TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rob

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by rob »

Sorry - didn't read the millions of past replies before responding :-)

The Newsroom - Just got the 1st season so far and cracker of a first episode with real news sprinkled in.
Life on Mars - (The UK version... have not seen the US version) - Absolutely Friggin Brilliant for a child of the 70's :-)
Person of Interest - Not too bad - little repetous after the first season.
Michael Palin - Any of his travel shows... even the first steam train one is okay :-) His group projects were not 1/2 bad either 8-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I'm enjoying Fargo.
texasred

Post by texasred »

So many great mentions but we have forgotten Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bracket

Post by Bracket »

My favorite show was, is, and will always be Seinfeld.

Others that I consider great are :

Sopranos
Rome
Game of Thrones
Topic Author
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Sherlock

More than 100 years later Sir Arthur Conan Doyles detective still wows his audience.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Seinfeld. Currently, Suits.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Agents of Shield
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

The countdown continues for "24":

24: Live Another Day
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
runthetrails

Post by runthetrails »

For those who have Netflix, check out Lilyhammer - a quirky crime dramedy IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes. Love this show.

On mainstream TV I have been enjoying

The Americans
Homeland
Archer
The Venture Bros
Count Arthur Strong (IMDB)-- found season 1 online and thought this was a riot. Apparently this was a long-running British radio program and is just making the transition to TV.
Justified
Luther - great cop drama on BBC; too few episodes per season
Orange is the New Black
Sherlock

I recently re-watched the full runs of Blackadder and The Vicar of Dibley on DVD. I sure wish they made more shows like these.
My all-time favorites are also British:
1) Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster
2) Rumpole of the Bailey with Leo McKern
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

My current favorites are:

Suits
Parks and Recreation
Orange is the New Black
House of Cards
Game of Thrones
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Sleepy Hollow and Grimm are the two favorites in this household. Sadly, not enough episodes are shot of either and there are so many breaks between episodes!
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Favorite current shows are Orphan Black, True Detective, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and Arrow.
Previous: Breaking Bad, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica
Some great seasons, but not my favorite overall series: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Heroes, Lost, 24
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

My wife and I Enjoy the good wife and scandal. I like the walking dead even though the quality of the episodes is somewhat uneven.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

jginseattle wrote:I'm enjoying Fargo.
I loved the first episode. The second was a bit slow and boring. Hopefully, It will improve...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

snyder66 wrote:
I loved the first episode. The second was a bit slow and boring. Hopefully, It will improve...
I put Fargo up with my current favorite shows: The Americans,Nurse Jackie, Boardwalk Empire, The Bridge, and Homeland.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Just discovered Orphan Black, watched the first season when they did the marathon prior to launching the second season. Great performance by the actress that plays the lead as multiple clones of herself, interesting mystery regarding who is doing the experiment to make the clones and why someone is out to kill them all.
Mike
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

HIinvestor wrote:Sleepy Hollow and Grimm are the two favorites in this household. Sadly, not enough episodes are shot of either and there are so many breaks between episodes!
I thought Grimm was great in season one. For me personally, season three has gotten so bad that I may not watch anymore. You can say, "Oh no, not a Slacklefargen!!!!" only so many times before it loses its affect. Highly recommend the first season, though.
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

Sorry to say, but I had to give up on Justified. I like a little more "John Wayne" in my main characters and a little less...well, I'll leave it at that.
gd

Post by gd »

I found it sad to read comments scornful of the special effects on a site streaming The Outer Limits reruns; it was magnificent zeitgeist. But if you all get bored, feel free to redo Wikipedia during commercials next weekend:
http://boingboing.net/2008/04/27/death- ... itcom.html
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

oneleaf wrote:Favorite current shows are Orphan Black, True Detective, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and Arrow.
Some great seasons, but not my favorite overall series: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Heroes, Lost, 24
By the way, if you're a fan of BSG, Lost, and Heroes, you should check out the current version of Hawaii Five-0.

Not because it's a "great" show (although it's a decent enough), but because it's nice to see some of the actors from those other shows:
  • Daniel Dae Kim ("Jin" from Lost) is a main character.
  • Grace Park ("Boomer/Athena" from BSG) plays his cousin, also a main character
  • Masi Oka ("Hiro" on Heroes) is a main character
  • Lost's Terry O'Quinn ("John Locke") and Jorge Garcia ("Hurley") both play recurring characters.
  • One-off guest stars from Lost include Henry Ian Cusick ("Desmond"), Tania Raymonde ("Alex"), and Jeff Fahey ("Frank Lapidus")
  • Heroes' Greg Grunberg ("Matt Parkman") guested on an episode
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

JupiterJones wrote:
oneleaf wrote:Favorite current shows are Orphan Black, True Detective, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and Arrow.
By the way, if you're a fan of BSG, Lost, and Heroes, you should check out the current version of Hawaii Five-0.

Not because it's a "great" show (although it's a decent enough), but because it's nice to see some of the actors from those other shows:
  • Daniel Dae Kim ("Jin" from Lost) is a main character.
  • Grace Park ("Boomer/Athena" from BSG) plays his cousin, also a main character
  • Masi Oka ("Hiro" on Heroes) is a main character
  • Lost's Terry O'Quinn ("John Locke") and Jorge Garcia ("Hurley") both play recurring characters.
  • One-off guest stars from Lost include Henry Ian Cusick ("Desmond"), Tania Raymonde ("Alex"), and Jeff Fahey ("Frank Lapidus")
  • Heroes' Greg Grunberg ("Matt Parkman") guested on an episode
We always watch Hawaii Five-0. Good show.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
goalie

Post by goalie »

Walking Dead
Arrow
Orphan Black on BBC
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

"24" is back in all it's glory! Jack Bauer is darker than ever....as is Chloe. Love it!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Everyone Loves Raymond

Shark Tank
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

FYI, Amazon Prime now has a bunch of HBO TV shows. I'm watching The Wire right now.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

SOOOOO thankful for my Directv Genie DVR which enables me to watch way too much tv..... In no particular order current shows....NCIS,Good Wife,Modern Family,White Collar,Game of Thrones,Scandal,Amazing Race,Survivor,Person of Interest,Arrow,Orphan Black,24,Suits,Grimm,Shark Tank,Blue Bloods,Marvel Agents of Shield,The Voice,Elementary,Americans and Homeland
Last edited by hoops777 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Ged

Post by Ged »

gd wrote:I found it sad to read comments scornful of the special effects on a site streaming The Outer Limits reruns; it was magnificent zeitgeist. But if you all get bored, feel free to redo Wikipedia during commercials next weekend:
http://boingboing.net/2008/04/27/death- ... itcom.html
Sacrilege. The first TV series I ever had on optical media was a collection of Outer Limits episodes on Laser Disc!

I later re-bought it on DVD. The episode titled "Demon With a Glass Hand" one of the major landmarks of TV SciFi. Written by Harlan Ellison and starring Robert Culp.
Last edited by Ged on Fri May 23, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyrab

Post by bobbyrab »

Fargo, the new Breaking Bad.
Remember - the tortoise DID beat the hare.
BigTom

Post by BigTom »

The following (great new show , everyone should be watching )
True blood
Dexter (might be my favorite series ever )
Ink masters (reality show)
Modern family
Boardwalk empire (amazing show but tough first season setup , second season on was awesome )
The league (hilarious)
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I see Homeland mentioned a couple of times, I am watching it from Netflix.Love it :!:
John
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Really enjoyed first and second season of The Americans. Great acting, characters, sets, story telling, but I thought the finale jumped the shark with Jared's character.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

House of Cards (Netflix)

Blue Bloods

Person of Interest

Dexter

LynnC
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Okay! I've been watching a lot of TV shows on Netflix/Amazon/DVD over the last several years, and here's a list, in rough order, of shows (all dramas, no comedies or reality TV) that I think are engaging and highly worth watching (depending on your taste of course :) ) Shows at the top remain among the best I've ever seen, shows closer to the bottom are shows that greatly entertained me but I concede are probably not quite as good:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Foyle's War
The Shield
Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
Justified
The Americans
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
The West Wing
Battlestar Galactica
Boardwalk Empire
Sherlock
Jericho (Season 1)
Homeland (Seasons 1-2)
Twin Peaks
Prison Break (Seasons 1-2)
Rubicon
Alias
Luther
The Walking Dead
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

+1
rm

Post by rm »

house of cards - a fast paced political thriller
lampshade

Post by lampshade »

The Americans
The Big Bang Theory
The Black List
Elementary
Intelligence
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Game of Thrones - gore, sex and politics, what more can I guy want?
Sherlock - only 3 seasons and 9 episodes, each about 100 minutes long
True Detective - 8 episodes, very dark
Twin Peaks - Lynch's strange series
Shogun - just released in Blue-ray
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

Any reality show related to Alaska, buying Alaska, selling Alaska, Alaska bush people, Kodiak….
I have never been there, but I love alaska, I wish it wasn't so cold :D
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

MoonOrb wrote:Okay! I've been watching a lot of TV shows on Netflix/Amazon/DVD over the last several years, and here's a list, in rough order, of shows (all dramas, no comedies or reality TV) that I think are engaging and highly worth watching (depending on your taste of course :) ) Shows at the top remain among the best I've ever seen, shows closer to the bottom are shows that greatly entertained me but I concede are probably not quite as good:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Foyle's War
The Shield
Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
Justified
The Americans
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
The West Wing
Battlestar Galactica
Boardwalk Empire
Sherlock
Jericho (Season 1)
Homeland (Seasons 1-2)
Twin Peaks
Prison Break (Seasons 1-2)
Rubicon
Alias
Luther
The Walking Dead
Rubicon! I remember that very short lived show from AMC!
tony44

Post by tony44 »

Maybe I missed it but no fans of the History Cannnels Vikings? This show is historically accurate, of movie quality and well acted. I highly suggest Vikings. Get the Season One DVD from the library and start from the beginning. It explodes right from the opening scene.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

tony44 wrote:Maybe I missed it but no fans of the History Cannnels Vikings? This show is historically accurate, of movie quality and well acted. I highly suggest Vikings. Get the Season One DVD from the library and start from the beginning. It explodes right from the opening scene.
History Channel disappoints me anymore. Years ago it had real history programs. Now it has become more like MTV with reality oriented programs. To have Pawn Stars playing (which is a funny show) on Memorial Day is unfortunate.
tony44

Post by tony44 »

abuss368 wrote:
tony44 wrote:Maybe I missed it but no fans of the History Cannnels Vikings? This show is historically accurate, of movie quality and well acted. I highly suggest Vikings. Get the Season One DVD from the library and start from the beginning. It explodes right from the opening scene.
History Channel disappoints me anymore. Years ago it had real history programs. Now it has become more like MTV with reality oriented programs. To have Pawn Stars playing (which is a funny show) on Memorial Day is unfortunate.
Agreed!
but this show is an exception
bru

Post by bru »

Has Veep been mentioned?

Great writing and acting. And I imagine it is a fairly accurate depiction of what goes on in D.C.

Now that Selina is running for President it is even more hilarious.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

The new season of Orange is the New Black comes out next week. It's a decent show. Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but one of my favorite comedies is Arrested Development. Perhaps it's an acquired taste- but I and many of my friends found it consistently hilarious.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
denovo

Post by denovo »

For at least every show I'd recommend, there's a common theme. The early seasons were usually great, with a noticeable down trend in quality towards the later seasons, in some circumstances , rendering them almost unwatchable. There are a few exceptions as I'll note below.

The West Wing (Seasons 5-7 watchable, but not as good as the first 4)
Everybody Loves Raymond (one of the exceptions, remained hilarious throughout the entire series, in fact I think Season 1 was the least impressive)
House (first 4 seasons great, the rest barely watchable)
Desperate Housewives (Seasons 1-5 great, the rest stale)
How I Met your Mother (Noticeable fall in quality by the end of season 5, worst series finale in tv history)
Sopranos (consistent quality throughout the entire series)
Big Bang Theory (starting to get stale over the last 2 seasons, rehashing jokes)
The Good Wife ( I think this last season is going to be the peak because of cast changes)
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
midareff

Post by midareff »

NCIS and NCIS LA, ...... and of course Jack is back for another 24
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

midareff wrote:and of course Jack is back for another 24
Actually, he's only back for 12. He's taking a half day. (It's a 12-episode mini-season.)

I second the recommendation, though.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Charlie Rose,C-Span in general
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
dl7848

Post by dl7848 »

midareff wrote:NCIS and NCIS LA, ...... and of course Jack is back for another 24
NCIS - the show that never dies.

I'm amazed it's still on. Not that it's not a good show, but it's longevity is unreal. The commercials all say it's the "most popular show on TV", which I think is a bit of hype...and I know nobody that watches it. But it's been on since 2003. That's quite a run.