Discussions about the forum and contents
Wick1

Post by Wick1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:07 pm

When I open the Bogleheads Forum to the Log in page there is a check box below the User name and password boxes titled "Log me on automatically each visit". I assumed that if checked I would automatically go to the Forums Index. Not so. What am I missing?
Thanks for the help
Wick
IN GOD WE TRUST

Orion

Post by Orion » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would automatically go to the Forums Index." but I don't think it has anything to do with going anywhere. If you want to go someplace each time, you can bookmark that place in your browser.

Here's something from the forum FAQ about what that function does:
Why do I get logged off automatically?
If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you log in, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university cluster, etc.

Wick1

Post by Wick1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 pm

Orion,
Thanks for your response. The check box titled "Log me on automaticaly each visit" led me to think that once I checked this box that I would never have to enter my user name and password again.

In my opinion the check box description is a poor choice of words to describe the function of maintaining a connection.
Take care,
Wick
IN GOD WE TRUST

Orion

Post by Orion » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:22 pm

Hmm, I haven't had to enter my user name and PW in a very long time. By any chance are you blocking cookies?

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:29 am

Wick:
The check box titled "Log me on automaticaly each visit" led me to think that once I checked this box that I would never have to enter my user name and password again.
That's what checking the box is supposed to do. If you've checked the box the next time you visit you should see your user name at the top of the page with the option to log out.

I think your original question:
I assumed that if checked I would automatically go to the Forums Index. Not so. What am I missing?
confused Orion. You will go to the forum index no matter if you are logged in or not if that is your bookmark.

I have checked the box, but the site has lost my log-in three times. It seems to have a poor memory. So I've had to provide the information over again.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:14 pm

Using Password Manager (part of Norton Systemworks) automatically enters your user name and password.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

AzRunner

Post by AzRunner » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:22 pm

I've tried the automatic logon option on numerous occasions but the forum never remembers me. I wonder if this option has been disabled by the moderator?

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 pm

AzRunner wrote:the forum never remembers me. I wonder if this option has been disabled
This feature works fine but it depends on being able to set cookies in your browser. Check to see if you've disabled cookies either in your browser or in some related "privacy" software, e.g. a firewall like ZoneAlarm.

Buddtholomew

Post by Buddtholomew » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 pm

If you clear your browser cache and delete your cookies, you will be required to enter your username/password combination each time you visit the site.