Success stories from anyone going 'minimalist?'

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lightheir

Success stories from anyone going 'minimalist?'

Post by lightheir »

I love the idea of going 'minimalist', be it for home, office, lifestyle, etc, but I'll freely admit that despite my best efforts, I'm far from minimalist in terms of obligations and possessions. Seems like the most sure way to reduce financial and other obligations if done correctly.

Anybody care to share any success stories of parts of their lives where they've successfully downsized and/or gone 'minimalist?'

(Also feel free to share any failures!)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Success stories from anyone going 'minimalist?'

Post by LadyGeek »

Try this thread: Any Minimalists on here?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I use simplicity in my life but not minimalism. Simplicity meaning for me…..used cars, small house, no cable, etc. Definitely not minimalism though. Maybe more frugality than anything else.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
5buffalo

Post by 5buffalo »

I don't know if this is exactly minimalism, but one of my goals this spring/summer was to ditch public transit and bike to work, and now I'm saving $100+ per month in transit costs, plus now I have no need for a gym membership which would have been another $30ish per month. I feel like it's been a great success- I'm saving money and I'm in better shape than I ever was when I tried to force myself to go do "normal" exercise in a gym.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

This time next year we should be down to one car,2 suitcases and a 10x17 POD. After that we will be downsizing to the Urn.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

After that we will be downsizing to the Urn.
Why the fancy urn? Cardboard box and someone to spread me in the back yard. Box then goes to recycling center.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

obgraham wrote:
Why the fancy urn? Cardboard box and someone to spread me in the back yard. Box then goes to recycling center.
You sound like my Dad, except he says ashes on the compost heap - to be used on the veggie garden so that some of his minerals end up being eaten by the lucky few.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

They gave up internet, and can no longer read or post here.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Sure.

Three years ago I downsized in nearly every way.

I went from a 2700 sq foot home filled with belongings to a 800 sq foot home and a 5 x 5 storage space.

This was mostly accomplished by selling, donating or giving away a lot of stuff and digitizing the rest. I also received
a long awaited divorce and launched my only child into adulthood. I now rent and never have debt, so basically this means I have no contracts - not with any banks, companies or individuals...I can pull up stakes at any time.

My employer pays my transit expenses and I've seriously reduced my telecom service costs lately. My one and only big expense is rent, due to location, but I am working at ways of reducing that.

Soon, I'll likely start donating my small DVD and remaining book collection - planning to download to a tablet from here on out.

Some question whether a computer is an example of minimalist living. I would challenge that a computer is a small footprint item which enables minimalist living through vast storage and eliminates need for paper, pens, calculators (anyone remember those) and related items...

Things we own, end up owning us. Now in a much better life situation, with love, health and wealth...relatively speaking :)

I am too young to "age in place" - I am hoping for continued adventures.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

I would love to get rid of most of what we own (when I buy a shirt, for example, I make sure to donate at least one shirt to our local rescue mission), problem is I have three kids and a wife who are dedicated non-minimalists. :)
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Well, I don't know how much objective success I can point to, but I'm well on my way to transitioning in that direction. Minimization is not my goal, per se, it's more of a process of simplification and streamlining. It's been immensely beneficial to my day-do-day contentment, my financial situation has flourished, and my date for retiring from full-time professional employment has leaped 10 years closer. At that transition I plan on taking the final steps of downsizing my house and shedding the last of the superfluous possessions. A general lack of clutter (literal and figurative) resonates well with me.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I am not yet a success story. But I am somewhat regularly conducting closet purges, and am restricting myself from buying new things. I just started another purge last week - it's funny (to me) how the first time around you can't bear to part with some things, and yet by the time you do the third purge you wonder why you were hanging on to some of the stuff!

So I am a work in progress.
Sarah
tylerherman

Post by tylerherman »

Been down to one suitcase (clothes + laptop) a couple times, usually before a move, but end up getting a bed/dishes after I settle for a while.

Never really read into minimalism, but I guess that's close to it?
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I have, over the last 10 years or so, elimated excess through a process of using up and wearing out everything I owned. Now I just have the bare essentials - but what I have is better than average quality (always push myself to buy one step up from the max level I think I can afford). I loathe excess consumption and enjoy having just a few things that are both functional and beautiful.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

obgraham wrote:
Because if i go first the wife says i become "kitty litter".