What's your usual retirement day like ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bustoff

What's your usual retirement day like ?

Post by Bustoff »

We've been retired now for a couple of years and it's great not having the job related stress. However, in all honesty, it's getting kinda boring. We take an occasional trip here and there, but it seems like we spend a lot of time in front of the TV or computer.

I was curious what other retired folks are doing on a daily basis.
sport

Re: What's your usual retirement day like ?

Post by sport »

Suggestion: Find an activity or two. It can be a hobby, a social activity, volunteering, etc. My preference would be to select something that does not have a fixed schedule, so you can particpate as much or as little as you want, whenever you want. My activity is duplicate bridge http://www.acbl.org.
Jeff
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Join your local YMCA or gym. Stay healthy and lower medical costs and socialize with your neighbors. I know a few older folks at the Y where I work out at.
John151

Post by John151 »

I'm in a similar situation, Bustoff, but I don't get bored. I find books, television, and the Internet endlessly fascinating.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Throughout my career I have exchanged my time and efforts for money. Now that I am retired, I use my time for what I want to accomplish. Each day I get only 24 hours and it must be spent by the end of that day. But I can spend it however I want, because it is now MY time. I fill each day with tasks, activities, and social interactions (organizations and church) as I desire. It seems that boredom is the result of not releasing your imagination.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have been retired from work (not life) for a couple of years. I definitely spend more time at home, doing home projects and surfing the Internet (I spend very little time with TV). I also try to stay engaged with people through church, family and prior professional associations. I think it is really important to have interaction with other people regularly. I sometimes have to take extra efforts to do that but do so because it is so important. I also do some volunteer work and plan to do more. I am still trying to figure out this retirement things.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

1. 6:00 to 7:30 AM - go to gym
2. Mornings
Mon & Tues - work at part time job
Wed - have breakfast with other retirees
Thurs - spend time at library
Fri - have coffee with friends at McDonalds
3. Afternoons - open, with maybe an hour spent reading on the Bogleheads site.
4. Evenings - during baseball season, my wife & I work at a minor league stadium.

Interspersed in this is servive on our HOA board as well as on the board of a retirement community.

During the off season, I usually take one week each month to do "work" ar our beach house.

All of the above is subject to change if a better option comes up.

Somehow we are seldom bored, and find it hard to imagine the rigors of a full time job.

Paul
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

0800 Get up. Ablutions. Read online paper.
0900 Plan rest of day
0930 Revise plan
1000 Nap
1200 Lunch
100 Wander aimlessly, then waste more time on internet
500 What's for dinner?
600 Eat
730 Jeopardy
800 Do stuff I planned to but never got around to
1100 zzzzzz

Repeat as necessary. No time for being bored!
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

A typical day goes something like this: Get up around 7:00, have breakfast with the wife, and read The Boston Globe cover to cover, beginning with the sports page. Then we take the dog out for a 30 minute or so hike in the woods at various places in town. After that I head to the gym every other day for an hour and a half workout. There's a good crew of other retirees to chat with and compare notes. On the other days I head out on my bike for a 15-25 mile ride. By now it's around 12:30 or so. I make lunch and eat in front of the computer while checking numerous sports, skiing, news, weather and investment websites. This can involve as much as 2 hours or more. Sometimes I'm researching stocks or just educating myself on a wide range of topics. I also write in my blog on occasion. After that we run our errands, go shopping, etc. By then it's time for dinner. After dinner we take the dog out again, if it's winter we go around the neighborhood; at other times we'll head out somewhere to let him run. Then it's time to settle in for the night, me to read and watch sports on the downstairs TV, while my wife and dog retreat to the bedroom where she reads and watches her shows.

Besides this typical day, I occasionally do meals-on-wheels at the local senior center. Plus we have our seasonal activities. In winter we head up to Maine every other week from Jan.-April to ski. Spring and fall we mountain bike a lot, and during the summer we head to the beach a couple of days a week if the weather is good. Often we combine biking with the beach. We also head out once a month to visit my wife's 94 year old dad, a 3 hour drive away. He still lives on his own, drives, does his own shopping, etc. But we help him with some stuff that he has a hard time doing himself, plus we give the house a good cleaning. We also travel 3 or 4 times a year for a week or so at a time. Our kids live far away, so a couple of those trips are to visit them.

The key for us is our health, something I thank God for every day. I've been retired for 8 years and have never been bored. In fact, I tell people it's like being a kid on summer vacation, only with the funds to do stuff.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

When retirement is too boring move to where your grandkids live and do homework with them, might rattle your nerves though. Our grandson lives with us, requires 6 1/2 hours attention from us every school day. Then while he is in school we relax. We love to watch him grow. He now is in accelerated math, I did LEGO robotics programming with him in 3rd grade. I am retired for 11 years, worked part time for a while, having our grandson around keeps us young. in summer we go with him about 15 times to a local Six Flag, though riding in a roller coaster was not so good. I also meet older guys for lunch a few times each month and have 50 dwarf conifers and 200 different hostas as a hobby. I taught my 9 year old to be a gardener already when he was 5.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

Bustoff wrote:it's getting kinda boring. We take an occasional trip here and there, but it seems like we spend a lot of time in front of the TV or computer.
But imagine what retirement was like before internet discussion groups, satellite TV, streaming movies, Skype, email, web surfing, etc.

Today is a golden age of retirement in comparison to how things must've been even 20 years ago.
Browser

Post by Browser »

I agree with you Bustoff. Making something out of endless free time is more work than working was. Some of us are not flaming extraverts and social butterflies who probably relish all that time to drown themselves in the company of others. I've found that a lot of the activities I enjoyed when I was working because they were "stolen pleasures" have lost their appeal now that I can do them whenever I want -- golf being the first thing that jumps to mind. I've concluded that the only way to live in retirement and not feel like the time is uselessly sifting away is probably to get out of my head and become involved in activities helping others. But, so far I haven't done it.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Mr Grumpy

Post by Mr Grumpy »

It varies. I've been about 18 month retired and realized what a life event retirement really is. Most days go fast ( volunteer with two organizations that provide some structure), but there are some days that I have trouble motivating myself to do anything. I've got a blog and made a post awhile back about retirement. Hope it helps:

http://jimamullen.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... mmies.html

If you like to write, why not start a blog? Watch out though, as the kids say, the internet can be a big time suck.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Get up, check online accounts, read online news, etc. Couple cups of coffee.
Exercise - approx 45 min.
Shower
Eat Breakfast or lunch
By this time, it's noon.
Some days - volunteer work.
Other days - Try to accomplish something - remodeling project, getting rid of junk, etc. This is where motivation is important*
Some days - cook dinner.
After dinner, a few favorite TV shows per week.
Reading

* Q. How many retirees does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one, but it takes all day.
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

I've got a long ways to go till retirement, but I can't imagine just not working or doing a significant amount of volunteer work. I would drive myself crazy. If I don't have something to do to help me manage my time, I turn into a "meh, I'll just do it tomorrow" kind of guy :? I'm hoping when we retire in 25 years we'll be able to travel quite a bit, maybe go on some extended vacations around different parts of the country.
Browser

Post by Browser »

One of the most successful retirements I personally know about is the 95 year-old father of a friend of mine. He exercises every day, walks a mile rain or shine, makes his rounds visiting friends and folks he knows who need a little help, has a regular daily schedule for meals, getting dressed, getting out of his apartment. He is an ex-military guy; a colonel in the Air Force. I think that's what it takes: the discipline and sense of duty he's had all his lifetime. No sitting around in his pajamas watching TV for him. Sometimes, I stay in my pajamas all day long watching TV and messing around on the computer. I go shopping for groceries when I open the fridge and find spoiled milk and a couple out of date eggs. Chances I'll live to 95? Not that good probably. I shoulda been in the Army....
four7s

Post by four7s »

From the BBC series "As Time Goes By":
Lionel is retired and when asked 'what on earth do you do all day?' he replies, ' Very little, slowly'
khh

Post by khh »

obgraham wrote:0800 Get up. Ablutions. Read online paper.
0900 Plan rest of day
0930 Revise plan
1000 Nap
1200 Lunch
100 Wander aimlessly, then waste more time on internet
500 What's for dinner?
600 Eat
730 Jeopardy
800 Do stuff I planned to but never got around to
1100 zzzzzz

Repeat as necessary. No time for being bored!
Pretty much my day, except it starts 4 hours later:)
RebusCannébus

Post by RebusCannébus »

Funny you should ask. I don't have a "usual"retirement day, since today is my very first, after 28 years with a large telecomm company.
  • Got up. Slowly.
  • Made coffee and breakfast
  • Richarded around on Facebook, exchanging good-natured insults with Ravens fans. And changing my current employer information.
  • Installed Turbo Tax and started 2012 return
  • Cleaned kitchen with help of grenades
  • Drove dogs to local park. Walked for an hour amid redwoods, oak, and pine. Paused to hear and appreciate red tail hawk and mourning dove.
  • Lunch and a nap.
  • Decided that I needed a six-month soak period before a more productive regimen takes shape. During the soak period I will focus on extreme idleness, carrying the doing of nothing to extremes of repugnant refinement
The intellectual, social/community, spiritual, and physical goals are all under consideration and will come. Just not today.
Peter
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

This is my first winter in retirement. We live in Minnesota and have not taken a winter vacation yet because my wife is still working part time. Winter has been a little less structured because my regular daily routines include running or biking and I don't bike in the winter. A usual retirement day includes:
Reading most sections of the newpaper.
Guitar practice - most days an hour or so
French Study (I'm taking converational French one day per week)
Exercise - running or biking
Volunteering (part time 3 days per week) - I repair bicycles to be given away to those in need.
Some time on the computer - 1-2 hours is not unusual
Reading fiction - from 1/2 hour to 3 hours depending on how good the book is.
An hour to 2 hours TV (either Netflix or streaming with Hulu)
At least a hour a week doing genealogical research.

In the summers I add golf, fishing, and some gardening to this mix. (Cabin maintenance also seems to eat up a fair amount of time.)

In all, I'm busy enough although I could be busier. I recognize that I am responsible for how I spend my time. I am also well aware of the adage that "if you don't plan to do something you are likely to do nothing."
Browser

Post by Browser »

During my worklife, I attended career planning workshops from time-to-time to see if I could discover what I was best suited for (I knew it wasn't what I was currently doing). One of the standard exercises is to brainstorm what you would do with yourself if you had the freedom to do what you most liked doing, not what you have to do to make a living. I always came up with "nothing" as the answer -- literally Nothing. Now that I do have the freedom to do what I want, I'm mostly doing nothing. So I guess those career workshops were actually pretty accurate.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Depends on period of my life during the retirement years.

The first 13 years of my retirement, my spouse was still working; year 14, both retired; year 15, spouse deceased.

So, period 1, I spent lots of time organizing free time and cruises. Period 2, lots of time figuring out how to spend joint lives.

Period 3, late to bed and late to rise. I don't have a TV.:
10 - coffee, newspaper, walk or other exercise
12 - mess with investments, chores
2 - big lunch
3- nap
5- read and chat
7 - snack
8 - dance or concerts or lectures
10 - read and internet stuff, like this forum
midnight - to bed.
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

Gardening occupies a lot of my time. Also doing volunteer work, but that only averages a few hours each week. I feel good if I spend 2 or 3 hours each day being 'productive'.

I honestly don't know how I ever managed to hold a full time job and also have a life. Retirement is great.
dewey

Post by dewey »

Each day varies in some ways while some elements are almost daily.

All times are approximate...

8--Usually up by then. Spend time on the computer reading the news, sports, e-mails, doing some business items as needed. Make any phone calls.

10--Usually go to the gym for an hour or more. Other days I walk an hour.

11:30--shower then eat or eat then shower.

12:30--chores, e.g. vacuum (wife still works) or run errands.

Early to mid afternoon, read in my lounge chair. That often brings on a nap. I sometimes meditate as well.

Late afternoon, begin dinner preparation (I've always been the cook).

When my wife comes home, we have a glass of wine and catch up on things. Then have dinner. Usually there'a a TV program or two we like, or maybe I'll watch a sports event. The TV is never on during the day.

All the above can be modified as I choose--I'm the boss of me.

We belong to a four couple dinner discussion group that meets every few months. First Monday each month I have a morning coffee with a group of people who used to be on a community service Board together once upon a time. During the election season I volunteered doing phoning and door knocking for the winner. We go out to eat once a week normally. We entertain occasionally and also get entertained by others. Tuesday evenings we Skype with my sister and her husband over a glass of wine. We're west coast/they're east coast. Regular skype with our daughter and granddaughter in Costa Rica. We do some travel. I look after our cars and keep them cleaned and shined--which I enjoy and have more time to do now. We go to an occasional movie. Tonight we had tickets to the Lewis Black show--hilarious. Last week we went to a play. Lots and lots to do--never bored. I value the luxury of time. And I have as much of it now as anyone --priceless.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Retiree's wife: What are you going to do today?
Retiree: Nothing.
R. Wife: But that's what you did yesterday!
Retiree: Yes, but I didn't finish.

Retirement has been the best years of my life. Find what suits you, and do that. If it is work related, go ahead, but don't expect me to join you there.

Using both hands on one 20# dumbell, I felt good after doing some lifting exercises this morning.
It is so warm and sunny that almost all of the snow has melted, so I picked up litter today, about a grocery bag full per mile, on my 4 mile walk on my county road. I like the lack of litter, and I saw elk tracks in the mud next to the road.
I enjoyed preparing my lunch and supper today. There were good ingredients and tasty results.
I liked be able to take a nap after lunch.
I liked my reading time while laying in a recliner.
I worked on some chores at a leisurely pace. It felt good to not have to hurry to finish them.
I had time to research some travel plans on the internet.
Nothing was done today that I can brag about, but I had a good time.
We have some winter escape travel coming up, and I have some extensive backpacking trips planned so the future looks good too.
Stuart01

Post by Stuart01 »

My eight years of retirement has been quite busy and enjoyable. I attribute this to good fortune in my choice of spouse and having good relatives and friends; continued good health; my cultivation of hobbies, including country (fruit) wine making, extensive reading (fiction and nonfiction based upon a desire to learn new things), golf, and home improvement projects; a favorable financial situation (thanks fellow Bogleheads!!); and my involvement in civic service, e.g. the Lions Club and serving on the board of a local charity. Also like to travel and usually take our RV on several trips in the summer to see the sights and visit relatives and to Florida for some of the winter. Daily activities of course, depend upon where I am and what is going on at the moment, but generally do not involve much TV.

Btw, there are a lot of pretty good books on retirement planning that go beyond the financial aspects. I found them helpful in planning my retirement and making the transition from what was a rewarding working life in public service to spending much of my life at home. At this point, I have no desire, time, or interest in returning to work.

Best wishes to all for a happy retirement.
soaring

Post by soaring »

Try the link below. Enter your own city and likely there will be hundreds of volunteer opportunities and you might find one that fits the bill for YOU.
http://www.volunteermatch.org/

First let me say we find the same issues you mention but after ten yrs retired I haven't become bored like my spouse. But mostly we find things such as a ride in the slow traffic times like Sunday morning and we ride and see dozens and dozens of horse ranches. We found a Saturday market for fresh goods with 75-100 vendors about 50 miles away. We travel there and lunch somewhere different on the way back. We walk about 2-3 miles 5 days a week. Work in our 1/2 acre private back yard with flowers, shrubs, etc. Read, cook, etc.

I've come to understand my spouse feelings that something different is needed very often. So every few hours we might watch something on tv for several hours, or the computer, or the yard...but we change every few hours. And we seek somewhere to go once or twice a week within a few hours drive for half to three quarters of the day.

I mention these examples to entice you to give the link a try. Also spend some serious time thinking about what you enjoy and seek those directions along with others to spread your time. Remember when you worked all those hours on serious business..well spend some focused time with this project and you might be surprised.

A neighbor has volunteered for 11 yrs at a local non-profit live theatre next to our local museum. They have plays about every six weeks. While one play is performing in the evening he and about 4 other volunteers work during the day with one paid staff building the stage sets for the next play. They have more professional building equip in one place than I've ever seen. Now that isn't my cup of tea but I was so surprised and the size of the "back-room" operation when I worked with him.

