned, but the MN Boglerheads has two splinter groups - one east aide and one west side. These two groups meet a few times a year. The west side group is a bit larger with about a dozen people attending - they have an organizer and set an agenda for the meeting (usually in a public library space). The east side group meets at a local Starbucks in one of their small rooms - free if you buy a $25 card I think). Attendance is usually 4 to 7 and there is no set agenda although the organizer tosses out a couple of topics that might be of interest in an e-mail prior to the meeting. The later structure may meet your needs in the near term and a couple locations could be chosen to allow for scheduling conflicts and commutes.

Tom
toddanderson

Post by toddanderson »

I have interest in the next meeting
thank you this sound very interesting
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The results of the Doodle Poll are in! Looks like we're set for a meeting of the Madison Bogleheads at:

Sprecher's Pub
Saturday, December 13
At noon!

Thank you Peter for the great ideas! If any of you have specific topics you'd like to discuss you can post them here or drop me an e-mail. With any luck LeeMKE from the Milwaukee chapter will be there and will be able to offer ideas on how we can publicize the group in Madison and plan to host some Boglehead speakers via Skype.
PlasmaBucky

Post by PlasmaBucky »

I've been meaning to check out Sprecher's at some point. Now I have a good reason to head over there. I even got myself an account to reply to this thread. Thanks for setting the meeting up.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting, PlasmaBucky! I must admit a personal enthusiasm for holding the meetings at Sprecher's. On-tap Sprecher's translates into a higher probability of my convincing my husband to attend than if the meeting were held at a public library. Though I am personally of the Boglehead camp that would prefer meetings to be held in public spaces where no monetary outlays will be involved I am willing to sacrifice frugality for the possibility that maybe one day, with enough Boglehead meetings, my husband will become interested in planning for his retirement rather than just coming home, stamping his feet and shouting "I wanna retire tomorrow!" The food is also great at Sprecher's.

Although there were no specific topics planned for our first meeting I felt like I learned a great deal simply through all the wonderful conversation with other Bogleheads. I hope more join us for this meeting.

See ya there!
aw82

Post by aw82 »

Hi. It takes a lot to drag me away from the isthmus, but if I can get the kids down for an early nap, I might be able to come by.
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

Mrs. Feeley,

I'm looking forward to attending this meeting. Can you let us know how long you expect the meeting to last?

Thanks,

Kevin
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

CFOKevin wrote:Mrs. Feeley,

I'm looking forward to attending this meeting. Can you let us know how long you expect the meeting to last?

Thanks,

Kevin
I believe the first meeting lasted 1.5 hours. Since this one will also be mostly unstructured chit-chat I suspect it will run the same, although folks can certainly leave earlier. Sprecher's has reserved a private room for us so things should be quiet enough to hold a discussion. The room we had last time was great.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder: The Madison Bogleheads will be meeting at noon on Saturday, Dec. 13th, at Sprecher's Pub, 1262 John Q. Hammond, Dr., on Madison's far west side. See ya there!