What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chaz

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Post by chaz »

"Gun Games" by Faye Kellerman.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

randomwalk wrote:Now reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson.
That has been on my "to read" list for some time. let us known how you like it.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Precious Blood by Jonathan Harris.
Gordon
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. Wilkerson uses the life stories of three protagonists to illustrate the Great Migration of African-Americans from the South to the North and West in the half-century after World War I. Those three stories are compelling, and Wilkerson sprinkles her narrative with sections describing the broader legal, political, and social issues implicated in the migration. It is not until the epilogue, however, that she provides much in the way of historical and sociological analysis, and I would like to have seen more of that throughout. That said, I heartily recommend the book for anyone interested in this oft-overlooked aspect of the demographic history of 20th-century America.

Now reading Walking with the Wind by John Lewis.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Star Island, by Carl Hiaasen.
Fun read, completely frivolous.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
BertB

Post by BertB »

Well darn! Two books in a row that I did not like.
#1 A Natural Woman: A Memoir by Carole King. I have enjoyed many of the current wave of memoirs by rock era and Hollywood celebs etc. (even liked Rob Lowe's memoir although I don't care for his movie work) but I found myself at an increasing distance from King as my reading of her book progressed. Jeeze, I love her music, though.

#2 Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life by David Treuer. The book did not warm me toward the Indian's current expression in the U.S. I live in Minnesota where Treuer's tribe and band have their rezzes. Again, a sense of more distance at book's end than I had hoped for.

I now begin Joan Didion's Blue Nights, the follow-up to her Year of Magical Thinking.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart by Lawrence Block.

This is my first reading of the "Burglar" series and it is light and entertaining, just like all of Block's books. He certainly knows how to build a charactor.

Ed
Colin

Post by Colin »

"A Dog's Purpose"
Colin
jackpistachio

Post by jackpistachio »

Free to Choose, by Milton Friedman
We're all nuts, but Pistachios are my favorite.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Wuthering Heights
by Emily Bronte. I stayed with it to the end mainly because I was hoping to find out why it was considered a classic. It just seemed stagey, artificial, overwrought, dated. Fiction from long ago probably needs a good intro written "today" to make sense to "today's" readers.
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Time Bomb" by Jonathan Kellerman.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

"Steve Jobs," by Walter Isaacson, a very good book by, IMO, a great biographer who probably could've used more time to gain broader perspective on Jobs, Apple, Pixar, etc. Its essence is "artistic creativity tied to technology," integrated hardware and software reflecting who Jobs was. Setting aside, if you can, his cruelty to his fellow human beings and his failure to admit the anguish and damage it caused, Jobs was the kind of innovator this country and the world needs, where art and technology become one.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Walking with the Wind by John Lewis.

Now reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

A Trace of Smoke by Rebecca Cantrell
Gordon
neo09

Post by neo09 »

bengal22 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Almost finished with Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals. Did not like it as well as his World War II books, but perhaps that's because I've never really been that much into the Civil War. You'd think I'd enjoy it because while I sort of know the names of the battles, I don't really know any details--not even who won.

Am just about to start Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth. It's a book I really ought to like. But it came out when I was a little too old for it. But now that I am older, perhaps I am the right age for it.

About 1/4 of the way through The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation.

Regarding Civil War - North won.
'merica, we always win.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Just starting Money: A Suicide Note by Martin Amis. Looks like it'll be a hoot!
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Stalker" by Faye Kellerman.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Charles Bukowski's Ham on Rye.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

In My Time by Dick Cheney
MP173

Post by MP173 »

The Motive by John Lescroart. Almost gave up on it, but around page 200 it started to roll along.

On a side note...I have written a daily dairy since 1980. Since 2005 I have listed in the front pages each book that was read along with a one or two sentence summary. I am now cataloging all of those books on excel spreadsheet so I have a database of books read. I have thus "recalled" a few authors who were "one hit wonders" for me and it is time to follow up. So far 115 books in 4 years...just finished 2008.

Ed
chaz

Post by chaz »

MP173 wrote:The Motive by John Lescroart. Almost gave up on it, but around page 200 it started to roll along.

On a side note...I have written a daily dairy since 1980. Since 2005 I have listed in the front pages each book that was read along with a one or two sentence summary. I am now cataloging all of those books on excel spreadsheet so I have a database of books read. I have thus "recalled" a few authors who were "one hit wonders" for me and it is time to follow up. So far 115 books in 4 years...just finished 2008.

