What is the percentage of Bonds in your Portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

What is the percentage of Bonds (plus Fixed Income and equivalent) in your Total Portfolio?

0 to (Age - 35)%
10%
(Age - 35)% to (Age - 25)%
9%
(Age - 25)% to (Age - 15)%
20%
(Age - 15)% to (Age - 05)%
29%
(Age - 05)% to (Age + 05)%
17%
(Age + 05)% to (Age + 15)%
10%
(Age + 15)% to (Age + 25)%
1%
(Age + 25)% to (Age + 35)%
1%
(Age + 35)% to 100%
2%

Total votes: 109

Topic Author
LazyNihilist

What is the percentage of Bonds in your Portfolio?

Post by LazyNihilist »

What is the percentage of Bonds (plus Fixed Income and equivalent) in your Total Portfolio relative to your age?
If you want to include your spouse/partners in the poll please use the average of your age.

This is a variation on this poll http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=110856.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
zebrafish

Re: What is the percentage of Bonds in your Portfolio?

Post by zebrafish »

That depends on whether I calculate my mortgage as a negative bond

Too bad we don't have the pizza-eating emoticon here :D
Topic Author
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

zebrafish wrote:That depends on whether I calculate my mortgage as a negative bond

Too bad we don't have the pizza-eating emoticon here :D

Not sure if you should count mortgage as part of your Portfolio. I would leave it out.

:wink:
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Clivus1

Post by Clivus1 »

I'm 40 with an all stock portfolio. I've never owned a bond. I'm thinking of adding some when the new Vanguard international bond ETF debuts.

Timing the market may be impossible, but 1% yields provide little incentive for me to move into bonds.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Which bound is inclusive, the lower or upper bound?
ThePrune

Post by ThePrune »

Doubtless we've all read countless opinions on how to adjust our asset allocation as we age. In the spirit of sharing something entirely different on this topic, here is a quote from the Updated and Revised 2013 edition of Prof. Moshe Milevsky's book Are You A Stock or a Bond? (It's a great book):
Moshe Milvsky wrote:First of all, the age-old general rule that you should allocate your numerical age value to bonds - or 100 minus your age value to stocks - is somewhat meaningless at best, and wrong at worst. Even if you revise the number from 100 to 110 or 120 it certainly doesn't capture the essence or risk classification of your job. For some occupations and time points in your life the optimal allocation to equities might be greater that 100 minus age, and in other cases it might be lower. Your age value doesn't contain enough information to determine a suitable asset allocation. (page 100)
Prof. Milevsky presents the following numerical example (data taken from the publication Portfolio Choice and Mortality-Contingent Claims: The General HARA Case by Huang Huaxiong and Moshe Milevsky):

Current Annual Income: $100,000 per year
Tenured Professor: 280% equity allocation (leveraged!)
Bankruptcy Lawyer: 170% equity allocation (leveraged!)
Mechanical Engineer: 125% equity allocation (leveraged!)
Investment Banker: 60% equity allocation

Prof. Milevsky practices what he preaches! As a tenured professor of finance at York University (Toronto), he has a 200% equity allocation (i.e. he's leveraged 2 to 1).

All this certainly presents a new way of thinking about pre-retirement asset allcoations, doesn't it!
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

ThePrune wrote:Doubtless we've all read countless opinions on how to adjust our asset allocation as we age. In the spirit of sharing something entirely different on this topic, here is a quote from the Updated and Revised 2013 edition of Prof. Moshe Milevsky's book Are You A Stock or a Bond? (It's a great book):
Moshe Milvsky wrote:First of all, the age-old general rule that you should allocate your numerical age value to bonds - or 100 minus your age value to stocks - is somewhat meaningless at best, and wrong at worst. Even if you revise the number from 100 to 110 or 120 it certainly doesn't capture the essence or risk classification of your job. For some occupations and time points in your life the optimal allocation to equities might be greater that 100 minus age, and in other cases it might be lower. Your age value doesn't contain enough information to determine a suitable asset allocation. (page 100)
Prof. Milevsky presents the following numerical example (data taken from the publication Portfolio Choice and Mortality-Contingent Claims: The General HARA Case by Huang Huaxiong and Moshe Milevsky):

Current Annual Income: $100,000 per year
Tenured Professor: 280% equity allocation (leveraged!)
Bankruptcy Lawyer: 170% equity allocation (leveraged!)
Mechanical Engineer: 125% equity allocation (leveraged!)
Investment Banker: 60% equity allocation

Prof. Milevsky practices what he preaches! As a tenured professor of finance at York University (Toronto), he has a 200% equity allocation (i.e. he's leveraged 2 to 1).

All this certainly presents a new way of thinking about pre-retirement asset allcoations, doesn't it!
Was he at 200% in 2007? :)
TRC

Post by TRC »

This poll is confusing. I don't understand the selections. We hold our age in bonds (35%).
iceport

Post by iceport »

TRC wrote:This poll is confusing. I don't understand the selections. We hold our age in bonds (35%).
Looks like you'd select the middle option (5th one down).

--Pete
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I happen to be (age+10)% in fixed income (less than half of that in bond funds). I don't use an age-based rule directly, but prefer the "ability, willingness and need to take risk" framework. My need to take risk dictates a lower allocation to equities than "age in bonds" or anything lower than that. My target allocation to fixed income has not changed in the last five years.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

TRC wrote:This poll is confusing. I don't understand the selections. We hold our age in bonds (35%).
That would be (Age + 0)%, which would fall in the range of (Age - 05)% to (Age + 05)%.

I don't hold an aged-based selection, but rather a strategy-based one. While one could express my bond percentage in terms of my age, that isn't how it's defined.

Brian
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Due to uncertain as to exactly what should count as "bonds," I chose to answer a slightly different question: what is the percentage of low-volatility assets in my portfolio. That is, I lumped nominal bonds, TIPS, series I savings bonds, cash-like accounts, and TIAA Traditional to get my total. Or to put it another way, I used (100% - stocks).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I am age-34 in bonds (10% at age 44) and will probably move into the top category in this poll next year. (Really, I should already be there, as I have the risk of 100% stock with my overweight in value, small-cap, and emerging markets.)
Wiki David Grabiner
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

nisiprius wrote:Due to uncertain as to exactly what should count as "bonds," I chose to answer a slightly different question: what is the percentage of low-volatility assets in my portfolio. That is, I lumped nominal bonds, TIPS, series I savings bonds, cash-like accounts, and TIAA Traditional to get my total. Or to put it another way, I used (100% - stocks).
When I responded, "plus Fixed Income and equivalent" was included in the OP, so like you, I included all of my CDs, I Bonds, cash, etc., since my definition of "fixed income" includes all the types of assets you and I have mentioned (hence my note that less than half of my fixed income is in bond funds). Perhaps a more universally agreed upon term (academically) would be "debt obligations" (see this Wiki article).

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

Age +5 in bonds due to need/willingness/ability to take risks in early retirement.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca