What do you do with your "x-year-service" gold watch

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Faith20879

What do you do with your "x-year-service" gold watch

Post by Faith20879 »

So, I’ve made it. Just received my “goldtone” watch in the mail. It is a two-word brand name like you often see advertized on a billboard. The attached price tag places it’s value at the top of 3 digits. It came in a very expensive-looking box with small compartments – even the manual has its own box within the box. Just the box itself blows me away.

Now here is the rub.

It is extra thick and weighs a ton. I can’t imagine myself wearing it since I don’t wear a watch. It is too small to function as a door stopper. And, my workplace info is engraved on the back which probably reduced the resale value to zero. I got to thinking - what do people use it for? There must be more than a few here have reached the golden gate and are in possession of such a commodity.

My question is, what do you do with yours? Please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Faith
chaz

Re: What do you do with your "x-year-service" gold watch

Post by chaz »

Sell it on ebay.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

I'd be happy you get a watch. We get coffee mugs :)
prudent

Post by prudent »

I stuck my massive, heavy award watch in a drawer and it sits there to this day.
chaz wrote:Sell it on ebay.

We have so many ebayers here somebody would spot it and spread the word in the company that Joe is selling his award watch on ebay. That would not go over well, even though it's certainly within their rights to do whatever they want with the gift. Maybe see if a jeweler can replace the part that's engraved or remove the engraving. That way it could be sold without the potential embarrassment.
Blues

Post by Blues »

The watch I rec'd from the gov't (Homeland Security) was so pathetic that after my wife and I finished laughing our butts off I stuck it in a drawer never to see the light of day again (unless we needed another good laugh).
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

Faith20879 wrote:
My question is, what do you do with yours?
I couldn’t tell you.
I received a sundial.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Donate it to a local charity that hosts a silent auction at a fundraiser.
Wooderson

Post by Wooderson »

Is is possible to replace the back piece with the company info, and then sell it? My wife took her watch to a jeweler and had the company logo removed, although it was only an emblem that was pinned in. The nice part was that our cost was zero, including repairing the band, because the jeweler bought the gold in the emblem. Now she wears it daily, I don't think that would be the case if the emblem was still present.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Call me old fashioned but I appreciated my gold watch and I still wear it(15 some years later).
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I got a nice globe for 20 years, and a grandfather's clock with the kick out the door. Unfortunately for resale, the pendulum has a certain flying horse engraved on it. Fortunately, the first one I received had a defect in the wood finish and they sent me another one with a plain pendulum for I'm good-to-go for eBay someday, or my spouse will be.

I'd leave the watch in the drawer and let the kids deal with it.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Faith20879 wrote: There must be more than a few here have reached the golden gate and are in possession of such a commodity.
My question is, what do you do with yours? Please enlighten me.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Faith
Never received a begone watch - mainly because I was self-employed...
But I did get a "trophy" watch as captain of my tennis team that I had to have adjusted to fit my wrist. Since I have not worn a watch in more than 20 years I put it in my drawer and this low three figure watch eventually just stopped. Battery? Defect? So What?

Best of luck, with the watch and with your many years of leisure ahead of you, Rich
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

MyMegaCorp has always had selection of gifts available for anniversary celebrations. So far I have selected:

10 year: Folding knife[1]
15 year: Fancy coffee maker[2]
20 year: Binoculars
25 year: Digital camera
30 year: IPOD Nano Sixth Gen 14GB[3].

1. Which I was [messing around --admin LadyGeek] with and sliced my left index finger, resulting in a trip to the ER to get stitches in the middle of the night.
2. I don't drink coffee, but I got it for guests.
3. The most useful so far. I loaded it up with music and got an adapto-matic to play via the Bronco's cassette stereo. I use it pretty much every time I get in unless I let the battery run down.

Brian
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

At 25 years I received a nice LE COULTRE ATMOS PERPETUAL MOTION CLOCK
Original cost: low four digits.
It lasted 5 years and died. Cost to repair: high three digits!
It sits broken in the shipping box I used to send it off for an estimate.
I'm still wondering what to do with it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ML 59

Post by ML 59 »

Faith20879 wrote:So, I’ve made it. Just received my “goldtone” watch in the mail. Faith
It seems kinda sad that it arrived via mail instead of a CEO delivering it to you at the office, a genuine handshake, and heartfelt "Thank you for your years of service."

...mine sits in a jewelry cabinet in the bedroom. (But it was hand delivered. 8-) )
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

I received a hanging Howard Miller wall clock that chimes. Gave to my oldest daughter.
The other daughter will get my Grandfather clock if she can get it to California from Illinois.

At this point in my life stuff needs to be distributed before it's too late and ends up in dumpster.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

bertilak wrote:At 25 years I received a nice LE COULTRE ATMOS PERPETUAL MOTION CLOCK
Apparently the 'PERPETUAL MOTION' wasn't guaranteed and had no bearing on it's lifetime functioning. Such a shame; a nice looking item.
If nothing else it makes a good conversation piece. Keep it on display for its looks.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Parthenon wrote:
bertilak wrote:At 25 years I received a nice LE COULTRE ATMOS PERPETUAL MOTION CLOCK
Apparently the 'PERPETUAL MOTION' wasn't guaranteed and had no bearing on it's lifetime functioning. Such a shame; a nice looking item.
If nothing else it makes a good conversation piece. Keep it on display for its looks.

Ed
I am so disappointed that it was so far from perpetual that it pains me to look at it. So it stays in it "box-o-shame."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

What gold watch? The only watch I ever got was "watch that the door doesn't hit you on your way out."
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

ML 59 wrote:
Faith20879 wrote:So, I’ve made it. Just received my “goldtone” watch in the mail. Faith
It seems kinda sad that it arrived via mail instead of a CEO delivering it to you at the office, a genuine handshake, and heartfelt "Thank you for your years of service."

...mine sits in a jewelry cabinet in the bedroom. (But it was hand delivered. 8-) )
Now that's classy.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

ML 59 wrote:It seems kinda sad that it arrived via mail instead of a CEO delivering it to you at the office, a genuine handshake, and heartfelt "Thank you for your years of service."
If they did that at MyMegaCorp, the CEO probably wouldn't have time to do anything else (what with being a multi-national).

So you might be on to something.

Brian
enderland

Post by enderland »

As an intern several years ago, I had a good discussion with some of the older guys at my work about this one lunch.

Apparently they get a choice between a watch and a set of golf clubs. Turns out golf clubs have a lot, lot higher resale value and all the guys who got watches were annoyed they didn't just get the clubs and sell them.

I wonder what percentage of these watches get worn.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

One of my relatives received a certifiable gold Rolex - cost low 5 figures, didn't believe it was real - had it appraised, it's very "real". :moneybag
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Put it on the mantle. Good job.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

I will never get one

but if I did get one I would wither keep it as a "trophy" or sell it after I retire. I believe it would be a bit awkward to sell a gift when you are still working for the company.
widestance

Post by widestance »

I received a desktop clock once.
All I could hear was my life dragging on one tick at a time.
Pulled the battery out and threw it in a drawer.
Life was good once again. :)
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Flobes wrote:Donate it to a local charity that hosts a silent auction at a fundraiser.
This ^ + a new back installed.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
tj218

Post by tj218 »

Private sector problems.

Public Sector (School):
5 year: A cheap plastic pin with a 5 in it.
10 year: A wooden apple.
15 year: A coffee cup
20 year: A vase
30 year: A $50 gift card to a local restaurant.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Another school teacher here. Every 5 years we get a monogrammed polo shirt with the school logo on front and the years served on the sleeve.

Gold watch? I thought that sort of thing went out of style 40 years ago along with pensions and 3-martini business lunches.
Lai0703

Post by Lai0703 »

My Company gives us a choice, thank goodness. Hated the woman's watch (hey, I'm 58- I need a watch face bigger than a dime)! I picked a Bose Wave radio.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Throw it in your closet and forget about it until you move, then throw it away 8-)

My dad worked for a company for 30 years, on my last trip home we went through all of the stuff he received from them over the years - over $3000 in scrap gold and jewel value :shock: They really liked giving out huge gaudy gold rings with jewels. We didn't sell them yet because gold had just taken a pretty big dip and my folks don't need the money, but they were shocked to see how valuable the junk was.