Non frugal vice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
VictoriaF

Re: Non frugal vice

Post by VictoriaF »

Petrocelli wrote:I will come back to a point I made not-so-artfully before.

Spending money is not a vice. Money is meant to be spent.

As an example, I spend many thousands of dollars a year on golf. Yet, regardless of how much money I spend, golf itself is not a vice. Indeed, I don't see how exercise can ever be a vice.

In contrast, when I am in Vegas at a poker table at 4 in the morning, bleary eyed, and on my 10th gin and tonic, I realize that's a vice.

Am I missing something, or have the Bogleheads now deemed spending money on hobbies a "vice"?
Non frugal vice?
Dick Chaney and Joe Biden do not strike me as frugal. Al Gore possibly was.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Not much, really, aside from a vacation trip every 8 years or so. Drive a 15-year-old car, don't eat out or go to shows or really do anything that costs money. Maybe I'll find some vice someday, for now I just save as much as I can.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:Not much, really, aside from a vacation trip every 8 years or so. Drive a 15-year-old car, don't eat out or go to shows or really do anything that costs money. Maybe I'll find some vice someday, for now I just save as much as I can.
That's not only not a vice, but it's not even "non frugal."
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Petrocelli wrote:That's not only not a vice, but it's not even "non frugal."
Well, true. I am thinking about buying a new car though! 2012 Honda Fit, would be sweet. I'd love to have one but I don't think I'll be able to convince myself to pull the trigger.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Petrocelli wrote:
sunnyday wrote:Not really a vice, but along the lines of where not to go cheap on:

Healthy living:

I spend a bunch on healthy foods and fitness activities -- bikes, paddleboards, tennis gear, sports leagues. Cool thing about it, is that it will likely have a much better ROI when I'm older than my portfolio :sharebeer
I think we need a defintion of vice.

"1. an immoral or evil habit or practice. Synonyms: fault, failing, foible, weakness. Antonyms: virtue.

OK, I got it-- my financial advisor!
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.
upsydaisy

Post by upsydaisy »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:
Well, true. I am thinking about buying a new car though! 2012 Honda Fit, would be sweet. I'd love to have one but I don't think I'll be able to convince myself to pull the trigger.
If it helps, we bought a 2008 Fit and LOVE IT. Amazingly small on the outside, huge on the inside (Tardis-like, if you're a Dr Who fan), really efficient, a fun drive and IMHO, not a bad looking car at all. If you buy, I would pay the extra $1k or so to get the 'sport package' (we did and it seems to help with used market value). I would actually happily buy a '12 Fit, except for the fact that I can't possibly justify it due to how great the '08 one still is.

(Ps you do know they are doing an electric one next year, right? That's going to be hard to resist..)
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

Our non-frugal vice is Horses. We do trail riding and it's a lot of fun. Financially sound, not so much. Horses, are similar to owning a boat, they're a large hole where you throw money in order to watch it disappear past the Schwarzschild radius with a distinct pop.
wwross

Post by wwross »

India Pale Ale at the local market turned beer-lover's paradise.