Which Chromebook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunnyday

Which Chromebook?

Post by sunnyday »

I'm planning to get a Chromebook and use it mostly for internet browsing, email, and chromecasting. I've never used a Chromebook and would like to try one at a local store, but I'm impatient so may order today :happy

Can you set up multiple user accounts on a Chromebook and does each user account have to be tied to a Google account?

I'm not looking to spend a lot (somewhere in the $200's) because it won't be my goto device and figure I can just upgrade in a couple years if I use it more than anticipated. Does anyone have experience with the Acer 720?

Anything to look for and do you have any recommendations? Thanks
freebeer

Re: Which Chromebook?

Post by freebeer »

I can't help on your very specific questions about latest low-end models, but we have 2 Chromebooks and last summer I reasonably happily used a Chromebook Pixel (freebie!) as my main computer for a few months and still use it intermittently. Our other Chromebook which is one of the very first models (Samsung Series 5 circa 2011) still seems snappy enough for use and was our high schooler's only computer until like a year ago when he finally needed a "real" computer to run heavier-duty apps.
Last edited by freebeer on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GDBryan

Post by GDBryan »

I have the Acer 720 and am happy with it. I might have spent more than the $200 my wife paid for it to get the Samsung because I guess the quality may be better.
You can set up multiple logins, and each has it's own Google account - you log in with your Google password. You can also turn on the guest account.

I like it's simplicity. There is no software to buy - you can't install any, and there is no maintenance. You may miss defragging your hard drive, backing up your data and running your virus scan. ;-)

You lift the lid and it's on, just like opening the newspaper. I use it to read web news and email, and also watch movies with it using either Netflix of Amazon Prime.

Battery life is great. I used 7% having it on for the last hour.

I consider it a true Boglehead purchase.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

GDBryan wrote: You can set up multiple logins, and each has it's own Google account - you log in with your Google password. You can also turn on the guest account.
Thanks for the info. I was considering the Samsung too, but read that the Acer is better.

So you have to be signed into your Google account to use a Chromebook? That's too bad since I don't want Google tracking everything.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

sunnyday wrote:
GDBryan wrote: You can set up multiple logins, and each has it's own Google account - you log in with your Google password. You can also turn on the guest account.
Thanks for the info. I was considering the Samsung too, but read that the Acer is better.

So you have to be signed into your Google account to use a Chromebook? That's too bad since I don't want Google tracking everything.
Hahahahaha - then you definitely don't want a Chromebook my friend!

Well OK you could wipe it and put Linux on it but then you are just talking cheap PC HW and I'm not sure Chromebook is cheapest and certainly not most convenient for running Linux.
pochax

Post by pochax »

ACer 720 (non-touchscreen): $199 (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
most inexpensive. good CPU and battery life. cons would be lackluster screen and overall design (but not bad).

Samsung (2012 version): $200-249 depending on vendor (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
lightweight - plasticky version of macbook air design. CPU getting old in the tooth (Exynos ARM-based). screen lackluster.

HP Chromebook (2013 version): $279 (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
probably best design and display (IPS screen). microUSB charging (although went thru a recent recall for catching fire but this seems to be resolved now) allows you to use your cell phone charger on the road.
still uses Exynos ARM-based CPU (like samsung) so performance is not as good as Intel CPUs but still serviceable for webbrowsing.

Toshiba chromebook: $279 (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
similar look as samsung but this one has Intel CPU so better performance/battery life. screen not as good as HP

Acer 720 with TOUCHSCREEN: $299 (2GB RAM, 32GB SSD)
same as regular 720 above except has touchscreen and expanded SSD to 32GB.

my take: i own the samsung and it is pretty good but i admit it gets sluggish with heavy browsing (multiple tabs/windows open with lots of streaming going on). if i had to buy one today, the toshiba or Acer would be my choice based on that. but i have a feeling better versions are coming out this year so if i could wait, i would.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

freebeer wrote:
sunnyday wrote:

Well OK you could wipe it and put Linux on it but then you are just talking cheap PC HW and I'm not sure Chromebook is cheapest and certainly not most convenient for running Linux.
I don't think it's a deal breaker, I do like the added security of a Chromebook and favor the Chrome browser over others. However, I'm sure Google already has a big enough history of me since I use their services quite a bit. Maybe I'll just create a new Google account for the Chromebook and create a new one every year. I'm guessing I won't be able to check my regular gmail account on the Chromebook if I set up a new account, so that would be one tradeoff.

Also, if you have an iOS device or Android device, can't Apple and Google track every place you go since you need to link your accounts to use the devices?
Last edited by sunnyday on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
pochax

Post by pochax »

sunnyday wrote:
freebeer wrote:
sunnyday wrote:

I don't think it's a deal breaker, I do like the added security of a Chromebook and favor the Chrome browser over others. However, I'm sure Google already has a big enough history of me since I use their services quite a bit. Maybe I'll just create a new Google account for the Chromebook and create a new one every year. I'm guessing I won't be able to check my regular gmail account on the Chromebook if I set up a new account, so that would be one tradeoff.
You can install a chrome browser extension AVG Do Not Track from the Chrome Webstore to monitor who is tracking your activity and disable their tracking.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

pochax wrote: You can install a chrome browser extension AVG Do Not Track from the Chrome Webstore to monitor who is tracking your activity and disable their tracking.
But that just blocks cookies and ad networks, correct? I don't think it would prevent Google from tracking everything you do if you're signed into Chrome
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

pochax wrote:Samsung (2012 version): $200-249 depending on vendor (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
lightweight - plasticky version of macbook air design. CPU getting old in the tooth (Exynos ARM-based). screen lackluster.
my take: i own the samsung and it is pretty good but i admit it gets sluggish with heavy browsing (multiple tabs/windows open with lots of streaming going on).
I wouldn't buy an old used one because of this. I've seen several reports on models using the newer Haswell chips, and even cheap Haswell Chromebooks are reported to be very fast, even with many tabs.

For those willing to wait til March, consider a chromebox.

Touchscreen Acer 720p sounds interesting.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

I've had a 720 since it first hit the market, you can sign into as many Google accounts as you want just open a new tab and click your avatar (picture in the top right hand corner) then click the add new account button and sign in with a different account.

The security issue is a a moot topic since your ISP tracks 100% of what you do there is absolutely nothing you can hide on there pipe without encryption and all of them share data with law enforcement and/or the NSA to some degree -- with or without a subpena depending on the ISP. Without full encryption at both ends (think MPLS lines) anything you send is going to hit a Google server sooner or later.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Toons

Post by Toons »

I personally own a Samsung Chromebook and am 100% pleased with the performance.
If I had to buy another chromebook today I would try the Acer in link below.
It is the number 2 seller at Amazon ,right behind Samsung :happy

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-1 ... s_565108_2
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

lazyday wrote:
pochax wrote:Samsung (2012 version): $200-249 depending on vendor (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
my take: i own the samsung and it is pretty good but i admit it gets sluggish with heavy browsing (multiple tabs/windows open with lots of streaming going on).
I wouldn't buy an old used one because of this. I've seen several reports on models using the newer Haswell chips, and even cheap Haswell Chromebooks are reported to be very fast, even with many tabs.

For those willing to wait til March, consider a chromebox.

Touchscreen Acer 720p sounds interesting.
Not sure why I'd buy a chromebox for $179 when I can get a chromebook for $199. I'd prefer a notebook anyway.

As far as the Touchscreen, I don't think I'd use that feature much. After owning a HP Touchsmart desktop and never using the touch capabilities, I can see why Steve Jobs felt a certain way about combining keyboards and touchscreens.

brad.clarkston wrote:I've had a 720 since it first hit the market, you can sign into as many Google accounts as you want just open a new tab and click your avatar (picture in the top right hand corner) then click the add new account button and sign in with a different account.

The security issue is a a moot topic since your ISP tracks 100% of what you do there is absolutely nothing you can hide on there pipe without encryption and all of them share data with law enforcement and/or the NSA to some degree -- with or without a subpena depending on the ISP. Without full encryption at both ends (think MPLS lines) anything you send is going to hit a Google server sooner or later.
True about ISPs, but I doubt they track things as closely and can't analyze big data like Google. Plus Google has a ton more information than ISPs about anyone who uses their products. I'll still get a Chomebook (it's not a big concern of mine) but I'm not a huge fan of a company collecting tons of information about me.
Toons wrote:I personally own a Samsung Chromebook and am 100% pleased with the performance.
If I had to buy another chromebook today I would try the Acer in link below.
It is the number 2 seller at Amazon ,right behind Samsung :happy

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-1 ... s_565108_2

That's what I just ordered. I remembered to use the Amazon referral link on this site to kickback a small amount of :moneybag
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

sunnyday wrote:Not sure why I'd buy a chromebox for $179 when I can get a chromebook for $199.
It does seem a little expensive, but maybe has better quality components than a $200 chromebook, for better reliability. (I get the impression chromebox is being targeted to enterprise as well as consumer.) I also didn't compare to detailed specs of the cheapest chromebook, so it may be faster, etc. Fanless so should be silent, and is tiny.

Could be appropriate for someone who likes to use their own monitor.

Chromebook seems a great choice if want browsing laptop.
pochax

Post by pochax »

sunnyday wrote: But that just blocks cookies and ad networks, correct? I don't think it would prevent Google from tracking everything you do if you're signed into Chrome
Yep, you're right - you can't escape google. :happy just by using a chrome browser you're pretty much stuck getting tracked by Google. hope you are happy with your purchase - enjoy it!
richard

Post by richard »

pochax wrote:
sunnyday wrote: But that just blocks cookies and ad networks, correct? I don't think it would prevent Google from tracking everything you do if you're signed into Chrome
Yep, you're right - you can't escape google. :happy just by using a chrome browser you're pretty much stuck getting tracked by Google. hope you are happy with your purchase - enjoy it!
If you don't want anyone to track you, don't use the internet (or credit cards or a phone or ...). Your IP address and the information your browser exposes in order to function are enough to track you.

Consider that every email provider blocks spam. They do it by "reading" your email.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

richard wrote:
pochax wrote:
If you don't want anyone to track you, don't use the internet (or credit cards or a phone or ...). Your IP address and the information your browser exposes in order to function are enough to track you.

Consider that every email provider blocks spam. They do it by "reading" your email.
My main thing is that I don't want one single company storing all of the information about me, especially if I can prevent. I won't go to big extremes and still use a lot of Google products.

Say I use Chrome but I'm not signed in, have a dynamic IP address, took other preventative measures (cleared cookies, etc), and don't go to Google websites. How does Google track me in that case?
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Why focus on google? I believe facebook for example gathers data from several companies, even for people who have never used facebook.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

lazyday wrote:Why focus on google? I believe facebook for example gathers data from several companies, even for people who have never used facebook.
For me personally, Google has a ton more information about me than Facebook.
Toons

Post by Toons »

sunnyday wrote:
lazyday wrote:Why focus on google? I believe facebook for example gathers data from several companies, even for people who have never used facebook.
And? :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Toons wrote:
sunnyday wrote:
And? :happy
Did you read my previous post? :happy ...
sunnyday wrote:
My main thing is that I don't want one single company storing all of the information about me, especially if I can prevent. I won't go to big extremes and still use a lot of Google products.

Say I use Chrome but I'm not signed in, have a dynamic IP address, took other preventative measures (cleared cookies, etc), and don't go to Google websites. How does Google track me in that case?
motodoc42

Post by motodoc42 »

You might want to look at the HP Chromebook 14. I've had one for 2 months now and like it a lot. 14" screen is nice. It's fast and easy to use. I bought it from Amazon. Check it out there.

Here are a few stats:
(Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz (2 MB Cache)
2 GB DDR3L SDRAM
16 GB Solid-State Drive
14.0-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
Chrome OS
Compared to the others, I mostly wanted the larger screen. '

Motodoc42
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I want the HP Chromebook, but with the processor from the Acer 720

:(
pochax

Post by pochax »

Dutch wrote:I want the HP Chromebook, but with the processor from the Acer 720

:(
my ideal chromebook (with currently available specs) would be:
Intel haswell CPU (celeron or i3 so long as battery life is not compromised)
4GB RAM
32GB SSD (would live with 16 GB though)
1080p 13-14" screen
HDMI, USB 3.0, and microSD slot
microUSB charging

all these things are available in one chromebook/chromebox or another except for the 1080p display (save the Pixel which is not really for general consumers due to price) but i can dream, can't i?
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Under what circumstances does 4gb help vs 2gb, for a chromebook?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... c4TSO5-7sJ
GDBryan

Post by GDBryan »

I have 2gb and don't have a problem.

Also, today I learned that you can edit Microsoft Word docs on a Chromebook using the Skydrive app.
ASUGrad

Post by ASUGrad »

I got the very first samsung model in 2011 which was one of the first two to models to come out after the prototypes. Haven't had a single problem with it, and I love it. Using it right now, and half the time my GF uses it instead of her macbook pro because it is easier to just pick up and use(faster boot, lighter). It also gets abused a lot more. Low price and no fear of losing data we are sadly more careless with it than a tablet. Picking it up one handed, leaving it on the edge of surfaces... dropping it... there is currently a coffee stain on its white shell... Regardless it works as well, no BETTER, than the day I bought it(thanks to more apps and updates).

Yes multiple users can be on it. Your 'user' is just your gmail account. So actually you can log into ANY chromebook using your gmail account and everything should carry over. You won't be able to access anything else someone has saved on the hard drive of the other chromebook or anything you have saved only to the hard drive(so not cloud) of your own chromebook, but otherwise it will work just like the one you have.
To do this on a chromebook would require being in guest at all times. Your login is your gmail account. Can't remember how I found it, but there is an option where you can see a lot of the data google has on you... and delete it if you wish. I don't think its everything though, but a pretty good junk. Of course if you try it immediately warns you that it will negatively affect searches and spam filter. I rather like my spam filter, there are 3 new emails in my inbox and 430 emails in spam. No need for a second bogus email address when the spam filter is that good.
rayout

Post by rayout »

A Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet with full Windows 8 is available at the same price point and is a bit more full featured. Something to think about - I am seriously considering picking up. The only thing I am waiting for is for Intel to upgrade the Atom processor powering these tablets enough to emulate current generation android after which I would have the best of both worlds! Probably will be another year since this next generation of Atom processors will be focused on form factor and power savings to allow Intel to break into the tablet/phone market.
pochax

Post by pochax »

lazyday wrote:Under what circumstances does 4gb help vs 2gb, for a chromebook?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... c4TSO5-7sJ
i don't think it helps in most situations - but i wonder if multiple tabs and streaming HD content would push the 2GB. and also, i have to wonder - why did Google put 4GB in the Pixel if it doesn't help?
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

pochax wrote:ACer 720 (non-touchscreen): $199 (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
most inexpensive. good CPU and battery life. cons would be lackluster screen and overall design (but not bad).

Samsung (2012 version): $200-249 depending on vendor (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)

HP Chromebook (2013 version): $279 (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
probably best design and display (IPS screen). microUSB charging (although went thru a recent recall for catching fire but this seems to be resolved now) allows you to use your cell phone charger on the road.
still uses Exynos ARM-based CPU (like samsung) so performance is not as good as Intel CPUs but still serviceable for webbrowsing.

Toshiba chromebook: $279 (2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)
similar look as samsung but this one has Intel CPU so better performance/battery life. screen not as good as HP

Acer 720 with TOUCHSCREEN: $299 (2GB RAM, 32GB SSD)
same as regular 720 above except has touchscreen and expanded SSD to 32GB.

my take: i own the samsung and it is pretty good but i admit it gets sluggish with heavy browsing (multiple tabs/windows open with lots of streaming going on). if i had to buy one today, the toshiba or Acer would be my choice based on that. but i have a feeling better versions are coming out this year so if i could wait, i would.
2013 HP Chromebook 11 and 2012 Samsung ARM are silent. No fan, no magnetic hard drive.
That HP does not have wired ethernet or USB 3, and uses SlimPort for video output.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

pochax wrote:i have to wonder - why did Google put 4GB in the Pixel if it doesn't help?
The Pixel has an i5 CPU and I believe supports 4k video with displayport.

I've seen comments that multiple tabs and hd video is no problem with 2gb Haswell Celeron Chromebooks.
swaption

Post by swaption »

motodoc42 wrote:You might want to look at the HP Chromebook 14. I've had one for 2 months now and like it a lot. 14" screen is nice. It's fast and easy to use. I bought it from Amazon. Check it out there.

