Do you go to bogleheads.org with your smartphone?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
michaelsieg

Do you go to bogleheads.org with your smartphone?

Post by michaelsieg »

I would love to browse/read posts on this forum when I am away from my computer. I have an older iphone, and the included browser is not ideal to browse the forum. Has anyone found a good "blog-reader" or a good app to do this? Or how do you visit this forum using your smartphone?
Noobvestor

Re: Do you go to bogleheads.org with your smartphone?

Post by Noobvestor »

michaelsieg wrote:I would love to browse/read posts on this forum when I am away from my computer. I have an older iphone, and the included browser is not ideal to browse the forum. Has anyone found a good "blog-reader" or a good app to do this? Or how do you visit this forum using your smartphone?
No browser is ideal for the forum. I bet there are easy(ish) plugins/extensions for these forums tho to make 'em more mobile-friendly.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

I browse the forums on my android web browser. It's not ideal but it does wrap the text to adjust for font size increases I choose. I think I'll start looking for an app now that it's been suggested. I hadn't thought of that.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
Topic Author
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Thanks Kalo and Noobvestor,
I know there are "blog reader apps" out there, but didn't find anything useful myself. I was hoping some members on the forum have tried these apps. Adapting the website to detect smartphone browsers and change the layout, like some newspapers do, is another good idea, but have no idea how difficult this would be.
arlsaver

Post by arlsaver »

I just use the browser on my smartphone as well.

Tapatalk has been debated in the past which would be a
great addition. Most other forums enable this (maybe we should start a poll on this topic).

If it was a cost issue we could probably donate the funds to make it happen. I suspect most of the powers that be are retired and just use desktop computers to access the forum or only use feature phones without data plans plans to save money so they do not realize that Tapatalk integration would enable the young and mobile to access the forums.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I browse it on my iPhone 5. I used Safari, then added the forum menu to my screen. To view the posts in a bit larger text, I turn the phone sideways. The text doesn't wrap when I'm typing a reply, but it does when I'm reading posts.
Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 »

Gnirk wrote:I browse it on my iPhone 5. I used Safari, then added the forum menu to my screen. To view the posts in a bit larger text, I turn the phone sideways. The text doesn't wrap when I'm typing a reply, but it does when I'm reading posts.
+1 I do the same thing on my iPhone 5 and I read and post short notes with it.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

I do and with few complaints. I tend to just look at the thread list from bh.org.

Some of the mobile browser forums I have seen really stink. I usually just turn them off.
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

Gnirk wrote:I browse it on my iPhone 5. I used Safari, then added the forum menu to my screen. To view the posts in a bit larger text, I turn the phone sideways. The text doesn't wrap when I'm typing a reply, but it does when I'm reading posts.
Me, too.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

I use Dolphin browser on my Android phone. Works great for this forum.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I have an iPhone 4 and find it acceptable for reading the blog . If one double taps the text portion of a thread it expands to fit the available screen width.

Some blog software now have mobile apps available for them. Maybe something the admins here might want to consider for the future.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I replied to this post using my Samsung galaxy S while browsing with Dolphin browser. I typed the message with Swype.
fatlever

Post by fatlever »

Android browser mostly.
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

On my phone now. Galaxy S. Works great. I recently got rid of a very old phone which felt like going online with aol dialup 10 yrs ago. The new phones are ssignificantly better.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Five inch screen no problems here.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Using the standard Android browser now. The only issue I have is the text wrapping when writing a post is not ideal. But reading is no problem.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (user interface).

The decision rests with the site owner, Alex Frakt, and has been discussed before. I'll see what I can do.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I have a dumb phone. But I visit this forum on my iPad when not on my computer.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 »

I do it all the time from my windows phone. I have my browser agent string set to desktop IE so it looks like my laptop just smaller. Pinch zoom works well.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

investingdad wrote:I replied to this post using my Samsung galaxy S while browsing with Dolphin browser. I typed the message with Swype.
Use dolphin and Swype. Love them both. I can't remember the last time I actually typed anything on my phone.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

LadyGeek
I had no intention to change the website, IMHO it is great as it is. So my issue was not the user interface, I just have some difficulty on my phone end and I greatly appreciate everyones input to see how they do it. I have to attend too many boring meetings/conferences and it would be great to browse the forum during these times :happy . I am considering upgrade the phone, probably it is time...
DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw »

5" android screen and chrome browser = works great
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

furwut wrote:I have an iPhone 4 and find it acceptable for reading the blog . If one double taps the text portion of a thread it expands to fit the available screen width.

Some blog software now have mobile apps available for them. Maybe something the admins here might want to consider for the future.

Me too.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

iPhone5/Safari. Works great for me.

I rarely read the forum on a traditional computer anymore.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

michaelsieg
Thanks for the complement. You want to browse the forum during meetings? Instead of your web browser, may I suggest our RSS feed? It's on the home page, upper right corner.

Click on the Image logo: link to rss feeds. Then, just use your favorite feed reader and scroll the latest postings.

The feed delivers the last post of a thread, limited to 50 threads or the last 12 hours, whichever comes first. If you see something interesting, you can jump right in.

I'm using Opera on my Android, I don't have Swype available.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I use my smartphone, and this was actually one of the tests I did when choosing a smartphone model. The site didn't render well in Safari on an iPhone, and was much better in Chrome on a Droid, so I bought the Droid.
Wiki David Grabiner
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

I tried reading the RSS feed but it adds too many steps.

On my smart phone I use the Dolpin browser on the Android OS. Works fine.
Topic Author
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Thanks everyone for your input - LadyGeek, thanks for the RSS reader suggestion. I am looking at RSS feed readers available for the iPhone - there are many of them. Does anyone have any experience with them for an iphone? Which ones do you use?
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

There was a previous thread about integrating with the Tapatalk app, but I guess that is not going to happen. I use Tapatalk (iPhone app) with other forums I visit and it's simple and works very well on my mobile device (I use an iPod Touch, my phone is a "dumb" phone).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, Tapatalk was discussed previously (will not utilize at this time). It's just a matter of what Alex Frakt would like to do.

BTW, I've switched from Opera to Dolphin on my Android.

For those who like RSS feeds (on the home page here), the wiki has a live RSS page for the Boglehead authors' blogs. See: News and blogs (This link is on the wiki's left-side menu, 5th down from the top.)

I put all of those feeds into my new favorite RSS reader app, Feedly.

Hint: Use the cbsmoneywatch.com feed sources in the wiki (Larry Swedroe, Allan Roth), as you'll never easily find them on the CBS main site.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Did back when I had an iphone. It was laborious for posting because of browser limitations with the input field; but fine for reading. Now I'm back on a simple phone saving over $1000/year. I may purchase a WiFi ipod in the near future--not a smartphone--and see if the newer operating system works better. These of course are operationally similar to smartphones and tablets for browsing. Certainly the new high resolution screens are more visually comfortable. -- Tet
ogd

Post by ogd »

The biggest headache on mobile is the input field. It doesn't resize like the normal text does making it hard to see the current paragraph coherently. If that could be fixed (flexible sizing?) I'd be a lot happier with mobile. The input field sizing also widens the text below, which makes select for quote even more of a pain than it already is on mobile.

Oh, and it sometimes just misbehaves - cursor jumps while you're typing. There's no rhyme or reason to this one, it just happens and it does not persist. And sometimes the text prediction gets out of sync with the text, somehow, it's one letter ahead and you have to backspace for a bit before they match (hard to explain, sorry). More of an annoyance than a usability problem. I'm willing to chalk it to a browser bug; using the stock Android browser.

I don't think the rss model works well for forum threads - too many post entries from threads you don't care about. You need something with a two level structure, threads then posts. Like Gmail (why not include the reply text btw?). But overall reading on mobile is no worse than on desktop.
jupiter_man

Post by jupiter_man »

Android OS + Dolphin Browser = works great for reading.
My phone has a slide out Physical Keypad and that's great for writting.

I use 50% of the time from the smartphone, 50% from the MAC.