Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
mcblum

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by mcblum »

Information for post retirement distribution.
Marty
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

Could you provide a little more detail on what you are looking for?

We have several articles on Retirement spending, as well as Safe Withdrawal Rates, but perhaps this is not what you intended. Thanks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Sometimes people forget, or just don't know, that all the low cost things at Vanguard are not index funds. For instance, I thought of the TIPS fund as an index fund for quite a long time - it just never occurred to me that it wasn't an index fund.

I think if it is an index fund (passively follows the index) it will actually have the word "index" in the name. A fund without that word in the name might look much like an index fund, but actually be actively managed. At least, I think that is how it works. :D
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Schwab has added an SP 600 small cap value ETF to their commission-free ETFs. The ticker is SLYV.

There is a small cap value page here : http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Domestic_Small_Cap_Value
which lists the available ETFs to compare. Is the goal of the page to list all SCV ETF funds, in which case can we add SLYV? Even though it tracks the same index as the others, the fee and total assets are different. And there are other such "duplicates" on the list.

I would add it myself if I 1) thought it was appropriate and 2) knew how to change tables and add links in the wiki (but I'm working on learning! :D )
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

LadyGeek wrote:Hi,

Could you provide a little more detail on what you are looking for?

We have several articles on Retirement spending, as well as Safe Withdrawal Rates, but perhaps this is not what you intended. Thanks.
How to w/d your 3-4% from the various parts of your portfolio. I have taxable,tax deferred and tax free. How about the part RMDs play?
I was thinking to take the 4% from the Deferred each year. When the RMD goes over the 4% leval; reinvest the excess in taxable.
Marty
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

neurosphere wrote:I would add it myself if I 1) thought it was appropriate and 2) knew how to change tables and add links in the wiki (but I'm working on learning! :D )
1) One of the tenets of Wikipedia which we follow here is Be bold. Go ahead and add it. If it's really out of place, another editor will come along and change it (or a member will post in the forum).

2) All you need is practice. Like Wikipedia, editors need a place to perfect their skills or to try new concepts. I've put the table in the Sandbox for you. If you get stuck, ask for help in the wiki editor's forum (only visible to wiki editors).

BTW, thanks for becoming a wiki editor. :thumbsup
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mcblum wrote:How to w/d your 3-4% from the various parts of your portfolio. I have taxable,tax deferred and tax free. How about the part RMDs play?
I was thinking to take the 4% from the Deferred each year. When the RMD goes over the 4% leval; reinvest the excess in taxable.
Marty
OK, you want a withdrawal strategy. We also have: Withdrawal Methods, but this doesn't quite answer your question. One popular strategy is to use "buckets" to determine where to take the money from - which is close to what you are asking. I found some references:

- A Strategy for a Lifetime of Income (Kiplinger)
- A Sample Retirement Portfolio Using the Bucket Approach (Morningstar)
- Also, search this forum: bucket strategy - Google Search

I don't think I have the background to create a wiki article, so I'll defer to someone else. If you don't get an answer in a few days, post a new thread with your situation. This might be the better option, as I think the answer is "it depends" - in which case you'll get answers that work for you.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

LadyGeek wrote:
neurosphere wrote: 1) One of the tenets of Wikipedia which we follow here is Be bold. Go ahead and add it. If it's really out of place, another editor will come along and change it (or a member will post in the forum).

2) All you need is practice. Like Wikipedia, editors need a place to perfect their skills or to try new concepts. I've put the table in the Sandbox for you. If you get stuck, ask for help in the wiki editor's forum (only visible to wiki editors).

BTW, thanks for becoming a wiki editor. :thumbsup
Ok, I would never in a million years be able to create a table like that de novo, but did at least figure out how to add a line to the table, and update some other figures. Thanks, LG!
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
grok87

Post by grok87 »

LadyGeek wrote:
grok87 wrote:Not meaning to be pedantic, but I would probably not say that the Vanguard funds track their respective indices. Both the Vanguard Int Treasury fund and the Vanguard Inflation protected securities fund are actively managed- i.e. are not index funds. So while they have benchmark indices that they compare themselves too they are not really strictly speaking trying to track that index. This is pretty apparent if you compare the funds peformance

VIPSX
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... INT#tab=1a

VFITX
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... INT#tab=1a

VIPSX appears to be a closet index fund. Basically tracking its index well. But VFITX's performance on a year by year basis is materially different than its index. In particular it seems to routinely target a shorter duration than its index and has underperformed as rates have dropped.
cheers,
You may certainly be pedantic. Sorry, the lack of index tracking is not apparent to me. I think this comes with experience - which I don't have. IOW, where to draw the line if the difference is more than 1% or so, or perhaps it was OK one year and not the next. I'll take a closer look at your examples, thanks.
well there are basically two symptoms (of lack of index tracking aka active management)

