Help create a Financial Presentation: Calling all Bogleheads

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Help create a Financial Presentation: Calling all Bogleheads

Post by neurosphere »

[The idea in this post is a repost from another thread, requesting some help with putting together a set of powerpoint slides with the intent of educating colleagues. I'm hoping this thread could be used to gather a large group of people who are willing to help out.]

It seems we could "crowdsource" some presentations, no? This issue tends to come up often, when a boglehead who has understanding and knowledge wishes to educate others in a "presentation" format, but does not have the time/experience/design skills to create a powerpoint presentation.

I am faculty at a large hospital/university and I have been planning for YEARS to give a lecture, or series of lectures, on financial topics of interest to medical residents (or anyone interested). The organizing and creating the lectures can take a very long time. I often meet with individuals to give advice, but I would have a LARGE and EAGER audience if I merely put up a flyer. I bet I could get 400 people to attend such a seminar during a one week period if I gave the talk 2-4 times. Instead, we get the whole-life salesmen who come in with their fancy (error-filled) graphs to give "free" presentation (and usually free food). Sigh.

For medical lectures, our department has a series of power point presentations which people have made over the years and stored on our server. Each year we review them, update as necessary, and any one can use one and modify to suit their own points of emphasis or their style.

Does anyone think such a thing could be possible here? I.e. create a set of slides on several very focused investing topics? Then someone could pick and choose and create a sub-set of the master group to suit their needs. I have actually considered PAYING someone to help me create such a set of slides, but have not gotten the time to identify someone capable and willing.

Anyone think such a thing is possible? A group collaboration to create such a presentation? I would still be willing to contribute $$$ to encouraging such a project if that's what it took to get the ball rolling. Thoughts?

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
enderland

Re: Help create a Financial Presentation: Calling all Bogleh

Post by enderland »

As I said in this thread, I am definitely interested and would be willing to coordinate this effort.
BoringIsBeautiful

Post by BoringIsBeautiful »

I too would be willing to offer assistance. Feel free to message me as I'd be happy to discuss my background.
2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind »

If people end up working on this, I'd encourage you to make presentations that are actually targeted to the populations that will be served and not just parrot boglehead principles devoid of context. The majority of young professionals are struggling with student loans and credit card debt. They also lack savings (emergency or otherwise). While young doctors, dentists and some attorneys may be looking for every tax advantaged space possible, the majority of young professionals need the encouragement to contribute to their 401k enough to get the match and possibly start a roth. Because retirement savings is relatively low on their list of priorities, you'd be better off spending significant time discussing how to save for a down-payment, how to decide how much house one can afford, how to have money set aside for repairs/emergencies/job loss etc.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I seem to remember woof755 doing this a few years back for his medical colleagues. You might PM him and see if he still has his presentation.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
ThePrune

Post by ThePrune »

neurosphere, I'd be glad to share the handouts from my investing class notebook (100+ pages) with you, either in PDF format or in the orginial MS Word format. In places it will likely be much too detailed for your needs. But you might find interesting material to "cut and paste" into your Power Point slides. If you are interested, PM me with your direct e-mail address.
2stepsbehind wrote:If people end up working on this, I'd encourage you to make presentations that are actually targeted to the populations that will be served and not just parrot boglehead principles devoid of context.
+1 to this advice. Besides, anything you present "needs to be yours", i.e. organized in a way that fits your personality and expresses your perspective on the topic.

Art
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

ThePrune wrote:
2stepsbehind wrote:If people end up working on this, I'd encourage you to make presentations that are actually targeted to the populations that will be served and not just parrot boglehead principles devoid of context.
+1 to this advice. Besides, anything you present "needs to be yours", i.e. organized in a way that fits your personality and expresses your perspective on the topic.

Art
I completely agree. One goal is to have a master set which can then be tailored for the specific audience. Each presenter could choose which slides he/she thought were appropriate and even edit each individual slide. Everyone could share each edit, and soon there would be "off the shelf" presentations for every topic and audience, which, with mild tweaks, could be made "to be yours".

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

My co-workers' ages run the spread but all love Excel charts, so when I created an hour-long presentation, I began with two spreadsheets. First one for the younger folk showing the classic example of the worker who only contributes to 401k in his 20s then stops yet still outpaces the one who started at 30 and never stopped. Second one allowed me to edit 3 cells for Monthly Contribution, Annual Return %, and Inflation and showed the compounded result after each year. It started the audience participation right off the bat in under 5 minutes and they were hooked after seeing all those the 7- and 8-digit numbers.

Mine was specifically about our workplace's 401k, so went into detail about the plan options, loan rate, and so on. You probably don't care about any of that, but I suggest starting with something including the above two -- for whomever your audience is. Nothing like seeing :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag to get people's attention! :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

May I point out that Google Drive is an excellent way to collaborate? Here's the documentation: Drive Help

- Create the presentation in Slides
- Spreadsheets go in Sheets
- Running commentary, notes, etc. can be tracked in Docs

Whoever wants to coordinate this can setup the initial files, then assign View/Edit permissions as needed. Or, anyone with the link can Edit for true collaboration.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
enderland

Post by enderland »

LadyGeek wrote:May I point out that Google Drive is an excellent way to collaborate? Here's the documentation: Drive Help

- Create the presentation in Slides
- Spreadsheets go in Sheets
- Running commentary, notes, etc. can be tracked in Docs

Whoever wants to coordinate this can setup the initial files, then assign View/Edit permissions as needed. Or, anyone with the link can Edit for true collaboration.
Oh yeah. There is no way I'm coordinating this without google presentations :)

I will probably wait a few days here to get a feel for who wants to commit (if someone else wants to coordinate feel free as well) before setting things up.
Stickman

Post by Stickman »

Hi all,

This is an area of interest to me and I'd be happy to contribute.

I originally ran free brownbag seminars at two local universities to provide common sense investing wisdom from an unbiased perspective (as in, I don't sell anything). My original materials were for workshops of 15-25 students and we I did things like playing Financial Jeopardy as students drifted in--just to get warmed-up, interactive and on topic. My brownbag seminars were limited to this scope which I accomplished in three sessions (one per week). I was originally inspired by my daughter who enjoyed a brownbag series at Smith College (wildly popular--called "Backpack to Briefcase") which covers broader spectrum of personal finance topics over eight sessions/weeks.

Audience matters a great deal. For instance, there is very big difference between an workshop with undergrads and a workshop with evening law students that are already in the workforce. Nevertheless, I suspect that there are some common tools that presenters could draw from and shape into something that would work for them. There's actually nothing about this that is limited to young people, that's just where I decided to focus.

FYI, it was a lot of work for me to touch the lives of 15-25 students and so I changed tactics—same mission, different media. I now make free online videos. You might have seen some in the wiki, or you can click on the globe at right, but most of my viewers find these on YouTube. Of course I miss the interaction with the students which was absolutely delightful, but I'm reaching far more people. Hopefully helping; I'll never know.

All you Bogleheads are not my audience—you're more like my mentors. Instead, I'm aiming at the 99% of the population that needs to know this stuff but doesn't, and actually aren't all that interested. It really should be taught in homes and in schools, so in the back of my mind I've been contemplating fun activities (think games) that could be instructive. I'm currently working on a video series called Why Bother With Bonds (free online videos and a short book) which is currently in draft form. I'll also post this in the wiki when I'm done—for newcomers. I'm very slow... ;-)

So contact me if there is any way that I can be helpful. Regards, Rick
TTU

Post by TTU »

Ive been thinking about proposing the same thing for a long time - trying to educate young Marines. I would be happy to help.
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

I would also like to contribute. I have a preliminary PP presentation already if anyone is interested. Very bogleheadish. Maybe more Swedroeon.
dawg999

Post by dawg999 »

I have been in the process of collecting material for a similar presentation and would be glad to share ideas.

Scott
indexer

Post by indexer »

I have developed a practice management lecture series on investing/finances, disability insurance, billing/coding, evaluating a prospective practice etc for anesthesiology residents and fellows. The 'one hour' lectures have been very well received by them. Much of the material for the investing lecture are the basic boglehead philosophies from the wiki and Rick Van Ness's website- www.financinglife.org. I also find emergdoc's blog very helpful.
I will be happy to share ideas and contribute.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Excellent idea. I would also like to collaborate on this via Google Docs. This is the perfect place to set this up, as there is a good deal of expertise here.

I might suggest a section that would have the basics for young people, i.e. why they should start now, future value simple examples, simple budget spreadsheet, etc. Another section for more advanced presentations to include PPT frameworks for those wishing to customize for family, workplace, or other uses. Finally perhaps a section with simple and clear follow-up resources (Bogleheads.org and other places/resources). Perhaps a collection of basic and short case studies illustrating the failure/success of common financial methods. Much of the information of course is already on this site, but distilling to clear XLS and PPT's would add great value.

Just a few thoughts.

_D_
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

It's exciting to read this thread, since we had planned to try to produce and accumulate educational material for inclusion on The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy's web site (if/when we get it up and running). It would be great to gather all the various presentations you folks put together and categorize them on the Bogle Center's web site.

The presentations could also be categorized and included in the wiki when appropriate.

Finally, these presentations could be used at all the various Local Chapter meetings and eventually, for scheduled seminars throughout the country.

Please proceed with all of your great ideas and we'll see about working together at some point in the future.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Mel Lindauer wrote:It's exciting to read this thread, since we had planned to try to produce and accumulate educational material for inclusion on The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy's web site (if/when we get it up and running). It would be great to gather all the various presentations you folks put together and categorize them on the Bogle Center's web site.

The presentations could also be categorized and included in the wiki when appropriate.

Finally, these presentations could be used at all the various Local Chapter meetings and eventually, for scheduled seminars throughout the country.

Please proceed with all of your great ideas and we'll see about working together at some point in the future.
Awesome.I envision an Army of Bogleheads, armed with knowledge and information (and attractive illustrative learning materials!) fanning across the country/world. :)

I have a suggestion for one approach to this. Let's create a list of topics, both narrow and broad, and then volunteers can assign themselves a topic to make one slide/figure to get that point across. Imagine the following topics as an example of how focused each slide could be:

-- Power of compound interest over time
-- Marginal vs. Nominal tax rates and brackets
-- explanation of an expense ratio, where to find it, and the impact of fees on an investment (either as one topic, or as three separate topics)
-- etc

We could decide on a master list of topics. No topic would be too "small". Then one or more people could submit a slide, or many slides, or many people submitting many slides. Then suppose i'm putting together a presentation, I could decide what topics I want to cover, then browse among the options for slides which address that topic. If i don't like what I see, I can make my own, or modify an existing slide, and then add it to the "pile'. We could have an unofficial moderator for each little topic, which could help group them, or make suggestions, or delete duplicates, whatever.

In addition to an area for examples relating to each mini-topic, there would of course be "complete" presentations. I.e. I could make a presentation for a one-hour talk for young medical residents, and then that entire presentation would be available somehow, where it could be easily found by someone making a similar presentation. Also, as these talks are actually GIVEN folks could give some insight as to how it went, i.e. I only covered half of this talk in an hour, or my audience was confused with the way XYZ was presented. Whatever. The possibilities are endless. Essentially, this is really just an expansion of the wiki, but where information in the wiki is adapted for a seminar/lecture audience. We could request, but probably not demand at first?, that boglehead.com of the Bogle center for Financial Literacy be credited for helping to host/organize the presentations. This would obviously be a natural way to let people know where to come for additional information and discussion, as of course everyone will have additional questions after each presentation.

Anyway, i wonder if each currently existing wiki page could serve as the basis for creating a master list of topics?

This is exciting!

NS
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let me give you some insight about the wiki. The hardest part of the wiki was organizing the information in a clear, top-down approach that gradually introduced investing concepts to new investors. How do you organize it without scaring them away?

Before I joined the Bogleheads forum, I was an Ameriprise client. The paperwork to setup the accounts was overwhelming, to say the least. However, buried in the papers was a single brochure marked "Ameriprise New Client Start-up kit" It was a simple, easy-to-read roadmap of how to fill out the paperwork. Problem solved. (I have since left Ameriprise... :) )

When it came time to organize the wiki, why not create a set of "Start-up kits" to help new investors work their way through the wiki? Long story short: Getting Started

The first thing new investors see is "Don't Panic!" This is scary stuff, so take your time. Why don't you start with this...

Now, think about this page in terms of financial literacy topics. Create a "Don't Panic!" top-level friendly welcome. Then, introduce your "Start-up" kits - which are your top-level categories. Note how the wiki then flows down into each subject area.

As for getting started with financial literacy, keep it simple. Whoever is organizing this (enderland or neurosphere?) just create a Google Doc page with the topic list as suggested so far. Copy-n-paste whatever you have, with one suggestion - create an outline of the top-level categories, then place the specifics under each category.

For example:

Investing
- compound interest

Insurance
- Life insurance

Don't worry about getting the outline "right" as you will never agree on that. Instead, just put the same material under multiple headings (life insurance can appear under both "Insurance" and "Estate Planning"). Try to agree on the top-level headings, though.

Another suggestion: I suspect a lot of members are collaborating via PM. Instead, why not create a Google Docs page (anyone with link can edit) and have a free-form collaboration? It's the same principle behind the Discussion tabs (top left tab) of every wiki page. For example: Talk:Individual Bonds vs a Bond Fund (This is an example of wiki editor collaboration, I don't want to continue the discussion here. :) ) The idea is that you can interject comments anywhere (such as within the same topic), which can't be done in a forum post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

LadyGeek wrote: As for getting started with financial literacy, keep it simple. Whoever is organizing this (enderland or neurosphere?) just create a Google Doc page with the topic list as suggested so far. Copy-n-paste whatever you have, with one suggestion - create an outline of the top-level categories, then place the specifics under each category.

For example:

Investing
- compound interest

Insurance
- Life insurance

Don't worry about getting the outline "right" as you will never agree on that. Instead, just put the same material under multiple headings (life insurance can appear under both "Insurance" and "Estate Planning"). Try to agree on the top-level headings, though
Great ideas LadyGeek. I like the idea of master topics with subheadings. And subheads can of course be duplicated, because depending on the category it is in, there will be different ways to present the same concept depending on the specific point to be made.

I also imaging something like this, where there are sub-sub categories depending on the audience

Investing:
-- compound interest
------ for young savers
------ for older folks with shorter time frames

Debt:
-- compound interest
-------total charges over time
-------payoffff strategies: smallest payment vs. largest interest rates

For the record, I doubt I would be a good person to be directly involved in the actual implementation of collaborative site. my schedule is such that I can go long periods of time where I'm swamped at worked and rarely come up for air, and such a time is approaching. It sounds like enderland is willing to get things started though. And of course, this job is bigger than one person, so maybe there will be another volunteer or two to help enderland. I think once things get started, this project can be self sustaining. Although i'm sure EVERYONE thinks that way about all SORTS of projects which soon wither and die after an initial flurry of activity. :)

NS
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

I would be willing to help and offer assistance. I work at a university and am currently coordinating efforts to create a financial literacy program for the university as a whole.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Lots of good ideas. I think that we should plan on the wiki being the repository of any material (at least for now). When/if we ever get the Bogle Center web site up and running, then we could link to all the educational material that's already contained on the wiki, providing links by subject matter.

Because I've got a lot on my plate at the present time, including the work in getting ready for the upcoming 2013 Bogleheads Conference, I'd prefer that someone else take the lead on this and proceed in whatever manner the leader feels will work best. That would include coordinating with the volunteers to produce an extensive outline and then coordinating with the folks who will work on the content to flesh out the outline topics.
Ignis

Post by Ignis »

Well I am not sure how much help I would/could be (I am no expert, and therefore mostly lurk), but just wanted to say that I am definitely interested and following along. Since I found my way to Bogleism, I have been trying to educate as many friends and family as possible. This would make things a whole lot easier.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We now have a wiki page waiting for content: Bogleheads® financial literacy project

I included examples of what the wiki is able to do with Google Drive. So far, we've only used it for spreadsheets (Sheets), but it can also handle documents (Docs) and presentations (Slides) - formatting details can easily be worked later. To be clear, nothing is uploaded to the wiki (no attachments), it's all linked from Google Drive.

To those willing to contribute presentations, there are a few considerations:

- Be sure that the content is legally able to be shared with everyone (GNU public license).
- Remove (redact) all information that would identify you with a company or personally; such as logos, proprietary information (and document markings), acronyms, names, etc. Copying and pasting the content into Google Slides directly (instead of uploading the file) will avoid embedding any extra information - headers, footers, or embedded notes that you may have missed.

Suggestion: I think we should broadly categorize according to the intended audience - students, military, medical professionals, young professionals, already retired. Five categories should be sufficient.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I have a couple different PP presentations that I would be willing to share. One is an intro that we have used for the MN Bogleheads meetings. The other is a 45 minute presentation that I did at a conference.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

OK, you're on. :) Please post a link to the presentations, along with a brief description for each. Either myself or another wiki editor will put it in the page: Bogleheads® financial literacy project If you can't upload the files to Google Drive, PM me.

If anyone else has a presentation to share, post here.

(Any wiki editor is welcome to work on the page.)
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:
For all interested in this venture, allow me to make the following invitation.

To facilitate maximum access to all media for this project we invite everyone to have wiki access.

The forum administration set the guideline that wiki access could not be wide open to anyone, but would have to manually set up. This procedure was instituted to avoid spam. Just let Lady Geek or me know you wish access and we can create a wiki account for you.

With a wiki editorship,all of you will have access to the following:

1. You will be able to edit any wiki page. Thus you will be able to place documents, slides, spreadsheets and text, links etc. into current wiki pages, as well as setting up new pages and organizing material. The wiki allows constant updating,

2. With wiki membership, you will have access to the forum's Wiki Editors Forum, where specific issues involving the wiki can be discussed.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
enderland

Post by enderland »

LadyGeek wrote:OK, you're on. :) Please post a link to the presentations, along with a brief description for each. Either myself or another wiki editor will put it in the page: Bogleheads® financial literacy project If you can't upload the files to Google Drive, PM me.

If anyone else has a presentation to share, post here.

(Any wiki editor is welcome to work on the page.)
I created a document to allow brainstorming of two primary things:

First, what rough target audiences do we see this material being used in? At least medical students and young professionals from neurosphere and my interest. It will be helpful to know roughly who eventual viewers of these presentations are.

Second, what topics are worth including on the whole? Keep in mind certain topics may be applicable only to certain people, tc.

Those of you who are interested, feel free to add input at this document on both.

I think the next steps are:
  • Brainstorm target audiences
  • Brainstorm subject content
  • Collect available material and consolidate
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

enderland wrote:
First, what rough target audiences do we see this material being used in? At least medical students and young professionals from neurosphere and my interest. It will be helpful to know roughly who eventual viewers of these presentations are.

Second, what topics are worth including on the whole? Keep in mind certain topics may be applicable only to certain people, tc.

Those of you who are interested, feel free to add input at this document on both.

I think the next steps are:
  • Brainstorm target audiences
  • Brainstorm subject content
  • Collect available material and consolidate
Yes, this can be approached from different angles at once. One, as you mentioned is choosing the audience and then addressing topics for that audience. But a parallel approach is creating a master list of topics (as has now been started! Thanks!) which could in theory apply to different audiences. Then, several power point slides/graphs/charts/ect is created for each topic. Each person can choose which "audience" to tailor how they present the information.

When there is a critical mass of fleshed out topics, one can easily create a presentation by selecting the topics s/he wishes to covers, say, "tax minimization for the young professional", selects the preferred slide or slides for that topic, and arranges them into a presentation. Then, this "final" presentation, organized and packaged, can be offered as an example and used "off the shelf" if someone likes it this version of "tax minimization for the your professional".
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To the lurkers (those reading this forum but are not members): If you have any feedback about what you'd like to see (or don't like what you see), feel free to add your opinions directly to enderland's Brainstorming document. In Bogleheads® financial literacy project:
You can access the document and edit at this link. You do not have to be a wiki editor to contribute!
You also don't need to be a forum member. I took a stab at it (comments are in blue).
MrMiyagi

Post by MrMiyagi »

This sounds like a great project! Definitely needed for medical residents. We are for the most part, pretty clueless and prone to being eaten alive by the sharks.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

So is the Financial Literacy Project a comprehensive approach to personal finance or is it intended to emphasize the a "Bogleheadish" (low cost, do it yourself) approach to investing? As I read the linked document this is quite ambitious. (I'm not saying that it lacks merit, I just don't understand where it is headed.)
This seems far afield from the OP's interest in sharing BH presentations.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Peter Foley wrote:So is the Financial Literacy Project a comprehensive approach to personal finance or is it intended to emphasize the a "Bogleheadish" (low cost, do it yourself) approach to investing? As I read the linked document this is quite ambitious. (I'm not saying that it lacks merit, I just don't understand where it is headed.)
Very good questions. Overall, I think, yes, this can end up being a comprehensive approach to personal finance. This is how *I* see the project, but there are many ways to approach this, and the project can serve many different end results. But in general, the goal is to make it VERY easy for any individual to CREATE a powerpoint presentation to give to a group of people on any financial topic(s). One way to do this is to have the individual first decide on WHICH topics are appropriate for his audience. Then, from a master list of many topics (from the broad to the very specific), he/she can pull "pre-made" slides which illustrate the points to be made. For any given topic, there may be many ways to present the data, so there could be many examples to choose from. And of course the presenter could edit any slide if it's not quite what is wanted.

One of many ways to also accomplish this is to have people share EXISTING presentations, which of course will cover a range of topics, and then everyone is free to use any particular slide, modify it (or not) and then that slide can be linked to a specific topic. Also, some folks may find that existing presentations suit their needs and essentially use it "off the shelf".

Many topics are not particularly "Bogleheadish" in nature, but rather just "facts". I.e. how do taxes work, how does compounding work, etc. But for sections more specific to investing, such as asset allocation, impact of fees, or how to choose an advisor, then of course it would be Boglehead principles which would predominate, I assume.

Note, it doesn't necessarily have to be One Topic --> One Slide. It might be that someone creates a 10 slide "set" meant to illustrate the pros and cons of Roth IRAs. Basically, I envision a power-point based "wiki" one can use to pull information from as needed.

I hope that others who are interested in this will also give their opinion about how THEY see this project and what the goals are, because ultimately I think this can serve many different purposes.

NS
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

neurosphere wrote:
Peter Foley wrote:So is the Financial Literacy Project a comprehensive approach to personal finance or is it intended to emphasize the a "Bogleheadish" (low cost, do it yourself) approach to investing? As I read the linked document this is quite ambitious. (I'm not saying that it lacks merit, I just don't understand where it is headed.)
Very good questions. Overall, I think, yes, this can end up being a comprehensive approach to personal finance. This is how *I* see the project, but there are many ways to approach this, and the project can serve many different end results. But in general, the goal is to make it VERY easy for any individual to CREATE a powerpoint presentation to give to a group of people on any financial topic(s). One way to do this is to have the individual first decide on WHICH topics are appropriate for his audience. Then, from a master list of many topics (from the broad to the very specific), he/she can pull "pre-made" slides which illustrate the points to be made. For any given topic, there may be many ways to present the data, so there could be many examples to choose from. And of course the presenter could edit any slide if it's not quite what is wanted.

One of many ways to also accomplish this is to have people share EXISTING presentations, which of course will cover a range of topics, and then everyone is free to use any particular slide, modify it (or not) and then that slide can be linked to a specific topic. Also, some folks may find that existing presentations suit their needs and essentially use it "off the shelf".

Many topics are not particularly "Bogleheadish" in nature, but rather just "facts". I.e. how do taxes work, how does compounding work, etc. But for sections more specific to investing, such as asset allocation, impact of fees, or how to choose an advisor, then of course it would be Boglehead principles which would predominate, I assume.

Note, it doesn't necessarily have to be One Topic --> One Slide. It might be that someone creates a 10 slide "set" meant to illustrate the pros and cons of Roth IRAs. Basically, I envision a power-point based "wiki" one can use to pull information from as needed.

I hope that others who are interested in this will also give their opinion about how THEY see this project and what the goals are, because ultimately I think this can serve many different purposes.

NS
I agree that it could and should be broad since folks will then be able to then pick and choose whatever works for their particular presentation. And, when appropriate, I think topics should reflect Boglehead investing values. IMO, the more topics covered, the better.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's official, member presentations are now in the wiki: Bogleheads® financial literacy project :happy

Via PM, Peter Foley supplied links to his presentations and gave permission to use them for the forum. He was involved with the development of the Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, so we're off to a good start.

I took an initial cut at the table format, along with a summary of the slide topics. Everything is open for editing.

On the administrative side, it takes far too long to download slide content into the web browser. A wiki page chock full of slide presentations is not practical, so I created a table and supplied a link. You can download and view from there.

It may not be necessary to manually translate PowerPoint into Google Slides when the file is uploaded.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

The BYU Marrriott School has an on-line basic personal finance course that can provide a template for potential topics. The link is to the intermediate level of topics: Intermediate Lessons | Personal Finance. (Naturally, one can skip the topic elaboration directly tied to religious precepts).
Budgeting
Cash Management
Consumer and Mortgage Loans
Debt and Debt Reduction
Time Value of Money 1: Present and Future Value
Time Value of Money 2: Inflation, Real Returns, Annuities, and Amortized Loans
Insurance 1: Basics
Insurance 2: Life Insurance
Insurance 3: Health, Long-term Care, and Disability Insurance
Insurance 4: Auto, Homeowners, and Liability Insurance
The Home Decision
The Auto Decision
Family 1: Money and Marriage
Family 2: Teaching Children Financial Responsibility
Family 3: Financing Children’s Education and Missions
Investments A: Key Lessons of Investing
Investments B: Key Lessons of Investing
The advance section includes:
Tax Planning
Investments 1: Before you Invest
Investments 2: Your Investment Plan
Investments 3: Securities Market Basics
Investments 4: Bond Basics
Investments 5: Stock Basics
Investments 6: Mutual Fund Basics
Investments 7: Building Your Portfolio
Investments 8: Picking Financial Assets
Investments 9: Portfolio Rebalancing and Reporting
Retirement 1: Basics
Retirement 2: Social Security
Retirement 3: Employer Qualified Plans
Retirement 4: Individual and Small Business Plans
Estate Planning Basics
regards,
Last edited by Barry Barnitz on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

thanks LadyGeek for making that table and putting in Peter's presentations.

Also, Peter that's a GREAT presentation (the second link of yours). Specifically, I very much liked the discussion on how to calculate your "number". Very very nice.

So here is an example of where I think this literacy project can be helpful...

In the text document which lists the topics, is the topic or subtopic on "what's my number". Peter has 3-8 slides addressing this specific topic. Eventually, I would like to associate just that subset of slides dealing with "my number" to that topic heading, perhaps like this:

Topics:
-- What's my number and how to do I calculate it
** Slide set or example #1 (i.e. Peter's take on it, general overview)
** Slide set or example #2 (a different example or set of slides -- perhaps tailored to those nearing retirement)
** Slide set or example #3 (same topic, but perhaps tailored for recent graduates, for example)

Little by little, we can have an all power-point based wiki. The current wiki is for those individuals who can be given our web address and are good at seeking out information on their own. But the "presentation wiki" is for those that need "extra help" and need the message to be brought directly to them. :)
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

neurosphere

If you send me a PM I can send you PowerPoint as an attachment and you can take it from there. I don't know if I can attach a file to a PM or if I will need you actual e-mail address.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Peter Foley wrote:neurosphere

If you send me a PM I can send you PowerPoint as an attachment and you can take it from there. I don't know if I can attach a file to a PM or if I will need you actual e-mail address.
Do you mean for additional powerpoints you did not already provide to LG?

