Even After New Highs, The Rally May Last (NY Times)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jbk

Even After New Highs, The Rally May Last (NY Times)

Post by jbk »

Interesting article for those on the sidelines who may be concerned that this is a bad time to dive in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/06/busin ... wanted=all
pjstack

Re: Even After New Highs, The Rally May Last (NY Times)

Post by pjstack »

Maybe yes, maybe no, blah, blah, etc. (Repeat as necessary to write an article.)

No body knows.
pjstack
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Beginning of the week, I invested a chunk of money in Vanguard's International Small Cap ETF (VSS).

Naturally, as soon as Vanguard settled my order, VSS started dropping. But I don't care (much). I had some money to roll into my retirement accounts, I executed my asset allocation plan, and life goes on.

I don't time markets. When I have money to put into my allocations, I put it in. I always presume that time will smooth out the ups and downs as the markets trundle on.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

pjstack wrote:Maybe yes, maybe no, blah, blah, etc. (Repeat as necessary to write an article.)

No body knows.
I apologize for the flippant tone of my response (above).

I know that some people agonize over articles like the one referenced by the OP, and, really, who am I to make light of their anxiety?

I guess my only point (not stated in my flip reply) was that if you are in the business of writing articles that your editor will buy, you interview various experts/pundits and quote their opinions. Opinions are like bellybuttons: everybody has one.

After finally believing that "stay the course" is really the best way to go, now I just concentrate on whether my asset allocation (the "course") is OK for me and leave the pundits to fend for themselves.

Who knows? (Nobody.)
pjstack
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

jbk wrote:Interesting article for those on the sidelines who may be concerned that this is a bad time to dive in.

So, let me see. The NYT gives me ten free looks at its articles every month. I have decided this article is not worth using one of those free looks.

In spite of pjstack's angst, I am fully on the side of mocking and deriding articles like this.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
jimkinny

Post by jimkinny »

pjstack wrote:
pjstack wrote:Maybe yes, maybe no, blah, blah, etc. (Repeat as necessary to write an article.)

No body knows.
I apologize for the flippant tone of my response (above).

I know that some people agonize over articles like the one referenced by the OP, and, really, who am I to make light of their anxiety?

I guess my only point (not stated in my flip reply) was that if you are in the business of writing articles that your editor will buy, you interview various experts/pundits and quote their opinions. Opinions are like bellybuttons: everybody has one.

After finally believing that "stay the course" is really the best way to go, now I just concentrate on whether my asset allocation (the "course") is OK for me and leave the pundits to fend for themselves.

Who knows? (Nobody.)
I agree with both the emotional response and the rational response.

Jim
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Well, the Stewart article linked in the OP may be helpful for people who want to tell folks that wish to sell to "stay the course", such as in this thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=114287 And it seems the intent of jbk (the OP) is to help folks who post on the forum "Should I invest now or wait?".

After all, the messsage of James B Stewart's article is simple: The market may go up from here. Well, duh.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Taylor Larimore

N.Y. Times article

Post by Taylor Larimore »

jbk wrote:Interesting article for those on the sidelines who may be concerned that this is a bad time to dive in.

jbk:

Thank you for the link to the N.Y. Times article which contains interesting information about historical returns and the logic of Mr. Bogle's sage advice:

"Stay the course."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

The NYT influences many people. Maybe this article will be the "tipping point" and open the floodgates behaviorly for individuals to return to the Market. I have reached the conclusion that the Boglehead way requires too much mental stability to ever catch on ( thank God!). The herd mentality will always rule and the majority of investors will continue to make mistakes. Loss aversion rules.
It is the Boglehead philosphy that is aberrant.
OverTheHill

Post by OverTheHill »

What the NYT knows about the market and finance you could put in a thimble and still have room for your thumb.