What the best value in anti-virus software

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Petrocelli

What the best value in anti-virus software

Post by Petrocelli »

I have been using MacAfee, but it is getting a little pricey.

Thanks in advance.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
retiredjg

Re: What the best value in anti-virus software

Post by retiredjg »

A Mac.

(Yes, you can reach through the computer and smack me up-side the head for that smarta$$ answer. :D )
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Petrocelli wrote:I have been using MacAfee, but it is getting a little pricey.

Thanks in advance.
You just have to look for the deals. I just had Webroot expire on one of my computers and they wanted $79.99 to renew. However, a few days later, Best Buy had it as one of their "Buys of the Day" for $9.99. I think you can almost always find a good anti-virus program for $39.99 or less and that often covers up to 3 computers.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Microsoft Security Essentials -- free, non-invasive, and generally "good enough" for most home users.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I bought antivirus software on ebay and had no problems with it. Link is just an idea of what's on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Norton-Ant ... 3f21f5e554
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Balance

Post by Balance »

I use AVG which is still free
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Microsoft Security Essentials.

I guess MS eventually realized it was embarrassing not to have a reliable system without depending on 3rd party tools for simple safety.

What if GM didn't include seat belts and air bags and you had to buy them from a third party? Same difference.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
leo383

Post by leo383 »

stan1 wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials -- free, non-invasive, and generally "good enough" for most home users.

+1

Unless you have some unusual security requirements, MSSE is the way to go.
stratton

Post by stratton »

...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Microsoft Security Essentials is the best IMO.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
William4u

Post by William4u »

chaz wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials is the best IMO.
Yes, definitively MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). Easily the best, IMHO.
Toons

Post by Toons »

As others have posted Microsoft Security Essentials-FREE=Value :happy

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... s-download
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I've been using MSE for the past couple of years. The price is right (zero) and it's caught and cleaned a few "infections" with ease. It's also pretty unobstrusive. I used McAfee back in the day and it was annoying in some ways.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

My AVG antivirus software is still good for another 4 years. 10-year license key.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I use AVG. I have found it to be just as good and less resource intensive than Norton or MacAfee.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I'm happy to hear that there is a good and free anti-virus choice for PC users. One of the main things I hated about using a PC is that the anti-virus program didn't play nicely with the other stuff on the computer. Half the time I had a problem, it was some kind of incompatibility involving Norton or McAfee or whatever. Additionally, whatever I used had to be replaced from the ground up every 2 or 3 years. Just a royal pain in the you know what. It seems things have gotten better in PC land since I left.

Based on the comments here, I'll recommend MSE to a friend who is in need of it. Especially the free part. :happy
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I use Avast, it is free, and it is ranked higher than Microsoft Security Essentials on any list I've seen. But MSE is good, too. I'd take either one over McAfee, that's for sure.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I use MSE -- and besides Bill Gates never shot anyone --- I think. :o
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I changed from McAfee to MSE on the advice of our computer security officer.

You will find that MSE takes less resources. (When I used McAfee, 'scan on use' cut performance in half, but you needed
to have that set. The performance hit from MSE is not nearly as much.)
jimkinny

Post by jimkinny »

I used Norton for years. Norton just seemed to grow until it was doing things that I did not need it to do.

I switched to Microsoft MSE about 2 years ago. No problems. I am not any more knowledgeable about this stuff than the average person.

For a brief period of time I had the free AVG program. I got tired of the constant attempts to get me to buy the upgrade. That is when I switched to MSE.

jim
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Thanks for your replies!
Munir

Post by Munir »

Acknowledging it's against conventional advice, I'm using both Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials with no apparent problems.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I bought a new PC with Windows 7 about one year ago. It came with MSE and it has saved me from getting hit with some pests.

Don't forget about anti-spyware programs such as Spybot S&D as well as the free version of Malwarebytes, both of which I have used to save my friend's PC several times.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

The cost of a failure in internet protection software is anything up to 1000s of times the cost of the package.

