5-year high news

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
harikaried

5-year high news

Post by harikaried »

For those who paid attention to finance news before 2000s, did people bother reporting on 5-year highs?

5-year sliding window for S&P 500
https://www.google.com/finance?chddm=486404&q=.INX

If you drag the time range so that the end of timerange is 2000 and then start sliding left, pretty much every month was a 5-year high for the previous 20 years. Not very exciting news. Or maybe not news but still exciting for some.
littlebird

Re: 5-year high news

Post by littlebird »

In the 80's, they weren't "5-year highs"; they were "new highs". :D
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Bah humbug! Come back and talk to me when we reach a new high adjusted for inflation... later this year :mrgreen:
Last edited by gnosis on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

Good news today. Hope we can go higher
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Nowhere near a record, when factoring in inflation.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Dow has recovered since last year so the "news" is based on price only return, which does not make sense to me.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I hate this. I still have a bunch of cash to invest and although I have no sense of being able to market time, my next purchase is due on April 1, and at these levels I have to hold my nose or hold off a bit. This thing has gone straight up without so much as a 5% correction.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Calm Man wrote:I hate this. I still have a bunch of cash to invest and although I have no sense of being able to market time, my next purchase is due on April 1, and at these levels I have to hold my nose or hold off a bit. This thing has gone straight up without so much as a 5% correction.
I agree. We're due for a huge correction, but stay the course. It may continue to go up unabated, I would not wait.
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

For equity investing to make any sense at all on a buy and hold basis, then "new highs" need to happen all the time, not just once every 5 or 10 years.
HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter »

Calm Man wrote:I hate this. I still have a bunch of cash to invest and although I have no sense of being able to market time, my next purchase is due on April 1, and at these levels I have to hold my nose or hold off a bit. This thing has gone straight up without so much as a 5% correction.
This time it will be different too. I just wonder what all the paper gain really means right now. Maybe makes joesixpack feel OK and gives equity leverage for companies looking to collateralize their stock for something like credit or a buyout, but I still have a difficult time believing that Mr. Market gives free lunches.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

ResNullis wrote» Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:11 pm
For equity investing to make any sense at all on a buy and hold basis, then "new highs" need to happen all the time, not just once every 5 or 10 years.
I don't understand your point. Over the past 10 years with dividends reinvested VTSMX has gained 140%. Over the past 20 years, 450%. It seems to make a lot of sense to me to buy and hold a low cost, widely diversified index fund for the long term in spite of its volatility.

Garland Whizzer
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Call me when we hit 16,500... then I will be more excited.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

In the same boat, but I need more bonds. If the equity rally is irrationally real (I don't even know what that means :oops: ), then we'll probably see a real move out of bonds, which so far hasn't taken place - time will tell. I know it's of little consequence long term to try and time a bond% drop, but I love a sale.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle