best wrinkle-free shirts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

best wrinkle-free shirts

Post by Zeppcoustic »

I wear a shirt sans tie and chinos about 50 % of the time at work. I hate ironing dress shirts and I hate paying $1.85 to launder them.

What brands do you guys like? I have a few wrinkle-free shirts (forget brand) but they still seem to get some wrinkles.
AgentJones

Re: best wrinkle-free shirts

Post by AgentJones »

Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts are fantastic and can be had for ~$40 during their semi-annual sales. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that JC Penney uses the same technology in some of their shirts.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This is a frequently question, so I searched the forum for you: http://www.google.com/search?sitesearch ... ess+shirts

Answer: Brooks Brothers.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I like Van Heusen shirts. No wrinkles, long shelf life, and can usually be found on sale for around $20.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Costco shirts. They are like $20 and wrinkle free. If they are a little bit wrinkle, just spray some water and will be wrinkle free after dry. The water spray thing works on t shirts and pants as well. Too lazy to iron any more.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

Brooks Brothers are great but pricey. A cheaper option is Charles Tyrwhitt - there are usually deals floating around so that you only pay about $40 per shirt for the non-iron version (check slickdeals). They're more of European cut than Brooks Brothers, so if you're slim these fit great.
nolabogle

Post by nolabogle »

I like Roundtree and Yorke from Dillards. Reasonably priced and keep a fairly non-iron condition for a few years. A few weeks ago someone posted their recommendations on additional measures to take to keep non-iron for an even longer time frame. Perhaps that person can repeat those recommendations?
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Cool. I will try the water spraying thing.

Thanks for insights.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Brooks Brothers, Lands End, and some Jos A Bank shirts. I just bought a Costco shirt (made by Kirkland) and going to try it out, but the cut is a little different.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
chaz

Post by chaz »

Try Walmart.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
JSMill

Post by JSMill »

Van Heusen is the best compromise for cost + wrinkle freedom
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

JC Penny's house brand dress shirts are excellent. I own several.
All the Best, | Joe
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

I buy the Costco (Kirkland) shirts and they are a great value (around $18/shirt), but they do not come out of the dryer completely wrinkle free. I still have to touch them up by ironing them in order to have a nice, pressed look. I'll have to try the water spray trick mentioned earlier.
I have seen the Brooks Brothers shirts as well and they look great after laundering. A colleague has them and he swears by them. They do look like they have been professionally pressed. I am frugal, so I stick with the Costco shirts as I don't mind spending a few minutes ironing, but I think the Brooks Brothers shirts are superior quality. You get what you pay for I guess.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Hands down Brooks Brothers. Their semi annual 40 percent off sale is coincidentally going on right now.
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

The aforementioned Brooks Brothers non-iron and Nordstrom Smartcare. Both great.
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

I hate to bring this up, but:

Formaldehyde in Wrinkle-Free Clothes May Pose Skin Risks - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/your- ... inkle.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/style_and ... t_fas.html

I don't know enough to judge, but I haven't bought any wrinkle-free shirts since learning about this, although I'm still wearing the couple that I already own.
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Just saw this on Slickdeals, think I will swing by this weekend.

Brooks Brothers is pleased to announce our Semi-Annual Sale, beginning Monday, June 18 and continuing through Tuesday, July 3, 2012. During this event, you will enjoy savings of up to 40%*.

As a longstanding tradition, this event provides the opportunity to receive exceptional value on both our classic and seasonal merchandise collections. Please stop in to take advantage of Limited Time Values available only twice per year.

As one of my valued clients, I would like to ensure that you are provided with the best chance to take advantage of this promotion. Please feel free to call me at the number below to schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for you during this event.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

hoppy08520 wrote:I hate to bring this up, but:

Formaldehyde in Wrinkle-Free Clothes May Pose Skin Risks - NYTimes.com.
Not really. Who wears new clothes without washing them first?
WhiskeyJ

Post by WhiskeyJ »

Can anyone comment on the BrooksCool vs. the regular Supima? Which do you prefer and why?

I've been a big fan of the Nordstrom Smartcare, but in slim fit it is very rare to find anything but the point collar, and I see BB offers both. For the nordstrom shirt, if you wash and dry on permanent press, take it out when still slightly damp, you can get by without ironing the shirt. I ususally iron just the front and back, skipping the sleeves and other parts.
Tony

Post by Tony »

LL Bean.
Tony
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

I bought a few shirts from Men's Wearhouse when they were 2 for 1. I'm a slim fit tall guy and they fit and look great. I always found brooks brothers to be a bit too robust around the middle, though maybe they make a good slim fit shirt now.
poundwise

Post by poundwise »

Great thread -- worth it to have a dedicated thread to wrinkle-free. Bogleheads don't like to waste $ on fees, so why waste time and money on ironing or dry-cleaning? Incidentally, I inquired at Jos A Bank what fraction of all shirt sales were wrinkle-free. The sales person told me 90+%. I can't wait until my dress shirt collection is 100% wrinkle-free -- will be hitting up our local Brooks Brothers this w/e to take a step in that direction.

Would be great if people bumped this thread whenever there are great sales on BB, Jos A Bank, etc.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

For what it's worth, I recently (6 months ago) bought some Jos A Bank shirts after wearing various department store-sold shirts (e.g. Van Heusen Geoffrey Beene, Perry Ellis), for the past several years. Huge difference in quality, and they actually do not require ironing to look good unlike most of the other "wrinkle-free" shirts I've tried. More expensive, but you can usually find 50-60% off sales from the regular $90 price. The reason I bought them was for the much better fit for those who aren't the typical American body shape.

Have not tried Brooks Brothers, but I'm quite happy with the Jos A Bank shirts and do not feel the need to spend more.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

In my opinion, Brooks Bros. non-iron shirts seem to have the best durability and retention of their non-iron properties, plus they have slim-fit sizes available. Unfortunately, the styles are a bit boring for anyone under 40 or so, i. e. they've been making them the same for 20+ years.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tell me about shirt "styles" please. Is it about the collar? I have been complimented many times on my shirts, but no one has ever mentioned "style".
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

I used to buy Brooks and Jos A and agree that Brooks are definitely the nicest in terms of quality and being wrinkle free from the dryer. But spending over $60 a shirt to me is too much. Jos is not that cheap either but they carry more styles and fit. Quality wise is nice but not up there with Brooks.

I like Costco (Kirkland) because they are inexpensive and they are holding up so far over the last 18 months. And I wear the same shirts every week. I used to bring my shirts to the laundry place because I didn't want to ruin the Brooks and Jos shirts. Now I don't iron my kirklands so I not only save time but an extra $1.5 per shirt. But off course I am cheaper than many of you. :moneybag
rocket

Post by rocket »

I use JC Pennys best shirts, BUT I found that they fit MUCH BETTER after being tailored by removing fabric under the arms.
If I weighted 50 pounds more I might like it as they come from the store. I think the fabric is very good.
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

update: best wrinkle-free shirts

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Per majority advice on this thread, I went for the Brooks Brothers shirts. Went to the store to try on a few, decided 16.5/34 Slim Fit was perfect for me. I ordered 5 shirts online which came to around $275 after 40% discount and shipping, which was a splurge for me clothing-wise. So far I'm very pleased with the shirts. The shirts had normal wrinkles from packaging. One wash and then onto a hangar, the next day they looked like ironed shirts! Wore one shirt twice after washing it and it has been almost completely wrinkle-free.

Thanks for the recommendations!
WhiskeyJ wrote:Can anyone comment on the BrooksCool vs. the regular Supima? Which do you prefer and why?
The BrooksCool is a little heavier/coarser fabric than the Supima. Both comfortable, not sure which I prefer yet.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Be careful washing these shirts since they tend to fade especially washing them in warm or hot water. My friend told me to use Wool lite since they keep it from fading but having try yet.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

AgentJones wrote:Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts are fantastic and can be had for ~$40 during their semi-annual sales. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that JC Penney uses the same technology in some of their shirts.
+1 for Brooks Brothers (supima cotton 'oxford cloth').

I have, however, found that if you stain them, it's impossible to get them out. I never eat lunch without buttoning up my jacket all the way (ie all 3 buttons). Looks odd, but those shirts cost up to £90 (ie $130) here.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

livesoft wrote:Tell me about shirt "styles" please. Is it about the collar? I have been complimented many times on my shirts, but no one has ever mentioned "style".
Perhaps I should have said "patterns" or "designs." Some shirts have very modern/colorful stripe designs, whereas others are more traditional/understated. Nothing to do with the collar. Brooks Brothers shirts tend to have very plain/traditional designs/patterns. Nothing wrong with that, but if you have a closet full of them, they all sort of all look the same to me. Everyone has their own preference.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Another vote for brooks brothers

As far as style.....pick a shirt that fits your body style. Personally, i like a somewhat athletic fit and a tall collar.
madef88

Post by madef88 »

Brooks Brothers Semi-Annual Sale starts today and ends January 3. FYI.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I'll have to give the BB a try. Last couple of years I have been buying JAB. I like the slim cut ones, and I like that I can get a real 32 inch sleeve. Department store brands almost always come 32/33 which is just a little long.

Might be my technique, or I'm just picky, or maybe I need the BB shirts, but even following all the standard advice on laundering "wrinkle free" I have never found shirts or pants to really be wrinkle free. Low wrinkle easy iron seems to be a more honest description (which is what they used to be called). Ok without ironing for casual wear, but if you really want to look sharp you still need to iron. But the treated shirts iron very easily.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Rodc wrote: Might be my technique, or I'm just picky, or maybe I need the BB shirts, but even following all the standard advice on laundering "wrinkle free" I have never found shirts or pants to really be wrinkle free. Low wrinkle easy iron seems to be a more honest description (which is what they used to be called). Ok without ironing for casual wear, but if you really want to look sharp you still need to iron. But the treated shirts iron very easily.
Yes, I agree for all "no iron" shirts. Much easier to iron than untreated 100% cotton but still need a "touch up" if you want to look sharp rather than "OK/acceptable".
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Rodc wrote:I'll have to give the BB a try. Last couple of years I have been buying JAB. I like the slim cut ones, and I like that I can get a real 32 inch sleeve. Department store brands almost always come 32/33 which is just a little long.
BB slim-fit shirts that I have come in 32/33 and not 32. I think a 32/33 sleeve is essentially a 33 sleeve which is what I need.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

livesoft wrote:
Rodc wrote:I'll have to give the BB a try. Last couple of years I have been buying JAB. I like the slim cut ones, and I like that I can get a real 32 inch sleeve. Department store brands almost always come 32/33 which is just a little long.
BB slim-fit shirts that I have come in 32/33 and not 32. I think a 32/33 sleeve is essentially a 33 sleeve which is what I need.
A 32/33 sleeve is indeed a 33 sleeve, with an extra button for short-armed fellers like myself. Concur with Rodc on the slim fit with a 32 sleeve just fitting better.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Topic Author
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

madef88 wrote:Brooks Brothers Semi-Annual Sale starts today and ends January 3. FYI.
Thanks for the heads up! Just re-upped.
twacapt

Post by twacapt »

When I purchased my first Brooks Bros. shirt last year, there was another guy returning a no-iron shirt while complaining that it wasn't truly no-iron. I should have listened. The shirts never come out looking pressed and ready to wear. They always need "touching up.". I'll stick with Van Husen pinpoint oxford no-iron dress shirts. They're great and never need ironing, and at a third the price of BB.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^ I'm interested. Got a link? A search at Amazon.com turned up no hits for
Van Heusen 100% cotton no-iron slim fit long-sleeve