Therefore the best value AV software is the one that protects you the best.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

+1 on security essentials for being free, very decent and non-annoying (unlike norton and mcafee) but remember to run the "full scan" occasionally - it defaults to quick scan which leaves behind some threats that full scan can eliminate.
midareff

Post by midareff »

stan1 wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials -- free, non-invasive, and generally "good enough" for most home users.
+ AVG Free
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

scrabbler1 wrote:Don't forget about anti-spyware programs such as Spybot S&D as well as the free version of Malwarebytes, both of which I have used to save my friend's PC several times.
I would not go near Spybot. It was a good choice a dozen years ago. Now, it is probably at or near the bottom of the list. Malwarebytes, on the other hand, is a very good choice. And, as one person mentioned, there's no reason you couldn't run MSE for real-time protection, and keep Malwarebytes around to run regular scans.
Taboose

Post by Taboose »

I have used ESET for several years after it was given strong reviews on this board. I believe it is $80 for two years. It has worked well - no problems.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

retiredjg wrote:A Mac.

(Yes, you can reach through the computer and smack me up-side the head for that smarta$$ answer. :D )
Linux would be a more cost-effective choice.

Serious answer: Microsoft's Security Essentials is pretty good and free.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Last year my computer got several Trojans and McAfee did not do anything about it. A local computer geek cleaned up my software and advised against McAfee, suggested to keep Webroot and installed the free avast! and Malwarebytes. I have no problems since then and run them automatically and occasionally manually.
webslinger

Post by webslinger »

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for about the past year now based on the many comments made on this forum. I have been quite happy with it. It was a welcome change from commercial software such as Norton which appeared to require many more system resources to run.
Webslinger
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Any of the free ones already mentioned

Non free isn't better protection
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Thank you all again sincerely for your help. I had no idea that Microsoft had free anti-virus software.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Petrocelli wrote:Thank you all again sincerely for your help. I had no idea that Microsoft had free anti-virus software.
As you well know by now this is the place to come when you are shopping for "value" in the marketplace ,cheers :beer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

If anti-virus software looks expensive, I would also recommend trying out Ubuntu. You wouldn't need an Anti-Virus with Ubuntu. It's pretty nice.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Expensive watches, country club memberships.......

Yet you don't want to flaunt your pricey anti-virus software anymore.

Oh, the humanity.......

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
gosalukis

Post by gosalukis »

For Windows users, I always recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials and make sure it is updated regularly. It does a very good job and is not a resource hog as some of the other paid Antiviruses. On top of that, you can also get the free version of MalwareBytes and run scans occasionally. The free version does not give you runtime protection but still a very good tool. What I also suggest users is to create a non-administrator login and use the administrator login to just install and update software.
Red-y

Post by Red-y »

leo383 wrote:

+1

Unless you have some unusual security requirements, MSSE is the way to go.
+ another 1. Based on these comments, I kicked McAfee to the curb this afternoon and installed MSE. The increase in performance without McAfee is noticeable. Thanks for the tip...I was under the impression from years ago the MicroSquish security stuff sucked.
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

retiredjg wrote:A Mac.

But a very simple and helpful answer.
Exeter

Post by Exeter »

My new laptop came with Norton installed and I've read that it's difficult to really uninstall. Any suggestions for a non-geek to clean this out of my system before activating Microsoft Defender (Windows 8 version of MSE)?
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Microsoft Security Essentials Tanks Another Security Test

from Security Watch by Neil Rubenking -
Microsoft Security Essentials is free, which is great, but its protection has been getting slammed in antivirus tests in the last few months. The vast majority of antivirus products manage to pass certification with AV-Test; not Microsoft. In November and again in January Microsoft failed certification. The Microsoft product team issued a rebuttal basically stating that the test in question didn't measure their actual real-world protection. However, a new test just released by London-based Dennis Technology Labs puts Microsoft in last place, way behind all of its competition. ...

Dennis Labs has focused on eight vendors in the consumer area: AVG, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Norton, and Trend Micro. ...

The Dennis Labs accuracy test aims to measure a product's ability to "block all threats and allow all legitimate applications." Products gain points both for correctly blocking threats and for correctly leaving legitimate software alone; they also lose points for blocking legitimate software and for failing to identify malware. The best possible score is 400 points; the worst, -1000 points. With 388.5 points Norton Internet Security (2013) came close to the maximum. All the rest earned at least 300 points, except Microsoft, which took a paltry 30 points. ...

As for the heavy penalties, those kick in when the malware totally gets past all defenses, or if the system is damaged after the security product's response. Every such failure reduces the overall score by five points. With 100 samples tested, the best possible score is 300, the worst, -500.

Norton topped this list too, with 289 points, and all the rest earned at least 200 point. All but Microsoft, that is. In a rare sub-zero score, Microsoft took -70 points.
Link to article - http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/307 ... virus-test

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

I bought a new computer a couple of months ago that came with 60 days of Norton anti-virus software. A few days before the Norton software expired I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials based on recommendations here:

Microsoft Sec Essentials = Bad ??

In addtion, I also installed the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.

I used AVG on my old computer.

Mike
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
civi68

Post by civi68 »

A good site with reviews on anti-virus and other programs.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Tom_T wrote:I use Avast, it is free, and it is ranked higher than Microsoft Security Essentials on any list I've seen. But MSE is good, too. I'd take either one over McAfee, that's for sure.
We have also been using Avast, for free, for the last couple of years. I used to buy Norton, then realized it was just money down the drain.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

bobcat2 wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials Tanks Another Security Test

The only security tests that MS-SE seems to consistently "tank" is AV-Test. Whether this is an issue with MS-SE or with AV-Test is an exercise left to the reader.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Mudpuppy wrote:

The only security tests that MS-SE seems to consistently "tank" is AV-Test. Whether this is an issue with MS-SE or with AV-Test is an exercise left to the reader.
In a new test just released by London-based Dennis Technology Labs puts Microsoft in last place, way behind all of its competition. ...
from Security Watch by Neil Rubenking
Dennis Labs has focused on eight vendors in the consumer area: AVG, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Norton, and Trend Micro. ...

The Dennis Labs accuracy test aims to measure a product's ability to "block all threats and allow all legitimate applications." Products gain points both for correctly blocking threats and for correctly leaving legitimate software alone; they also lose points for blocking legitimate software and for failing to identify malware. The best possible score is 400 points; the worst, -1000 points. With 388.5 points Norton Internet Security (2013) came close to the maximum. All the rest earned at least 300 points, except Microsoft, which took a paltry 30 points. ...

As for the heavy penalties, those kick in when the malware totally gets past all defenses, or if the system is damaged after the security product's response. Every such failure reduces the overall score by five points. With 100 samples tested, the best possible score is 300, the worst, -500.

Norton topped this list too, with 289 points, and all the rest earned at least 200 point. All but Microsoft, that is. In a rare sub-zero score, Microsoft took -70 points. ...

Simon Edwards, Technical Director of Dennis Technology Labs, observed "It’s interesting to see how badly Microsoft does in the consumer and enterprise tests, particularly when noting that its products also fared poorly in the last AV-Test report. As you no doubt know Microsoft was dismissive of that test but my view is that if lots of different tests, from competing test houses that use different methodologies/approaches, reach similar conclusions then those conclusions start to be appear increasingly convincing."
BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

I used MSE for about 2 years until last month when my Windwos 7 computer got infected by a stubborn trojan named "Alureon.A" - which MSE detected but could not remove. It advised I downlod Windows Defender, create a bootable CD with it, and boot from that CD. It didn't remove the trojan either. I kept getting the blue screen of death.

I then installed Avast free, it detected and claimed to have moved the virus to its "virus chest". The blue screen problem disappeared.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
legion

Post by legion »

Install Linux if you want better security
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

bobcat2 wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:

In a new test just released by London-based Dennis Technology Labs puts Microsoft in last place, way behind all of its competition. ...
from Security Watch by Neil Rubenking
Instead of quoting from media writers, you should investigate the places that are publishing these tests. Dennis Tech Labs has previously been sponsored by none other than Symantec. And just look who came in first....

And before you respond that the test was "unsponsored", buried in the report is this line “Partner vendors contribute financially to the test in return for a preview of the results, an opportunity to challenge results before publication and the right to use award logos in marketing material.”

I'm far from a Microsoft fan-girl, but I know when to follow the money when it comes to these "independent" security tests, particularly when a program that is poorly regarded in the community ends up with top ranking.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:I used MSE for about 2 years until last month when my Windwos 7 computer got infected by a stubborn trojan named "Alureon.A" - which MSE detected but could not remove. It advised I downlod Windows Defender, create a bootable CD with it, and boot from that CD. It didn't remove the trojan either. I kept getting the blue screen of death.

I then installed Avast free, it detected and claimed to have moved the virus to its "virus chest". The blue screen problem disappeared.
Once you have malware of that level (keylogger and rootkit), it is best to reinstall, not play anti-virus roulette. This particular malware also alters the MBR to call a bootstrap routine for the malware while booting the OS, so you need to make sure to reinstall AND clean the MBR during the reinstall process.