2014 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

2014 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

4-16-14 UPDATE

Hi Everyone:

The 2014 Bogleheads Conference SOLD OUT in just seven weeks and we won't be taking any more reservation requests. In future years, if you want to attend, you need to act promptly once the announcement is posted here on the forum (around March 1st of each year).

Best regards,

Mel

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2014 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 22, 2014. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 24, 2014.

Our special guest for our Conference is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity.

Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Mel Lindauer, Mike Piper, Allan Roth, and our own “Queen” Laura Dogu.

And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Office at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year. After doing a presentation on Friday, Gus will join the Experts Panel for the Q&A session.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for a presentation and an extended Q&A session with Jack. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. There will also be a simultaneous breakout session on Boglehead Local Chapters and an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll hear from Gus Sauter, followed by two Q&A sessions with our Expert Panels.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$250 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your reservation early by sending in your registration fee right away to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out early and we expect to do so again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.

To make your reservation for the Conference, please send an email with your Boglehead® login name, your real name, and your contact email address to:

BogleheadsConference@gmail.com.

Please include the words “2014 Bogleheads® Conference form request” in the subject line.

Once your payment is received, you will be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as Airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $134 per night (king or double queen) plus 8% tax. This special rate is available from Oct 20 through Oct 25. Other nights are at a reduced rate of $147 per night for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to find other accommodations.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel Lindauer, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: 2014 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Since everything is set, I posted the announcement a few days early.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bump for visibility.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bump for visibility.
Norris

Post by Norris »

Thanks, Mel. I sent in a check for DW and myself, the registration was received and I reserved a "room at the Inn". The wife and I are looking forward to attending our 2nd Bogleheads conference, meeting new folks and enjoying the camaraderie.

Norris
haban01

Post by haban01 »

Check is in the mail!!!! This should be a great event! If you have never gone before and can make it sign up before it's too late!!!!! I've been to a good number of them.
Eric | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless"
avram53

Post by avram53 »

I look forward to attending again! (attended four from 2006 through 2009)

Check is in the mail.

Ave
Last edited by avram53 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My registration is confirmed. I'm also looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I also received confirmation. I am excited that DW will be joining me this year.
Taylor Larimore

"Here Come the Bogleheads"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mel Lindauer, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”):

Thank you for the Announcement and your many hours of hard work behind the scene.

I have never heard of a single person who attended any of our Conferences (formerly called, Reunions) being disappointed. This article by Jason Zweig is about one of our Conferences:

HERE COME THE BOGLEHEADS

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

I enjoyed reading that article and although a line in it said, "No question is considered too stupid," I'll let you decide how stupid mine is and just ask it anyway since I doubt I'm the only one thinking it... I would love to attend this conference but two things prevent me from writing the email:

First, since there are only 250 spots, if I go then someone else who deserves it more won't get a chance to. Deserves because they are older, more wealthy, have more posts, whatever.

Second, at best, I can only get one friend from this site to attend with me and neither of us would know anyone else. I feel like if we attended we would find a clique of 248 super-rich people who mostly have all known each other for 15+ years and will ask each other, "Who are these two and who let 'em in?? MEL! TAYLOR! Security!!!"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

schyuyler74 - You've got this backwards. Let me answer this way:

1. The people who most deserve to go are the ones who need the most help. You'd be surprised how many attendees were lurkers - those reading the forum but don't post. You've "only" got 93 posts? Jump right in. It's the job of the presenters, not the attendees, to make sure you get a good education.

2. I didn't know anyone when I first joined, either. Actually, you already know quite a number of people (me, for example). It's just that you haven't finalized the greeting in person.

Super-rich? That's a matter of perspective. Write the email.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I will second ladygeek's advice to schuyler74.

I have been to 3 of the BH reunions and by and large everyone is most interested in talking with everyone else.

No one has a monopoly on knowledge and the BH's I have met are very willing to share their knowledge in person just as they do on this board.

Besides what a thrill it is to be able to hear and meet luminaries like Gus Sauter, Bill Bernstein et al. not to mention our hero Jack Bogle.

I strongly suggest you and your friend make the commitment to attend. It is a sound investment and a lot of fun.
Taylor Larimore

I can only get one friend from this site to attend with me and neither of us would know anyone else. I feel like if we attended we would find a clique of 248 super-rich people who mostly have all known each other for 15+ years and will ask each other, "Who are these two and who let 'em in?? MEL! TAYLOR! Security!!!"
Schuyler:

Read about Ann Brennan in the link I posted earlier. She had the same concerns about not knowing anyone else that you have.

I don't know where you got the idea Bogleheads are mostly "super-rich people." We're not. In any event, younger and newer investors will probably benefit the most (because they have longer to invest).

Best wishes.
Taylor

Edit added: In a February 2011 forum poll, 29% of Bogleheads claimed a net worth (including home equity, etc) of over $1-million. 32% had a net worth under $500,000.
haban01

Post by haban01 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
I can only get one friend from this site to attend with me and neither of us would know anyone else. I feel like if we attended we would find a clique of 248 super-rich people who mostly have all known each other for 15+ years and will ask each other, "Who are these two and who let 'em in?? MEL! TAYLOR! Security!!!"
Schuyler:

Read about Ann Brennan in the link I posted earlier. She had the same concerns about not knowing anyone else that you have.

I don't know where you got the idea Bogleheads are mostly "super-rich people." We're not. In any event, younger and newer investors will probably benefit the most (because they have longer to invest).

Best wishes.
Taylor

I walked in the room at Diehards/Bogleheads 3 in Chicago and was a stranger for about 30 seconds and Taylor came up and welcomed me. I was the youngest there at 19. It is a great group of people! Having Vanguard on board now along with Gus there is even better!
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

How many people can attend this event? I saw the 250 quickly above and thought that was the number but it's the price. Can't be too many people, right? How could Mr. Bogle lead a tour of a few thousand through the Vanguard complex?
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

schuyler74 wrote:I enjoyed reading that article and although a line in it said, "No question is considered too stupid," I'll let you decide how stupid mine is and just ask it anyway since I doubt I'm the only one thinking it... I would love to attend this conference but two things prevent me from writing the email:

First, since there are only 250 spots, if I go then someone else who deserves it more won't get a chance to. Deserves because they are older, more wealthy, have more posts, whatever.

Second, at best, I can only get one friend from this site to attend with me and neither of us would know anyone else. I feel like if we attended we would find a clique of 248 super-rich people who mostly have all known each other for 15+ years and will ask each other, "Who are these two and who let 'em in?? MEL! TAYLOR! Security!!!"
I'm certain you will find just the opposite. Most Boglehead's are LBYM and you will be hard pressed to point out an uberich attendee based on dress or attitude. Last year was my first conference, and yes I was little apprehensive to attend alone, but given that we are all there for much the same reason, there was no 'ice' to break.

I look forward to meeting you this year at BH14

John Clark :sharebeer
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
haban01

Post by haban01 »

schuyler74 wrote:How many people can attend this event? I saw the 250 quickly above and thought that was the number but it's the price. Can't be too many people, right? How could Mr. Bogle lead a tour of a few thousand through the Vanguard complex?
In years past as I recall that it has been about 100 people or so. Normally, Jack does his presentation separate from Vanguard which provides an awesome panel of experts!
Bonnan

Post by Bonnan »

Schuyler74
If you attend and care to join my wife and I on Wed eve consider it an invite!
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

Thank you, Bonnan! I appreciate the friendly gesture. At this point, I just need to hope that by the time I make the decision there are still spots left! Sounds like the place fills up fast.

FWIW, I found on a Google search that in 2012 the conference hosted roughly 200 attendees.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Norris wrote:Thanks, Mel. I sent in a check for DW and myself, the registration was received and I reserved a "room at the Inn". The wife and I are looking forward to attending our 2nd Bogleheads conference, meeting new folks and enjoying the camaraderie.

Norris
Looking forward to seeing you and your wife in October, Norris.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

haban01 wrote:Check is in the mail!!!! This should be a great event! If you have never gone before and can make it sign up before it's too late!!!!! I've been to a good number of them.
Hi Eric:

Glad to see your name on the registration list again. It's been a while, but you've had lots going on in the interim. When I last saw you, you were a single guy, but now you're a married man. Glad to see your new bride is letting you attend.

See you in October.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I sent my check in after getting my initial email reply. Snail mail takes a day longer getting to the other coast.
Hoping to get confirmation of receipt later today or tomorrow...
Attempted new signature...
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

schuyler74 wrote:I enjoyed reading that article and although a line in it said, "No question is considered too stupid," I'll let you decide how stupid mine is and just ask it anyway since I doubt I'm the only one thinking it... I would love to attend this conference but two things prevent me from writing the email:

You should go alone if needed. I go by myself and I would guess many many are there by themselves. The room is set up with a bunch of round tables each for 10 people or so. You pick a table, any table, for 10 or so, and everyone interacts, so no need to feel shy about it. You even can change tables the next day. Meals are buffet and you come and go as you want. Pretty laid back.

It is well worth it to go.

This is my 3rd one.

Dan
Dan999
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

The check is in the mail. Looking forward to it! I registered back in 2012 for BH10 and had to cancel last minute due to a scheduling conflict. Hoping that won't happen this time!

Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
thedayisbrave

Post by thedayisbrave »

My check is in the mail! It's a bit of a shot in the dark as I don't know what my work situation will be then, but I'm hoping it won't pose a problem :) It was too good of an opportunity to pass up!

By the way, I'll be coming alone. No shame!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

avram53 wrote:I look forward to attending again! (attended four from 2006 through 2009)

Check is in the mail.

Ave
Welcome back, Ave. It's been a while. Will be good to see you again.
Taylor Larimore

A meal to remember.

Ave:

I remember when you walked into the restaurant before our Las Vegas Conference. You were alone and I invited you to sit next to me. We had a delightful meal together!

Welcome back!

Best wishes
Taylor
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Taylor,

I remember well. You made me feel very welcome at my first BH gathering. Thanks again.

And that experience is what all interested people need to know......that if you are new to the Bogleheads,
and interested in learning about investing and meeting the people who share this same interest as you.... including wonderful contributors such as Taylor, Mel, Laura, Rick, and so many others, you will be warmly welcomed and feel right at home.

Those of us who read and participate in this forum are a kindred group. We care about saving and investing and using money wisely. And many of us like to keep it real "simple", just like Jack Bogle. In fact, "simplicity" is one of the main take aways from all my Boglehead reading and learning.

Best,
Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
family_doc

Post by family_doc »

Hi all!

Looking forward to seeing all of our friends again. Mel, Marlene, Taylor, other Mel & Cathy, Paul & Linda, Sue, Gail, Greg, all of the panelists, and many others we have met over the years. Nice to hear that Ave will be there. How's the music? You too, Eric. Congrats on the marriage;best wishes! Philly cheesesteak run? I will be coming by car!

Newbies. Don't be afraid to come, either as a solo or duet. EVERYBODY is friendly, outgoing, conversant, and like minded. Lots of neat personal stories to hear and tell. Everybody talks to everybody, even the guest speakers and panelists. Some of us, (as my darling wife reminds me, actually never stop talking!%$#@&^?)

Looking forward to our 8th, (I think!).

with kindest regards,

family_doc
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I'm looking forward to my first BH conference and will be there solo, so I'll "feel your pain" with any other newbs to the conference.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:My registration is confirmed. I'm also looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Good thing you're registered, LG, since I had already put you on the Agenda for your annual demo. :D
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

BrandonBogle wrote:I'm looking forward to my first BH conference and will be there solo, so I'll "feel your pain" with any other newbs to the conference.

This is my first year and I will also be going alone. It sounds like there will be several of us.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mel Lindauer wrote:...Good thing you're registered, LG, since I had already put you on the Agenda for your annual demo.
To explain to the new attendees, the demo will occur during the breakout session. I'll have my laptop and show how to edit the wiki, along with answering questions. I'll also show our Canadian sister site's wiki: finiki, the Canadian financial wiki
Mel Lindauer wrote: There will also be a simultaneous breakout session on Boglehead Local Chapters and an ongoing wiki demonstration.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

My first year attending (though not first registration :oops: ) and I'll be alone too! Looking forward to meeting you all!

Don
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi schuyler:

For you and others who might be concerned about coming alone and not knowing anyone, as others have told you, there's really nothing to worry about. Our events normally end up with about 50% of the attendees being first-timers. You'll find that everyone is friendly and anxious to talk to other Bogleheads. That goes for Jack Bogle and all the rest of the "celebs" as well. So put your fears at rest and get your reservation in before all the spots are gone. As you noted in a later post, there are only 200 spots, not 250.

It's an experience you'll never forget (or regret).
swimirvine

Post by swimirvine »

I'm registered and I reserved a room! I've only been a "boglehead" since May 2013 so this is will be my first meeting. I'll be driving up from the Baltimore area. My family will be driving up on Friday and we'll spend the weekend in Philadelphia.

Looking forward to it!
The way I invest my money is not the right way to invest, it's the right way for ME to invest.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

swimirvine wrote:I'm registered and I reserved a room! I've only been a "boglehead" since May 2013 so this is will be my first meeting. I'll be driving up from the Baltimore area. My family will be driving up on Friday and we'll spend the weekend in Philadelphia.

Looking forward to it!
My check went into the mail yesterday, so hopefully I get a spot. I will be flying though and only became a Boglehead 3 months before you. Looking forward to it! I love my local chapter meetings, so I'm sure this will be a great experience.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dickenjb wrote:I also received confirmation. I am excited that DW will be joining me this year.
It's always nice when your spouse shows an interest in something you're interested in. We do have lots of couples attending.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I went two years ago for the first time and dragged my dad along with me. We didn't know anyone in advance except through this board. It's an amazing experience. The group is extremely friendly, very inclusive, and a lot of fun. The panels and panelists are great. Anyone who wants to go shouldn't hesitate for any reason - you will get your money's worth and more.

I wish I could go again this fall, but my mom's 70th birthday calls. This is the second year in a row that Hawaii wins out over Bogleheads, but 2015 is already on my calendar!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BrandonBogle wrote:I'm looking forward to my first BH conference and will be there solo, so I'll "feel your pain" with any other newbs to the conference.
You and the other first-time attendees can rest easy. Normally, around 50% of the attendees are first-timers and the other 50% are returnees who enjoyed their previous experiences and want to return for more.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Don Christy wrote:The check is in the mail. Looking forward to it! I registered back in 2012 for BH10 and had to cancel last minute due to a scheduling conflict. Hoping that won't happen this time!

Don
Let's hope that things work out as far as scheduling goes this year and that we see you in Philly!
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Don Christy wrote:The check is in the mail. Looking forward to it! I registered back in 2012 for BH10 and had to cancel last minute due to a scheduling conflict. Hoping that won't happen this time!

Don
Let's hope that things work out as far as scheduling goes this year and that we see you in Philly!
Thanks Mel! Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Well, it's not like Hawaii is a bad alternative! :-) See you next year. And a very Happy 70th birthday to your Mom.
letsgobobby wrote:I went two years ago for the first time and dragged my dad along with me. We didn't know anyone in advance except through this board. It's an amazing experience. The group is extremely friendly, very inclusive, and a lot of fun. The panels and panelists are great. Anyone who wants to go shouldn't hesitate for any reason - you will get your money's worth and more.

I wish I could go again this fall, but my mom's 70th birthday calls. This is the second year in a row that Hawaii wins out over Bogleheads, but 2015 is already on my calendar!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BrandonBogle wrote:
swimirvine wrote:I'm registered and I reserved a room! I've only been a "boglehead" since May 2013 so this is will be my first meeting. I'll be driving up from the Baltimore area. My family will be driving up on Friday and we'll spend the weekend in Philadelphia.

Looking forward to it!
My check went into the mail yesterday, so hopefully I get a spot. I will be flying though and only became a Boglehead 3 months before you. Looking forward to it! I love my local chapter meetings, so I'm sure this will be a great experience.
You should be fine. Even though our Treasurer is away on a trip now, he'll assign spots based on the postmark on the payment envelopes when he returns.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We already have reservation requests for 131 of the 200 available seats. Looks like another early sellout. Have you got your request in yet?
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Don Christy wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Don
Thanks Mel! Looking forward to meeting everyone.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience, Don.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bump for visibility.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I've tried to email my request to attend twice, but no joy.
What am I doing wrong?
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RedRose wrote:I've tried to email my request to attend twice, but no joy.
What am I doing wrong?
Did you send your request to BogleheadsConference@gmail.com ?

If you're still having trouble, you can PM me with the requested information and I'll see that it gets taken care of.