Here are a few stats:
(Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz (2 MB Cache)
2 GB DDR3L SDRAM
16 GB Solid-State Drive
14.0-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics
Chrome OS
Compared to the others, I mostly wanted the larger screen. '

Motodoc42
When I purchased for my daughter, for $50 more this was available with 4 GB RAM and and 500 MB per month of data. Seemed like an easy call, and the computer has been great so far. The data plan is just a bit of a safety net if for example she needed to work on homework during a long car ride, or elsewhere without wi-fi access.
pochax

Post by pochax »

lazyday wrote:
pochax wrote:i have to wonder - why did Google put 4GB in the Pixel if it doesn't help?
The Pixel has an i5 CPU and I believe supports 4k video with displayport.

I've seen comments that multiple tabs and hd video is no problem with 2gb Haswell Celeron Chromebooks.
Then my "ideal" chromebook needs to support 4K video :wink:
lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

Just bought HP Chromebook 14 online at Walmart for $349 (includes T-Mobile when you can't get on wifi).....not a bad little machine for the price. Multiple users can use it and it's user friendly once you get the hang of it.

Lucky3
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Just got the Acer 720. The build quality is a bit better than expected, although I wasn't expecting much considering its a $200 computer. The screen could be better, but I'm used to my MBP retina, so that's not a fair comparison. Battery life seems to be about 6 hours although I haven't tested it. Seems snappy enough. Overall I'm satisfied for $200 and think I'll get some use out of it.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

pochax wrote:Then my "ideal" chromebook needs to support 4K video :wink:
:)

Notebooks with 4k screens (attached) are coming. Here's a Windows one that will likely either sound like a lawnmower or fry your lap:
The Tecra W50 is aimed at professional users and has full voltage 4th generation Intel Core processors available.... Both the updated 4k notebooks will ship in the middle of 2014.
And don't forget the GPU!
http://www.slashgear.com/toshiba-tecra- ... -07311928/
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Expected release of April 2014: Samsung Chromebook 2 with 13" 1080p screen, fast 8 core CPU, and certified for Google Hangouts.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2103484/ ... creen.html

Seems to come with extra software.

EDIT: for those who care, looks like it won't have an IPS screen. Though I'm not sure that's as important these days. Maybe at this price point it will be a very good TN.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/laptops/ ... romebook-2

HP Chromebook 11 has IPS, but not 1080. It's fanless and lightweight. Not as fast as newer models.
lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

HP Chromebook has a 14" screen and most Chromebook's have 11"...........

.....an important factor if you're over 65!

Lucky3
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

I'm thinking of using a Chromebook as a desktop, connected to a monitor and keyboard.

Chromebook users,

(1) Which model do you have?

(2) Under what conditions does it slow down your work or play, compared to faster hardware? If you have Crouton installed, please say so, as it may cause some people problems with the Chrome OS boot.

(3) If yours has a fan, what would you compare its volume to? Could you hear it in a completely silent room from 20 feet away? What is the sound quality: buzzing. whooshing, harsh, pleasant, etc? Does it cycle often, so it may be hard to get used to the noise? If you websurf without using video, does it stay off, or somewhat quiet?

(4) If you use wired internet, have you had problems connecting? Most models have USB but no wired ethernet port, has USB-ethernet caused problems, or slowed access to a gigabit NAS?

(5) Does your model have HDMI or other video ports? If you tried SlimPort for video, did it work well?

(6) How reflective is the screen?
peppers

Post by peppers »

(1) ACER C720
(2) No Crouton
(3) Quiet
(4) Wireless router in house so.......
(5) HDMI yes but have not used it yet.
(6) Not as good as my IPad but adequate for my purposes.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
pochax

Post by pochax »

(1) Which model do you have?
Samsung series 3 (2012 Exynos model)

(2) Under what conditions does it slow down your work or play, compared to faster hardware? If you have Crouton installed, please say so, as it may cause some people problems with the Chrome OS boot.
Gets a little slow shortly after startup (esp if it is updating itself), HD youtube playback, multiple tabs open (>5-6) (No crouton)

(3) If yours has a fan, what would you compare its volume to? Could you hear it in a completely silent room from 20 feet away? What is the sound quality: buzzing. whooshing, harsh, pleasant, etc? Does it cycle often, so it may be hard to get used to the noise? If you websurf without using video, does it stay off, or somewhat quiet?
Fanless

(4) If you use wired internet, have you had problems connecting? Most models have USB but no wired ethernet port, has USB-ethernet caused problems, or slowed access to a gigabit NAS?
Wireless

(5) Does your model have HDMI or other video ports? If you tried SlimPort for video, did it work well?
HDMI out. no SlimPort.

(6) How reflective is the screen?
Not at all - matte screen.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Thanks for replies.

One decision is touchscreen or not.
, the decision has more to do with future applications than current real-world use. Think of it as a ‘chicken before the egg’ deal.
“The main reason why we’re going down the touchscreen road is to encourage developers to start making applications that are touch-sensitive,” Goffredo explained to Lifehacker.
“At this stage, it’s more about the browsing experience and manipulating photos; zooming in and zooming out. But we do see the market maturing as more and more [touch] Chromebooks go out.”
Goffredo said that Acer wasn’t just testing the waters with the C720P and will be fully committed to touch-based Chromebooks moving forward:
“We’ve got a detailed roadmap in place. This year we’ll be releasing another touch-based product. The current plan is to release a non-touch and a touch model of each product. So its definitely a big inclusion in our roadmap moving forward.”
We had a brief play with the Acer C720P’s touch screen and found it to be reasonably responsive, although it’s obvious that the OS wasn’t designed with touch functionality in mind.
Moving applications around the screen was second-nature, but the interface struggled when it came to manipulating small icons. It took several attempts to close a browser window, for instance.
Prices and specs are for Australia: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/03/wh ... ch-screen/
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

I'm starting to lean towards a Chromebox again. Lately I've kept the top post updated here but no promises--plenty of links though: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=130118

The new Asus Chromebox is available now.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

lucky3 wrote:HP Chromebook has a 14" screen and most Chromebook's have 11"...........

.....an important factor if you're over 65!

Lucky3
Did you end up buying one ? You had me thinking . . . until I saw this review:
But its 14-inch, 1366 x 768 display is bad enough to convince you of a need for glasses — it’s pixelated and glossy and just plain hard to look at. It kills the whole appeal of an otherwise solid Chromebook. http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/58174 ... chromebook
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

Love my HP14 (except for the color!) and think the screen is fine for general use. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon from real people. I'm always wary of the "professional" reviewers. But, if you're looking for the latest and greatest, the new Toshiba with the 13.3 inch screen (CB35-B3340) appears to be the one to beat for now.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Postmon wrote:Love my HP14 (except for the color!) and think the screen is fine for general use. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon from real people. I'm always wary of the "professional" reviewers. But, if you're looking for the latest and greatest, the new Toshiba with the 13.3 inch screen (CB35-B3340) appears to be the one to beat for now.
Your right about the reviews. Glad to hear that the HP14 is working for you. I need to go take a look at one. At my age the larger display is appealing.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I picked up an Acer 720. I purchased a refurbished model for $150 on Amazon. They may still have them periodically.

PS I would only by a refurbished chromebook if it was refurbished by the manufacturer.

PS I like the chromebook a lot.
just frank

Post by just frank »

I got (2) of the Toshibas last month, refurbs, for my middle-schoolers to use for their HW. They had been using M and D's MacBooks, an older MacBook we had, etc. PITA. These: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834216790

Very satisfied. Don't run all my kids favorite games (just some), but that's a good thing. Very easy for them to learn, all their stuff is cloud-backed up, they can find apps they need and install them themselves in <30 seconds, and for free. They are empowered and happy. Wifi printing from ChromeOS is a little wonky....not sure if it is the Samsung printer or google. Perfect for kids HW computer.

And Dad does not have to spend hours installing MS Software, playing with Disk partitions, backing up, etc.

And if they kill it doing something stupid....$219 is a nice ceiling to have on the price.
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

I've been using HP14 for a year and it has replaced my PC. Try it, you'll like it!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I've had the Acer for some time now and I use it a lot when I'm on the road. It's loaded with connection options (Ethernet RJ 45, 3 usb ports and vga). It's lite enough to toss in your backpack without breaking your back.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi