Does Vanguard allow 401k tranfers into closed funds?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Gort

Does Vanguard allow 401k tranfers into closed funds?

Post by Gort »

Friends,
If I was ready to retire and transfer my company sponsored 401K (Hartford acct) to Vanguard, would Vanguard allow me access to closed funds? Just wondering.
Thanks,
Gort
JamesSFO

Re: Does Vanguard allow 401k tranfers into closed funds?

Post by JamesSFO »

Some closed funds are accessible to Flagship customers.

But in the abstract a 401K-to-IRA rollover wouldn't magically get you access to a fund that is closed to new investors.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

You could ask Vanguard. 1800-345-1344
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

In general, it is not a good idea to invest in closed funds. Many companies don't close a fund and the portfolio manager has to deal with a fund that has more money than he/she can invest wisely - according to the fund's strategy and his/her expertise. Vanguard is being responsible by closing funds to new investors to try to keep the fund's performance up. Many times the fund is included in 401k or similar plans and they are still allowed to invest. But when a company decides to close a fund it is a red flag that they are concerned about having too much money to invest wisely. My advice is find another fund you are probably interested in the closed fund based on it's past perfomance and they are signaling that the future is probably not as bright.