Asset protection - what do you do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jon-nyc

Asset protection - what do you do?

Post by jon-nyc »

I'll soon be updating my estate plan, and thought that while I do this I should at least investigate asset protection methods.

Other than an umbrella policy, what do people here do?

I'm thinking of protecting assets from creditors - specifically lawsuits. I don't have any special reason to be concerned, but it strikes me as a very small risk but with potentially large downside, especially since I'll be retiring soon and will quit adding to the nest egg.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Asset protection - what do you do?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) (legal issues).

Also, wiki article link: Asset protection
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Umbrella policy, no pit bulls, salt my walk, and don't give legal advice.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

You should consult a lawyer. To the extent that there is anything else you might do, my thought is that it would largely be state-specific.

Good luck,

JT
Topic Author
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

Yes, that's in process. The question here was what others do, not what I should do.
ladfamily

Post by ladfamily »

There is no real asset protection. Are you a small business owner? No matter what, a good lawyer can pierce any shield you put up. I have tried this before, the only real way you can do this is by transferring all funds to off shore accounts that don't respond to US laws like ST.Kitts etc. Beyond that, if money or assets sit in US you can be assured you will loose. Don't waste money on lawyers. Its easy to break corporate shields, if you took even one penny out for personal use from corporate accounts you will loose in a lawsuit.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

$6M/$30M professional liability and substantial umbrella. And I live a careful life.
Topic Author
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Umbrella policy, no pit bulls, salt my walk, and don't give legal advice.

Seems like a good start, the wiki also suggests avoiding barroom brawls. But before I accept such a lifestyle curtailment, I thought I'd at least investigate irrevocable trusts. :-)
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Umbrella policy, no pit bulls, salt my walk, and don't give legal advice.
Don't forget taking advantage of Homestead, if your state offers it.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
afan

Post by afan »

You can certainly protect your personal assets from business liability by using limited liability corporations. Again, something for which you need lawyers. Professional liability insurance for your work. Umbrella for everything else. In many states titling the house as tenants by the entirety protects it from the debts of either spouse alone. Depending on your state, retirement accounts, including IRAs may be protected. Same for life insurance policies. All depends on your state, so you need to review this with your attorney. Most who are expert in estate planning also will know their way these issues. However, some attorneys with broader practices may be prepared to do a simple will, but not to guide you through the rest. Depending on your situation, you may need an accountant as well
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Almost all my money is in retirement accounts which is protected from lawsuits and judgements in my state. Have maxed out auto insurance and am umbrella policy as well.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jon-nyc wrote:Yes, that's in process. The question here was what others do, not what I should do.
Don't slander someone, no libel either. As much as you might like dogs - no german shepards, doberman, pitbull, husky, exotic wolve cross-breeds, no malamute. If you own firearms - keep them locked in a safe with a lock on the trigger, keep the ammo somewhere else.
Umbrella policy + liability insurance 2x in excess of assets. Fully fund tax-deferred retirement funds - draw from those last, hard to pierce the veil of retirement savings, much easier to access taxable/tax-free accounts.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

ladfamily wrote:There is no real asset protection. Are you a small business owner? No matter what, a good lawyer can pierce any shield you put up. I have tried this before, the only real way you can do this is by transferring all funds to off shore accounts that don't respond to US laws like ST.Kitts etc. Beyond that, if money or assets sit in US you can be assured you will loose. Don't waste money on lawyers. Its easy to break corporate shields, if you took even one penny out for personal use from corporate accounts you will loose in a lawsuit.
Buy gold coins and diamonds, bury them in a safe location - good luck finding it and good luck taking it. :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

Go to apbook.com
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Other than umbrella policy the only concrete thing I will do is leave my megacorp 401k right where it is in retirement. Won't roll it over to an IRA where I understand it is far more exposed to lawsuits (I hope that's true).
The other thing I've thought a little about is moving away from where we currently live. Our freeways are heavily populated with high income executives whose survivors could justify massive claims. But probably the good weather here is going to trump that.
JW
Retired at Last
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

JW Nearly Retired wrote:Other than umbrella policy the only concrete thing I will do is leave my megacorp 401k right where it is in retirement. Won't roll it over to an IRA where I understand it is far more exposed to lawsuits (I hope that's true).
My understanding is that this is not true. The protection has been extended to roll-over IRAs.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Call_Me_Op wrote:
JW Nearly Retired wrote:Other than umbrella policy the only concrete thing I will do is leave my megacorp 401k right where it is in retirement. Won't roll it over to an IRA where I understand it is far more exposed to lawsuits (I hope that's true).
My understanding is that this is not true. The protection has been extended to roll-over IRAs.
My recollection is the asset protection part isn't really extended to them for the size 401k I have, but I can't recall my source for that. Do you have a source?
JW
Retired at Last
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

My impression is that protection of rollover IRAs with funds from qualifed funds is unlimited. However that protection
(from some "recent" bankruptcy protection act) where you have to file successfully for bankruptcy is fundamentally different than the protection under ERISA which protects the qualified plan (except for IRS, QDRO, and perhaps something else) even if not in bankruptcy. State laws also are a factor with some being stronger than others.....you'd have to ask the same question about when they apply.