TurboTax - How many returns?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jerilynn

TurboTax - How many returns?

Post by Jerilynn »

I purchased the turbo tax download from Quicken, can I do more than one return with it? In other words, can I use it for my 22yr old daughter, or is the license just for one return?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Rainier

Re: TurboTax - How many returns?

Post by Rainier »

The version you install on your computer?

As many as you want. Only get to efile 5 federal returns. Rest you can just print.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Rainier wrote:The version you install on your computer?

As many as you want. Only get to efile 5 federal returns. Rest you can just print.
Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. :thumbsup

edited to add: What about State? I'm assuming you have to pay for the extra ones, or do you get 5 of those, also?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I downloaded the state tax return last year - I used it for 3 family members, so 3 different returns.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 »

State returns you get one electronic filing, then have to pay for each electronic filing after that. You can always print out the state returns and mail them.
apk

Post by apk »

Do the answers above also apply for people who get TurboTax through Vanguard's Flagship service? I think this use of TurboTax is at no cost. Can users still get up to five federal tax returns?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (software question - not taxes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bmeighan

Post by bmeighan »

I'd like to add a few comments to ensure everyone has accurate information about how many returns you can prepare with TurboTax. My comments refer to TurboTax Deluxe (and above) for the desktop (download or CD).

1. You can prepare and print as many federal returns as you'd like (but not for a fee / professional use). There is no limit. However, if you want to efile your federal returns (which is what you should be doing), TurboTax allows you to efile up to 5 federal returns at no charge. That limit is imposed by the IRS. If you want to file more than 5 federal returns, you'll have to print and mail those additional returns.

2. TurboTax Deluxe (and above versions) come with one free state program of your choice. With that one state, you can prepare and file as many state returns for that one state as you'd like. Efiling each state return is $19.99. If you don't want to pay to efile the state return, then print and mail the return at no charge.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax
Bob Meighan
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

bmeighan wrote: 1. You can prepare and print as many federal returns as you'd like (but not for a fee / professional use). There is no limit. However, if you want to efile your federal returns (which is what you should be doing), TurboTax allows you to efile up to 5 federal returns at no charge. That limit is imposed by the IRS. If you want to file more than 5 federal returns, you'll have to print and mail those additional returns.

VP, TurboTax
I disagree. While it is part of TT's business model to get you hooked on efiling (supported by the federal government and the senior senator from NY and now many of the states), I don't have to buy into TT's business model.

There are cases where efiling is rejected, so paying for "free" efiling is an externally imposed extra cost. Last year I used fillable forms from the IRS to file. This year I may print them out blank and fill them out with a ball point pen. The year after, I will use ink well and quill pen. I am still looking for some quality sleeve garters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_garter
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

bmeighan wrote:TurboTax allows you to efile up to 5 federal returns at no charge. That limit is imposed by the IRS. If you want to file more than 5 federal returns, you'll have to print and mail those additional returns.
Thank you, that's very helpful. As you may have surmised, this forum deep-dives into the details. Can you please provide the IRS rulings or publications that impose this limit?

The only information I could find is here: Features of the IRS e-file Application Using e-services

The two referenced publications (bottom of page) don't seem to answer this question. This is not my background; it's very possible I may have missed it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bmeighan

Post by bmeighan »

sscritic... You can choose to disagree but the facts are as I posted. There are many free solutions out there including doing the forms by hand, using the IRS' fill-in-the-field electronic forms and even our free solutions. However, I would not suggest these as appropriate solutions for most Vanguard customers given all the better options available. As for efiling your return, it certainly saves time and reduces errors significantly. According to the IRS, returns filed using tax software and electronically filed are 20 times more accurate than those manually prepared.

ladygeek... All consumer software vendors are subject to the IRS imposed maximum efiling of 5 returns. The source for this is http://www.irs.gov/uac/e-file-Using-a-Computer. It states,

You prepare your tax return on a personal computer and transmit the information via the Internet to an electronic return transmitter. You can transmit a maximum of five returns using tax preparation software, so you can prepare returns for family and friends as well.

Whether this forum deep-dives or not, I will be monitoring this forum for any questions that arise. I hope this helps.
Bob Meighan
Haodeedoo

Post by Haodeedoo »

If the maximum limit for e-filing Federal return is only 5 (per IRS rule), can I buy a new program and efile another 5 federal returns. If so, do I have to uninstall the old program first before installing the newly purchase program on my desktop. I'm doing tax returns for my big family (10). I am using Turbotax Deluxe CD for windows. I live in NY state so does the 5 limit applies too? NY law prohibits a fee for e-filing the state return.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

bmeighan

It is nice to have you contributing to set the record straight. I've been using Turbo Tax since the mid 1990's. I have done up to 4 returns in a year for family members and appreciate the fact that I can e-file all of these Federal returns for free. I use the Deluxe version.

I think you hear complaints because the pricing structure has evolved over the years. At least that is my impression. I'm not referring to the fact that prices have gone up, I'm referring to charges for different aspects of tax filing. This year I paid $19.99 extra to e-file my home state return. I printed my home state daughter's return to avoid a second filing fee. I paid an additional $44.00 to download a second state so that I could do a non MN state return for one of my daughters. That was almost as expensive as buying a second copy of Deluxe. I decided against paying another $19.99 to e-file that one. As a taxpayer I would prefer to file all my state returns electronically because it holds down the cost of government.

A positive note - I had to file an amended return this year due to a Federal Audit. The process was pretty straight forward, even for someone doing it for the first time. I will continue to recommend Turbo Tax to posters on this forum because I believe it is pretty user friendly. I always add a caveat to those recommendations regarding the lack of transparency in costs.

By the way, Turbo Tax print routines are horrible. They print many, many more pages of worksheets than are necessary.