Super Bowl pools

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Super Bowl pools

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Any participants out there?

Our department does the standard 100 box grid at $5/box.
zeusrock1

Re: Super Bowl pools

Post by zeusrock1 »

Yup, same here. I got two boxes, $10 total investment :shock:

Go 49ers!
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Very poor investment option. Risk $5 and likely lose it all with a 1% chance of winning
Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 »

crowd79 wrote:Very poor investment option. Risk $5 and likely lose it all with a 1% chance of winning
It's a good investment, because it makes the game more interesting.
Mill

Post by Mill »

Kevin21 wrote:
crowd79 wrote:Very poor investment option. Risk $5 and likely lose it all with a 1% chance of winning
It's a good investment, because it makes the game more interesting.
Especially if you get some decent numbers. 3-3, 0-0, 7-7, 3-7, 0-7, 0-3, 7-3 ect.

Ive decided that 5-5 box is the worst. :x
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

With most pools paying out by quarter, chances of winning are more than 1% (before one receives what there numbers are). Expected payout, of course, is 1%.

Odds based on numbers drawn - 1994-2005 (there is a link for an app with current info) It looks like 2,2 was the worse in the article, don't know if the app with current info has come to a different conclusion based on current NFL info.

For $5, not a big deal. I'm sure everyone on this board would be critical about some aspect of how people spend/save their money.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 »

I suppose I have a decent shot at certain points. 3rd quarter looks particularly good.

1st quarter - 3,1 ; 1,9
2nd quarter - 3,8 ; 9,4
3rd quarter - 4,4 ; 6;0
Final score - 0;8 ; 9,3

If I win, I am going to try and resist buying more Ibonds --- daddy needs a refurbished mac-air!
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

Won $10,000 in $100/box pool in SB XXI in 1987. Thank heaven for George Martin safety on John Elway. This year numbers Ravens 2 Niners 1.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

I have 0 (Balt.) and 3 (SF). Good numbers; but I don't have good luck... that's why I invest in index funds
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

No Super Bowl pools, now March Madness pools….that's another story :happy
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
ks289

Post by ks289 »

pennstater2005 wrote:No Super Bowl pools, now March Madness pools….that's another story :happy
count me in.
how about a "bogleheads group" on one of the popular sports websites that runs the march madness pools?
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

In terms of gambling options, it's actually great. Total payout is 100%, the house takes nothing. Can't get that in Vegas.
dianna

Post by dianna »

I thought the SuperBowl was played on turf, not in pools?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I don't know if they do it any more, but years ago a (now deceased) friend of mine worked in the commodity pits. They had a pool, $10,000 per box, $1,000,000 to the winner of the final score, no 1099 :D

For a while, I played poker in that crowd, but after a while I figured it was just easier to mail them a check :D I was the fish; they were professionals.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
skibbi9

Post by skibbi9 »

Beantown85 wrote:
In terms of gambling options, it's actually great. Total payout is 100%, the house takes nothing. Can't get that in Vegas.
yes, before the numbers are picked your expected return is 1 for every dollar you put in (save for some customary tipping to the pool operator for organizing and facilitating). its not gambling in the sense that one side has an edge
prudent

Post by prudent »

TomatoTomahto wrote:I don't know if they do it any more, but years ago a (now deceased) friend of mine worked in the commodity pits. They had a pool, $10,000 per box, $1,000,000 to the winner of the final score, no 1099 :D

For a while, I played poker in that crowd, but after a while I figured it was just easier to mail them a check :D I was the fish; they were professionals.
No 1099, but almost certainly a CTR and/or SAR! :)

I have to wonder how they choose who is going to hold the money until the game is over. $1m in cash could seriously tempt some people to just blow town.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

prudent wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:I don't know if they do it any more, but years ago a (now deceased) friend of mine worked in the commodity pits. They had a pool, $10,000 per box, $1,000,000 to the winner of the final score, no 1099 :D

No 1099, but almost certainly a CTR and/or SAR! :)

I have to wonder how they choose who is going to hold the money until the game is over. $1m in cash could seriously tempt some people to just blow town.
These guys were accustomed to paying and receiving lots of money on the basis of a hand signal. They also understood that leaving town was at best a one way ticket, at worst...worse.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
NYBoglehead

Post by NYBoglehead »

I find myself correcting my family and friends on the word "investment" all the time. Purchasing a box in super bowl pool is an expenditure. There is a chance you could win, but it is by no means money that you set aside with the purpose of growing it for future use!