Lower my Bond exposure?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
atDev

Lower my Bond exposure?

Post by atDev »

I am currently 30 years old and have about 20% of my portfolio in BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF).

Does anyone have any thoughts on my current exposure when considering the current low interest rates? I am considering lowering my exposure due to how low rates are (and have been) and the possibility of those rates rising.
Ben | Young Investor and Learning
Call_Me_Op

Re: Lower my Bond exposure?

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Do you have a separate emergency fund?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I guess it depends on what you do when you lower your Bond exposure. Will you raise your CD or Stable Value exposure by the same amount?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

atDev wrote:I am currently 30 years old and have about 20% of my portfolio in BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF).

Does anyone have any thoughts on my current exposure when considering the current low interest rates? I am considering lowering my exposure due to how low rates are (and have been) and the possibility of those rates rising.
I wouldn't recommend this. Stocks have higher expected returns than bonds, but you chose not to hold 100% stock, probably because you don't want the risk of a 100% stock portfolio (few investors do). If you reduce your bond exposure and buy more stocks, you will increase the risk of your portfolio.

You could also reduce your bond exposure and buy other types of fixed income, such as CD's, I-Bonds (which track inflation and can be redeemed after one year with little penalty), or a stable value fund if your 401(k) offers one. In this case, you wouldn't be changing the risk of your portfolio much, so the question is whether the new bond options have a better risk-return trade-off.
Wiki David Grabiner
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

atDev wrote:I am currently 30 years old and have about 20% of my portfolio in BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF).

If you are truly concerned about rising interest rates then the solution would be to shorten the duration of your bond fund rather than cutting the allocation. Bonds play an important role in a portfolio, both to dampen overall volatility and to provide steady income payments. Cutting this allocation does not hedge against risk, it increases it.

BND has a duration of 4.97 years which is very manageable and right in the 'intermediate' range. For ever 1% increase in interest rates, the fund will lose about 5% of the NAV. But remember that it will acquire the new bonds at higher rates and so in time will make up that loss fairly easily. It's current SEC yield is 1.64 which isn't terrible, and remember that reaching for yield often means reaching for risk. I'd say stay the course - you're bond allocation is pretty low in my mind (I'm 26 and have 30% in bonds). :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I am considering lowering my exposure due to how low rates are (and have been) and the possibility of those rates rising.
What does your IPS direct you to do in this situation?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle