Living in a "shoebox"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InvestorNewb

Living in a "shoebox"

Post by InvestorNewb »

Hello,

I was wondering if any Bogleheads go to extreme levels of frugality by living in a few hundred square feet or less. This could be in a "shoebox" type apartment or a vehicle like an RV. My rent is quite high so I was sort of toying with the idea of looking for a shoebox apartment.

I wouldn't consider myself cheap though - I eat out every day (sometimes 2x). I'm just tired of writing a hefty check to my landlord every month, and housing/condos are quite expensive in my area for one person. I would also prefer not to have roommates.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Dave76

Re: Living in a "shoebox"

Post by Dave76 »

I thought about the RV idea as well. I'm not sure if it would conflict with employment and state residency/domicile status.
momar

Post by momar »

It can take a lot of money to live a minimalist lifestyle like this. Anytime you need something, you need to buy it. You won't have room to store much of anything.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sure, doesn't every man have a "man cave" in their McMansion?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

I've lived in a 300 sq ft apartment. It was in a great location, and I enjoyed it a lot. I found the space perfectly livable with a futon and a desk with storage; with some creativity, I was able to keep everything essential plus make room for some decently space-intensive hobbies. I think you'll typically find these in very urban areas where RV living is impossible, and thus they won't be cheap. However, I was across the street from a grocery store, walking distance to work, and 5 minutes walking from legions of restaurants, shops, bars, and transportation options.
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

300 sq. feet? That's huge! (Japan’s Coffin Apartments Are Not for Claustrophobes). More seriously, on some guy's money-saving site I read about how he lived in on $7000-$8000 a year by staying in an RV. But he split costs with his girlfriend.
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

I live in a shoebox but I still pay $1100 a month in rent. lol
market timer

Post by market timer »

In my adult life, I've never lived in more than a 500 sqft apt, generally with no furniture aside from a bed, dresser, and bookshelf. Rent is still over $2000/month.
xram

Post by xram »

Rent $2200 per month
6225 square feet
Way too big for me
FYI: it's not in NYC...

Hoping to move out and buy an older 2500 square foot house for hopefully 200k or so...
Still looking.....
VTI, VBR, VTWV, SCHH, VXUS, VEA, VWO, VSS, FM, VNQI, VBTLX, VFITX, SCHP, VWITX, IBONDS, EEBONDS, EF(EverBank), UTAH-529
eddiejov55

Post by eddiejov55 »

Me and the Mrs. currently occupy 700 square feet. $660 per month in rent. We are house shopping but have lived here for 3 years...I love it. The Mrs...not so much :)
ddj

Post by ddj »

A worthwhile documentary on the subject. Others exist too.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/we-the-t ... se-people/
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I've been living in an unfinished basement for the past 10 months. It's probably 500+^ft, but I don't have walls or other amenities most people deem necessary in a residence. I am never home due to work and other responsibilities, it's in the home of one of my GF's best friends (and she lives right down the street), it's about a mile from my office, and rent is less than 5% of my take home so it is pretty much ideal . My last apartment with my ex-wife was 530^ft; I loved the place, but she hated it because we couldn't entertain.

I am definitely one who views housing as a consumption item, I don't have any desires to have a large home. I prefer a small place, besides the financial benefits it keeps you from accumulating too much stuff and it is almost impossible to lose things. Wish the GF had the same view; although very bogleheadish in every other way, she already owns a nice 2100^ft home (she calls her "single" home) and is in the process of buying a ~3500^ft home which she says will be where she raises her kids....maybe it's a hint?
cb474

Post by cb474 »

I used to live in a 370 sq ft apartment. It was fine, in terms of space. Mounting shelves high up on the walls, instead of having free standing shelves and furniture is a great way to save floor space and still have a decent amount of storage. I made the shelves myself, so they had a nice custom fit appearance. Now I'm in a place more than twice as large, with the same stuff, but no shelves on the walls, and it's hard to imagine how it all used to fit so comfortably in a much smaller space. So if you're creative, I think you can make a pretty small space really comfortable.

But the 370 sq ft place wasn't cheap. Just in a central location in a major city. Indeed, ironically, friends would come over and comment on what a large place it was (for the city). The new place in a different city, though larger and nicer, is about the same price.

The thing I've found, when I think about downsizing to save money, is that there's nothing in a location I want to live in that's cheaper and not pure junk. People don't make nice small places (unless it's Manhattan, Tokyo, Paris--but then it's not cheap). It seems like the market has kind of figured out how much money people have to spend on rent or mortgages and is going to offer you what you can just barely accept for that price. Below a certain price, it quickly becomes undesireable properties and/or locations.

In the end, it's always seemed like a puzzle in which the real estate market is one step ahead of me. So unless you're already in a place that's way larger and fancier than you need, I wonder if the decent inexpensive shoebox in an acceptable location really exists.

Maybe that's all just a complicated way of saying, there's not much of a market for shoeboxes--accept in places where space is at an extreme premium and then they're expensive anyway. But if you find one, more power to you. I think you could make it into something you'd like.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

InvestorNewb wrote:I wouldn't consider myself cheap though - I eat out every day (sometimes 2x).
Apparently you can do without a kitchen, that should save 50 sq ft or so. :)
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

It seems like the market has kind of figured out how much money people have to spend on rent or mortgages and is going to offer you what you can just barely accept for that price. Below a certain price, it quickly becomes undesireable properties and/or locations.

I love this comment. This very thought has crossed my mind so many times and I think it may extend to other consumables as well.....

Since real estate pricing is driven nearly entirely by location, I am very curious as to where some of these posters are living. Assume that $2200 for less than 700 sq ft is a major metro area and $660 for the same is a rural area...

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Glad you found my comment interesting. It's a thought that was won arduously through looking and looking for places that would better suit my needs or finances and never finding anything that was even close. I guess you could say I've been defeated by my own desires. I am unwilling to accept the locations or step down in quality required to find something less expensive.

But one thing I really have found is that being willing to compromise purely on size, as the OP entertains, does not seem to get my anywhere. There's a certain bottom limit to the size people seem to want in a given location, which I'm already at (in my area a one bedroom about 750 sq ft apartment). Anything below that is just pure junk, in a horrible building, or some crazy lightless basement apartment with a hotplate for a kitchen. It's aimed at an entirely different type of tenant.

A decent reasonably priced shoebox doesn't exist. Or if there is a smaller place that's nice, it's just as expensive as what I have (either because it's fancier or in a better location). Perhaps this is only true in highly desirable areas though. It would be intereting if the OP decides to pursue this idea to know what he finds.
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

My apt is under 500 Sq feet and has everything I need. It is modern and cute, in a desirable location with a view out the huge windows. I did have to get used to the size but now quite like it. It is 2 rooms plus kitchen and bath and the price is right.

I had to pare down my possessions which I needed to do anyway. Small is beautiful!
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

I live in a 300 sq ft 1 room apartment. It may seem small but is not unheard of in NYC where I live. When I moved into the city I promised myself I would continue to save as much as I had while living in the suburbs, so a small, less expensive place was the way to go. Not only do I save on maintenance charges, but I didn't have to spend money on lots of furniture to furnish the place. When I get stir crazy, I go outside for a walk or drive. My family and friends tease me about it sometimes, but I have become financially independent and retired at the age of 47 as a result of my frugality.
kitteh

Post by kitteh »

Part of the Arcade Providence's 225 sq ft $550 a month apartments in downtown Providence. I'd live in this in a minute if I weren't living in the old family homestead. A lot of what I have is superfluous. Maintenance on a house is a real headache.

Living area, full kitchen except no stove - has a microwave, bathroom, bedroom, even an extra fold down bed for a guest. Food places downstairs. Laundry room on site.

ossipago

Post by ossipago »

cb474 wrote:Glad you found my comment interesting. It's a thought that was won arduously through looking and looking for places that would better suit my needs or finances and never finding anything that was even close. I guess you could say I've been defeated by my own desires. I am unwilling to accept the locations or step down in quality required to find something less expensive.

But one thing I really have found is that being willing to compromise purely on size, as the OP entertains, does not seem to get my anywhere. There's a certain bottom limit to the size people seem to want in a given location, which I'm already at (in my area a one bedroom about 750 sq ft apartment). Anything below that is just pure junk, in a horrible building, or some crazy lightless basement apartment with a hotplate for a kitchen. It's aimed at an entirely different type of tenant.

A decent reasonably priced shoebox doesn't exist. Or if there is a smaller place that's nice, it's just as expensive as what I have (either because it's fancier or in a better location). Perhaps this is only true in highly desirable areas though. It would be intereting if the OP decides to pursue this idea to know what he finds.
A large part of this is due to zoning ordinances, which mandate minimum apartment sizes for renovations and new construction. This means the small units tend to be older housing stock - and thus not particularly nice. Some cities such as NYC, LA and DC are moving towards approving more microlofts and other very small living spaces.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

InvestorNewb wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if any Bogleheads go to extreme levels of frugality by living in a few hundred square feet or less. This could be in a "shoebox" type apartment or a vehicle like an RV. My rent is quite high so I was sort of toying with the idea of looking for a shoebox apartment.
Go extreme!! A cell at Supermax in Florence, Colorado is quite roomy... and free.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

livesoft wrote:Sure, doesn't every man have a "man cave" in their McMansion?
"man cave"

What a horrible, horrible word.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

A shoebox is in the toe of the beholder.

My benchmark is a 20m^2 (< 300 sq ft) room in a communal apartment with a shared kitchen, lavatory and bathroom. There was no running hot water, and I had to warm up water to do the dishes; otherwise, the apartment had all modern conveniences. Excellent location near the city center and parks, with outstanding public transportation which usually was not necessary because the most interesting places were within walking distance.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

VictoriaF wrote:A shoebox is in the toe of the beholder.

My benchmark is a 20m^2 (< 300 sq ft) room in a communal apartment with a shared kitchen, lavatory and bathroom. There was no running hot water, and I had to warm up water to do the dishes; otherwise, the apartment had all modern conveniences.
No hot showers means "not civilized" in my book.

Brian
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Default User BR wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:A shoebox is in the toe of the beholder.

My benchmark is a 20m^2 (< 300 sq ft) room in a communal apartment with a shared kitchen, lavatory and bathroom. There was no running hot water, and I had to warm up water to do the dishes; otherwise, the apartment had all modern conveniences.
No hot showers means "not civilized" in my book.

Brian
In the bathroom (as in bath room) there was a gas heater that allowed us having hot showers and hot baths. But washing dishes in the bathtub was not an option.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

momar wrote:It can take a lot of money to live a minimalist lifestyle like this. Anytime you need something, you need to buy it. You won't have room to store much of anything.
I lived in 400 sq ft or less for about 10 years. Can't recall a lot of things that I needed to buy. On top of that just because one needs something doesn't mean one needs to buy it. One can often rent it or borrow it. One can even lend out their stuff for friends to use as needed provided they store at their place as well. Or friends may store stuff in return for other favors.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

My wife and I live in a 450 square foot apartment and pay a total of ~$625 a month (including utilities). We love it. Easier to manage and clean and prevents us from buying more stuff since we don't have room! :)
xram

Post by xram »

I once lived in a 3 foot by 4 foot hole in the ground behind an abandoned warehouse. It was great. Utilities were low. Just me sitting in a hole with a 59 inch flat screen. Hard to entertain but you get used to it. Wind and water were little bit of a problem but nothing I couldn't deal with. The guy next to me had a 5 by 7 hole in the ground and I thought about digging a bigger hole in the ground but decided that would be a little too extravagant for my tastes. Good luck.

Xram
Last edited by xram on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
VTI, VBR, VTWV, SCHH, VXUS, VEA, VWO, VSS, FM, VNQI, VBTLX, VFITX, SCHP, VWITX, IBONDS, EEBONDS, EF(EverBank), UTAH-529
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

It's been 40 years since I read it, but you don't want to turn into that character from "Stranger in a Strange Land".
kitteh

Post by kitteh »

halfnine wrote:
momar wrote:It can take a lot of money to live a minimalist lifestyle like this. Anytime you need something, you need to buy it. You won't have room to store much of anything.
I lived in 400 sq ft or less for about 10 years. Can't recall a lot of things that I needed to buy. On top of that just because one needs something doesn't mean one needs to buy it. One can often rent it or borrow it. One can even lend out their stuff for friends to use as needed provided they store at their place as well. Or friends may store stuff in return for other favors.
What is all this stuff momar needs to buy?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

My concern with apartment buildings filled with small living spaces is not so much the stuff I might accumulate... My larger concern would be the stuff my neighbors might accumulate. I was watching a series of videos on small living spaces in large cities (much smaller than 300 sq ft) and the amount of stuff people packed into some of those places was nothing short of a fire hazard. Then again, there's nothing stopping a pack rat from moving in next to you in a regular apartment complex either. But it just seems like the potential for having a major fire hazard in close proximity increases as the density of housing increases.

On the other hand, I also saw some very well-organized, creative solutions to living in small spaces while watching those videos. Many of them revolve around the principle of multiple use... such as a bed/couch/dining bench or using creative cabinet solutions to store items out of sight when not in use.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I lived in a 200 square foot co-op across the street from the UN called Tudor City. I loved the location,I was in my 20's and out every night.
It was the perfect apartment for me at that time. My present apartment is about 4.5 times that size and suits me well now.
Still that was a great 6-7 years.

Below is a similarly sized apartment in the same building.

http://www.tudorcity.com/Sale5tcp1710.html
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

xram wrote:I once lived in a 3 foot by 4 foot hole in the ground behind an abandoned warehouse. It was great. Utilities were low. Just me sitting in a hole with a 59 inch flat screen. Hard to entertain but you get used to it. Wind and water were little bit of a problem but nothing I couldn't deal with. The guy next to me had a 5 by 7 hole in the ground and I thought about digging a bigger hole in the ground but decided that would be a little too extravagant for my tastes. Good luck.

Xram
I would have extended the hole a foot just so I didn't have to fit the TV in diagonally. I guess I'm just decadent.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

The home I live in approx. 8 months a year is, I think, around 2400 sq ft., 4 br Victorian. Very nice place. There are rooms I hardly ever use.

The home I live in approx. 4 months/year is, I think , under 500 sq. ft. , could be closer to 400 not counting balcony, I don't know. Not a shoebox, but a studio apartment.

Neither one makes me more happy than the other. Happiness and its roots are deeper than that. The studio is a hell of a lot easier to take care of.
webslinger

Post by webslinger »

For those Bogleheads in the New York metro area or those planning to visit, you may want to see the exhibit called "Making Room " at the Museum of the City of New York http://www.mcny.org/. It is quite an enlightening exhibit displaying some of the most innovative and creative concepts for living in small spaces by architects and designers. One highlight, is a life-size, wall through 300 sq foot apartment.

Side note: the Museum of the City of New York is one of the many gems the city has to offer.

Webslinger
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

webslinger wrote:For those Bogleheads in the New York metro area or those planning to visit, you may want to see the exhibit called "Making Room " at the Museum of the City of New York http://www.mcny.org/. It is quite an enlightening exhibit displaying some of the most innovative and creative concepts for living in small spaces by architects and designers. One highlight, is a life-size, wall through 300 sq foot apartment.

Side note: the Museum of the City of New York is one of the many gems the city has to offer.

Webslinger
That sounds very interesting....could be useful for ideas. Thanks for the tip.