Costco AMEX Rewards Check Error

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
12thman

Costco AMEX Rewards Check Error

Post by 12thman »

I just received a letter and check from Costco American Express stating: "We are sending you the attached check in the amount of $146.82 for rewards earned in connection with your account referenced. We were unable to include these rewards at the time that they were earned."

I called the number listed and listened to some recording stating essentially the same thing but would not go into details about the rewards earned. $148 is quite a large error in rewards calculations....

Wondering if anyone else received a similar check or if you know anything more about it.
sscritic

Re: Costco AMEX Rewards Check Error

Post by sscritic »

What did your own records indicate you were entitled to?

I don't have a Costco card, but I do get offers similar to "5% cash back on purchases between now and 12/31 (up to $25)." I have a spreadsheet and I keep track. I know what I charged on that card. I know how to figure 5%. Now this card pays as it goes, so I get some cash back each billing cycle. I know how to add, but I let my spreadsheet do it for me.
Geist

Post by Geist »

Take it & run. :beer
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

I got one too but for only about 15 bucks.... No idea why. Maybe some retailers were misscharachterized
Texas hold em71

Post by Texas hold em71 »

Got one for 19.00. That is pretty much rounding error for us since we put everything on this card.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

sscritic wrote:What did your own records indicate you were entitled to?

I don't have a Costco card, but I do get offers similar to "5% cash back on purchases between now and 12/31 (up to $25)." I have a spreadsheet and I keep track. I know what I charged on that card. I know how to figure 5%. Now this card pays as it goes, so I get some cash back each billing cycle. I know how to add, but I let my spreadsheet do it for me.
The amex costco card has different reward rates for different types of purchases, i think 3% on gas, 2% travel, 1% on everything else.

I have the card, but don't use it much. I prefer the fidelity amex visa which is a flat 2%.
And i drive an EV, so no gas for me.

I got a $15 reward check. No details about what the error was specifically.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

12thman wrote:I just received a letter and check from Costco American Express stating: "We are sending you the attached check in the amount of $146.82 for rewards earned in connection with your account referenced. We were unable to include these rewards at the time that they were earned."

I called the number listed and listened to some recording stating essentially the same thing but would not go into details about the rewards earned. $148 is quite a large error in rewards calculations....

Wondering if anyone else received a similar check or if you know anything more about it.
Do you spend a lot on travel or gas? $15,000 in travel or 7,000 in gas might account for it. Or some combination. That's a lot of gas, but a couple of big trips or several frequent business travel trips could easily account for it.
Topic Author
12thman

Post by 12thman »

madbrain wrote:
sscritic wrote:What did your own records indicate you were entitled to?

The amex costco card has different reward rates for different types of purchases, i think 3% on gas, 2% travel, 1% on everything else.

I have the card, but don't use it much. I prefer the fidelity amex visa which is a flat 2%.
And i drive an EV, so no gas for me.

I got a $15 reward check. No details about what the error was specifically.
I have been using the Fidelity card for the past 2 years for pretty much everything except gas(3% costco), before the Fidelity Amex I used primarily the Costco Amex. I received my rewards check last February from Costco which seemed correct for the amount that I usually spend on gas. I have noticed on some small mom & pop gas stations that the Costco Amex does not categorize it as a gas purchase and this may have caused Costco Amex to go back and fix those errors....but $148 worth of errors seems unlikely.
Topic Author
12thman

Post by 12thman »

Geist wrote:Image

Take it & run. :beer
lol! I am way ahead of you....its a nice windfall prior to Chirstmas :sharebeer
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

I received a check for $10 but didn't give it much thought. The other checks I received from Costco in Feb and Oct seemed about right.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Yes, we got one for $6.66. It's stuck on the fridge (where we put junk checks so we remember to deposit them).
Some people we had over for Thanksgiving dinner saw it and didn't think we should cash it. :shock:
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

MnD wrote:Yes, we got one for $6.66. It's stuck on the fridge (where we put junk checks so we remember to deposit them).
Some people we had over for Thanksgiving dinner saw it and didn't think we should cash it. :shock:
666 is such a nice number, if I remember my bible correctly. Maybe you can find a picture to put on your fridge next to it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_n ... ibrary.jpg

P.S. I love the word fridge. Are you as old as dirt as I am?
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

