New York City Local Chapter established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
quanuec

New York City Local Chapter established

Post by quanuec »

I am a 32 year old boglehead (just joined the forum). I am interested in knowing if there is any New York city area chapter (I moved to NYC Manhattan) a few months ago. Any help is appreciated.
avram53

Re: New York city chapter

Post by avram53 »

quanuec,

I had run meetings in White Plains, NY for several years and may plan another meeting
in the future. Currently, nothing is on the schedule.

If you, or any other Boglehead in the NY/NJ/CT area would like to organize a meeting
of local Bogleheads, please feel free to post here, in this Bogleheads Local Chapter forum,
where you will be able to reach the people that are actively reading and participating in the forum.

Feel free to contact me directly and I'll be happy to give you suggestions.

Best,
Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

I am interested in meeting bogleheads near the New York city area. If there is sufficient interest in this thread, I will try and arrange a meetup. Please reply to this thread if you would be interested in meeting up.

avram - thanks for your offer to help. I will write to you to ask for tips on setting this up.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

quanuec wrote:I am interested in meeting bogleheads near the New York city area. If there is sufficient interest in this thread, I will try and arrange a meetup. Please reply to this thread if you would be interested in meeting up.

avram - thanks for your offer to help. I will write to you to ask for tips on setting this up.
Since you stated that you'd help organize the meetings, all we need now is for a few more members to show interest in a NY City Local Chapter. If we get enough interest, you can send me your first name and an email address that you'd like to use for this purpose, and I'll add your group and contact information to the Local Chapters Map so others can find you.

In the meantime, this sub-forum was set up for communications between current and prospective Local Chapter members, so feel free to use it to get things rolling.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Mel,

Thanks for your input.

Quanuec, I know that there are several people in NYC who will likely be interested in a local meet up.
Like you, I started out the same, wanting to meet other like minded Bogleheads and discuss personal finance and
savings so I could learn and use the concepts. I decided to organize meetings to do just that. Being a chapter organizer or organizing a particular meeting
doesn't mean you have to be an authority on all things Boglehead. You can be a new investor/saver interested in sharing
discussions and learning. The key is that you are willing to set up the date and location for a meeting and publicize it.

Again, feel free to contact me directly.

Ave
WhizKid

Post by WhizKid »

I would be very interested in joining a local NYC chapter meetup. Let's see who else is in.
dailybagel

Post by dailybagel »

WhizKid wrote:I would be very interested in joining a local NYC chapter meetup. Let's see who else is in.
I would be as well.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

So we have whiz and dailybagel. Including me, the count is three. Here is what I am thinking -

1: If the count hits 5, I will contact Mel with my name, email and telephone. I would then advertise a local meetup around 2-3 weeks from the point we hit 5 members.

2: I am thinking of organizing this meetup somewhere in midtown Manhattan, probably 6pm to 8pm, on a Friday.

3: I am reaching out to Ave to ask how I can get more members involved here.

Nothing could be more fun than to network with like minded bogleheads over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer. I look forward to having this event soon.
WhizKid

Post by WhizKid »

quanuec wrote: 2: I am thinking of organizing this meetup somewhere in midtown Manhattan, probably 6pm to 8pm, on a Friday.
This sounds great! I'm sure we can come up with at least two more interested members.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Good to know that whizkid!

My wife just got back home from work and she has graciously agreed to be the fourth boglehead for this meetup! So now, one more new yorker, and we can start planning!
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

The count has now hit 5. I live in NJ, near Princeton, but am a very nice NJ transit trip away.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

I live in NJ but work in NYC.
flyingby

Post by flyingby »

I would be interested as well. I live on uws.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

This is really exciting. We now have 7 people for this meetup.

(1): I am now going to contact Mel to advertise my name and email for this local NYC chapter.
(2): We have bogleheads from NJ, Princeton, and Queens interested in this meetup. I believe Mid-Town Manhattan should serve as a great venue. However, I want feedback on timing - Friday evening or a Saturday evening. While Friday 6pm to 8pm would work best for those who work in Manhattan, bogleheads working in NJ (or Queens etc) may not find it too convenient. On that other hand, people with families typically wont appreciate sacrificing a fine Saturday evening. I would appreciate your inputs so that we can "time" this to perfection :)

So far, we have the following in our NYC Chapter....

WhizKid
dailybagel
Calm Man
bsteiner
flyingby
quanuec
quanuec's wife
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

One more thing pertaining to the venue.

(1): Should it be a bar within happy hours?

(2): Should it be coffee shop?

My vote is for a Friday evening + bar.
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

Count me in!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

It's official. We now have a new Bogleheads Local Chapter in New York City. You are Local Chapter #55. Forum member quanuec (first name Tarun and email address - bogleheadnyc@gmail.com) has agreed to be the Local Chapter Coordinator.

Feel free to use this Local Chapters sub-form to communicate with each other regarding meeting dates, times, locations, agendas and anything else pertaining to your new Local Chapter.

Good luck, NYC Bogleheads!
KritonD

Re: New York City Local Chapter established

Post by KritonD »

I'd be interested in joining these meetups. Please add me to any distribution list.

Thanks!
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

The following have expressed interest in joining a NYC meetup.

WhizKid
dailybagel
Calm Man
bsteiner
flyingby
quanuec
RNJ
kritonD

Could each of you send me your email addresses at bogleheadnyc@gmail.com?
I will then proceed to form a email group. After that, I will setup our first meetup invitation in this sub-forum.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Mel - this page (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... t=778#wrap) still doesnt display Chapter 55. Do you know why?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

quanuec wrote:Mel - this page (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... t=778#wrap) still doesnt display Chapter 55. Do you know why?
It's a holiday. I've sent the information to the volunteer Boglehead who maintains the map, and he'll be adding your group as soon as he's able to do so. Once the map gets updated, that page you linked to should also be updated.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

bsteiner wrote:I live in NJ but work in NYC.
I live in NJ and often go to NYC and fortunately work less now than last year. Bsteiner you would be a great addition to the group and your expertise on your area of work is wonderful. I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing something as well.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

quanuec wrote:This is really exciting. We now have 7 people for this meetup.

(1): I am now going to contact Mel to advertise my name and email for this local NYC chapter.
(2): We have bogleheads from NJ, Princeton, and Queens interested in this meetup. I believe Mid-Town Manhattan should serve as a great venue. However, I want feedback on timing - Friday evening or a Saturday evening. While Friday 6pm to 8pm would work best for those who work in Manhattan, bogleheads working in NJ (or Queens etc) may not find it too convenient. On that other hand, people with families typically wont appreciate sacrificing a fine Saturday evening. I would appreciate your inputs so that we can "time" this to perfection :)

So far, we have the following in our NYC Chapter....

WhizKid
dailybagel
Calm Man
bsteiner
flyingby
quanuec
quanuec's wife
I wouldn't rule out a weekday evening. That may work even better for some. I don't know if there is a way to have a "group" room or something for communication about group-specific issues but that would be good if possible.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

quanuec wrote:One more thing pertaining to the venue.

I don't drink at all. But I know how to sit in a bar. Would something like a starbucks work where there is zero pressure to leave or buy anything as opposed to a bar? Not that we won't buy things but at our pace and I'm not sure we need some tipsy bogleheads at happy hour. Tell me if I am wrong but aren't bars "noisy" with music. Probably the main thing we need is a venue where we can sit as a group and hear everybody else in the group. But I am quite flexible as I am sure everybody is. and there are many things we can explore.
AllySK

Post by AllySK »

I'd be interested in meeting up! I also vote coffee shop or somewhere we can hear each other. Maybe even outdoors? :)
dailybagel

Post by dailybagel »

Thanks for your efforts so far, quanec!

I vote for meeting in a bar. Maybe if we did so on a Wednesday or Thursday, it would be a little quieter?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I'd be interested in attending a meeting if held in NYC as well.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Calm Man wrote:
quanuec wrote:One more thing pertaining to the venue.

I don't drink at all. But I know how to sit in a bar. Would something like a starbucks work where there is zero pressure to leave or buy anything as opposed to a bar? Not that we won't buy things but at our pace and I'm not sure we need some tipsy bogleheads at happy hour. Tell me if I am wrong but aren't bars "noisy" with music. Probably the main thing we need is a venue where we can sit as a group and hear everybody else in the group. But I am quite flexible as I am sure everybody is. and there are many things we can explore.
Agree - bars are noisy! But even moreso on a Thursday night (for those into the bar scene will attest to), since the summer is nearly upon us, most folks will be leaving on Friday nights to head to the shores or go on vacation.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
wastenot

Post by wastenot »

Count me in for the NYC chapter.

As to a meeting place, bars tend to be noisy an dark. In addition, Manhattan bars and coffee shops tend to get impatient when people sit together for a long time without buying a lot on the menu.

Could I suggest that you call the NY Public Library branch called the Science Industry and Business LIbrary? They have rooms available for small groups to meet on business-related topics. To contact the library, call 917-275-6975.

Warm regards,

Wastenot
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

(1) - City bars would be noisy even on week nights. Plus there will always be pressure to buy drinks and leave. I would assume the same for coffee shops as well.

(2) - I know of places in Queens (Forest Hills, right next to E station) - which are bars with backrooms and would allow to socialize and hear each other out. The minimum expectation would be to buy some sort of a drink out there.

(3) - Public Library also sounds like a great idea to meetup. I will call the number listed.

Will you guys be open to Queens or Brooklyn (areas close to Manhattan and with direct train connectivity)?
bowes11217

Post by bowes11217 »

Count me in too! I'd love to meet New York Bogleheads, and I'm happy to meet in any borough or venue that the most people will like.
AllySK

Post by AllySK »

wastenot wrote:Count me in for the NYC chapter.

As to a meeting place, bars tend to be noisy an dark. In addition, Manhattan bars and coffee shops tend to get impatient when people sit together for a long time without buying a lot on the menu.

Could I suggest that you call the NY Public Library branch called the Science Industry and Business LIbrary? They have rooms available for small groups to meet on business-related topics. To contact the library, call 917-275-6975.

Warm regards,

Wastenot
That's a great idea. Found this online: http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/65/node/58071
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

I'm in. Vote for midtown Manhattan. Hate bars. Love NYPL.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

The enthusiasm shown by NYC bogleheads has exceeded my wildest expectations!!

The library is a great idea - but the issue is that it can only host a maximum of 10 people. (http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/65/node/58071)

I will research more about potential venues and get back to you all.
IH80

Post by IH80 »

Hi,
First time posting on the bogleheads forum but I would be interested in attending a NYC bogleheads meeting.
I work and live in central NJ.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Count me in as well!
Brian2d

Post by Brian2d »

I'm in as well.
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Tarun and I have now spoken about how best to create a meeting.

First, let me say that I am so happy to see the enthusiasm for new Boglehead meetings
in the NY city area! It's a wonderful way to meet and share your common questions and
thoughts about saving and managing your money and other related topics.

I told Tarun that, in my experience running about thirteen meetings, it was best to find
a clean affordable restaurant or deli with a dining room, that was quiet enough for participants
to hear each other, where each attendee could buy whatever they wanted to eat or drink (or not).
And the location should be reasonably convenient to public transportation.
It was a "win win" in that the restaurant/deli owner gets business, and bogleheads get a free place to meet.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Best,
Ave
Last edited by avram53 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nahum

Post by Nahum »

I'm from Brooklyn, I work most of the time on 54 St in the West side. I would definetly be interested. If I may suggest, we can pick a concourse level where we may gather. I think the Citicorp building @ 53rd St has a concourse level or maybe at Sony. Weeknights work for me.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Could potentially make it for a Mon - Thurs timing, which I agree is good for commuters. Various Irish bar/restaurants can work for these types of things. Connely's for example has various locations, including Madison and 47th. That particular one might be on the noisy side, not sure.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

swaption wrote:Could potentially make it for a Mon - Thurs timing, which I agree is good for commuters. Various Irish bar/restaurants can work for these types of things. Connely's for example has various locations, including Madison and 47th. That particular one might be on the noisy side, not sure.
I've been there - it's noisy, doesn't matter what day of the week you go.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
swaption wrote:Could potentially make it for a Mon - Thurs timing, which I agree is good for commuters. Various Irish bar/restaurants can work for these types of things. Connely's for example has various locations, including Madison and 47th. That particular one might be on the noisy side, not sure.
I've been there - it's noisy, doesn't matter what day of the week you go.
Yes, you're probably right. Another thought might be a place like Burger Heaven on 49th. Centrally located, relatively low key, and probably busier with the lunch crowd.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Hi, long-time lurker and newbie poster, living in NYC. Could you please add me to the list of potential attendees as well? Would love to attend if possible! :)
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I have a feeling this will turn out to be a tremendous group. I am confused as to this subforum. Is it all in the form of responses and posts of messages as opposed to having a distinct link? If so, if a new message or string is generated I guess it has to appear on the main board too, right?
Fashionfixnyc

Post by Fashionfixnyc »

i also live in new york city . you can also include me to be part of New York city local chapter. if i may make a suggestion how about Sony Plaza Public Atrium its a giant space and its in midtown area and also has a quiet lounge area. we can all meet up and the great thing about this location it has a star bucks :)

Sony Plaza Public Atrium
550 Madison Ave at 56st, NYC 10022 {Between 55th St & 56th St}
New York, NY 10022

Nearest Transit Station:
5 Av/53 St (E, M)
5 Av/59 St (N, Q, R)
59 St (4, 5, & 6)

Mta Bus Lines
M1
M2
M3
M4
M5
Q32
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Sony Plaza Public Atrium - I like this idea.

Would they allow us to meet and use the public atrium?

I would visit this atrium on Thursday and ask questions to make sure this can be used for our meeting. If yes, then I will organize a time and date for us to begin this chapter!!
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

I would be interested in attending, pending the time and location. I think the Sony Public Atrium suggestion is a good one.
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

I would also be very interested. I work in midtown and live in lower Manhattan. I think the library or similar type of space is best. That still wouldn't rule out a bar for the after-party, of course...

SAM
Fashionfixnyc

Post by Fashionfixnyc »

yes i have attended several meet up groups at the sony plaza public atrium. one time we had 20 people in our meet up group with no issues.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

With the NY chapter now meeting in the city, and another chapter in Philadelphia, the NJ chapter no longer has much occasion to meet; we were already having difficulty getting enough people for a meeting. I will keep the NJ chapter active as a mailing list only.

I have posted an announcement of the New York chapter to the NJ Bogleheads mailing list.
Wiki David Grabiner