Best Automobile Forums

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Best Automobile Forums

Post by CountryBoy »

Usually I see car threads here on how often to change the oil, etc. but I don't want to clutter this board with questions of a more detailed nature.

Do you have favorite car forums where I can ask detailed questions about car maintenance, etc. ?

Thanks.
aude

Re: Best Automobile Forums

Post by aude »

What kind of car? Many of the best ones are specific to make and model. Great place to visit before buying a car too.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

I have a toyota camry, so i searched toyota camry forums; lots to choose from. Guess I will just have to do a lot of reading to see which is best.
Dave76

Post by Dave76 »

The Yugo Fan Club is one of the better and more interesting ones I've seen.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Edmunds Forums
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

BobIsTheOilGuy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
BenJ

Post by BenJ »

VW Vortex is the best for VW and also good for european cars. Other than that...as others have said. Google for your particular car/region/etc..
littleridge

Post by littleridge »

I think peachparts.com/shopforum is the best I have found for Mercedes Benz. They have sub-forums for vintage Mercedes, Diesels, general Tech Help, etc. Also sub-forum for cars for sale and parts for sale.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

You have to weed through the mess on all of them. 9th gen Civic forums was useful until the parents started buying their children Civic's and they wanted to put cold air intakes, headers, fart pipes and 18' rims on them. driveaccord.net is mostly useful, not many parents buying their children Accord's. I enjoyed bobistheoilguy.com after while its mostly garbage. I also enjoyed cleanmpg.com until the sites operator injected his tax the rich to death ideology in his automotive website, I no longer participate but do browse. I have found I become infuriated easily and I participate in this forum mostly. Its hard to find true logic on any forum most of its voodoo logic based on nonsense.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
steve88

Post by steve88 »

For Toyota I would try Toyotanation.com
magician

Post by magician »

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Be careful participating in brand/model specific car forums. You will learn about every problem that every owner has with every car like yours and begin to imagine all of those problems are beginning to infect your vehicle. Oh, and your mechanic will begin to hate you as you explain to him how properly address each imagined issue. :wink:
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I have been catching that on weekend mornings. I have not been impressed with their advice.
FrugalInvestor wrote:Be careful participating in brand/model specific car forums. You will learn about every problem that every owner has with every car like yours and begin to imagine all of those problems are beginning to infect your vehicle. Oh, and your mechanic will begin to hate you as you explain to him how properly address each imagined issue. :wink:
I bring the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and show they they are going to do the repair for free. Two 2007 Civics I did this with the rear lower control arm and on one of them for when the block cracked.

Control arms: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/thebe ... e_wear.pdf

Cracked block: http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?at ... 1269292601
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Many thanks; I am getting very helpful answers on the Toyota Nation forum.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

mike143 wrote:
I have been catching that on weekend mornings. I have not been impressed with their advice.
FrugalInvestor wrote:Be careful participating in brand/model specific car forums. You will learn about every problem that every owner has with every car like yours and begin to imagine all of those problems are beginning to infect your vehicle. Oh, and your mechanic will begin to hate you as you explain to him how properly address each imagined issue. :wink:
I bring the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and show they they are going to do the repair for free. Two 2007 Civics I did this with the rear lower control arm and on one of them for when the block cracked.

Control arms: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/thebe ... e_wear.pdf

Cracked block: http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?at ... 1269292601
See!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

CountryBoy wrote:Many thanks; I am getting very helpful answers on the Toyota Nation forum.
I too have a Camry and agree that Toyota Nation is good. Have posted there before and gotten good results.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Many thanks folks, most helpful.
Topic Author
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

Many thanks folks, most helpful.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

FrugalInvestor wrote:See!
They won't perform a TSB unless you are experiencing the issue. Only noticed the lower control arm issue after premature tire replacement. Checked the other Civic and it has the same wear issue. One gets double the miles than they other. They actually didn't diagnose the cracked block, they did a pressure test and it held for 24 hours. I dump UV dye in the coolant and when it showed up in the oil I dropped it off and told them I didn't want it back until they figured it out. They called me a day and a half later to come pick it up after replacing the short block.