Moving internet modem and DirecTV receivers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
playtothebeat

Moving internet modem and DirecTV receivers

Post by playtothebeat »

I have just finished moving my home office from an upstairs room to downstairs. Previously, I had the main internet modem wired in that upstairs room (along with a wireless router), as well as the main home phone base (both serviced through Cox), plus one of my DirecTV receivers. Now that my computer and office TV are both downstairs, I need to re-wire the connection. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Do I need to have Cox/DirecTV come out and run the cables to the new location? Any idea how much they charge for something like this?
Woodshark

Re: Moving internet modem and DirecTV receivers

Post by Woodshark »

DirectTV runs ads about moving your service for free. Since your not really moving, just changing rooms it might not be free but I bet if you call their customer service and explain the situation, they will do it as a one time no cost service.
yolli71

Re: Moving internet modem and DirecTV receivers

Post by yolli71 »

I had almost this exact same scenario. I use Cox for phone and internet and DirecTV for satellite, and I moved everything from one room in the front of the house to another in the back of the house about 2 or 3 years ago. Yes, I had to pay them to come out and rewire things, but I don't think the cost was too prohibitive (can't recall the exact numbers)...maybe around $50 each? The process went very smoothly. You might be able to negotiate this as well...I've received lots of deals from Cox and DirecTV over the years when I've voiced my displeasure about something or threatened to cancel service.