My Review of Vanguard's Financial Plan

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Bacchus01

Re: My Review of Vanguard's Financial Plan

Post by Bacchus01 »

Interesting, I've moved $400K to Vanguard since Jan 1 and not a single welcome phone call.
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

Bacchus01 wrote:Interesting, I've moved $400K to Vanguard since Jan 1 and not a single welcome phone call.
They sent me a nice Thank You card :happy
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
TroutMD

Post by TroutMD »

LFKB wrote:I moved over $100k (less than $500k) of assets to Vanguard this week and was offered a free conversation with a CFP as well. He basically recommended the three fund portfolio but with California Intermediate-Term Tax Exempt in place of Total Bond Market due to my tax rate. I told him I wanted to tilt to small cap and he said that was fine and asked how much of my US equities I wanted in small cap and we came up with the split for TSM and small cap index. He was also useful in answering some other questions about the funds and taxes. Overall, I didn't learn anything that I hadn't already read on here. I went with with an allocation I was planning on and he agreed with it. Basically the jest of it is the advice you get on here is likely just as good as the advice you'll get from the planner. That's not a knock on the planner, just shows that people here generally know what they're talking about.

I feel a little cheated; I did the same about 6 weeks ago and all I got was a 'Thank You Card' in the mail. I had no offers of talking to a 'CFP'. Did this come by email or snail mail? There is a chance I overlooked it... Although, I am not certain they would have much to add.
mike127

Post by mike127 »

TroutMD wrote: I feel a little cheated; I did the same about 6 weeks ago and all I got was a 'Thank You Card' in the mail. I had no offers of talking to a 'CFP'. Did this come by email or snail mail? There is a chance I overlooked it... Although, I am not certain they would have much to add.
TroutMD, did you ask for this? I asked Vanguard for a CFP consultation as a part of moving well less than $500k to them and they were happy to allow this.

I know they do have general policies to charge for financial planning post-account open, and it's not cost-effective for them to do this for all investors, so I don't know if you'll have the same result. But if this is something you're interested in, I'd suggest you give them a call.

(Incidentally, nobody sent me a thank you card, so maybe it was either-or :D )
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

These types of asset allocations are of limited use. Most do not consider other assets you have, just the funds the companies have under their management.

I think you need to include all investments you own in these calculations.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Bacchus01 wrote:Interesting, I've moved $400K to Vanguard since Jan 1 and not a single welcome phone call.
If you invest $500k or more you get a free dozen Duncan donuts. Unfortunately you were $100k short.

:wink:
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett