Old Brandy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jay69

Old Brandy

Post by Jay69 »

Found a bottle of un opened Brandy that my wife brought back from Greace in 1987, its a bottle of Cambas Brandy no year on the bottle and or the box. She brought it home for her father who is a brandy man, must not have been that good :) She brought home a suit case of Ouzo as well, maybe he forgot about the brandy!

The bottle does have some floaties in it, I'm thinking its bad/skunk thoughts?

I'm not a brandy person myself, not that I won't give it a go :wink: From what I understand Brandy would not age anymore after its been bottled.

Is this destin for the trash can?
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
paulsiu

Re: Old Brandy

Post by paulsiu »

Floaters? Most brandy tend to be fairly high in alcohol content, so I doubt anything could be living in it. Why not open it up and try it. It won't age, but it won't go bad either. If the seal was poor, the alcohol may evaporate away.

Paul
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

paulsiu wrote:Floaters? Most brandy tend to be fairly high in alcohol content, so I doubt anything could be living in it. Why not open it up and try it. It won't age, but it won't go bad either. If the seal was poor, the alcohol may evaporate away.

Paul
Maybe floaties was a bad word, how about debris :wink:

I will crack it open and take a sniff.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Jay69 wrote:The bottle does have some floaties in it, I'm thinking its bad/skunk thoughts?
Distilled spirits have high alcohol content and shouldn't really go bad if it's been sealed the whole time. However the cork may have dried up or rotted. You may be seeing bits of cork floating in the brandy. No big deal, just filter it out.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Test it on someone else first!
Doesnt have to be human?