1) if fund returns vary widely from the index. say by more than a percent or two fairly often/consistently
2) if fund metrics deviate from the index. take the vanguard intermediate treasury index. it has a duration of 5.2 years vs. 6.7 years for the index
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=2
that's pretty material and helps explain the funds underperformance vs. the index in periods when rates were falling.

cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.
jendoe

Post by jendoe »

LadyGeek wrote:Hi,

You are correct, they were transposed. I fixed it: Fidelity
Funds can be compared by the fund's composition and its tracking benchmark. In this case,
...<snipped>
Beginner? Don't let that stop you from asking questions - it's how we learn. You'd be surprised how many "experts" miss things like this (the page has 30,000+ views...). Thanks!
Thanks LadyGeek (and Grok87, for the additional information)! :happy

And, amazingly, most of the questions I've had so far have been very thoroughly addressed already! I've been doing lots of googling on this site :wink: It's a really wonderful resource!

Thank you again!
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

I'm looking at Roth IRA as an emergency fund and I believe there are some math errors in the "Case Study"

1) In Year 0 we have $15,000 in the 401(k) but in year 1 the starting balance in that account is $12,000
Year 0
401(k)
Fund Balance Allocated Toward
Stocks $15,000 Retirement

Year 1
401(k)
Fund Balance Allocated Toward Note
Stocks $12,000 Retirement Starting balance
Stocks + $15,000 Retirement Contribution
Stocks TOTAL $27,000 Retirement

ACCOUNT TOTAL $27,000

I believe the simplest fix is to change Year 0 as follows:
401(k)
Fund Balance Allocated Toward
Stocks $15,000$12,000 Retirement

Overall
Category Balance
Retirement $18,000$15,000
Emergency Fund $13,000
TOTAL $31,000$28,000

2) In year 3 the totals are wrong.
Overall
Category Balance
Retirement $73,000$70,500
Emergency Fund $13,000
TOTAL $84,000$83,500

3) in year 5 the totals are wrong
Category Balance
Retirement $127,500
Emergency Fund $12,000$13,000
TOTAL $139,500$140,500
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Epsilon Delta wrote:I'm looking at Roth IRA as an emergency fund and I believe there are some math errors in the "Case Study"
Fixed. The next time I update these numbers, I'll copy the whole page onto a piece of paper and re-work all the numbers, so that I don't leave anything to miss the updates.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Epsilon Delta wrote:I'm looking at Roth IRA as an emergency fund and I believe there are some math errors in the "Case Study"
Thanks, check and verify if the figures are now correct: Roth IRA as an emergency fund - Bogleheads

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Barry Barnitz wrote:
Thanks, check and verify if the figures are now correct: Roth IRA as an emergency fund - Bogleheads

regards,
That was a quick turn around. Looks good now.
patelbhavesh

Fund name error on Lazy Portfolio wiki

Post by patelbhavesh »

I think there is an error on the wiki page http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_Portfolios where in the admiral shares of "Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund " are listed under the symbol VGIAX.But the link to it points to VTIAX which is the correct symbol.
Someone could make a mistake by copy pasting the wrong symbol so it would be helpful if this can be fixed asap.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: Fund name error on Lazy Portfolio wiki

Post by grabiner »

Typo fixed.
Wiki David Grabiner
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged the above posts into this thread, which is located in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum as a sticky.

Also, thanks for the correction. This is no big deal, I'm just organizing. We appreciate suggestions no matter where they're posted. :thumbsup
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Found another one (VGIAX) under Core four portfolios.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Duckie wrote:Found another one (VGIAX) under Core four portfolios.
And fixed again; I did a search for VGIAX on the wiki, and the other two references to it are correct (Growth&Income Admiral shares).
Wiki David Grabiner
zebrafish

Post by zebrafish »

How about a page on Wiki devoted to useful PODCASTS? I've personally learned a ton by listening to these. It really augments my book knowledge.

Out of all the garbage, I think there are a few diamonds in the rough:

Personal finance/investing:

1. Jill On Money (she is very Bogleheads friendly-- pro indexer, pro vanguard; almost the radio show equivalent of this board)
2. Dave Ramsey (with lots of disclaimers about investing advice given; however, budgeting/personal finance investing & focus on debt reduction excellent IMHO)
3. NPR Marketplace Money
4. Vanguard "Plain talk on investing" & "Vanguard Perspectives"
5. Clark Howard Show (much more personal consumer)
6. Paul Merriman (pro indexer; slice and dicer)

Others...

General education regarding financial markets, etc.
1. Planet money
2. Marketplace Whiteboard

One could elaborate a little about the general information provided. This could serve as the iPod equivalent to books section.

Any thoughts?

-Zebrafish
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sounds like a good idea. We have a spot for podcasts in the wiki: Financial Websites and Blogs (under "Podcasts"), but maybe it's time for an update. A dedicated page would be helpful, especially as an alternative source to a "books section."

FWIW, the left-side menu has News and blogs, but those are not podcasts.

BTW, I have an Android. :wink:
zebrafish

Post by zebrafish »

LadyGeek wrote:Sounds like a good idea. We have a spot for podcasts in the wiki: Financial Websites and Blogs (under "Podcasts"), but maybe it's time for an update. A dedicated page would be helpful, especially as an alternative source to a "books section."

FWIW, the left-side menu has News and blogs, but those are not podcasts.

BTW, I have an Android. :wink:
I think I can put something together. I didn't know about that area of the Wiki.

One show on that current page, in particular, "The Index Show" by Ron Delegge, is pretty anti-Boglehead if you listen to it IMO. He is a uber-slicer/dicer who is really advocating a market timing approach. After a couple shows, I couldn't take it anymore. I might leave that show off the list :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is why a separate page would be good - the readers won't be able to find it otherwise. It can be linked to News and blogs and wherever else is appropriate.

I removed "The Index Show": Financial Websites and Blogs

BTW, you are more than welcome to edit the wiki yourself. PM me (or Barry Barnitz) if you want to become an editor. If not, post your suggestions here, start a new thread, or PM me.
Tortuga

Broken Wiki Link

Post by Tortuga »

Admin:

In the Wiki:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Required ... uitization

Under Links: Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) Calculator appears to be broken and leads to a New York Life missing page message.

Chuck
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

Thank you very much. I fixed the broken link and added a few more calculators: Required Minimum Distribution vs Annuitization

Originally posted in the Forum Issues and Administration forum, I also moved your thread into here (Suggestions for the Wiki). We gratefully accept suggestions no matter where they are posted. This is not a big deal, I just like to organize (what a site admin does). :)
Tortuga

Post by Tortuga »

Lady Geek:

Thanks for the organization and reply.

Chuck
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

zebrafish wrote:How about a page on Wiki devoted to useful PODCASTS? I've personally learned a ton by listening to these. It really augments my book knowledge.

Out of all the garbage, I think there are a few diamonds in the rough:

Personal finance/investing:

1. Jill On Money (she is very Bogleheads friendly-- pro indexer, pro vanguard; almost the radio show equivalent of this board)
2. Dave Ramsey (with lots of disclaimers about investing advice given; however, budgeting/personal finance investing & focus on debt reduction excellent IMHO)
3. NPR Marketplace Money
4. Vanguard "Plain talk on investing" & "Vanguard Perspectives"
5. Clark Howard Show (much more personal consumer)
6. Paul Merriman (pro indexer; slice and dicer)

Others...

General education regarding financial markets, etc.
1. Planet money
2. Marketplace Whiteboard

One could elaborate a little about the general information provided. This could serve as the iPod equivalent to books section.

Any thoughts?

-Zebrafish

Not a PODCAST, but years ago I found Morningstar's Investing Classrooms very helpful in learning some of the basics of mutual funds, stocks, bonds and investing in general, including investing jargon that would otherwise have been mystifying.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Yes, it's a good site and is already in the wiki: Financial Websites and Blogs, look under Investing Education. However, I did add a note that you must be registered to take the quizzes or to get credit for the course.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Back on podcasts, I incorporated zebrafish's suggestions for Dave Ramsey and Jill on Money. Rather than create a new page, I just linked to the existing section in the Financial Websites and Blogs article.

See: Podcasts

The best place to find these podcasts is in the News and blogs article, which is in the left-side menu of every wiki page (5th down from the top). I added a link to the podcasts at the top of the article.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved a suggestion by Mrxyz into a stand-alone thread: [How to save favorite posts? Suggestions for portfolio help].
Minot

Donor Advised Fund not eligible for QCD

Post by Minot »

I've just spent a fair amount of time and thought creating a Charitable Gift Fund with Fidelity, intending to fund it with my IRA Qualified Charitable Donation (QCD), only to learn that Donor Advised Funds are NOT eligible recipients of QCDs, as spelled out in this IRS Tax Tip letter. Would it be helpful to add that information to the Donor Advised Fund Wiki? I know that the QCD is only approved through this year, but maybe some other readers are just getting around to making this decision--and also we hope Congress will decide to extend the QCD.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Is there a Wiki entry discussing records retention?
Gordon
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

gkaplan wrote:Is there a Wiki entry discussing records retention?
In the lingo of wiki, being bold, it does now :wink: see User:Peculiar Investor/Record retention - Bogleheads. Tagged as a 'Possible article', any and all wiki editors welcome to contribute to developing it into a wiki-worthy article.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

My first few experiences with "financial advisers" were actually interactions with insurance salesmen, selling expensive "cash value life insurance" policies. Researching them before signing anything (eventually deciding against signing anything) led me to find this page about a year ago. There are several good threads regarding the benefits (or lack thereof) of looking at life insurance as an investment, but a summary discussion of the different types and their similarities/differences/advantages/disadvantages on the wiki page might be helpful. I see a fair number of posts from new members asking about it, some before buying, unfortunately some after.
I nominate someone much smarter than I to write.
whaleknives

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki: Bogle & Bonds

Post by whaleknives »

The reference to John Bogle's "Age in Bonds" recommendation in the introduction of Category:Bonds is so streamlined as to be almost deceptive:
  • "Bogle recommends "your age in bonds"; for instance, if you are 45, 45% of your portfolio should be in high-quality bonds."
Compare that to the detail and nuances of Asset allocation:Rules of thumb:
  • "John Bogle recommends "roughly your age in bonds"; for instance, if you are 45, 45% of your portfolio should be in high-quality bonds. Bogle also suggests that, during the retirement distribution phase, you include as a bond-like component of your wealth and asset allocation the value of any future pension and Social Security payment you expect to receive. [footnotes 2]"
Footnote 2 includes "crude starting point", " adjusted to reflect an investor's objectives, risk tolerance, and overall financial position", "variants, (age - 10) or (age - 20)", and a link to Forum discussion.

It would be easy (and more uniform) to replace the one sentence in Category:Bonds with the two sentences and footnote from Asset allocation:Rules of thumb.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I updated the wiki: Category:Bonds

The difficulty with a category is that it should be kept as a summary. Instead of the lengthy footnote, I referenced that paragraph to Rules of thumb.

If you want to change the wording, just post here.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Very minor, in the upper right of this page is" kKit" (extra K)

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Safe_withdrawal_rates
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Fixed. Thanks.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
VirginiaBill

Post by VirginiaBill »

[Originally posted in Join the Wiki!, moved here. --admin LadyGeek]

I simply wanted to report an error in one of your entries and couldn't figure out how to do it. Please pass this on to someone who can correct it. Thank you.
The entry is in the link below:
http://www.bogleheads.org/w/index.php?t ... ldid=45518#

The following, under Partial Withdrawal is incorrect:
"The partial withdrawal may be from the Roth or Traditional TSP balance, or a combination of both. Unlike RMDs, which must come proportionally from the Traditional and Roth balances, a partial withdrawal may come from either or both in any percentage desired by the participant performing the withdrawal.[1] "

Actually, all withdrawals, partial or full, even non-RMDs, must come proportionally from the Traditional and Roth balances. It cannot be either/or. The ref [1] is to TSP form 77. The form is confusing and could lead one to believe that a partial withdrawal may come from either or both balances but that is not true. The form is telling users that they may TRANSFER whatever percent of each of the balance types of the total WITHDRAWAL, as they choose. The amount that is not TRANSFERRED is a direct withdrawal. But the total WITHDRAWAL will be proportionally from both Roth and Traditional balances.

This is made clear on pg 4 (PDF pg 6) of the following document "Withdrawing Your TSP Account After Leaving Federal Service", from:
https://www.tsp.gov/planparticipation/w ... ount.shtml
"Your Withdrawal Options
After leaving Federal service, you may make a partial
withdrawal and/or a full withdrawal from your account.
If you have both a traditional (non-Roth) and a
Roth balance in your TSP account, any withdrawals you
make will be paid proportionally from each balance."

A TRANSFER is a type of WITHDRAWAL.
House Blend

Avoid special characters in titles

Post by House Blend »

Wiki editors,

I believe that URLs that contain parentheses (and perhaps a few other special characters) easily confuse the phpBB software. I was reminded of this in the following recent post:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1967998

So as a suggestion, perhaps we should avoid article titles that have these offending characters? Rewrite 401(k) as 401k or 401-k, etc. Or perhaps we can leave the titles as-is, but have the underlying URL stripped?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

It is more a phpBB software issue than a wiki issue. When a URL contains special characters that confuse the forum software, the poster should use the forum's URL BBCode.

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_401(k)_plan

Code: Select all

[url]http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_401(k)_plan[/url]
or
Setting up a 401(k) plan - Bogleheads

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_401(k)_plan]Setting up a 401(k) plan - Bogleheads[/url]
The second example is done via the Create Link extension for Chrome. The equivalent one is Make Link for Firefox. I've posted about these extensions on the forum previously.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

I find it very curious that there isn't an Index fund page on the wiki.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:I find it very curious that there isn't an .Index fund page on the wiki.
Here is the page: Indexing - Bogleheads.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Pretend I'm a newcomer. They way I read it, indexing is a method and an index fund is something that follows the indexing method. ETFs can also follow the indexing method. That's how the wiki's page on Indexing is introduction is written.
Indexing is an investment management strategy that attempts to replicate the investment performance of a market index. An index is a statistical measure of a market's value and performance and serves as a benchmark against which an investment manager's performance is judged. Today, a large number of index providers, including S&P, Dow Jones, MSCI, Russell, FTSE, and Morningstar, provide a wide range of indexes covering US and international stocks, bonds, and commodities.
Does Wikipedia have it correct in Index fund - Wikipedia?
An index fund (also index tracker) is a collective investment scheme (usually a mutual fund or exchange-traded fund) that aims to replicate the movements of an index of a specific financial market, or a set of rules of ownership that are held constant, regardless of market conditions.
If I follow Barry's logic, then Index fund should just be a redirect to Indexing. Would that make sense to a newcomer?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Following the wiki mantra, I've been bold and created Index fund and linked it into a couple of other relevant articles.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

It might be nice if the http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Historic ... re_returns page included not just estimated numbers, but examples of how to estimate expected returns.

Some authors have shown some detail in how they come up with estimates. For example William Bernstein, Damodaran, Bogle, Larry Swedroe. GMO publishes estimates, and sometimes writes about their methods.

A few links:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... _id=489602
http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/201 ... t-for.html
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/ (see "Implied Equity Risk Premium" section)
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Dividend_discount_model (no examples of how to use)
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/s338.pdf (also no examples)

Not an area I feel qualified to write even a first draft on.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Probate

On this page the References #2 and #6 are nonworking links.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

runner9 wrote:http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Probate

On this page the References #2 and #6 are nonworking links.
Thanks. The linked website is no longer in use and redirects everything to nolo.com. I revised a few things and reformatted the introduction to make it easier to read.

See: Probate

Those interested in this topic should explore the navigation menu at the bottom of the page for relevant articles ("Estate planning").
runner9

Post by runner9 »

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Estate_a ... ance_taxes

I'm confused about the map with red states on it. Ohio, NC, and Indiana are repealed but still red.

Text says: "The states imposing estate and inheritance taxes are illustrated in the map to the right and are included in the table below."

I may just be missing something.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

lazyday wrote:It might be nice if the http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Historic ... re_returns page included not just estimated numbers, but examples of how to estimate expected returns.

Some authors have shown some detail in how they come up with estimates. For example William Bernstein, Damodaran, Bogle, Larry Swedroe. GMO publishes estimates, and sometimes writes about their methods.

A few links:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... _id=489602
http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/201 ... t-for.html
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/ (see "Implied Equity Risk Premium" section)
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Dividend_discount_model (no examples of how to use)
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/s338.pdf (also no examples)

Not an area I feel qualified to write even a first draft on.
Sorry for the late reply, but the answer to your question is not as simple as it seems. There's quite a bit of work done "under the hood" to generate those estimates.

For example, your Vanguard paper Forecasting stock returns: What signals matter, and what do they say now? - s338.pdf was written by 2 PhDs and a CFA. That's a lot of brain horsepower.

Those numbers aren't stuffed into a spreadsheet (although one is probably used to summarize the results). It's a team of experts running complex models using data that's not publicly available. Note the "®" (registered trademark) for the Vanguard Capital Markets Model - it's proprietary. They don't want to publicize how they got their results.

GMO, Larry Swedroe, etc. might publish an approach, but the intent is to educate the reader as a top-level overview. Remember that this is a competitive business. You don't want to let the competition know how you got your results.

OTOH, if I misinterpreted your question, let me know.