Receiving email when someone posts on my thread?

Discussions about the forum and contents
gtt561

Receiving email when someone posts on my thread?

Post by gtt561 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 am

Does this site offer the ability to email me when someone comments on a thread I started? I never know when someone posts an answer to my dilemmas. Thanks
"Anything less than a 10-year horizon is just speculation." John Bogle

rec7

Re: Receiving email when someone posts on my thread?

Post by rec7 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:30 am

I just bookmark the page and look at it later.

lhl12

Post by lhl12 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 am

gtt561 wrote:Does this site offer the ability to email me when someone comments on a thread I started? I never know when someone posts an answer to my dilemmas. Thanks
+1 - would love this capability

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

I just look at bogleheads.org and search for sscritic in my browser. I will find all the threads I started as well as all the threads in which I am the most recent poster. Threads that I have previously read are one color and threads with new posts that I haven't read are a different color (correction: if I was the last to post, the link is colored "not read.")

This isn't as immediate as an email, but if you check bogleheads every five minutes as I do, you won't be far behind.
Last edited by sscritic on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 am

gtt561 wrote:Does this site offer the ability to email me when someone comments on a thread I started? I never know when someone posts an answer to my dilemmas. Thanks
IMO this forum software package is easier than many others for doing that.

When you are viewing a thread, there’s a checkbox in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to subscribe or unsubscribe to the topic.

You can set the default to subscribe or not in your profile.
Click on: User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit posting defaults > Notify me upon replies by default (yes/no)

You can remove threads from your notification list by going to the user control panel > manage subscriptions menu

You can also click on "view your posts" for a quick look to see if the last poster was someone other than you, and/or whether the date of the last post is since the last time you logged in.

jimb

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:40 pm

The easiest thing is to visit bogleheads.org and click View Your Posts in the upper left hand corner.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:49 pm

OP,

jimb gave a nice response.

This is what I do:
go to http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php
click "View your posts"
threads with a new post will have a little symbol that looks like an orange rectangle with a blue arrow in the bottom right corner. Click that thing and you will magically appear at the first post in the thread that has been added since the last time you visited the thread.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm

jimb_fromATL wrote:

When you are viewing a thread, there’s a checkbox in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to subscribe or unsubscribe to the topic.

Click on: User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit posting defaults > Notify me upon replies by default (yes/no)

You can remove threads from your notification list by going to the user control panel > manage subscriptions menu

You can also click on "view your posts" for a quick look to see if the last poster was someone other than you, and/or whether the date of the last post is since the last time you logged in.

jimb
^^^ This.

jimb_fromATL- Thanks for answering the question.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 pm

I click subscribe when I want e-mails, as described above, and then just delete the e-mail if/when I tire of the thread.

gtt561

Post by gtt561 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:07 pm

jimb_fromATL wrote:

jimb

Thank you just changed it
"Anything less than a 10-year horizon is just speculation." John Bogle