Best/easiest spreadsheet program?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tcs11705

Best/easiest spreadsheet program?

Post by tcs11705 »

And could you say perhaps which has the best tutorial you might've found?

Thanks.
Kernschatten

Re: Best/easiest spreadsheet program?

Post by Kernschatten »

I use Excel at work and LibreOffice at home (Linux user). Both programs accomplish the same goal and are reasonably easy to do what I need to do.
I often find myself googling how to perform a goal that I have in mind. I always seem to be able to accomplish what I need, whether it be formulas to force Excel to round to the nearest five or automatically change cells using conditional formatting. So no, I don't know of any specific tutorials, but would be interested if someone has a better source than Google.
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

Excel. The one Microsoft program I never find myself cursing.

Kernschatten wrote:would be interested if someone has a better source than Google.
No such thing.
bish0p

Post by bish0p »

If you want all the open source goodness without the bloat, try Gnumeric.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Google "Docs" incorporated within Google Drive :happy

https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/drive ... index.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Beantown85 wrote:Excel. The one Microsoft program I never find myself cursing.
Try running the FFT() function on 4096 data points.
soaring

Post by soaring »

If you decide to use MS Excel here is the best source I've found for getting excel questions answered by experienced folks.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/gp_newsgroups_master
Desiderata
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I use the latest Excel at work, and OpenOffice at home.

Excel is definetely better overall, but for the small number of spreadsheets I make for personal use, OpenOffice is a better choice because it is free. For work where the cost is less important than my time, Excel is better.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I second the recommendation of Google sheets. I like the fact that data is stored remotely, so can be accessed from anywhere and can be shared. My wife and I share a sheet for household budget and expenses. Google also keeps previous versions of the sheet. I can't say much for their tutorial, but find that I can use the extensive help/tutorials that exist for Excel since many of the functions are the same.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Boglenaut wrote:I use the latest Excel at work, and OpenOffice at home.

Excel is definetely better overall, but for the small number of spreadsheets I make for personal use, OpenOffice is a better choice because it is free. For work where the cost is less important than my time, Excel is better.
Soon it may be the case that:
At HOME where the cost is less important than my time.

I also use both, mostly Excel when I need to work with other people who use Excel, mainly work and church.
I use OpenOffice at home because I don't need to do that much, and I can get it and install/upgrade it whenever
I need to on any desktop/laptop I use whether Linux or MS Windows. So open office actually is easier for me.