Early retirement overseas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Early retirement overseas?

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote:Youre right. Thats scary as heck. We met a number of women traveling in that part of the world and usually with a male companion. When that protective "veil" is ignored civilized behavior erodes. Hopefully the OP will take this into consideration.
Do you think that the gender imbalance is also a factor? Mothers abort female fetuses and raise desperate men? If true, neither protests or stronger punishments would change it soon.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

VictoriaF wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Youre right. Thats scary as heck. We met a number of women traveling in that part of the world and usually with a male companion. When that protective "veil" is ignored civilized behavior erodes. Hopefully the OP will take this into consideration.
Do you think that the gender imbalance is also a factor? Mothers abort female fetuses and raise desperate men? If true, neither protests or stronger punishments would change it soon.

Victoria
I don't believe it's as big a problem in China where the gender imbalance is probably more? Perhaps the Chinese culture was quicker to realize that huge gender inequalities result in a huge economic disadvantage?
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I agree with hicabob on the point regarding the emphasis on male births vs female births in China. The large disparity in the male vs female demographics dont seem to engender a greater degree of sexual abuse of females in China so far. How aggressive the greater male population of China impacts its future societal culture and foreign policy (increased militarism) is a big IF.
But we are talking about India and it appears to suffer on a number of fronts. Large parts of the country are agricultural villages and "tribal" in nature. Many of those men have moved to the big cities looking for work and bring those village attitudes with them. They havent assimilated into modern India and the more relaxed cultural standards that exist in the cities. Prostitution is common so acquiring sex isnt difficult.
Further it is very difficult for India to identify itself as a whole nation. By that i mean it has many many different languages and hundreds of dialects. Add to that a wide variety of religious sects and you are not going to get a cultural consensus anytime soon. V.S. Naipul wrote a book a number of years ago called "India a wounded Nation". In which he delved into the impact of Indias rather disjointed history and its present impact.
I can only lament present day Indias attitude towards women and suspect it will take a very long time to correct. In the meantime severe punishment is one of the few resources the people will have to get this despicable crime under control and maintain a semblance of civil order.
Me thinks the OP and others reading this post will have second thoughts on retirement to India (or even visiting). Hopefully that will have an impact on the countries future course regarding their attitude towards their women.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

reggiesimpson wrote: I agree with hicabob on the point regarding the emphasis on male births vs female births in China. The large disparity in the male vs female demographics dont seem to engender a greater degree of sexual abuse of females in China so far. How aggressive the greater male population of China impacts its future societal culture and foreign policy (increased militarism) is a big IF.
I agree its a big IF. However, when compared with India, China definitely has thousands of years of culture in its favor. And while India will likely move slowly to improve its behavior, Child would also likely move slowly to worsen its. The other benefit China may have is that its male population has all of SE Asia to look for brides. There isn't really a comparable option for Indian men.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

reggiesimpson wrote: Further it is very difficult for India to identify itself as a whole nation. By that i mean it has many many different languages and hundreds of dialects. Add to that a wide variety of religious sects and you are not going to get a cultural consensus anytime soon.
That is no different than NYC or London so I am not entirely buying this as a rationale. And as far as place go with integrating diverse populations, India is one of the better countries I have seen. So, this is more likely to be a consideration in modern countries as they struggle with immigration then it will be for India.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

reggiesimpson wrote: Me thinks the OP and others reading this post will have second thoughts on retirement to India (or even visiting). Hopefully that will have an impact on the countries future course regarding their attitude towards their women.
Although foreign women will experience a lot more leering in India, the risks of physical harm to a foreign women (especially a white foreign woman) are no greater in India then they are in most of the developing nations where people choose to retire/visit.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

halfnine wrote:The other benefit China may have is that its male population has all of SE Asia to look for brides. There isn't really a comparable option for Indian men.
Huh? Do you think all Asians are the same or something? Hell would freeze over before you saw a Mainlander with a Sri Lankan, Indonesian or Pinoy. Equally females from many Asian nations would shudder at the thought of shacking up with a Mainlander!
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

halfnine wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote: Further it is very difficult for India to identify itself as a whole nation. By that i mean it has many many different languages and hundreds of dialects. Add to that a wide variety of religious sects and you are not going to get a cultural consensus anytime soon.
That is no different than NYC or London so I am not entirely buying this as a rationale. And as far as place go with integrating diverse populations, India is one of the better countries I have seen. So, this is more likely to be a consideration in modern countries as they struggle with immigration then it will be for India.
Thank you for the feedback. I really didnt expect blanket acceptance of my comment. I was merely trying to answer Victorias question to some degree. This recent crime will not stop myself and my wife from visiting India again. However, just as we were on our toes back then we will be even more vigilant now. Why?..........we cant run as fast!
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

HongKonger wrote:
halfnine wrote:The other benefit China may have is that its male population has all of SE Asia to look for brides. There isn't really a comparable option for Indian men.
Huh? Do you think all Asians are the same or something? Hell would freeze over before you saw a Mainlander with a Sri Lankan, Indonesian or Pinoy. Equally females from many Asian nations would shudder at the thought of shacking up with a Mainlander!
I took the original comment to mean that the Chinese diaspora has resulted in ethnic Chinese populations and communities all over SE Asia....like Malaysia for example, which is what....25% ethnic Chinese? Not that Mainland Chinese men would be searching out wives among the non-Chinese populations of SE Asia. Now whether, for example, a young wealthy successful businessman from Mainland China would or could search out a Chinese spouse from outside of mainland China is something I have no ability to comment on.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

texasdiver wrote:
HongKonger wrote:
I took the original comment to mean that the Chinese diaspora has resulted in ethnic Chinese populations and communities all over SE Asia....like Malaysia for example, which is what....25% ethnic Chinese? Not that Mainland Chinese men would be searching out wives among the non-Chinese populations of SE Asia. Now whether, for example, a young wealthy successful businessman from Mainland China would or could search out a Chinese spouse from outside of mainland China is something I have no ability to comment on.
My comment is a bit of both actually. There are significant populations of ethnic Chinese all over the globe but due to trade, geopolitics, distance, etc there is likely to be a growing market for wives for Chinese men within South East Asia. Especially since by geographical proximity there certainly isn't going to be a market immediately to the West, North or East of China.

Now, as far as crossing ethnic lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see a growing market for wives in much of mainland South East Asia either.
spocksynder

Post by spocksynder »

Consider India. Goa is a small ex-Portuguese colony on the western coast of India. Its very beautiful, and has a sizeable expat population. The place does have a reputation for hippies, but its overblown in my opinion. I think a decent American pension would buy a very good lifestyle there.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

spocksynder wrote:Consider India. Goa is a small ex-Portuguese colony on the western coast of India. Its very beautiful, and has a sizeable expat population. The place does have a reputation for hippies, but its overblown in my opinion. I think a decent American pension would buy a very good lifestyle there.
+1
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

FireProof wrote:I'm retired at 25 and wrote a (pseudonymous) article that partially discusses my thinking: http://voices.yahoo.com/why-retire-lima ... 18472.html

You can tell the article is for a 25-year old's concerns because it doesn't even mention heath care :)

You can definitely hugely reduce costs - you just can't live like a gringo who's trying to transplant America. I guess I have a Bay Area perspective though. You can also reduce non-healthcare costs by moving to the Rust Belt, but that seemed less appealing.

Personally I wouldn't recommend moving to Asian countries (unless you have that ancestry), because the languages are so hard, and you're so different that it will be hard to ever really assimilate. But then again, some want to retire to live as expats, rather than to really integrate with the local culture.

My girlfriend is not yet retired (and she's already 26!) and is working over the internet earning a salary in dollars from the US company where she already worked, which obviously goes a long way in a 3rd world country.
Shameless brag, but Peru is winning some plaudits for its cuisine on a global scale: http://www.spoonfed.co.uk/spooners/spoo ... ards-7525/

Some French guy told me I need a reality check, and, hey, there surely are more great restaurants in France, but value has to be a factor as well.
BigMoneyGrip

Post by BigMoneyGrip »

SarahShaw wrote:
If you have a good pension there are a number of countries in which you can get a "retirement" visa indefinitely. For example, Thailand will let you stay indefinitely if you either have a $27K per year pension or else park $27K in a Thai bank indefinitely. And then you'll find that if you actually spend $27K per year in a <highly desirable> city such as Chiang Mai that people will consider you to be a high roller.

Don't you also need to be at least 55 years old for a Thai retirement visa? Otherwise, all you can get is a 3 month tourist visa.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

BigMoneyGrip wrote:
SarahShaw wrote:
If you have a good pension there are a number of countries in which you can get a "retirement" visa indefinitely. For example, Thailand will let you stay indefinitely if you either have a $27K per year pension or else park $27K in a Thai bank indefinitely. And then you'll find that if you actually spend $27K per year in a <highly desirable> city such as Chiang Mai that people will consider you to be a high roller.

Don't you also need to be at least 55 years old for a Thai retirement visa? Otherwise, all you can get is a 3 month tourist visa.
50 years old, apparently, and at least (as of right now) USD 26,376.55 in a Thai bank account... http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

22. Question : What is the required age of the alien wishing to stay in Thailand with the reason of Retirement?

Answer : For reasons to stay of Retirement, the alien must be 50 year of age or older and must have been granted a Non-Immigrant visa, firstly. More over, the said alien must have evidences to verify his/her financial status of not less than 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht per year. Evidences showing financial support are as follows;
1. In case of having money in the bank account (Saving/Fix deposit) of any bank located in Thailand.
- The updated bank passbook on the date of application submission showing money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 3 months. ( Except the first application for this reason, that such amount should be deposited and held for 60 days)
- Letter from the bank certified the current account in the bank of not less than 800,000 Baht; or
2.2 In case of having any other income from abroad such as pension, social welfare
- Letter from the applicant’s Embassy or consulate in Thailand verifying their pension or other income of the applicant which must not be less than 65,000 Baht per month. Or;
2.3 In case of a combination of having money in the bank account and income from pension, with total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht per year, the required documents are the same as mentioned in 2.1and 2.2
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

via Daily Mail:

Retire on the cheap – and still get endless sun! Research shows you can live on less than a grand a month in world’s 'best value' countries

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-sun.html
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

dgdevil wrote:via Daily Mail:

Retire on the cheap – and still get endless sun! Research shows you can live on less than a grand a month in world’s 'best value' countries

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-sun.html
Nice. I like how the Panama and Mexico ones show monthly expenses greater than mine here in the US.

At any rate, although I think it is great to be able to "live" I would really like to know what it costs to thrive. Thrift is not so attractive. But what is both widely available abroad and only affordable abroad? What could you really do there? Even if you take as given that a couple could live in Nicaragua for $995 per month, what besides laying on a beach? How do you make friends? Are you subjected to gringo/resort prices once you take out your golf clubs?