Ed
I like John Lescroart.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

A short attention span, I guess, because at the moment I'm flipping back and forth between Jeff Shaara's The Final Storm (World War II in the Pacific); Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation; The Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It, by Scott Patterson; and My Man Jeeves, by P. G. Wodehouse. Well, I need some comic relief from the other three.

The Quants is disappointing. It's one of those books that gives you the impression the author doesn't really understand the technical details, and thinks he can make up for it with colorful human stories. This howler appears in the first chapter:
Alpha is a code word for an elusive skill certain individuals are endowed with that enables them to consistently beat the market. It is used in constrast with another Greek term, beta, which is shorthand for plain-vanilla market returns anyone with half a brain can achieve.
I almost stopped reading right there.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I have just finished --

The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery & Endurance in Early America, by Scott Weidensaul.

The Old Northwest, A Chronicle of the Ohio Valley and Beyond, by Frederic Austin Ogg.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
market timer

Post by market timer »

At home: Monetary Theory and Policy, by Carl Walsh
On the subway: Dance, Dance, Dance, by Haruki Murakami

Reading Dance, Dance, Dance, I came across the line: "You gotta dance. As long as the music plays. You gotta dance," a line that has since become associated with the financial crisis thanks to Chuck Prince. This book was published in 1988. Is this the origin of the phrase, or was it in use before then?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I read her first book, Sharp Objects, about six weeks ago. This is her second book, published in 2009. Her most recent book, Gone Girl, has been number one for about the last month on the New York Times Book Review fiction list.

I might add that I checked my library's website yesterday, and Gone Girl had 165 holds on it.

(Edited to add last paragraph.)
Last edited by gkaplan on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

Now reading The Great Bridge by David McCullough.
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Treasure Hunt" by John Lescroart.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

People read only one book at a time? How boring!

I am in two right now:
  • Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout (very first Nero Wolfe mystery)
    A re-reading of A Random Walk Down Wall Street.
I often have one "entertainment" and one "serious" book going at once. Each is a break from then other.

That Nero Wolfe is part of a larger plan -- I am going through ALL the Hercule Poirot and Nero Wolfe books, alternating. I recently finished a re-read of all the Parker books (Richard Stark aka Donald E. Westlake) and a first-time read all of (current) Hamish Macbeth (M. C. Beaton -- new ones still coming out so more to come, pretty much on an annual schedule).

I buy these things outright. Expensive hobby, but I think I will put each set up on eBay as a lot and see what I can do. All except the Parkers. They are keepers.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Bungo wrote:
MP173 wrote:jaia:

I read Caro's book also and agree. Very interesting book. He was a very complex man.

Ed
Some years ago I read Caro's "The Power Broker," which is a biography of Robert Moses, probably the single individual who has had the most impact on the physical development of New York City and its environs. It was a fascinating story on many levels, and one of the best biographies I've ever read. Very highly recommended.

I'll get to the LBJ series one of these days, but have to admit I'm daunted by the sheer number of pages to be conquered in that mountain. Also, I was waiting for the 4th and what I thought was to be the final volume to be published. Now it seems there's going to be a 5th, assuming Caro lives long enough to finish it!
Bungo,

Thanks for recommendation. I am about 1/3 through Power Broker and think it is fascinating.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bertilak wrote:People read only one book at a time? How boring!

I am in two right now:
Some posters here have talked about reading four or five at a time. I once read four at the same time because the one I'd started I liked so much I couldn't stop and the other three had come in about the same time from the library and none could be renewed because of waiting lists. It felt like required reading in college and I ended up enjoying none and got the storylines and some information in two of them mixed up, partly because they sometimes referred to each other. I think two at a time is best for me.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Fallible wrote:

I am in two right now:
Some posters here have talked about reading four or five at a time. I once read four at the same time because the one I'd started I liked so much I couldn't stop and the other three had come in about the same time from the library and none could be renewed because of waiting lists. It felt like required reading in college and I ended up enjoying none and got the storylines and some information in two of them mixed up, partly because they sometimes referred to each other. I think two at a time is best for me.
I limit myself to one at a time.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:

I am in two right now:
... I think two at a time is best for me.
Agree: one is better than two. :thumbsup
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

bengal22 wrote: Bungo,

Thanks for recommendation. I am about 1/3 through Power Broker and think it is fascinating.
I am 1/3rd through Power Broker as well. :happy
Here I was thinking politicians before 1945-50 were not as corrupt. I guess it's human nature.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Spencerville by Nelson DeMille...pretty good look at returning home to a rural area and finding corruption.

Also 'reading' "Trackside around Chicago 1957-1965 with George G. Speir" by Edward M. DeRouin. This is a 128 page all color photography book with extended captians featuring the photography of George Speir of railroads in the Chicago area during the late 50's/early 60's. One of my hobbies is railroading and it's history and this is an excellent look at railroading and the Chicago landscape 50 years ago.

Ed
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:

I am in two right now:
More than one and I become confused :( , a sign of old age?

I just finished George Rogers Clark's Memoir: The Conquest of the Illinois.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Triumph of the Optimists: 101 Years of Global Investment Returns, by Elroy Dimson, Paul Marsh and Mike Staunton.
nwrolla

Post by nwrolla »

Just finished A dance with dragons, the 5th book in the game of thrones series.
Found a new book at the bookstore the other day, The Black Banners - http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Banners ... 0393079422

So far 50 pages in it is a very interesting read. I have high hopes
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Devil's Waltz" by Jonathan Kellerman.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

ruralavalon wrote:
Fallible wrote:
chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:

I am in two right now:
More than one and I become confused :( , a sign of old age?
Maybe, but I've always been a little confused. :D
bdwilliams

Post by bdwilliams »

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished The Great Bridge by David McCullough.

Now reading Mudbound by Hillary Jordan.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Need some recommendations...getting a bit tired of the mystery novels (Connolly, Connelly, DeMille, Block, Child, etc). Nothing against these authors, but I am needing a little stimulation.

Do not really want to read any political books...turned off/burned out at this stage, but am looking for a good biography/autobiography.

Any suggestions?

Ed
yobria

Post by yobria »

^^ Just finished Blood, Bones, and Butter, a chef's memoir. Normally wouldn't read this kind of thing, but Gabrielle Hamilton is a fantastic writer.
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

MP173 wrote:Any suggestions?
A few of my favorite non-political biographies: Homer Hickam's Rocket Boys, Walter Isaacson's Einstein, and Rebecca Skloot's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Einstein will work!

Thanks for the suggestion....keep the recommendations coming please.

ed
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Artists in Crime by Ngaio Marsh
Gordon
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

MP173 wrote:Einstein will work!

Thanks for the suggestion....keep the recommendations coming please.

ed
Could not agree more with "Einstein." Another good one from Isaacson is "Ben Franklin."
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Mudbound by Hillary Jordan.

Now reading The House of Morgan by Ron Chernow.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

William Dunham, Journey Through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics. A nice tour of some highlights from the past 3000 years of mathematical discovery. Part biography and part mathematical exposition (complete with statements and proofs of many classic theorems), it is accessible to anyone who remembers high school algebra and geometry, and a bit of calculus.

I'm about halfway through the book, in the chapter covering Isaac Newton. The theorem highlighted in this chapter is his deft use of the binomial series to calculate pi to 20+ digits (in the 1660s!), a huge leap forward in accuracy from what had been possible up to that time. In his write-up of these results, he said parenthetically, "I am ashamed to tell you to how many places of figures I carried these computations, having no other business at the time."

Another nice quote from this chapter:

"On another occasion, curious about the effect of the eyeball's shape in distorting and altering vision, he devised a particularly gruesome experiment with himself as subject. As Newton described it, he took a small stick, or 'bodkin,' and pushed it
betwixt my eye and ye bone as neare to ye backside of my eye as I could, and pressing my eye with ye end of it ... there appeared severall white, darke, and coloured circles, which circles were plainest when I continued to rub my eye with a point of ye bodkin...
This disgusting procedure was illustrated by a drawing in Newton's hand showing the stick sliding under and behind his distorted eyeball, nicely labeled with letters from a to g. Clearly, this was no ordinary undergraduate."

Anecdotes like this make me want to follow up by reading a biography of Newton. Can anyone recommend a good one? I see that James Gleick has written one in 2004.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

MP173 wrote:Need some recommendations...getting a bit tired of the mystery novels (Connolly, Connelly, DeMille, Block, Child, etc). Nothing against these authors, but I am needing a little stimulation.

Do not really want to read any political books...turned off/burned out at this stage, but am looking for a good biography/autobiography.

Any suggestions?

Ed
excellent bio of bonhoeffer just came out about year ago. fascinating.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley