Deleted

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: 1/3 of VSS dividends are nonqualified?

Post by grabiner »

Dividends may be non-qualified for other reasons than a short holding period. Foreign dividends are not qualified if the corporation is not eligible for tax treaty benefits; even if there is a tax treaty with the country, it might not apply to this corporation. Payments in lieu of dividends (when the stock is lent to a short seller) are not qualified dividends. Distributions which were not subject to tax at the corporate level (such as income from REITs) are not qualified.

As a result, small-cap funds tend to have a lower percentage of qualified dividends than large-cap funds, and foreign funds tend to have a lower percentage than domestic funds. VSS (international small-cap) has only half qualified dividends.

It is possible to manage a fund for more qualified dividends; Tax-Managed Small-Cap and Tax-Managed International both have 100% qualified dividends, while none of Vanguard's other small-cap or international funds have 100%.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Speaking of VSS, their December dividend seems slow to show up. The ex-dividend date was 12/20 and there is no sign of it yet, today being 12/22. I hold this at VBS, makes me wonder if I would have seen this dividend if I held VSS at another brokerage. It is not being reinvested in VSS but rather swept to Prime MM. Nothing shows under transaction history. I know I just need to learn to be more patient. :D
Best Wishes, SpringMan
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Is it Christmas yet?

Code: Select all

Ex-Dividend Date	 Payable Date
  12/20/2012	      12/27/2012
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Thanks. That explains it. The Vanguard page I was looking at was only showing declaration date 12/18 and ex-dividend date of 12/20, missing IMO the most important date. Nope, not Christmas yet. :)
Best Wishes, SpringMan
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

SpringMan wrote:Thanks. That explains it. The Vanguard page I was looking at was only showing declaration date 12/18 and ex-dividend date of 12/20, missing IMO the most important date. Nope, not Christmas yet. :)
For distribution questions after (or in the middle of) the fact, I like the distributions tab on the fund or ETF page. That was the source of my information.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

SpringMan wrote:Speaking of VSS, their December dividend seems slow to show up. The ex-dividend date was 12/20 and there is no sign of it yet, today being 12/22. I hold this at VBS, makes me wonder if I would have seen this dividend if I held VSS at another brokerage. It is not being reinvested in VSS but rather swept to Prime MM. Nothing shows under transaction history. I know I just need to learn to be more patient. :D
At another brokerage you will see this dividend a day earlier than you will see it at VBS: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=87742
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted