Poll - Do You Read Businessweek?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Do You Read Businessweek?

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 149

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Poll - Do You Read Businessweek?

Post by abuss368 »

How many Bogleheads read Businessweek?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TimeRunner

Re: Poll - Do You Read Businessweek?

Post by TimeRunner »

deleted
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
chaz

Post by chaz »

I prefer this forum.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Financial publications are not going to get a lot of love from this forum. I'm the only yes so right far. lol...
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Years ago (50) Businessweek used to project themselves as an executives only magazine. Subscribed for a few years and finally stopped.
Recently, as a part of Bloomberg, I started getting some of their email newsletters but for me, Bogleheads offers far more guidance and financial sense than what Businessweek delivers. I voted no because free newsletters probably do not count
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Toons

Post by Toons »

Nope it has been years :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (magazine).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ged

Post by Ged »

If I was going to subscribe to a business magazine it would be The Economist. One of the few really literate publications left.
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

What's Businessweek? :wink:
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Well, you know, if it's a doctor's waiting room and the choice is "Businessweek," "Highlights for Children," or "Martha Stewart Living..."

However, if they have "Medical Economics" I'll go for that one every time.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
davebarnes

Yes

Post by davebarnes »

A subscriber since 1967.
It is an easy read.
Had gotten much better, in my opinion, since Bloomberg.
A nerd living in Denver
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

I just signed up again for it. I like it not for investment but general information. I let my subsciption lapse till they make me an offer, I can not refuse. My current rate 15 bucks per year. /it includes online access too and a free gift :D
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I would like to thank everyone for the excellent responses thus far.

Does anyone feel that there is any overlap with The Wall Street Journal?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Ged wrote:If I was going to subscribe to a business magazine it would be The Economist. One of the few really literate publications left.
I subscribed to the Economist for many years, but gave it up a while ago. It seemed to have drifted into becoming to much of an opinion magazine, and I just wasn't that interested in their opinions.

If I retire soon, I may have time for a few more magazines, and I'll have to look around again.
William4u

Post by William4u »

curmudgeon wrote:
Ged wrote:If I was going to subscribe to a business magazine it would be The Economist. One of the few really literate publications left.
I subscribed to the Economist for many years, but gave it up a while ago. It seemed to have drifted into becoming to much of an opinion magazine, and I just wasn't that interested in their opinions.
I agree. I find The Economist often expresses intelligent but controversial opinions (with which I often disagree) stemming from their British free-market economic neoliberalism (related to libertarianism in the US). Ideology seems to drive much of their articles. Their reporting generally implies "If we really had free markets, things would be a lot better." These kinds of empirical claims are mostly untestable and based on an abstract normative and social theory (e.g., trickle down economics). I don't think that market regulation is the bogeyman as they do.

IMHO, the NYTimes is the best. They make a stronger distinction between the opinion and editorial pieces on the one hand (which are generally left-center ideological, excluding Brooks), and the rest of the paper (which by and large is not ideological). The NYTimes articles on markets and business are less ideologically driven.
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

Only for John Bogle quotes.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 »

I enjoy Business Week and look forward to it each Friday in the mail. I do not read it for investing advice, but for its up to date business news , and news in general, with expanded pieces on certain topics. Its article on GM's problems last month was especially well researched and written. Also the editorial page, which is well written and , I think, unbiased politically.
walker46

Post by walker46 »

William4u wrote:
curmudgeon wrote:
I agree. I find The Economist often expresses intelligent but controversial opinions (with which I often disagree) stemming from their British free-market economic neoliberalism (related to libertarianism in the US). Ideology seems to drive much of their articles. Their reporting generally implies "If we really had free markets, things would be a lot better." These kinds of empirical claims are mostly untestable and based on an abstract normative and social theory (e.g., trickle down economics). I don't think that market regulation is the bogeyman as they do.

IMHO, the NYTimes is the best. They make a stronger distinction between the opinion and editorial pieces on the one hand (which are generally left-center ideological, excluding Brooks), and the rest of the paper (which by and large is not ideological). The NYTimes articles on markets and business are less ideologically driven.
Completely agree with William4u. I'm happy to see that someone else's opinion is the same as mine. Having said that, I still read the Economist, mostly for the international news which I don't seem to be able to find anywhere else. But their neoliberalism spin on everything makes me wonder how much of their reporting can be trusted to be factual.

As for Businessweek, I subscribed for thirty years and watched it decay until Bloomberg took it over. It's improved under Bloomberg but it's still not what it used to be. Still I stopped subscribing to Businessweek a couple of years ago since I found that with all the time I waste on the internet, I don't have near the time to read magazines as I used to.
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

No. I only read free online financial magazines and forums like this.
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

I read Forbes and Money.
DetroitRed

Post by DetroitRed »

It's gotten much better since Bloomberg bought it. Bloomberg has the largest news staff in the world and employs many very good business reporters. The other business pubs like Fortune and Forbes do fewer articles that require reporting (because they've had to cut staff). Businessweek has at least 3 articles a week that requires reporting (as opposed to articles that just comment on the news).
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Pas du tout.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I read Businessweek for many years but stopped paying for it about 5 years ago. A similar situation with Fortune. Both were excellent reportings of how the world worked, esp Fortune with in depth articles on companies.

Perhaps it's me, but I have so little interest in stories mainly about twitter, facebook, etc. I think its a function of the audience the advertisers want. They want the demographic that spends money; the same that tweets, etc. So the stories are written for that audience.

I get occasional email offers for a free year of Bloomberg BW. I tried it twice. It's not a come-on per se; I believe its a way to show the advertisers they have circulation. I used to pay $40 for Fortune 15 years ago. I thought a $30 price as a 'valued corporate subscriber" was great. Five or so years ago I got an offer for Fortune for $12 for 1 year, $19 for 2 years and $20 for 3 years. The 3 yr rate is less than the equivalent postage on a 1st class letter. I signed up. When that ran out they gave me an additional year for free; then another year for free. It comes in the mail and I'm through with it in 30 minutes, usually less. And its a third or more ad pages or special advertising sections for Russia, Malaysia, etc.

I got an offer for Wired magazine for $5/year, up to 3 years. I took that one as well. I enjoy it but not as much as I used to.
gypsylady

Post by gypsylady »

Have read it for 20+ years- I agree that it's been much better since Bloomberg bought it.
jdb

Post by jdb »

I let subscription lapse about 30 years ago after their infamous cover article proclaiming the "Death of Equities". That was right before commencement of boom market in equities. Now get financial info from subscriptions to WSJ and NYT and Economist. And Bloomberg Mobile. Also had subscription to Financial Times and really enjoyed the weekend edition but they could not get act together on home deliveries so reluctantly cancelled. And of course this site and the books recommended here which is the best.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

They still publish that magazine ...?? I thought they killed that one off years ago.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

heartwood wrote:I read Businessweek for many years but stopped paying for it about 5 years ago. A similar situation with Fortune. Both were excellent reportings of how the world worked, esp Fortune with in depth articles on companies.

Perhaps it's me, but I have so little interest in stories mainly about twitter, facebook, etc. I think its a function of the audience the advertisers want. They want the demographic that spends money; the same that tweets, etc. So the stories are written for that audience.

I get occasional email offers for a free year of Bloomberg BW. I tried it twice. It's not a come-on per se; I believe its a way to show the advertisers they have circulation. I used to pay $40 for Fortune 15 years ago. I thought a $30 price as a 'valued corporate subscriber" was great. Five or so years ago I got an offer for Fortune for $12 for 1 year, $19 for 2 years and $20 for 3 years. The 3 yr rate is less than the equivalent postage on a 1st class letter. I signed up. When that ran out they gave me an additional year for free; then another year for free. It comes in the mail and I'm through with it in 30 minutes, usually less. And its a third or more ad pages or special advertising sections for Russia, Malaysia, etc.

I got an offer for Wired magazine for $5/year, up to 3 years. I took that one as well. I enjoy it but not as much as I used to.
Basically my reply, but I still love reading Fortune and re-upped for more years on the same sweet promo $20 for 3 you got. My fave mag by far, their in-depth articles are great. I am in high tech so I like their tech tilt.
Bloomberg has been spamming hard with great deals but I prefer Fortune style articles and writing to the quick-hit BW style, although it is a very stylish mag with good content.
I also get Inc. on a similar $20/3 deal. It's like Fortune for the entrepreneurship set.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
john94549

Post by john94549 »

I read 'em all, except for the WSJ. And that's more an issue of time. By the time I've read the NYT and the Chronicle, it's time for a nap. After the nap and lunch, it's periodicals. Then early news and a cocktail, followed by national news (and a cocktail). Round it out with Harper's and/or Vanity Fair, maybe a movie.

I do agree The Economist is deeper; well worth the subscription. But Bloomberg/BusinessWeek has its own merits and is easy reading.

Support periodicals and print journalism. We do take a free press* for granted, it seems.

*Free as in the concept, not the implementation, if you get the drift.
Ged

Post by Ged »

William4u wrote: IMHO, the NYTimes is the best. They make a stronger distinction between the opinion and editorial pieces on the one hand (which are generally left-center ideological, excluding Brooks), and the rest of the paper (which by and large is not ideological). The NYTimes articles on markets and business are less ideologically driven.
The NYT is generally well written, however I don't think the claim that it (or any other news source) does not have an ideological bias holds water. For example there are quantitative studies that show clear trends in whether reports of economic statistics are reported favorably or not depends on the party in power as much as the actual measurement result. And yes the NYT was one of the newspapers found to practice this.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

The publication is now Bloomberg's Businesweek. The feature articles, some of which are not directly business related items, are a bit more sophisticated and in depth than those found in similar publications.

Many of the Bloomberg articles eventually appear on the Bloomberg News website.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee