When should my wife's SS payment come?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dm200

When should my wife's SS payment come?

Post by dm200 »

My wife has just filed to receive SS retirement benefits, based on my earnings. According to the "official" Social Security web site (as I read it), she should get the payment on the 3rd Wednesday of the month because her birthday is between the 11th and the 20th. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/calendar2013.pdf

She tells me that her letter says the 4th Wednesday and you can't believe everything that is on the internet.

Should she receive the money on the 3rs Wednesday, because her birthday is mid month, or on the 4th Wednesday because my birthday is later in the month?
BL

Re: When should my wife's SS payment come?

Post by BL »

I get mine based on my birthday and spouse based on spouse's birthday, each is based on individual's income.

From http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers ... s-are-paid
The birthday of the person on whose record you receive benefits determines your payment date. For example, if you receive benefits as a:

Retired or disabled worker: Your birthday determines your payment date;
Spouse: Your spouse's birthday determines your payment date;
Survivor: Your parent's (or spouse's) birthday determines your payment date;
Spouse, and you also receive retired or disabled worker benefits: The birthday of the worker (or spouse) who receives the payment first determines your payment date; and
Retired or disabled worker and as a Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient: Your payment date falls on the third of the month.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

BL wrote:I get mine based on my birthday and spouse based on spouse's birthday, each is based on individual's income.

From http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers ... s-are-paid
The birthday of the person on whose record you receive benefits determines your payment date. For example, if you receive benefits as a:

Retired or disabled worker: Your birthday determines your payment date;
Spouse: Your spouse's birthday determines your payment date;
Survivor: Your parent's (or spouse's) birthday determines your payment date;
Spouse, and you also receive retired or disabled worker benefits: The birthday of the worker (or spouse) who receives the payment first determines your payment date; and
Retired or disabled worker and as a Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient: Your payment date falls on the third of the month.
Thank you! That is the answer - my birthdate, since it is my record.
sport

Post by sport »

Apparently, SS is inconsistent with this. I was receiving my payment on the 3rd Wed of the month. The CR at the local SS office incorrectly told my wife she could collect a spouse benefit for a short time before her pension began. My wife's payment date would be the 2nd Wed. So, when her payment began, they moved my date to the 2nd Wed to match hers. When we discovered that she was actually not entitled to the payments, we returned the money to SS. However, my payment date remained the 2nd Wed. So, in this case, even though my wife was receiving payments as a spouse, and my payments had already started before hers, they switched my payment date to the date for my wife's birthday. If SS got this wrong, it would not be surprising, because everything they did concerning my wife's eligibility was wrong. It was also a nightmare to return the money and get a corrected 1099 for her. When you are involved with the Social Security Administration, in my experience, anything can happen.
Jeff
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Keep your fingers crossed! Maybe when they move your pay date back to the 3rd Wed, you will get TWO checks that month......... :beer
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

The OP's first SS link matches my experience as a 4th Wednesday payee (birthday between 21st and 31st). I don't know what happens when the filer's birthday is different from the earner's. I guess you take whatever SS gives you.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

I think you will find it is always on the Wednesday on, or the next one following, your birthday of the month. I marked the dates the payment showed up in my account on a calendar until the pattern became obvious.
JW
Retired at Last
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

JW Nearly Retired wrote:I think you will find it is always on the Wednesday on, or the next one following, your birthday of the month. I marked the dates the payment showed up in my account on a calendar until the pattern became obvious.
JW
That's not the case for me. Birthday is 12, SS payment date is the third Wednesday. Always has been.
Steve | Semper Fi
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

I get mine the second Wednesday of each month, as in I got my February payment yesterday.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Sbashore wrote:
JW Nearly Retired wrote:I think you will find it is always on the Wednesday on, or the next one following, your birthday of the month. I marked the dates the payment showed up in my account on a calendar until the pattern became obvious.
JW
That's not the case for me. Birthday is 12, SS payment date is the third Wednesday. Always has been.
OK, not for everyone..... my BD is 8th so 2nd Wednesday works out as I said.

What SS says is:
Schedule Of Social Security Benefit Payments 2012:
Benefits paid on: /// Birth date on:
Second Wednesday /// 1st – 10th
Third Wednesday /// 11th – 20th
Fourth Wednesday /// 21st – 31st.
Retired at Last