Last year at the link above I found a non-profit international wild life park about a hundred miles away building a new park in my area to relocate their wild animals. They needed help at the new location for about a year.

We are not so much into socializing so we need to find other avenues to occupy our time. If you enjoy socializing then try a few local clubs, like mentioned above, for card games, etc. Also found a County library volunteer position just three miles from me.

good luck
Desiderata
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I enjoy retirement so much that I'm looking for part time work.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

We took up bicycling riding again after a lapse of 30 years, and on most days spend 1-2 hours riding bikes. Good health benefit and gets us out of the house. DW reads a lot and I also started reading novels again after letting that activity largely go by the wayside during my working years. We also have a very well maintained house. I see houses on our bike rides that have peeling trim paint that I think must belong to non-retirees! For eight years we have a couple of small trailers and toured the west on many trips.

Finally, my best spent time is the hour a day reading stuff on this forum. Thanks to all the very smart people for keeping me entertained and educated!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

This has been one of the most enjoyable posts i have read on BH. So much to agree with, peruse and laugh about. My day is spent much like a combo plan of most other folks who have posted. I would add a particular kudo to Browser for his love of doing "nothing". I had no idea how much i would enjoy that wonderful state of mind. "Bored?" Yes on occasion. But that is such an odd emotion for me i actually find it enthralling. I would add one aspect that i find compelling and that is throughout my life i have typically woken up in the very early mornings and started to review all the "relevant" problems that needed my attention the next day. Its quiet and i can concentrate and write down a better plan. In my working life that loss of sleep always came with a price during the following day and i knew it. Now i simply relish my late night problem solving realizing i dont have to hit the clock anymore.
Great post. Thanks Bustoff.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I retired about 8 months ago and I HATE it. I worked for 58 years and can't think of a dozen days that I did not look forward to going to work.
I retired so that some young person who really needed a job could take my place.
I have never watched much TV, so I spend 8 to 10 hours a day on my computer. I am looking for some charitable activity to keep me busy and am having very little luck with that. I will get it fixed some day. :happy
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
robjer

Post by robjer »

I try to get up early and do something boring so the time goes slowly. Ha!
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I'm only 30, but I'm very much enjoying this thread.

As a kid, I loved visiting my retired grandparents. One set lived down the block, and one set lived 2 hours away on a small ranch.

My retirement plans for my wife and me include:
Time spent with kids/grandkids
Time spent with dog/s
Volunteering
Exercising
Hunting
Socializing
Traveling
dewey

Post by dewey »

I'm reminded that Bertrand Russell once said that enjoying spending time doing nothing is never time wasted.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
khollister

Post by khollister »

I just retired last week ( :beer ) so I can't yet speak from personal experience, but I can offer what I have observed and what went into my decision to retire early at 58.

I think the key is having a passion for hobbies/causes that you can devote your newfound free time to pursuing. In my case, I am a photographer (over 35 years), musician, woodworker and shooter, so I have plenty to occupy me. We are also doing a complete kitchen remodel and I am looking forward to cooking more, and we have an Airstream trailer that we plan to travel with more often. Also starting to hit the gym regularly to drop some weight and get in better health

My personal theory is the folks that struggle with retirement are the ones whose lives were defined by their job/career. I know a lot of folks at my previous job that work, play a little golf and go to some parties, but have no interests they are itching to pursue further. Those are the folks that don't handle retirement well in my opinion.

I can't imagine retirement if my only activities were going to the gym, preparing meals, reading, watching TV and traveling. I do all of those, but it is ultimately the creative pursuits that fulfill me.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

NAVigator wrote:Throughout my career I have exchanged my time and efforts for money. Now that I am retired, I use my time for what I want to accomplish. Each day I get only 24 hours and it must be spent by the end of that day. But I can spend it however I want, because it is now MY time. I fill each day with tasks, activities, and social interactions (organizations and church) as I desire. It seems that boredom is the result of not releasing your imagination.

Jerry
I like this description of retirement and in many ways it describes my own. It's not what the activities are, but that they are what one wants to be doing and finds most important to do.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
ginyah

Post by ginyah »

Duplicate Bridge, taiqi, two literary groups, travel, grandchildren, reading, tv, internet, dinner and movies, cooking, shoveling snow,politics, serving as board member for community organizations, shopping, etc. Rarely do I get bored but it does happen on occasion - but that happened when I was working also. Every now and then I toy with the idea of volunteer work but frankly I don't want to be tied to a schedule. I think that retirement is what you make it. My work was never my life but more a means to afford a life I wanted so not having to work anymore is pretty nice.
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

I am surprised no one here has mentioned joining a service organization like the Elks, Moose, Eagles or a veterans organization like an American Legion or VFW Post. In many retirement areas these organizations have homes that are open all day, have evening social affairs and are usually supporting at least 4 other charities such as Habitat For Humanity, tutors or mentors for CIS (Communities in Schools), Friday Backpack School Food Program etc. Many schools, Sheriff 'Depts, community colleges, libraries and social service agencies come to these organizations looking for people to assist their programs. These are not only places to find a golf partner but are also places to have dinner with new, different people with different hobbies but also a place get involved with other social service agencies....Don't watch the Super Bowl alone, go watch it with some friends!...Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
imperialman67

Post by imperialman67 »

khollister wrote:I just retired last week ( :beer ) so I can't yet speak from personal experience, but I can offer what I have observed and what went into my decision to retire early at 58.

I think the key is having a passion for hobbies/causes that you can devote your newfound free time to pursuing.

I can't imagine retirement if my only activities were going to the gym, preparing meals, reading, watching TV and traveling. I do all of those, but it is ultimately the creative pursuits that fulfill me.
Very good advice, thank you. And as a 56 year old that is looking forward to retirement hopefully sooner ,rather than later, I am envious that you were able to retire at 58 :happy
I am lucky, (or unlucky) enough to have an old car hobby that will keep me as busy as I wish to be once I do retire :wink:
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

I would like to volunteer at the local homeless shelter and be a homework tutor for the kids.
Browser

Post by Browser »

This is a great thread. Very interesting to share days in the lives of fellow retired folks. Thanks for starting it Bustoff. :beer
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

In retirement you confront the person you are rather then then one the company wanted.

I'm pretty happy doing things that don't involve a lot of social interaction, though I need a wee bit of that too. Here are some of my activities in retirement:

exercise - I run a lot and had been doing that for years before retiring. I take runs in the hills and do about 20+ miles/week. 8 miles maximum per run. Recently I've added hikes between run days. Sometimes DW and I get out and take a 5 miles hike.

gardening - pruning, planting, weeding. Doing a little at a time to spare the back.

reading - fiction and non-fiction. I average about 2 fiction novels per month.

painting - I go out and do some outdoor oil painting (plein air). This was after doing a lot of drawing. Took some classes at the JC. It is an activity that requires a lot of patience with yourself. You have to do many, many drawings and paintings to begin to see results. Easy to get discouraged.

investments - I do a lot of Excel work. I'd like to think this is a bit creative while staying sensible.

On the social side, I meet a lot of people in the park where I run and have had some interesting conversations. Also I meet up at various locations for plein air painting sessions with a painting group that is very loosely organized.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

We've been retired now for a couple of years and it's great not having the job related stress. However, in all honesty, it's getting kinda boring. We take an occasional trip here and there, but it seems like we spend a lot of time in front of the TV or computer.
That is a danger. Make yourself turn off the TV and the computer. Nature abhores a vacuum. You will then find something better to do.

What I do:

Read books.

Work out at the gym

Have regular weekly meetings with the most interesting people I know. I have several informal discussion groups. We started out in coffee shops, but have now switched to our homes. You have to find the right people. You need good listeners. One person who interrupts and dominates can ruin the whole thing. In one group we use a timer. There are 4 of us. Each person has a 10 minute period in which they talk and everyone else listens. The person can talk about whatever comes to mind. No one else can say a word. Then we have a 5 minute open discussion of what was just said. Then the next person talks uninterupted for 10 minutes. This may sound odd, but it often yields fascinating results. We have been enjoying this group for over a year.

I do volunteer work teaching refugees English. You need to find volunteer work that is fun, that shows results, that involves work with motivated people. Lots of volunteer work I tried was a waste of time. Keep looking until you find something you like.

Also, I spend too much time in front of the computer, and watch Netflix movies on TV.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I would like to volunteer at the local homeless shelter and be a homework tutor for the kids.
I tried both of those. I like working with the refugees better. The refugees are very motivated, hard working, interesting people and very greatful.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Earlier in this thread I had a little fun mocking myself in retirement.

Reality is this: I spent my whole working life as a physician, doing the things I was trained to do. I was fortunate enough in my line of work to deal with thousands of folks having their babies, and I truly enjoyed it. In my office I talked to people all day long, either my staff, colleagues, or patients. When the time came, I was ready to quit, and found it very easy.

Now I enjoy the fact that I can read at my own pace, talk to and occasionally listen to my wife and family, and mercifully, not have to always be somewhere or some place. I threw out the beeper, and I still despise the cell phone. No interest in Facebook or Twitter. The opportunity to learn about other topics of interest is immensely rewarding, and made so much easier by the Internet. So I got my Instrument Pilot rating, learned a whole lot about some music topics and studied history. We like to travel to odd places, both within and outside the US -- arranging that and deciding on where to go occupies a lot of time.

And since I could, I put my skills to use in medical mission trips, over a dozen of them. Extremely rewarding, no bureaucracies involved, and took me to parts of the world where tourists never go (Niger, anyone?)

My point: after doing all the activities you might have bypassed in your working days, and reserving time for exercise and trying to stay healthy, it's my opinion that a person who cannot find things to do in retirement has simply mismanaged his/her life. And yes, I know many of my colleagues like that.

I think that 95 year old codger a few posts back probably has the right approach.
graveday

Post by graveday »

I haven't read the thread, but I think I learned this here.

What did you do today?

Nothing.

That's what you did yesterday.

Yeah, but I wasn't done.

Seriously, I now have time to volunteer, developed an avocation, winemaking, I could not do before, and love having to answer to no one I don't care to answer to.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Last edited by thebogledude on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dewey

Post by dewey »

khollister wrote:I just retired last week ( :beer ) so I can't yet speak from personal experience, but I can offer what I have observed and what went into my decision to retire early at 58.

I think the key is having a passion for hobbies/causes that you can devote your newfound free time to pursuing. In my case, I am a photographer (over 35 years), musician, woodworker and shooter, so I have plenty to occupy me. We are also doing a complete kitchen remodel and I am looking forward to cooking more, and we have an Airstream trailer that we plan to travel with more often. Also starting to hit the gym regularly to drop some weight and get in better health

My personal theory is the folks that struggle with retirement are the ones whose lives were defined by their job/career. I know a lot of folks at my previous job that work, play a little golf and go to some parties, but have no interests they are itching to pursue further. Those are the folks that don't handle retirement well in my opinion.

I failed to mention in my earlier post--I'm working on a book--my second. I guess that counts as a creative pursuit.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

[the order may vary based on the day, but this is the general idea, at least for now]

Get up.
Have coffee.
Take stupid blasted drugs.
Read 3 hrs of email from multiple on-line international dental forums.
Mess around with my plants and stuff.
Spend a bit of time regarding finances.
Read an hr or 2 of Boglehead stuff.
Take the stupid blasted drugs that I forgot to take after my coffee. ;)
Get errands done relating to getting my license re-instated.
Get errands done relating to renting out my dental office.
Read another couple hrs of dental related emails.
Read more boglehead stuff
See various medicos (depending on day)
Go for a dog walk.
Have dinner with family.
More time on-line
Watch Daily Show and Colbert Report.
Take more blasted drugs.
Sleep.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

I will be taking early retirement later this year.

One of the things I dread is being bored* so I have made a very long list of things to do including (possibly) going back to university to do some further study as well as some more volunteer work. I have also agreed a transitional arrangement through to the end of 2014 with my firm - in exchange for being available to help with ad-hoc issues (for which I will ge paid, though not very much), I get to keep my office, secretarial and tech support etc.

* my wife, parents and siblings are all predicting that I will go back to work out of boredom. Sadly, I have not been able to persuade any of them to put money on the proposition.