newbie question - after hours market orders w/ vanguard

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
forkhorn

newbie question - after hours market orders w/ vanguard

Post by forkhorn »

I get home after the stock market closes and do not have the kind of job where I can log in and buy/sell from work. For mutual funds, I understand there is nothing to fear (as long as you're not trying to time the market) with making an order the night before. But with individual stocks, if I make a market order in the evening, will vanguard wait until the markets open the next day (what I want) or will they sell it into an after-hours market with a huge spread (what I do *not* want)? I looked at the FAQ page and searched this forum a little but could not find the answer. Of course I could use a limit order, but if the price drops on some news overnight it is fine with me if it sells lower, and so don't want to use limits unless I really have to. Thanks.
Last edited by forkhorn on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TPayne17

Re: newbie question - after hours market orders w/ vanguard

Post by TPayne17 »

I believe if you buy after the market closes then you will get the end price of the next business day. If you buy before the market closes you will get the ending price of that day. Hope this helps.
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

TPayne17 wrote:I believe if you buy after the market closes then you will get the end price of the next business day. If you buy before the market closes you will get the ending price of that day. Hope this helps.
He's asking about stocks/ETFs not mutual funds.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

TPayne17 wrote:I believe if you buy after the market closes then you will get the end price of the next business day. If you buy before the market closes you will get the ending price of that day. Hope this helps.
I don't really think that's right..... but livesoft will know.
JW
added .... perfect setup.
Last edited by JW-Retired on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired at Last
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard BS does not offer extended hours trading, so if you enter an order when the market is not open, it will be executed as soon as possible after the next market open.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

Thanks- that is what I wanted to know.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

And most brokerages that do offer after hours trading you have to specifically sign up for it so the default is at market open (which has its own concerns).