Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sscritic

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by sscritic »

mickeyd wrote:A bit OT, but I usually grab a 6 pack of Guinness Stout to drink every St. Patty's day.
Well, if you want to go a bit OT, how about using a girl's name for Saint Patrick?
Each and every year millions of Irish, Irish-ish and amateur alcoholics are needlessly distracted from their Holy Tradition of drinking themselves into a stupor in the name of Saint Patrick, a Roman Briton slave holding the dubious honour of bringing Christianity to an island that would use it as another convenient excuse to blatter the hell out of each other for centuries.

The source of this terrible distraction?

An onslaught of half-hearted, dyed-green references to St. Patrick's Day as St. Patty's Day.

It gnaws at them. It riles them up. It makes them want to fight… you know, more than usual.

IT'S PADDY, NOT PATTY. EVER.
Paddy is derived from the Irish, Pádraig, hence those mysterious, emerald double-Ds.

Patty is the diminutive of Patricia, or a burger, and just not something you call a fella.
http://paddynotpatty.com/
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

IT'S PADDY, NOT PATTY. EVER.
Oops. Thanks for pointing that out sscritic.

I stand corrected here in front of God (and St. Patrick) and all Bogleheads as the grandson of two folks from County Claire who now asks for forgiveness. :oops:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
eaglesfan

Post by eaglesfan »

Only read the first and last pages, but didn't see Victory Golden Monkey mentioned.

Golden Monkey is 9.5% ABV, I can usually get for $1.50/beer in a 6 pack with a coupon, and my favorite beer if I'm in for a long session with the guys is of course Yuengling I can get for $0.67/beer in a case (bottles). So when considering ABV, those two beers aren't that different in price. 1 Golden Monkey = 2 Yuenglings, roughly (ABV)

Golden Monkey is becoming my go to beer because I only need to drink 2 to be in the happy zone, and its pretty tasty too!!

A favorite this past winter was Sam Adams Winter Lager.

But my vote I guess would be Yuengling, its just so great in so many ways.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I don't drink a lot of beer so cost is not much of an issue. I prefer to drink micro brews and change it up frequently. If on travel drink something locally brewed I can't get at home.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

mickeyd wrote:A bit OT, but I usually grab a 6 pack of Guinness Stout to drink every St. Patty's day. The bottles in the past has been a standard 12 oz version. The 6 pack that I acquired a few weeks ago contained bottles with only 11.2oz! I felt ripped off. :beer
It gets worse. A couple of years ago, when driving through New York state, I bought a 6-pack of Guinness at a supermarket. The label sported a prominent "Imported" so naturally I assumed that it came from Ireland. You can imagine how ripped off I felt when I got back home, read the label more carefully and discovered that the stuff was actually made at the Moosehead brewery in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada :oops:
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

eaglesfan wrote:A favorite this past winter was Sam Adams Winter Lager.
my vote I guess would be Yuengling
Two good choices, and Bogleheadish to have some diversity in our Beer portfolio's 'Ale-o-cation', as well
:sharebeer
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

Just picked up six packs of some beers that I had never tried before: Founders Red's Rye, Victory Storm King Stout, and Unibroue Trois Pistoles. So far I've tried the Founders Red's Rye beer and it is now definitely one of my top 5 beers.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/16074
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1013
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/30
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

dsmil wrote:Just picked up six packs of some beers that I had never tried before: Founders Red's Rye, Victory Storm King Stout, and Unibroue Trois Pistoles. So far I've tried the Founders Red's Rye beer and it is now definitely one of my top 5 beers.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/16074
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1013
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/30
Never had Red's Rye, but the others are very good. Have you tried Unibroue's Tripel (La Fin du Monde) before? YUM!

On another note, I'm out in SF this week on vacation and went to Santa Rosa to check out Russian River and Lagunitas. Russian River didn't have a brewery tour, but they had some great food and Pliny the Elder (fresh as of 3/20) and Blind Pig on tap! Lagunitas had a nice little tour and some delicious brews on tap for a free tasting. Lagunitas is probably my favorite breweries since all their brews tend to be high (their "Kronik" beer is quite good, too) on hops.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dsmil wrote:Just picked up six packs of some beers that I had never tried before: Founders Red's Rye, Victory Storm King Stout, and Unibroue Trois Pistoles. So far I've tried the Founders Red's Rye beer and it is now definitely one of my top 5 beers.
Staying on topic, Victory Brewing Company is within commuting distance from Vanguard. Storm King is one of my spouse's favorites. Golden Monkey is a fairly decent Belgian style.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Beer is not very BH like. A true BH drinks <$20 per 1.75L vodka. Svedka is a good choice. I don't mix my vodka just lime and ice. If you use a mixer you can spend less.

I have been frequenting the high ABV beers of late. If you calculate the double or triple increase in ABV that ends up being similar price of lower ABV swill.

Here is one of the beers I have been enjoying lately: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/8998

Does not taste like 12%.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Stevens Point (Wis) Brewery's "Point Special Lager," a light flavorful craft-brew that's only 69 cents a bottle! :beer
bru

Post by bru »

Wherever I may be I love to try local beers. My favorite story related to this was when I was on a road trip with a buddy heading to Arkansas. We stopped somewhere in Missouri and I asked "if they had any local beers?". The answer (said with a nice southern drawl) was "yeah, Bud".

On our recent Spring Break trip to a very touristy area in Wisconsin we found ourselves in a family oriented restaurant which gets its beers from the brewery at it's sister restaurant in another part of town. After starting with a Honey Ale the waitress provided samples of the others and I went with the one she had labeled "hop".

Kilbourn Hop Ale
This medium-bodied amber ale has a pleasant hop flavor & aroma. Locally grown hops are harvested from Brownie Zinke's Hop Farm & are used to create this one-of-a-kind ale. (ABV 5.5%)
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

mike143 wrote: Here is one of the beers I have been enjoying lately: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/8998

Does not taste like 12%.
I never had it but would bet I would like it. Of course, I'd need to stop at two.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Amazing how many posters like beer.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

MGD is my choice.
Vinny72

Post by Vinny72 »

I love pale ales. Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas are some of my faves. Right now I am trying Full Sail pale ale for the first time and have to say...it is pretty good! Also, interesting to know...it is American and employee owned. The label says "12 fluid ounces of ridiculously tasty american pale ale concocted by our massive brewforce of 47."
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Boglenaut wrote:
mike143 wrote: Here is one of the beers I have been enjoying lately: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/8998

Does not taste like 12%.
I never had it but would bet I would like it. Of course, I'd need to stop at two.
These are 25.4 oz and at 12% would be equivalent of 6 "regular" beers. I am a big guy and one gets me where I want to be.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

75 Minute IPA
Saphomd

Post by Saphomd »

Being a native San Franciscan, I am loyal to Anchor Steam beer only. :D
To err is human, but when the eraser wears out ahead of the pencil, you are overdoing it.---Josh Jenkins
Majormajor78

Post by Majormajor78 »

Someday I'll have to go through all of the posts and start to make a list. Until then I'll chime in with one of my personal favorites. Berghoff Sundown Dark. Looking online it has terrible reviews but I think the stuff is great.
"Oh, M. le Comte, it is only a loss of money which I have sustained... nothing worth mentioning, I assure you."
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

snyder66 wrote:75 Minute IPA
That's not an easy find! I've heard great things. My only complaint about DFH is their IPA's don't come choc full of hops.
Majormajor78 wrote:Someday I'll have to go through all of the posts and start to make a list. Until then I'll chime in with one of my personal favorites. Berghoff Sundown Dark. Looking online it has terrible reviews but I think the stuff is great.
Beer taste is so subjective I'd try to ignore the reviews. What helped me get started is figuring out the type of beer I enjoy most. For me it was IIPA and IPA, for you it might be Brown Ale since Berghoff's Sundown Dark is an American Brown. You can go here to view other American Brown Ale's. You won't know if it's a style you really like until you try it from a few other breweries. Once you find a style you like, there's plenty of different types to try.

$.02

I've personally tried Dogfish Head's Santo Marron and Indian Brown - they're delicious. Also , Sierra Nevada makes a good Brown called Tumbler, but it's usually a fall beer. Quite a few breweries make seasonal brown ales start in late August.
steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

Since I started homebrewing, I have a taste for only the good beers. I prefer malty, hoppy beers with a high ABV. Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing is a good example of what I like.

My current homebrews consist of a chocolate stout, an ESB, and a barley wine.

Cheers! :sharebeer
"As your wealth grows do not set your heart on it." steelerfan
leod

Post by leod »

lots of good choices here, i always buy sam adams or microbrews or those big bottles with corks once in a while
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

It's Boglehead Beer to me as it's quality over quantity, but I had Lagunitas' Summer Seasonal - Little Sumpin Sumpin' Ale (American Pale Wheat Ale) last night. It's absolutely delicious - could almost call it an IPA.

Get it while it lasts!
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Some of my favorites...

Mirror Pond Pale Ale.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Stone IPA.
Maritime Imperial IPA.
Manny's Pale Ale.
Rogue.
blueridge

Post by blueridge »

Bumping this old thread, but hey, it's about beer. Just about to start building a kegerator for my homebrew(s). Anybody else ever do anything like this? Several good guides on the web on how to do it, what mini-fridge to use, etc. And then, I start building my basement bar (hello mid-life crisis, better late than never).

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread, my favorite beer is always the one in my hand.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

iron city beer
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

My recent favorites when I'm shooting for taste rather than value:
Trippel (New Belgium)
UFO (Harpoon)

For when I'm feeling more Bogleheadish:
Blue Moon (can be quite inexpensive depending on where you shop)
Mandrale

Post by Mandrale »

A couple of local breweries top my list:
- Fulton Sweet Child of Vine
- Fulton Lonely Blonde
- Indeed Daytripper
- Misc. Indeed taps
- Lift Bridge Farm Girl
- Surly Furious
- Surly Bender
- Angry Planet Ale
- Summit IPA/EPA
- Devotion by Lost Abbey Brewery
- Anything by Dangerous Man
magician

Post by magician »

I mostly drink hefeweisen and Berliner weisse; you can get good hefes (Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Schneider Weisse, Franziskaner, etc.) for $2 - $4 for a half-liter bottle. The 1809 Berliner weisse that I like is between $7 and $8 for a half-liter bottle.
Last edited by magician on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
John in Pinehurst

Post by John in Pinehurst »

I don't believe anyone mentioned my favorite reliably obtainable brew, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Right now Sam Adams variety Harvest Brews are especially good. I don't particularly like their Summer brews except Porch Rocker. Also on hot days in the Summer, or beach beer, a Bud Light Lime is refreshing. For local micro brews anything made by Highlander Brewery in Asheville, NC is good. Their porter is especially good, or the oatmeal stout.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Was in The Blind Tiger today in Greenwich Village.Had a Founders Double Trouble IPA and a Left Hand Milk Stout.Thumbs up for both. :beer
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

Steven's point(Wisconsin) Octoberfest is excellent.

Also Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark is another favorite.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I'm drinking Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest now. Not great, but not bad.

What's good? Anything by Weyerbacher (1+ hour north of me, Easton PA).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

I'm a big fan of local microbrewies and am lucky to have two fairly new ones close by.

I had a Parish Brewing Company "Envie" American pale ale this morning before bed. They are located in Lafayette, LA and make wo different very tasty beers. They don't pasteurize their product so its a must to drink it fresh.

Tin Roof Brewing Co. is very close to me and they are also making some pretty good products, but they only can and keg their beer. They say it last longer and stays fresher in the cans. "Perfect Tin" amber ale is my favorite from them.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Pacifico. I don't like furry beers, like IPA's. 6.99-7.99/ sixpack.

If we ever move away from the coast, I'll go through withdrawal.

I like Abita Wheat, which is seasonal. Don't like fruit in my beer, so that can take some debate with whoever's serving.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

bayview wrote: I like Abita Wheat, which is seasonal.
Abita Wheat is a great summer time beer. How far from Louisiana are you buying it? I know Andy Gator, Turbodog, Purple Haze, and Amber make it pretty far these days, but am not so sure how far the seasonals get out of the state.

If you are ever in Abita Springs, LA, I recommend visiting the brewery for all the free beer you can drink. Just make sure you have a driver because its a definite two fist tour. (The tour guide told everyone to fill up a glass for each hand before our tour started). :sharebeer
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

magician wrote:I mostly drink hefeweisen and Berliner weisse; you can get good hefes (Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Schneider Weisse, Franziskaner, etc.) for $2 - $4 for a half-liter bottle. The 1809 Berliner weisse that I like is between $7 and $8 for a half-liter bottle.
Nice choices there. I've found that Franziskaner is known much more frequently than is Weihenstephaner when I'm talking about wheat beers with other folks. Both are good in bottles, but getting them on tap in their country of origin is so much nicer.

I found that my enjoyment of Franzis and Stephen led me to try Hoegaarden, which is a good Wit but not a huge draw for me. However, THAT led me to try both Leffe (braun and blonde) and Chimay. And THOSE got me to try Belgian style ale offered by Unibroue out of Quebec. All good stuff! I now have Leffe Brown in regular rotation.

On the other side of the hops aisle from these beers (which are not very bitter at all), I usually drink:

Dogfish 60 Minute
Victory Hop Devil
Victory Hop Wallop (Victory isn't far from Vanguard's corporate office)
Yards IPA

There are many good IPAs around and I can't possibly list all the ones I like (Torpedo, Stone, etc and so on).

I'm also a HUGE fan of Bud Light Lime!
:|
:mrgreen: ...yeah, not really.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ I'm drinking Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest now. Not great, but not bad.

What's good? Anything by Weyerbacher (1+ hour north of me, Easton PA).
I tried their Pumpkin Imperial Ale this weekend. .......pass, too sweet.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

bru wrote:Wherever I may be I love to try local beers. My favorite story related to this was when I was on a road trip with a buddy heading to Arkansas. We stopped somewhere in Missouri and I asked "if they had any local beers?". The answer (said with a nice southern drawl) was "yeah, Bud".
Technically, in Missouri, Budweiser IS a local beer (brewed in St. Loius)
swimirvine

Post by swimirvine »

I've had "beer of the month club" for several years and been disappointed.

I found "Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Club" ... not silver glove moon walk Michael Jackson ... the famous beer critic Michael Jackson.

It's amazing and worth every penny (one of the few things I splurge on:

http://www.beermonthclub.com/the-rare-beer-club.htm
The way I invest my money is not the right way to invest, it's the right way for ME to invest.
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

ofcmetz wrote:I'm a big fan of local microbrewies and am lucky to have two fairly new ones close by.

I had a Parish Brewing Company "Envie" American pale ale this morning before bed. They are located in Lafayette, LA and make wo different very tasty beers. They don't pasteurize their product so its a must to drink it fresh.

Tin Roof Brewing Co. is very close to me and they are also making some pretty good products, but they only can and keg their beer. They say it last longer and stays fresher in the cans. "Perfect Tin" amber ale is my favorite from them.
I'm in Ascension Parish nearby. Have to go to Lafayette in Sept and will be hitting the new Parish Taproom to fill up on couple Envie growlers to take home.
jwa

Post by jwa »

Budwieser or whatever is free.
fulltilt

Post by fulltilt »

blueridge wrote:Bumping this old thread, but hey, it's about beer. Just about to start building a kegerator for my homebrew(s). Anybody else ever do anything like this? Several good guides on the web on how to do it, what mini-fridge to use, etc. And then, I start building my basement bar (hello mid-life crisis, better late than never).

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread, my favorite beer is always the one in my hand.
If you haven't seen it already, look for instructions on how to adjust the coarse adjustment screw on your thermostat so you don't have to purchase a separate temperature control unit.

My favorite beer is whatever micro-brew is on sale at my local LQ store...
Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens. -- Jigoro Kano
floydtime

Post by floydtime »

Whatever beer is in my hand is my favorite. You know what they say, better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I always enjoy a Negra Modelo.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

When out of town, some local micro brew I would not get at home.

When home, whatever micro brew looks interesting.

I have no brand loyalty.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
jimgour

Post by jimgour »

I tried to narrow down my favorite beers to a few thousand, but I just couldn't do it!
However, one of my favorites is "Polygamy Porter" from Salt Lake City.
Although I wasn't able to peg it as my all time favorite, its slogan is my all time favorite beer slogan:
"Why have just one?"

:sharebeer
Jim
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

The emergence of the Oktoberfest beers heralds the end of summer. Sigh.

Good thing I like Oktoberfest.

As far as the original topic, Yuengling definitely has my vote. It's an excellent lager that is fairly inexpensive. Their Black&Tan is also excellent.

Full disclosure: I grew up a stone's throw from the brewery so there may be some bias there.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
davebo

Post by davebo »

Coors lite or Bud lite....they are good year round!