Is this a wash sale?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
candj

Is this a wash sale?

Post by candj »

Selling total international stock for a loss and buying FTSE all world ex usa. They do have different benchmarks.
FillorKill

Re: Is this a wash sale?

Post by FillorKill »

If it is I'm in big trouble. :D
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I would suggest going to Yahoo Finance (or some equivalent) and entering in the two MF symbols. Check the top 10 holdings of the two - unless they are a very close match you are probably OK.
ThePrune

Post by ThePrune »

If you've read the Wash Sale section of IRS Publication 550 , you've seen that there is not clear guidance for index mutual funds. The article Substantially Identical Securites at Fairmark.com has one "smart person's" opinion on your question.

Since your mutual funds follow slightly different benchmark indices, I'd suggest you do not have a wash sale.
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

As far as we know, no person has ever had a loss disallowed by the IRS for selling a mutual fund & purchasing a different mutual fund. If it happened to you, you would be the first, and you would get to be a very minor Internet celebrity, which would probably more than make up for the inconvenience.
docneil88

Post by docneil88 »

SSSS wrote:As far as we know, no person has ever had a loss disallowed by the IRS for selling a mutual fund & purchasing a different mutual fund. If it happened to you, you would be the first, and you would get to be a very minor Internet celebrity, which would probably more than make up for the inconvenience.
SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF) & VFINX (Vanguard's S&P 500 fund) are different index funds from different fund companies, but with the same benchmark. Have there really been no wash sales disallowed between these funds or between other different index funds with the exact same benchmark?
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

docneil88 wrote:
SSSS wrote:As far as we know, no person has ever had a loss disallowed by the IRS for selling a mutual fund & purchasing a different mutual fund. If it happened to you, you would be the first, and you would get to be a very minor Internet celebrity, which would probably more than make up for the inconvenience.
SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF) & VFINX (Vanguard's S&P 500 fund) are different index funds from different fund companies, but with the same benchmark. Have there really been no wash sales disallowed between these funds or between other different index funds with the exact same benchmark?
As far as we know, no, the IRS has never disallowed a loss in such a case. First, the IRS doesn't know what was bought and only has a vague idea of what was sold (inferred from the 1099R), second, there's nobody at the IRS whose job it is to look up with index various funds track. They rely on voluntary interpretation & self-reporting of wash sales.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Not even close to a wash, IMO.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

docneil88 wrote:SPY (SPDR S&P 500 ETF) & VFINX (Vanguard's S&P 500 fund) are different index funds from different fund companies, but with the same benchmark. Have there really been no wash sales disallowed between these funds or between other different index funds with the exact same benchmark?
No one has found any cases. And people have looked pretty hard.

People spend and inordinate amount of time worrying about wash sales.

Brian