The powerpoint files your provided were put on the wiki in a link which allows anyone to download the entire presentation already. No need to send me via email. I'm merely asking for a way, eventually, to organize the material. We should have a section for complete presentations (as Lady Geek has just set up, where yours are the first two available) but another section as well where there are focused "mini-presentations". These focused topics could be as small as a single slide or even a single bullet point of text or perhaps as big as 4-10 slides, depending on the topic.

Your presentation has several topics. I was looking for a way to somehow link/join/point/etc a certain topic to a certain subset of your slides. It's an organizational/layout/programming thing, which I don't know how best to do, not a content thing.

But that brings up another question. Lady Geek, right now those links to the presentation are just links, right, independent of the wiki (looks like a google docs account), so that the links could be broken if an individual moves or deletes the original files? It's not a Bogleheads controlled docs account I assume?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, those are just links. Nothing is contained in the wiki.

After some experimentation (the first one is always the hardest...), I've found that Google does not translate MS products very well. Long story short, I did some editing and "fixed" the Google Slides version, then re-uploaded the MS PowerPoint version. Yes, I had to change the links.

Additionally, Peter Foley sent me the Excel file used to create the graphs in the presentation. So, there are now 4 files available. Is the first presentation useful? BTW, these presentations were utilized for Chapter 1 of the Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.

Here's the next revision: Bogleheads® financial literacy project

One important point: If you've ever typed in your name in MS Office anywhere (which is normally done during program installation), it will be in the file. Please make use of MS Office's "Inspect Document" feature to remove items such as a name or email address prior to uploading your document.

Does anyone else have a presentation they'd like to incorporate? Just post the link with a topic list and comments as shown in the wiki and one of the editors will take care of it.

(I'm updating tables and taking care of the formatting details, as they can be somewhat challenging to new editors. Once the format is nailed down, it's easy to update.)
neurosphere wrote:Your presentation has several topics. I was looking for a way to somehow link/join/point/etc a certain topic to a certain subset of your slides. It's an organizational/layout/programming thing, which I don't know how best to do, not a content thing.
Why not just put the Slide number next to the topic? E.g. "What is a Boglehead? (Slide 2)"
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

There are a couple of organizations which put together "financial education/literacy" content for others to use. Granted, these are geared more for the highschool crowd, but frankly I'd say that many college students are just as clueless..

Check them out:
http://www.hsfpp.org/about-the-program.aspx
http://www.financialworkshopkits.org/
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I'm not sure I want to become a Wiki editor, so I will post an additional subject for the outline. Under the taxes heading: Understanding marginal tax rates and their implications. This is a very complex topic that is related to others such as: "When to take SS?" "Should I do Roth conversions?" What's the best withdrawal strategy for someone in my situation?"

A very broad topic that could include a few sub topics would be "Consideration for transitioning from the accumulation stage to the withdrawal stage."
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

HI:

Fiddling around with google, I have started the following, which is published and open to the public for editing. Everyone is welcome to edit:

S&P 500 index - Google Drive

regards
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Barry Barnitz wrote:HI:

Fiddling around with google, I have started the following, which is published and open to the public for editing. Everyone is welcome to edit:

S&P 500 index - Google Drive

regards
Oh, I like those graphs. They are clean and clear, and a nice way to illustrate the volatility/risk of equities.

Let me share this site (which many of you will likely have seen)

One graphical way to reproduce stock returns over time is nicely illustrated at this site: http://www.crestmontresearch.com/stock-matrix-options/

Here is one example from that list in the link above, for yearly returns, starting in 1920, for the SP500 index. These are REAL returns, dividend reinvested, but do not take into account TAXES, but DO take into account fees. 2+ for early year, then decreasing to 1.5% for middle years and 1% since 2000. For boglehead investors, we know we can get (usually) our overall expense ratio sometime far below 1%.

http://www.crestmontresearch.com/docs/S ... -11x17.pdf

Anyway, it's a little detailed for a powerpoint slide, but would make a great handout. Alternately, the NYT created an easier to read version, which can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... aphic.html

I think this kind of graph is a good way to demonstrate that stocks are for the LONG term (i.e. MORE than 20 years) and show how much your return can vary depending on A) when you start and B) how long you hold.

Anyway, the images are copyrighted, but I wonder if we would be able to use those in a presentation if we agreed to keep the logo/website and copyright information?

Edit, found this on his website: All material available on this site may be used or referenced if the user references and acknowledges Crestmont Research and our website address (i.e. “Copyright 2013, http://www.CrestmontResearch.com” or “as presented by Crestmont Research (http://www.CrestmontResearch.com), …”)
Last edited by neurosphere on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I would refrain from using copyrighted material and strongly recommend that you create something similar on your own. You need explicit written permission from the publisher / author to reproduce the material, which usually does not extend to "others" - IOW, If you obtain permission, others can't copy from you... There's also fair-use, but it gets complicated and I'm not a lawyer.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The next revision: Bogleheads® financial literacy project

Changes:

- There's a 2nd document for reader feedback. Anyone can provide comments, including the lurkers (reading the forum, but not a member) - no login required. This was stated earlier, but perhaps the point was not clear. It's now highlighted in the document itself.
- Peter Foley's comments have been added to the Brainstorming document. If they're not right, just click on the link and fix them (no login required here, either).

Thanks to Nords, we now have material for our military service members. He also gave some good insight on how to present, so I created a new "Approach" section.
Nords

Post by Nords »

TTU wrote:Ive been thinking about proposing the same thing for a long time - trying to educate young Marines. I would be happy to help.
When I started The-Military-Guide.com (to market the book) I excerpted the first six months of blog posts from the book. It's not all of the book (no personal stories or chapter checklists) but it follows the table of contents. The chronological index is at:
http://the-military-guide.com/post-titles-by-month/
and the applicable posts are from September 2010 - March 2011, with a few diversions for other topics.
If I had to pick the top three posts for military basic financial literacy (Marines & other services) they'd be:
http://the-military-guide.com/2010/12/2 ... e-militar/
http://the-military-guide.com/2010/12/3 ... r-pension/ and
http://the-military-guide.com/2011/03/1 ... on-raises/

Another military financial literacy tool is the Total Pay iPhone/iPad app developed by Marine 1LT Matt Pagan at http://totalpayapp.com/
I blogged about it here:
http://the-military-guide.com/2013/04/1 ... ycheck-be/
It covers active-duty & Reserve pay tables as well as federal civil service.

Let me know if there are any particular military questions I could write about that aren't already part of the wiki.
[links fixed by admin LadyGeek]
* | * | Please see my profile for my next book. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I've incorporated Nords' info. See: Bogleheads® financial literacy project
Juniormint wrote:I would be willing to help and offer assistance. I work at a university and am currently coordinating efforts to create a financial literacy program for the university as a whole.
Do you have any presentations or other material that can be shared?

Does anyone else have something that we can link to from the wiki?
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

I have added a few more touches : S&P 500 Index. Still open for anyone to edit.

regards,
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I inserted a few comments. To edit the file, use this link: S&P 500 index
Barry Barnitz wrote:...The BYU Marrriott School has an on-line basic personal finance course that can provide a template for potential topics. The link is to the intermediate level of topics: Intermediate Lessons | Personal Finance. (Naturally, one can skip the topic elaboration directly tied to religious precepts)...
Brigham Young University’s Marriott School of Management: This site is quite impressive. First and foremost, all material is freely available for non-commercial use. Copying is encouraged. See: Copyright and Other Restrictions

For the purposes of providing 1 hour presentations, modifications will be needed. The material is intended to be a taught over multiple hour courses. There's also a religious aspect which can be utilized (or not) as required. You can find:

- Videos of the Complete College Course
- Previous Semester PowerPoint Presentations (Fall 2012)
- Personal Finance Manuals (PDFs)
- and a host of other material, just look at the left-side menu under Tools and Resources
playtothebeat wrote:There are a couple of organizations which put together "financial education/literacy" content for others to use. Granted, these are geared more for the highschool crowd, but frankly I'd say that many college students are just as clueless.. Check them out:
http://www.hsfpp.org/about-the-program.aspx
http://www.financialworkshopkits.org/
I could not evaluate the first link, NEFE’s High School Financial Planning Program®, as a login is required. Since they want to control access, I suspect that the material will have distribution restrictions. I didn't register for access.

The second link Financial Workshop Kits, also by the National Endowment for Financial Education ® (NEFE®), consists of a number of all-inclusive workshops which include PowerPoint presentations, scripts, handouts, other resources, and a FAQ. The distribution license is for non-profit non-commercial use only (Content License Agreement), copying is permitted under these conditions.

Here's an example, targeted for college students: Budgeting: Keeping Track of Your Money

=======================

I don't see anything which focuses on medical professionals, which is what neurosphere is looking for.