What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Post by VictoriaF »

I am embarrassed to admit what I am reading now.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
chaz

Post by chaz »

VictoriaF wrote:I am embarrassed to admit what I am reading now.

Victoria
A comic book?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Radioactive Boy Scout, by Ken Silverman. Flawed by inadequate technical depth. In one place he says that electromagnetic isotope separation is done with centrifuges...You're never quite clear on what David Hahn actually succeeded in doing--he was trying to build a breeder reactor, but what he built, out of thorium scavenged from lantern mantles, etc.--was not close to being critical. I don't think the reticence is for security reasons. He explains things how Hahn got the americium out of smoke detectors, though I haven't tried it to see whether he left out any key details.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Smuggler's Reef, by "John Blaine." A Rick Brant Electronic Adventure. A juvenile series I read some of as a kid. For mysterious reasons, the later books in the series are available from Project Gutenberg, but the earlier ones are not, which is too bad as the ones I actually want to reread someday are The Whispering Box Mystery and The Rocket's Shadow.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm a little over half way through Soldaten: On Fighting, Killing and Dying: The Secret World War II Transcripts of German POWs by Sönke Neitzel and Harald Welzer. British intelligence recorded these transcripts in hopes of gaining information that might be useful in the Allied war effort; however, the transcripts proved to be of little value in that regard. What the transcripts did provide, though, was a window into the minds of the soldiers in the Wehrmacht, the Luftwaffe, and the German navy and disproved once and for all the myth that the German armed forces were not complicit in war crimes to the degree that the Waffen SS was. (Daniel Goldhagen made the same point some fifteen years earlier in his late 1990s book Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust, a book that was met with much criticism and hostility.)

Dry reading (Neitzel, a historian, and Welzer, a social psychologist, are not as accomplished writers as Goldhagen) but well worth the effort.
Gordon
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

chaz wrote:

Victoria
A comic book?
I could ask what's embarrassing about a comic book, but...
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:

Victoria
A comic book?
Please ask.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:

Victoria
A comic book?
Please ask.
I'll have to think about it.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:

Victoria
A comic book?
Please ask.
I'll have to think about it.
No time for thinkin' necessary for me!

What's embarrassing about a comic book?

PJW
chaz

Post by chaz »

The fact that a very smart adult is enjoying reading a child's publication.
Phineas J. Whoopee

chaz wrote:The fact that a very smart adult is enjoying reading a child's publication.
The adult is simply appreciating the deeper themes and social commentary.
PJW
chaz

Post by chaz »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
chaz wrote:The fact that a very smart adult is enjoying reading a child's publication.
PJW
An enrichment opportunity! :happy
Howard Donnelly

Post by Howard Donnelly »

Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist, by Roger Lowenstein. It was published in 1995, but it's a terrific book on his life up to then.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Victoria
My embarrassment is not related to comics, but the discussion that ensued was comical.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stratton

Post by stratton »

Bob Couch books

Chosen Soldier: The Making of a Special Forces Warrior Green Berets. Totally different mission when compared to the Navy Seals. Foreign Internal Defense. AKA counter insurgency.

The Sheriff of Ramadi: Navy SEALs and the Winning of al-Anba Navy Seals engaging in a lot of Green Beret type activity. Good description of how Foreign Internal Defense works.

Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger This book covers Ranger training, but falls down in the last 50 pages. The author apparently ran out of time and it's a total mish mash where he follows up on people he followed previously in the book at various training schools/classes. The combination of people who attended multiple schools and lots of schools with endless paragraphs is a mess. Otherwise enjoyable book.

Glenn Cook's Wicked Bronze Ambition: A Garrett, P.I., Novel. One of the better ones in the 14 books series. Fantasy who-dunnit. Very convoluted plot.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel by Robin Sloan. About 50 pages in and trying to decide if I want to continue.

Taylor Stevens The Doll. Third books in the Vanessa Michael Monroe series. Best written of the books. Considering these are the first books this author has written you can see her growth as a writer. Each one is better written than the previous.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

PJW
And if the adult is lucky, he will have retained the imagination and joy of childhood to then fully appreciate a good comic book.
:sharebeer
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Fallible wrote:
The adult is simply appreciating the deeper themes and social commentary. PJW
And if the adult is lucky, he will have retained the imagination and joy of childhood to then fully appreciate a good comic book. :sharebeer
My wife and I having nothing but praise for Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel, Stitches, by David Small, and Maus, by Art Spiegelman. There's nothing comic about any of them, however, and they are hardly for children.
The problem with saying something like that is that people may think you're reading something even more embarrassing than whatever it is you're reading. My daughter was once furious at me because she was in the shower when a young man called, and I said "I'm sorry, she can't come to the phone right now." And my daughter says, "Dad, just say I'm in the shower, don't ever say that."

If you don't come clean, I'll assume you're reading The Money Class: How to Stand in Your Truth and Create the Future You Deserve, by Suze Orman.
mbenz1997

Post by mbenz1997 »

I've been reading "Stop acting rich...and live like a real millionaire" by Dr. Stanley. I just finished his other book "The millionaire mind". I read his original "The millionaire next door" about a decade ago.

Well worth reading, if you haven't read it. Most bogleheads probably follow his philosophy already, but it's nice to remind yourself why you live the way you do.
mbenz1997

Post by mbenz1997 »

chaz wrote:
PJW
An enrichment opportunity! :happy

I agree...ever read Calvin and Hobbes? Bill Watterson is incredibly clever with his approach...I'm happy to say I own every single one of his Calvin and Hobbes collections...my favorites are the ones where he explains his thought process behind his jokes or what he was trying to convey in the comics.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

nisiprius wrote:
Fallible wrote:
The adult is simply appreciating the deeper themes and social commentary. PJW
And if the adult is lucky, he will have retained the imagination and joy of childhood to then fully appreciate a good comic book. :sharebeer
My wife and I having nothing but praise for Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel, Stitches, by David Small, and Maus, by Art Spiegelman. There's nothing comic about any of them, however, and they are hardly for children....
Maybe I’m showing my age (Aauugh!, or Good grief!, as they say in the comics), but I am thinking mainly of the mostly fun comic books of my ‘50s childhood, with purely comic characters whose surprisingly complex personalities could not be fully appreciated until adulthood. The great Chuck Jones, for example, said he was most like the character Daffy Duck, and the subtle differences between Daffy and Bugs could be appreciated only by older folks, and the more perceptive ones at that. When I think of comic books, I think of good humor, characters, writing, and mostly just plain fun. "That's all, folks." (Yup, showing my age...)
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Great, isn't it?

Brian
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Attn: MP173 and mystery fans

I just got back from the library where I found a book"Aloha, Lady Blue" by Charley Memminger described as a new mystery series paying loving homage to John D. MacDonald (just recently discussed).

AND-- I got a new Lawrence Block book "Hit Me" about a man named Nicholas Edwards, lives in New Orleans renovating houses. Then the nation's economy tanks and he turns back into *Keller*-- he's back in business! Welcome back, Keller.

Nonnie
Phineas J. Whoopee

Fallible wrote:... (Aauugh!, or Good grief!, as they say in the comics), ...
You stupid darkness!!!
-- Lucy van Pelt
PJW
chaz

Post by chaz »

Now at my advanced age, I enjoy Dilbert. Scott Adams is terrific!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Fallible wrote:... (Aauugh!, or Good grief!, as they say in the comics), ...
You stupid darkness!!!
-- Lucy van Pelt
PJW
Good one! :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

OK, I fess up. I'm working on the "The Otherworld Trilogy" by Jenna Elizabeth Johnson, a fantasy and paranormal romance author. IOW, it's a heartthrob romance for sci-fi fans.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good fantasy / adventure "coming of age" book for teenagers (especially girls), I highly recommend "Watership Down" by Richard Adams. The main characters are rabbits. See: Watership Down
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
chaz

Post by chaz »

"One Step Behind" by Henning Mankell.
Howard Donnelly

Post by Howard Donnelly »

The Templeton Touch, by William Proctor with a Special Section by Scott Phillips.
Fantastic book, with personal insights from many of today's most successful investors.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

The Black Box by Michael Connelly.

Harry Bosch is one of my favorite literary charactors.

Just picked it up at the library yesterday.

Ed
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Winning the Loser's Game, 3rd Ed. Charles D. Ellis
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
chaz

Post by chaz »

MP173 wrote:The Black Box by Michael Connelly.

Harry Bosch is one of my favorite literary charactors.

Just picked it up at the library yesterday.

Ed
I like the novels of Michael Connelly.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Recently finished Future by Al Gore, Charm School and Upcountry by Nelson Demille and will be starting Gold Coast by Demille. One of the most enlightening books I read was The Big Three in Economics by Mark Skousen. This caused me listen to Professor Richard D. Wolff on Capitalism on the Bill Moyers' show and becoming interested in his books and classes on youtube. Opened my eyes to how little I really knew about economics.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

I'm just a few pages from finishing The Book Thief. My friend gave it to me. It doesn't flow that well but it's a great story in my opinion. Was surprised that my friend couldn't find it in the book store, so asked, and they said "Oh, that's in the young adult section." Yikes. Heavy stuff for a young adult, although they need to learn it some time I guess.

Next I plan to re-read The Hobbit. Need something light after The Book Thief. And this time I want to concentrate more on the details. The older I get the slower I read, even things I've read before. I'd like to memorize the names of all the dwarves.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Mystery of the Blue Train, by Agatha Christie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
grok87

Post by grok87 »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
My embarrassment is not related to comics, but the discussion that ensued was comical.

Victoria
I'm guessing there is a number and a color in the title!
;-)
RIP Mr. Bogle.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

grok87 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
;-)
I have tried the book you are alluding to as an audio but abandoned it after listening for half an hour. Even all the hype could not balance its utter idiocy. My message was about a different book.

Victoria
chaz

Post by chaz »

"The Hunter" by John Lescroart.
SSN688

Post by SSN688 »

Big Red by Waller. 3 months on the Nebraska (SSBN-739). Nth time through Perram's Laser Weapon Systems. And Pat Micheal's Meltdown. An expose on the fraud behind AGW. After 42 years as a physicist with Boeing, finally retired and can read what I want to!
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner and Our Lives, Our Fortunes, and Our Sacred Honor by Richard Beeman.

Now reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Re-read "Ender's Game" in anticipation of the movie coming out in November. Its OK, but I liked it better when I read it 25 years ago. It is dated, but his anticipation of computerized warfare training was excellent.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

I have tried the book you are alluding to as an audio but abandoned it after listening for half an hour. Even all the hype could not balance its utter idiocy. My message was about a different book.

Victoria
Now you can never tell us, Victoria. It would just be anti-climactic. :happy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I didn't want to divert this thread so I stated another, entitled Free books for kindle? , but hope that others who use this thread might reply there.
ruralavalon wrote:I love to read, and I like free things.

Can anyone suggest other resources (with links) for locating free books for kindle?
I have a regular low-cost, no-frills, wi-fi connecting kindle. I recently stumbled across -- Free Books For Kindle: Linked List of Over 1000 . . . , by Morris Rosenthal . Its very easy to use: its Table of Contents is a list of authors; clicking on an author's name takes you to a list of the author's books; and clicking on a book title takes you to an Amazon page where you can read reviews of the book and order a free copy.

Can anyone suggest other good resources for locating free books?
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

linenfort wrote:

Victoria
Now you can never tell us, Victoria. It would just be anti-climactic. :happy
I know. I would never let anything anti-climactic happen to the Bogleheads,

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

VictoriaF wrote:
grok87 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
I have tried the book you are alluding to as an audio but abandoned it after listening for half an hour. Even all the hype could not balance its utter idiocy.
Yes, I agree, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish can only be called "juvenile."

The Lorax is much better.

I do not recommend The Seven Lady Godivas, however--unless you like horses.

P.S. Getting more on topic, I'm still in the middle of America Aflame: How The Civil War Created A Nation, by David Goldfield, which is just excellent, excellent, excellent.. but long.

I have been casually dipping into The Only Three Questions That Still Matter, by Ken Fisher, which is better than I expected.

I am reading some of the "Suicide Club" stories from Robert Louis Stevenson's The New Arabian Nights, but am not sure what I think about them, yet.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

Just finished a couple by James Salter, last one A Sport and a Pastime. Great wordsmith, but kind of raunchy. Now getting into Jonathan Tropper. Humorous and poignant stuff. If you want to know how guys really are, read some of his stuff.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
max12377

Post by max12377 »

One book which I read a couple years ago that has helped me a lot at work is called 'Total Workday Control' by Michael Linenberger. It's similar to GTD but I like it better as it uses MS Outlook to develop your task management system. It really did help me get control of my workday. Now when I see people with inboxes of 1000's of emails (read and unread) I wonder how they get through the day with a clear head!
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I am about twenty-five pages into Died in the Wool by Ngaio Marsh.This is part of a one-volume book that includes Final Curtain and Swing, Brother, Swing and is the thirteenth in Marsh's Roderick Alleyn mystery series.
Gordon
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie. A classic. I hadn't even remebered how it was all done.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

max12377 wrote:One book which I read a couple years ago that has helped me a lot at work is called 'Total Workday Control' by Michael Linenberger. It's similar to GTD but I like it better as it uses MS Outlook to develop your task management system. It really did help me get control of my workday. Now when I see people with inboxes of 1000's of emails (read and unread) I wonder how they get through the day with a clear head!
I am interested in finding a better ways to use MS Outlook, thanks for the recommendation.