457(b) Dividends Reflected in Share Price of Funds?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Frank2012

457(b) Dividends Reflected in Share Price of Funds?

Post by Frank2012 »

My 457(b) contains some very good Blackrock index funds that are very low in cost (for example, their S&P 500 fund is only .01 basis point....wow!).

However....my quarterly statements never seem to reflect income from dividends, even though these funds have a yield and supposedly distribute dividends.

The 457(b) is managed by ING, so I called customer service and was told that the dividends are indeed distributed, but...through some magical accounting wizardry that I don't understand, the dividends are reflected somehow in the share price of the index fund and not as actual dividend distributions.

Does anyone else have a retirement vehicle like this where your dividends are reflected in the share price of the fund? And doesn't this make it hard to reinvest the dividends in the fund?

Be curious if anyone know how this works....seems fishy to me.

Thanks for any insights!
skylar

Re: 457(b) Dividends Reflected in Share Price of Funds?

Post by skylar »

I also have a 457b plan with a Blackrock-managed S&P 500 CIT with a 0% ER (although the plan has a 0.129% admin fee). Every quarter, I tend to get 20 cents or so as dividends. Comparing the annual performance to Morningstar's S&P 500 growth information (price + dividends) shows that they track very closely, so it appears that the dividends are rolled into the NAV.

There was a thread a few weeks ago discussing this situation in a 401k plan with CITs:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=108250

Skylar
Topic Author
Frank2012

Post by Frank2012 »

Thank you for the info, Skylar. Much appreciated. I had not heard about a "Collective Investment Trust" before. Many thanks!
skylar

Post by skylar »

Frank2012 wrote:Thank you for the info, Skylar. Much appreciated. I had not heard about a "Collective Investment Trust" before. Many thanks!
You're very welcome. If it makes you feel better, I hadn't heard of CITs before I started using this 457b either. Since they're not regulated like mutual funds and don't have a ticker symbol, I would be very leery about investing in any CIT that's not an index fund. At least with index funds you can go to Morningstar and compare performance easily.

Skylar
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

While not exactly the same thing, many people invest in the TIAA-CREF variable annuities. There are never any dividends paid out. A mutual fund is required to pay out the dividends it receives which for stock funds results in a drop in NAV (and prompts all the questions on that topic). Your CIT and the T/C variable annuities are not required to pay out the dividends received, and the NAV only drops when the underlying assets drop in value. You can think of your CIT as reinvesting all the dividends it gets within each share, so the NAV doesn't drop when it receives and reinvests those dividends. You don't get more shares, but the shares you have are worth more than if the dividends were paid out and actually reinvested.
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

I think I had the same question a while back

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=107227

our expense ratio is .03%. I still dont really understand the investment trust thing.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Frank2012 wrote:Does anyone else have a retirement vehicle like this where your dividends are reflected in the share price of the fund? And doesn't this make it hard to reinvest the dividends in the fund?
As noted, those will be collective investment trusts, and not having specific dividends is pretty typical. It's the same for all funds at MyMegaCorp, except the company stock fund. That pays dividends, which can be distributed in-service for some reason or the other.

Brian
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Collective Investment Trusts make it easier to think in terms of total return. Also its easier to track things on a spreadsheet. I get the Blackrock funds in my 457B for 0.03% ER.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.