How accurate is Vanguard's "Portfolio Watch" tool?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

How accurate is Vanguard's "Portfolio Watch" tool?

Post by EternalOptimist »

I have a significant portion of my Vanguard portfolio in several target retirement funds. The tool shows that I have no growth stocks in my portfolio which simply isn't true as the funds hold VTSMX. Has anyone else noticed these kinds of inconsistencies. :?:
"When nothing goes right....go left"
ddunca1944

Re: How accurate is Vanguard's "Portfolio Watch" tool?

Post by ddunca1944 »

I compare results from VG's Portfolio Analysis to the xray tool at TRP. Mostly they track - the only exception I've noticed is some difference in duration of bond funds.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Type this into the little "Google..." search box up there in the upper right: "portfolio watch sucks" and read the threads where you will find your answer.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Toons

Post by Toons »

EternalOptimist wrote:I have a significant portion of my Vanguard portfolio in several target retirement funds. The tool shows that I have no growth stocks in my portfolio which simply isn't true as the funds hold VTSMX. Has anyone else noticed these kinds of inconsistencies. :?:
Older thread you might be interested in :happy

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=786059
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Toons wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:I have a significant portion of my Vanguard portfolio in several target retirement funds. The tool shows that I have no growth stocks in my portfolio which simply isn't true as the funds hold VTSMX. Has anyone else noticed these kinds of inconsistencies. :?:
Older thread you might be interested in :happy

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=786059

YIKES :twisted:
"When nothing goes right....go left"
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

A million dollars gets you flagship; maybe a billion gets you an upgrade to a working portfolio watch tool.

Paul
dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas »

Portfolio Watch lists all of Precious Metals and Mining as domestic stock when 85%+ of the stocks in the fund are international.

As the other thread shows there are significant issues with the data.
mhc

Post by mhc »

If you have CIT's in your 401k, you are out of luck.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
digit8

Post by digit8 »

There was a point when I had my 401K with Fidelity, trying to keep track of my AA through Portfolio Watch, and for about three months it just did the Fido funds(all indexes) as "unknown". Yeesh.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

Portfolio Watch lists all of Precious Metals and Mining as domestic stock when 85%+ of the stocks in the fund are international.
Same issue with Energy and Healthcare funds. Portfolio Watch also considers these domestic funds despite significant international holdins in each. MorningStar x-ray for my international exposure is quite different than Portfolio Watch
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I utilize the raw data from Vanguard and M* and then put into my Excel model. Gives me a better look plus automatically tells me if I have to rebalance.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