Do I need a passport for Mexico

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Do I need a passport for Mexico

Post by Jerilynn »

I'm planning on doing a trip to MEX to do some dental tx on the good folks there.
http://flyingsamaritansaz.org/Tucson/FSAZTucsonER.htm

Do I need any kinda shots or a passport to do that? [I've never had a passport]
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
livesoft

Re: Do I need a passport for Mexico

Post by livesoft »

It depends on your nationality, but google up the answer and tell us what it is.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch »

US citizens need passports. No need for shots other than you should have Hep A before you go.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

You may not need one to enter Mexico, but I would not chance it on the return trip to the US. I recommend getting a passport. It will last you for 10 years...
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Seekay

Post by Seekay »

Assuming you're a US Citizen :), best place for answers: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... quirements
Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico.
Regarding shots etc, your doc would be the best person to check with... and google (like livesoft suggested)
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

You do but, I have crossed at the local port of entry(walking), without a problem in recent times, with a drivers license.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

It takes a while to get a passport, so start NOW.
pjstack
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Getting back into the US will be difficult without a passport.

But you should get one anyway, because then I'll show you a bunch of other agencies that do overseas medical mission work -- I've been on about 15 of them. Dentists are in great demand.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Unless you plan to cross the desert undetected, you need one.
Btw, if you planningthe desert route, your chances are pretty good as border patrol concentrates on the opposite direction of travel. Getting back is going to be the problem though...
StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong »

If flying yes. Land crossing is strongly suggested, but as a US citizen you will get let in, it is just a matter of WHEN and how long you want to be held up at the crossing.

A few weeks ago I went with my sister to Mexico over a land crossing. She didn't have a passport. We didn't need anything walking in to Mexico. they did have federal police looking for guns and ammo, but weren't interested in paperwork. I called Border Patrol in advance and they said it was frowned upon but as a US citizen you can enter even without a passport, and they will try and verify certain details. We checked with them at the border before we crossed too just to double check and they were cool with it. Coming back wasn't an issue at all. This was a small desert crossing in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if it will be so easy if you come strolling up from TJ or Juarez.

Funny thing was it was more difficult for my German friend (with a passport) to enter. While my sister walked right in they asked him 100 questions.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The US was going through a transition for reentry which may be over. There used to be one if by land, two if by sea, and the modern three if by air. Car, cruise ship, and airplane all had different rules.

It still matters:
All U.S. citizens aged 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport book to return to the United States via an international flight. All U.S. citizens aged 16 or older traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport book or a passport card to return to the United States.
More on re-entry here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _2223.html
kramer

Post by kramer »

Hello Jerilynn,

You keep using "dental tx" in your posts. Sorry, but what is tx?
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Check out www.getyouhome.gov. In short, to fly, you need a passport. For land/sea, a passport card or "enhanced driver's license" is sufficient. (Only a few US states issue EDLs.)
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
donall

Post by donall »

kramer wrote:Hello Jerilynn,

tx = treatment
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border with the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). All U.S. citizens entering by land and traveling farther than 20 kilometers into Mexico should stop at an immigration checkpoint to obtain an FMM, even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. Beyond the 20-30 kilometer border zone, all non-Mexican citizens must have valid immigration documents (FMM, FM2, FM3 or FME) regardless of the original place of entry. Failure to present an FMM when checking in for an international flight departing Mexico can result in delays or missed flights as airlines may insist that a valid FMM be obtained from Mexican immigration authorities (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) before issuing a boarding pass. ...
All U.S. citizens aged 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport book to return to the United States via an international flight. All U.S. citizens aged 16 or older traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport book or a passport card to return to the United States. Travelers with passports that are found to be washed, mutilated or damaged may be refused entry to Mexico and returned to the United States. We strongly encourage all U.S. citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. U.S. citizens can visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... s_970.html

I'd make sure you're working with an organization that really knows what it's doing - you don't want to end up accused of malpractice or practicing without a license. Make sure they get the necessary documents for you to function as a professional. I'm sure you can imagine how American authorities would react if a Mexican dentist tried to practice here without the necessary license/papers, etc.; Mexican authorities are likely to react the same way (except I wouldn't want to get in legal trouble in Mexico). Liability insurance is no less of a concern in Mexico - if somehow the worst happens as a result of your treatment & the patient goes to the authorities, have you properly covered yourself both legally & in terms of insurance? I've heard of American drivers who are involved in accidents being held until cash to cover the accident & medical costs has been delivered (drivers to Mexico need to make sure they have the appropriate insurance, too; don't assume your US insurance is adequate; see http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/program ... Mexico.pdf).
dianna

Post by dianna »

Yes, get a passport. Ease your mind and make your life less complicated than it needs to be. If you are going to be driving while in MX, strongly consider getting an international driver's license and, most importantly, read and research how roads are driven and people maneuver in MX. Carry pesos with you at all time; 200 might do for each incident. thank you for your good humanitarian work!
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Just a passport and a bulletproof vest.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Yes, you need to have a passport to go anywhere outside of US territory. This means you have to have a passport to go to Canada or Mexico.

Paul
BL

Post by BL »

I know you can drive to Canada with just a PassCard but I don't know about Mexico. I have both so I can also fly wherever I choose. The Passcard fits nicely in my wallet so I almost forget it is there.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

wesleymouch wrote:US citizens need passports. No need for shots other than you should have Hep A before you go.
I assume you are referring to the vaccine and not the disease, eh? ;)
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

pjstack wrote:It takes a while to get a passport, so start NOW.
I did the 'expedited' passport app. Supposed to get it in about 3 weeks, that will be plenty of time.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Sorry.

Tx=treatment
Sx=surgery
Dx=diagnosis
Px=panorex
CBCT=Cone Beam CT scanner
SOM/scope=Surgical Operating Microscope
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Jerilynn wrote:

Sorry.

Tx=treatment
Sx=surgery
Dx=diagnosis
Px=panorex
Thanks for the explanation Jerilynn. I was emailing someone who kept talking about Sx. I didn't realize I was getting excited about surgery.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Pish, if you need a route through the desert I have a good one. Better yet my homestead is 30 miles north of the border stop by for a cold cerveza you will need it. :sharebeer
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Jerilynn wrote:I'm planning on doing a trip to MEX to do some dental tx on the good folks there.
Dr. Jerilynn,

I have a question for you and hope you don't mind answering.

Why do doctors, dentists, etc. go out of the country to do volunteer medical work? We have a large % of uninsured people right here in the U.S.of A. and many desperately need help, especially for dental work. Is it because of liability concerns?
SamGamgee

Post by SamGamgee »

Depends on how Mexican you look.

My father-in-law is a tan Sicilian, short, and had a mustache at the time he went to Mexico without a passport. He was very lucky to be able to talk himself back in! That was a few decades ago. Today if he pulled that trick he'd probably have to start a new family in Mexico. :)

If you are tall and blonde, I bet you could get away with it if you feigned ignorance.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Jerilynn wrote:

Sorry.

Tx=treatment
Sx=surgery
Dx=diagnosis
Px=panorex
You have not explained the Ex.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

HueyLDWhy do doctors, dentists, etc. go out of the country to do volunteer medical work? We have a large % of uninsured people right here in the U.S.of A. and many desperately need help, especially for dental work. Is it because of liability concerns?
Not Jeri, but as a physician I've done a number of these trips, and I'm pleased to tell you why:
1.People in third world countries are far more desperate for health care than folks here.
2.They actually appreciate what we can do there, instead of whining that it is not enough.
3.There are no lawyers, OSHA, city/state/federal regulators, or insurance agencies to deal with.
4.It teaches us that we have things pretty good in this country after all.
5.It is extemely rewarding work. I hear this from every single person who has gone.
Last edited by obgraham on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

donall wrote:

tx = treatment
As a science/engineering type, my first thought was, "ooh, a tooth-implanted radio transmitter!" 8-)
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Thank you, Dr. Obgraham. I, too, am a volunteer in a non-medical profession. And I share your experience.
Firewood42

Post by Firewood42 »

I have been going to Mexico for some serious dental work. I don't see any shortage of dentists. I am getting 13 crowns and a permanent bridge at a price of $3200 from a superb Mexican dentist that us "Winter Texans" have been going to for years. Of course if you are going to a poor area and doing your work for free, I can see the value in your trip. My next appointment is next Monday and I will get all this work done in 4 appointments.

You should have a pass port, sometimes one of us Winter Texans, being old, forget our passport. Usually it isn't much trouble getting back in the States but the Border Patrol are used to this happening at this crossing.
dianna

Post by dianna »

Pacific wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:

Sorry.

Tx=treatment
Sx=surgery
Dx=diagnosis
Px=panorex
Thanks for the explanation Jerilynn. I was emailing someone who kept talking about Sx. I didn't realize I was getting excited about surgery.
In my profession Sx = Symptoms. Px= Presenting Problem/Complaint. SOM = S*^#! Outta Money.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Jerilynn wrote:I'm planning on doing a trip to MEX to do some dental tx on the good folks there.

Do I need any kinda shots or a passport to do that? [I've never had a passport]

My neighbor/dentist does similiar - they always have a blast but it's hard work too apparently. Get a passport ... although my neighbor always seems to fly in on a twin engine Cessna to some podunk airstrip where there sometimes is no customs. Getting back into the US easily would be the problem as others have stated.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

HueyLD wrote:
Dr. Jerilynn,

I have a question for you and hope you don't mind answering.

Why do doctors, dentists, etc. go out of the country to do volunteer medical work? We have a large % of uninsured people right here in the U.S.of A. and many desperately need help, especially for dental work. Is it because of liability concerns?
Hi HueyLD,

THAT is an excellent point and one I agree with 100%. For me personally, in this particular situation, I don't have a current dental license, it expired after i couldn't practice for 2 years after some medical issues. I'm in the process of getting it re-instated. [pretty much just paperwork and a little bit of hoop jumping]

Hence, I can't legally practice in the USA. I need to get my feet wet again (been out of practice for 5 yrs) and the best option for me is to go to Mexico (dont need a dental license) and take out some infected teeth for the good people there.

After I get my state license re-instated, then I plan to volunteer @ our local free dental clinic taking out infected teeth for the good people *here*. :)

To answer your question about liability, that probably comes into play. I certainly don't need malpractice insurance for the place I am going in MEX. But, I will probably buy it before I do the free dental clinic stuff here.

Also, in my particular case, a couple of the other dentists going to MEX are my personal friends that I haven't seen in several years so it will be fun to work with them and kibitz. :) (none of these people have an AR license, so they couldn't legally practice here even if they wanted to.)

Also, I am planning on getting on my soapbox in MEX and spewing forth my <insert political views> and my <insert religious views> over a few cervezas in the local watering hole after a day of helping out some folks that, through no fault of their own, have some severe dental needs. It's win-win-win-win. :)
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

VictoriaF wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:

Sorry.

Tx=treatment
Sx=surgery
Dx=diagnosis
Px=panorex

Victoria
Que? [i'm working on my spanish]

If that was a joke it just went over my head, Victoria. :)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Jerilynn wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:

Sorry.

Tx=treatment
Sx=surgery
Dx=diagnosis
Px=panorex

Victoria

Lo siento, it was a joke: Ex as in ex-spouse or something like that.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Jerilynn wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: You have not explained the Ex.

Marriage, Divorce, Ex. That's what I read.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Firewood42 wrote:I have been going to Mexico for some serious dental work. I don't see any shortage of dentists. I am getting 13 crowns and a permanent bridge at a price of $3200 from a superb Mexican dentist that us "Winter Texans" have been going to for years. Of course if you are going to a poor area and doing your work for free, I can see the value in your trip. My next appointment is next Monday and I will get all this work done in 4 appointments.

You should have a pass port, sometimes one of us Winter Texans, being old, forget our passport. Usually it isn't much trouble getting back in the States but the Border Patrol are used to this happening at this crossing.
In MEX (as well as the USA), there is a tremendous shortage of FREE or very low cost dental tx.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Back when all you needed was a birth certificate, and my certificate was not stamped/embossed sufficiently, I made a $60 donation to one Federale's retirement fund to get INTO Mexico. Didn't need anything to get out. Simpler times.
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi