Archived master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
AzWDC

Re: Washington DC Area Bogleheads

Post by AzWDC »

Hi Washingtonians -
Are we having a chapter meeting Sunday May 20th?
ps this is my first post, but I did meet you all in January.
AzWDC
bobcat2

Meeting this Sunday at 2 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

AzWDC wrote:Hi Washingtonians -
Are we having a chapter meeting Sunday May 20th?
ps this is my first post, but I did meet you all in January.
AzWDC
Yes - We are meeting this coming Sunday May 20 at 2 PM at the usual place. Many previous posts on this thread have directions for getting to the Washington Plaza Hotel by car or Metro.

If you join the local group we send out two emails to local group members the week before the meeting informing everyone about the meeting. You can join the local group at the following link.
http://finance.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gro ... =dir&slk=4

At this point there are no specific topics. If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Diehards page.

BobK
Last edited by bobcat2 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
bobcat2

Re: Meeting this Sunday at 2 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

We are meeting this coming Sunday July 15 at 2 PM at the usual place. Many previous posts on this thread have directions for getting to the Washington Plaza Hotel by car or Metro.
Link to directions.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... t#p1230540

If you join the local group we send out two emails to local group members the week before the meeting informing everyone about the meeting. You can join the local group at the following link.
http://finance.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gro ... =dir&slk=4

At this point there are no specific topics. If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Diehards page.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

To all DC Area Bogleheads,

Starting with our next local Bogleheads meeting (September 16, 2012) the time will change to 1 - 3PM, instead of 2 - 4PM.

After our July 15, 2012 meeting, the restaurant manager asked if we could move our starting time one hour earlier to allow them enough time, after we leave, to set up for their dinner crowd.

So, all of our future local DC Area Bogleheads meetings, will be from 1PM to 3PM, instead of 2PM to 4PM. The location will remain the same:

Washington Plaza Hotel
10 Thomas Circle, NW
Washington, DC 200005
(In the back part of the restaurant).

Remember, we meet on the third Sunday of every odd-numbered month.

Ed
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

We have received some misleading calendar invitations for the next D.C. Bogleheads meeting. The meeting will take place on Sunday, 16 September, 1pm-3pm (time change from before).

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Victoria is right. Our Sunday meetings will no longer be from 2-4, but from now on will be from 1-3. This is at the request of the manager of the restaurant who needs the period from 3:30 - 5:00 to prepare the restaurant for the evening meal. Also the blizzard of erroneous calendar notifications should have stopped since Yahoo Groups has upgraded the calendar function since July. At least I hope they have stopped. :happy But the change over has not exactly been glitch free. :D

The first part of this Sunday's meeting will be devoted to two informative presentations made at the 2012 Retirement Research Consortium (RRC) Conference held in early August in downtown Washington. Nobel Laureate Robert Merton's presentation on best practices for household retirement planning and Sita Slavov's presentation on deciding if and how long you should delay taking Social Security benefits.

Here is a link to Merton's presentation slides. https://www.nber.org/programs/ag/rrc/rr ... tation.pdf

Here is a link to Sita Slavov's presentation slides. https://www.nber.org/programs/ag/rrc/rr ... %203.3.pdf

Here is a link to a summary of the Slavov and Shoven paper.
https://www.nber.org/programs/ag/rrc/rr ... Slavov.pdf

I think reviewing and discussing these presentations will be both very interesting and very informative.

Note to those who haven't been to prior meetings - We meet in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

BobK
Dealmaster00

Post by Dealmaster00 »

cool - i think pittsburgh area bogleheads should start a similar meetup! :) i suppose being a newer boglehead should not make me hesitate to organize such an event..

edit - oh, i see this is a dedicated forum for this (just saw on frontpage). replied to pgh chapter topic :)
SGM

Post by SGM »

BobK,
Good meeting. I have a much better understanding of Merton's presentation.

Some DC Bogleheads may be interested in a presentation on Oct 20 from 930-1200 "Securing your Lifetime Income Stream," at the Alexandria Va Marriot Courtyard by Robert Carlson of the Retirement Watch website . It is not a freebee and will cost from $28-$38 depending when you register. the talk is sponsored by Better Investing ( mag of NAIC) and AAII. He is currently chairman of the Bd of Trustees of the Fairfax County Employee's Retirement System which has $3 billion in assets. It is the Saturday after the BH meeting in Philadelphia.

I do not know much about him, but one of his books is in a bibliography in the Wiki. Any feedback is welcome.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BobK,

Thank you for a fantastic presentation!

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

VictoriaF wrote:BobK,

Thank you for a fantastic presentation!

Victoria
I agree!
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Thanks guys,

Here's a video of Merton giving a very similar talk at MIT last year. This talk covers more than his talk in DC last month. So you can start at the 16 minute mark to see the part that's very similar to his DC presentation. This presentation isn't as long as it looks, because people at MIT asked lots of questions after Merton's presentation.

Link. http://video.mit.edu/watch/lunch-and-ke ... ance-6878/

And here is a link to the Squared Away blog at the Boston College Center for Retirement Research. Lot's of good short articles on retirement including summaries of many of the presentations made at the Retirement Research Consortium Conference last month.
http://fsp.bc.edu/squared-away-blog/

Given the quality of the material being covered, it would have been hard to screw up today's presentation. :wink:

BobK
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

We are having the next meeting this Sunday, 18 November 2012, same place, recently changed time (1300-1500).

BobK (bobcat2),
Are you planning to come to this meeting? If yes, can we discuss your recent post Things I learned about finance this year? Your four learned/reviewed topics are as follows:
bobcat2 wrote:1) Real life annuities allow one to price retirement.
2) The level of real interest rates is of critical importance when making household financial decisions.
3) Being willing to concede retirement outcomes at the high end of your distribution of investment outcomes can buy you a lot in terms of meeting your retirement income goal.
4) The probability of being alive in a given retirement year is an important consideration when deciding how much to plan to spend in a given retirement year.
I would like to get clarification on #3, i.e., whether this only implies buying an SPIA, or there is more to it? As for #4, considering that the probability of surviving at each advancing age is decreasing, how practically to reflect it in one's financial planning? This also seems at odds with #3, i.e., if in the extreme one transfers all assets into real income, then there is no difference between the age of 79 and the age of 99.

I also expect that once we start discussing these topics, many other interesting comments will come up.

Thanks,
Victoria
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

1) Real life annuities allow one to price retirement.
2) The level of real interest rates is of critical importance when making household financial decisions.
3) Being willing to concede retirement outcomes at the high end of your distribution of investment outcomes can buy you a lot in terms of meeting your retirement income goal.
4) The probability of being alive in a given retirement year is an important consideration when deciding how much to plan to spend in a given retirement year.

I would like to get clarification on #3, i.e., whether this only implies buying an SPIA, or there is more to it?
I also expect that once we start discussing these topics, many other interesting comments will come up.

Thanks,
Victoria
Hi Victoria,
I plan to be there tomorrow. I have felt all along that #3 is at least as important as the other three points, but that it in addition is the hardest point for most people to understand - and that includes me. :D

Bob
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

I don't know if the person who posed the question for his personal financial situation in the last meeting has read the link below:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... ing-112012

Perhaps, he knows all this already and maybe even read it but just posting for others' reference.
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

was there a meeting in Jan already? I assume the next one will be in march, right?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BornInCA wrote:was there a meeting in Jan already? I assume the next one will be in march, right?
Right, on 17 March.

Victoria
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

VictoriaF wrote: Right, on 17 March.

Victoria
I guess we should wear green? :moneybag

Brad
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

baw703916 wrote:

Victoria

Brad
Right. But there will also be crowds. Do you think Bob K may change the date as he did with the Inauguration?

Victoria
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

VictoriaF wrote:
baw703916 wrote:

Victoria

Brad
Right. But there will also be crowds. Do you think Bob K may change the date as he did with the Inauguration?

Victoria
We discussed this at the January meeting and decided to keep the March 17 meeting as scheduled.

Hope to see you both on St. Patricks Day.

Ed
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Rager1 wrote:We discussed this at the January meeting and decided to keep the March 17 meeting as scheduled.

Hope to see you both on St. Patricks Day.

Ed
Thank you, Ed. See you in March,

Victoria
bobcat2

Next Meeting is Sunday, March 17, from 1-3 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 1-3 PM, Sunday, March 17, in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

Here is a link to a post with directions to the hotel.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... s#p1276954

I am preparing two short topic presentations.

The first is on the long-term return of stocks and bonds globally since 1900.

The second has two parts. The first part is on the worth of Social Security and Medicare benefits to typical recipients. The second part is an analysis of the value of different Social Security benefit delay strategies depending on the level of real interest rates and how long you expect to receive benefits.

If you have additional topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Diehards page on Yahoo.

BobK
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

any referrals to some good CPAs/tax advisors would be helpful

thanks in advance!!!
bobcat2

Next Meeting is Sunday, May 19, from 1-3 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 1-3 PM, Sunday, May 19, in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Diehards page on Yahoo.

BobK
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

what happened to the posts since the last meeting (May 2013)?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Posts made on May 19th (when you had the meeting), are gone due to a server problem. They'll need to be reposted, sorry. :(

See: reloaded [Forum and wiki were offline]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Here's a repost of the link to the Frontline Program that we discussed at the May 19 meeting.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... nt-gamble/

It's quite an eye opener!

Ed
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

Reposted links:
Scottevest
Missile Guidance System -- scroll down close to the bottom and download "guidance.wav" file. I think it's funnier when you hear it than when you read it
Laura

Post by Laura »

When is the next meeting?

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Laura wrote:When is the next meeting?

Laura
Sunday, 21 July. Hope you can make it,

Victoria
selftalk

dc chapter meeting

Post by selftalk »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Can someone tell me when, where and at what time is the next Bogleheads Washington D.C. meeting?
CABob

Re: dc chapter meeting

Post by CABob »

EDIT: Ignore this message, situation fixed.

This should probably have been posted on the local chapters board. In any case I suggest you look at http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=831 and send a PM to someone on that list.
Last edited by CABob on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I moved the thread into here.

Can someone assist selftalk?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

selftalk wrote:[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Can someone tell me when, where and at what time is the next Bogleheads Washington D.C. meeting?
The next DC meeting will be on Sunday, July 21, 2013 from 1-3PM at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC. We meet in the back part of the restaurant.

Our meeting schedule is every odd numbered month, on the third Sunday, at the time and location above.

Ed
BillyG

Post by BillyG »

I'll be out of town for this one, like the last. Too bad - I hope to catch up in September.

Billy
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

BillyG wrote:I'll be out of town for this one, like the last. Too bad - I hope to catch up in September.

Billy
For the record, the September meeting will be on Sunday, September 15, 2013.

Same time, same place.

Ed
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Rager1 wrote:The next DC meeting will be on Sunday, July 21, 2013 from 1-3PM at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC. We meet in the back part of the restaurant.

Our meeting schedule is every odd numbered month, on the third Sunday, at the time and location above.

Ed
A reminder.

Victoria
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Hi guys. I'll be in the area and would like to attend with a colleague or two that might also be interested in learning the boglehead philosophy (or just hear from other boglehead folks).

Is that ok?

Does it cost much to attend the meeting?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

StormShadow wrote:Hi guys. I'll be in the area and would like to attend with a colleague or two that might also be interested in learning the boglehead philosophy (or just hear from other boglehead folks).

Is that ok?

Does it cost much to attend the meeting?
It's perfectly OK--we have some new people at virtually every meeting. We meet at a restaurant for lunch, and so the cost is only for your meals.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Rager1 wrote:
BillyG wrote:I'll be out of town for this one, like the last. Too bad - I hope to catch up in September.

Billy
For the record, the September meeting will be on Sunday, September 15, 2013.

Same time, same place.

Ed
A reminder: we are meeting this Sunday, 15 September,

Victoria
bobcat2

Re: Next Meeting is Sunday, May 19, from 1-3 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 1-3 PM, Sunday, September 15, in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Diehards page on Yahoo.

I send out email reminders of our local meeting the week before the meeting via our Yahoo Groups page. Recently Yahoo upgraded their Yahoo Groups service. Typically this means they made it worse. This most recent upgrade is no exception to that general rule. I am no longer receiving the email reminders, but Victoria is receiving them. Are other DC members receiving the reminders this week? Please post here whether you have received or not received the reminders this week.

In checking the feedback section for Yahoo Group moderators I see that this now appears to be a widespread problem for Yahoo Groups since the "upgrade". I have sent my "helpful comments" on this issue and another faux pas of the latest upgrade to the Yahoo Groups feedback forum. :)

BobK
SGM

Post by SGM »

Bob, did you go to the retirement symposium this summer? If so, can you summarize any important ideas from the symposium this Sunday?
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

SGM wrote:Bob, did you go to the retirement symposium this summer? If so, can you summarize any important ideas from the symposium this Sunday?
I did go & I will try to summarize Sunday.

Bob
bobcat2

Re: Next Meeting is Sunday, November 17, from 1-3 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 1-3 PM, Sunday, November 17, in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

BobK
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Philly chapter has formally acknowledged grabiner's last meeting and is returning him back to your area. Subject: Philly Chapter meeting - 9 Nov 2013
grabiner wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Also discussed:

grabiner was unable to attend the Philly chapter meeting due to a personal obligation. We conveyed the status of his recent home purchase in the Washington D.C. area, which will be documented in a forthcoming thread. He will return to the Bogleheads D.C. chapter for future meetings. (Thanks for everything you've done.)
And thanks to all of you as well; I'll keep in touch with the Philly chapter in case I happen to be in Pennsylvania when you meet. (I am moving about 120 miles from the regular meeting place, so I won't be able to join you regularly.)
I don't know if he can attend this meeting, but we (Philly chapter) have none scheduled until Feb 2014.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote:The Philly chapter has formally acknowledged grabiner's last meeting and is returning him back to your area. Subject: Philly Chapter meeting - 9 Nov 2013
grabiner wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Also discussed:

grabiner was unable to attend the Philly chapter meeting due to a personal obligation. We conveyed the status of his recent home purchase in the Washington D.C. area, which will be documented in a forthcoming thread. He will return to the Bogleheads D.C. chapter for future meetings. (Thanks for everything you've done.)
And thanks to all of you as well; I'll keep in touch with the Philly chapter in case I happen to be in Pennsylvania when you meet. (I am moving about 120 miles from the regular meeting place, so I won't be able to join you regularly.)
I don't know if he can attend this meeting, but we (Philly chapter) have none scheduled until Feb 2014.
Just as the U.S. capital has moved from Philadelphia to D.C. so does Grabiner.

Victoria
VictoriaF

MARC now runs on weekends

Post by VictoriaF »

On 7 December, MARC started running on weekends. Maryland Diehards may consider it as another option for getting to our meetings.

Victoria
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: MARC now runs on weekends

Post by grabiner »

VictoriaF wrote:On 7 December, MARC started running on weekends. Maryland Diehards may consider it as another option for getting to our meetings.
I updated the transit directions in the first post; the train schedule is good for a 1:00-3:00 meeting.
Wiki David Grabiner
dcrefugee

Post by dcrefugee »

Greetings and Happy New Year! Is there still a regular DC group that meets and if so when/ where?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dcrefugee wrote:Greetings and Happy New Year! Is there still a regular DC group that meets and if so when/ where?
Yes, we meet regularly on the 3rd Sundays of odd numbered months. The next meeting is on 19 January 2014, a week from tomorrow, at 1:00-3:00pm. The place is the restaurant at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle, Washington, D.C. Please see the 1st message in this thread for the details.

Happy New Year!

Victoria
furwut

Post by furwut »

What is covered at the meetings? Is there a presentation? I live nearby.