VZW Customers Check Out New Plans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jridger2011

VZW Customers Check Out New Plans

Post by jridger2011 »

Hi all,

In case you have not heard, VZW announced some competitive pricing for data plans (finally) and the potential savings is about $10 per month.
gordon9775

Re: VZW Customers Check Out New Plans

Post by gordon9775 »

I would urge every VZW smartphone customer to check this out. We have been averaging 75MB/month data usage since buying this phone six months ago. I've just switched us to 250MB/mo which for us is a $15 monthly savings.
‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much.’ Matthew 25:21
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

To add, I don't think this affects those of us on the $60/month Loyalty plan. Heard this from others and took a look at my account online too. Still have just 2GB/month.
maxim81

Post by maxim81 »

Ugh.. weak plans by Verizon.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We got an email from them that they doubled our data quota.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

I just logged into verizonwireless and clicked on "change my plan" and didn't see anything that looked like a discount.

We have 3 iphones and a USB modem - the phones are $40 each, the modem is $20 and we share 6 GB of data between the devices Unlimited talk and text. Total price is $220 per month for all devices.

Where do you see these new plans?
DRT

Post by DRT »

tbradnc wrote:I just logged into verizonwireless and clicked on "change my plan" and didn't see anything that looked like a discount.

We have 3 iphones and a USB modem - the phones are $40 each, the modem is $20 and we share 6 GB of data between the devices Unlimited talk and text. Total price is $220 per month for all devices.

Where do you see these new plans?
It looks like the changes are only to the lower usage data plans.

250MB $15/mo NEW!
500MB $30/mo NEW!
500MB changes to 1GB $40/mo
1GB changes to 2GB $50/mo
2GB changes to 3GB $60/mo

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/land ... verything/
wilked

Post by wilked »

FYI I am moving to PagePlus tomorrow from Verizon. Bill should be apps cut in half, same network. Moving an iPhone 4 over onto Page Plus
runner9

Post by runner9 »

DRT wrote:
It looks like the changes are only to the lower usage data plans.

250MB $15/mo NEW!
500MB $30/mo NEW!
500MB changes to 1GB $40/mo
1GB changes to 2GB $50/mo
2GB changes to 3GB $60/mo

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/land ... verything/
Your link takes me to the regular http://www.verizonwireless.com page
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I checked out the new plans. I'm not impressed.

When my two year renewal comes up this fall, if they don't have anything better I'm going pay as you go with someone else.
thomase

Post by thomase »

Page Plus is still a lot cheaper. I got a used iphone 4s from ebay and activated it the page plus $29.95 plan for one of my kids. Actually the plan is <$28 because there are websites you can get the refill pin even cheaper. Only disadvantage is if you require 4G, as they only allow 3G.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

At 4 GB of data these "new" plans don't save me any money. Typically Verizon, all flash and no real substance.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

My son uses Verizon prepaid with unlimited talk/text/2G data and with tax included it costs $66 a month.

Verizon prepaid does not support (or allow) 4G phones but if you have a 3G phone from a contract plan that was activated for 6 months you can move that phone to a prepaid plan.

It's a matter of location for us - Verizon is the only carrier in this area that has consistent coverage. Sprint is beyond useless and ATT is close to it - as is any 2nd tier reseller using their networks.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

tbradnc wrote:My son uses Verizon prepaid with unlimited talk/text/2G data and with tax included it costs $66 a month.

Verizon prepaid does not support (or allow) 4G phones but if you have a 3G phone from a contract plan that was activated for 6 months you can move that phone to a prepaid plan.

It's a matter of location for us - Verizon is the only carrier in this area that has consistent coverage. Sprint is beyond useless and ATT is close to it - as is any 2nd tier reseller using their networks.
Details here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/shop/

(I've been thinking of talking my wife into T-Mobile's unlimited text/data/100 minutes of talk for $30 but if she doesn't go for it we might just do the $50 or $60 plan. Thanks!
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

runner9 wrote:
tbradnc wrote:My son uses Verizon prepaid with unlimited talk/text/2G data and with tax included it costs $66 a month.

Details here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/shop/

(I've been thinking of talking my wife into T-Mobile's unlimited text/data/100 minutes of talk for $30 but if she doesn't go for it we might just do the $50 or $60 plan. Thanks!
Yes, he has the $60 plan. I see they've added a limited time offer on a Unlimited talk/text with 1 GB data for $50 a month. That's a pretty good price if you're not a heavy data user.

The interesting thing is that it would be about $20 dollars cheaper if my son using Verizon Prepaid were to join our family plan and share the 6GB data. I'd do it but I want him to be responsible for a bill and if there's one thing he'll be certain to pay it's his phone bill. Girls you know....
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

One thing to note is that as far as the data discounts go, you have to "downgrade" your plan in order to get the new price. For instance, our plan went from 2GB to 3GB for no extra charge, but being that we never use more than 2GB, we just downgraded to the new 2GB plan and will now save $10/month, all with no change in features.
ESK

Post by ESK »

jimday1982 wrote:One thing to note is that as far as the data discounts go, you have to "downgrade" your plan in order to get the new price. For instance, our plan went from 2GB to 3GB for no extra charge, but being that we never use more than 2GB, we just downgraded to the new 2GB plan and will now save $10/month, all with no change in features.
I just did that too. I hope there isn't some sort of "catch" that I missed.
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Thanks for the heads up OP. I logged into my account the other day to see how much data I had used for the month and I noticed it said 3GB instead of the 2 that I had signed up for.

I hadn't heard anything about these plan changes so I was confused why I had 3GB of data to use (while paying the same amount).
nepats

Post by nepats »

Thanks for the heads up. I changed my data from 14 GB to 10 GB and received a $15 discount! It used to be 100 and now its 85 :) You do have to go all the way to the confirmation page after clicking Change Plan to see the discount. I didn't see any discount on the Plan Information page.
Quest80

Post by Quest80 »

The new AT&T rates kill Verizon's. For a 5 phone family plan with smartphones, they are nearly $100 per month cheaper. I hope Verizon reacts at some point, but they may not have to. They have customers like me who don't want to change so they may feel they can keep their pricing premium.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I looked at the Verizon site but it didn't offer me anything less. Can anybody advise me if I am missing something? I just have one phone - a Blackberry. I have unlimited voice and text and was able to get a plan with only 300 Meg of data per month. My data use is always about 25 or 30 meg as I only do email with it. I pay $40 for the device and $40 for the plan + taxes/fees. Is there any reason to think I can get it for any less at Verizon? (I am so happy with the reception and service coverage where I live and go that I am reluctant to consider another carrier.) Thank you.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Calm Man wrote:I looked at the Verizon site but it didn't offer me anything less. Can anybody advise me if I am missing something? I just have one phone - a Blackberry. I have unlimited voice and text and was able to get a plan with only 300 Meg of data per month. My data use is always about 25 or 30 meg as I only do email with it. I pay $40 for the device and $40 for the plan + taxes/fees. Is there any reason to think I can get it for any less at Verizon? (I am so happy with the reception and service coverage where I live and go that I am reluctant to consider another carrier.) Thank you.
Just a guess, can you get the prepaid option, referenced and linked above, with the blackberry?
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

jridger2011 wrote:Hi all,

In case you have not heard, VZW announced some competitive pricing for data plans (finally) and the potential savings is about $10 per month.
BTW, I was walking by a Verizon store and I have verizon, they said if you were already on a sharing plan you just automatically had your data upgraded based on the new tiers, e.g. 2GB is now 3 GB tier, for same money.
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

runner9 wrote:
Calm Man wrote:I looked at the Verizon site but it didn't offer me anything less. Can anybody advise me if I am missing something? I just have one phone - a Blackberry. I have unlimited voice and text and was able to get a plan with only 300 Meg of data per month. My data use is always about 25 or 30 meg as I only do email with it. I pay $40 for the device and $40 for the plan + taxes/fees. Is there any reason to think I can get it for any less at Verizon? (I am so happy with the reception and service coverage where I live and go that I am reluctant to consider another carrier.) Thank you.
By calling, I just got my 65 Plus single line phone cost reduced from $60 per month (250 minutes, $.20 texts, 2 GB) to $45 (unlimited talk & text, and 250 MB of data.) You need to talk to them to do this; it can't be done on line.
DRT

Post by DRT »

They offer a 250 MB data plan for $15.