Can someone post the phone number they received on their letter? I got one last week too but didn't realize there was a check attached to it. I promptly threw mine away so I'm wondering how much mine was and whether I can get a check (if it's worth it).
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I have received two credits to my AMEX Blue Cash reward card (the original card) in the past six months. It appears that for some reason they failed to do something. In any event I am not going to turn down the two credits to my account. I am about ready to claim a $500 reward to my account. :moneybag
Tom D.
MnD

Post by MnD »

sscritic wrote:
MnD wrote:Yes, we got one for $6.66. It's stuck on the fridge (where we put junk checks so we remember to deposit them).
666 is such a nice number, if I remember my bible correctly. Maybe you can find a picture to put on your fridge next to it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_n ... ibrary.jpg

P.S. I love the word fridge. Are you as old as dirt as I am?
So in addition to the $6.66 amount, it's got this heat sensitive dot in the lower right corner. Where do things get really hot? Hmmmm.....
And it's signed messily that looks something like "Paul Veel".
Suppose his middle initial is D.
Paul D.Veel? :twisted:
I'm not sure "cashing in" this check is worth the six bucks and change. :mrgreen:
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jaj2276 wrote:Can someone post the phone number they received on their letter? I got one last week too but didn't realize there was a check attached to it. I promptly threw mine away so I'm wondering how much mine was and whether I can get a check (if it's worth it).
I did as well. I figured the refund would just be applied to the current year. Anybody?
crumbgrabber

Post by crumbgrabber »

stoptothink wrote:
jaj2276 wrote:Can someone post the phone number they received on their letter? I got one last week too but didn't realize there was a check attached to it. I promptly threw mine away so I'm wondering how much mine was and whether I can get a check (if it's worth it).
I did as well. I figured the refund would just be applied to the current year. Anybody?
I've gotten two of these, neither of which had checks attached. They said my reward balance would be credited.
Topic Author
12thman

Post by 12thman »

stoptothink wrote:
sure the number is 1-855-720-6799
datamonkee

Post by datamonkee »

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but has it been confirmed that these checks are legitimate?
Thanks.
TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE »

Yes. I deposited mine 18 days ago. No issues.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

TX_TURTLE wrote:Yes. I deposited mine 18 days ago. No issues.
That's the way I find out if a check is legitimate, I deposit it and wait for a call from my bank if things go wrong. What other methods do people use to discover whether a check is legitimate? One thing I don't do is wire money to Nigeria.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Just checked my original Blue Cash card statements for this year and have received two credits to my account totaling $220. Thanks AMEX. I have a cash rebate of $525 waiting for me to cash in which does not include the $220.
Tom D.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I've also received two such credits on my original Blue Cash account. It's always accompanied by a letter in the mail, but it's just a letter (no check attached). I figure it has to do with reclassifying vendors into higher rewards categories. While an account credit is nice, it does prevent the trick of waiting for a gift card sale to really eek out all possible rewards dollars.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Mudpuppy,
I think you might be right on the reclassification of a vendor. We shop mostly at Publix supermarket, but they are not classified like the other grocery stores we sometimes shop at. The online classification for Publix says "refer to receipt" while all the other grocery stores clearly indicate a classification of "grocery store". The earlier credit this year was for around $185 and that is large enough to tie in with a 5% rebate for what we have purchased there over the time period. Thanks for the idea. :moneybag

Edit - I just checked records on one other Publix supermarket that I go to once in a while. It is classified as "grocery store" as it should be. Improper classification has to be the reason.
Tom D.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Mudpuppy,
I checked online this morning and the classification for this one Publix supermarket in question has been changed to "groceries" over the weekend. I called AMEX customer services and explained the situation to the representative. She confirmed the two credits to my account this year have been a result of the reclassification of this particular store.

That said, I asked for a review of all purchases made at that particular store for the previous five years. The very friendly and responsive AMEX Customer Service representative (Tanya) took about five minutes to submit a request for a review and reconciliation of my account for purchases in the past five years using the store number of this particular location. She stated upon completion of the review I will receive a letter from AMEX outlining the results of their review and reconciliation. I am hopeful for a significant credit to my account.
Tom D.
datamonkee

Post by datamonkee »

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I get paranoid about random things that come in the mail unexpectedly.