How To Behave Irrationally (Free Duke U Online Course)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
natureexplorer

How To Behave Irrationally (Free Duke U Online Course)

Post by natureexplorer »

chaz

Re: How To Behave Irrationally (Free Duke U Online Course)

Post by chaz »

Interesting course.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Dan Ariely's free on-line course

Post by VictoriaF »

Thank you. I have signed up for the course that will be offered on the Coursera web site. From the course description:
Dan Ariely wrote:Next Session: 25 March 2013 (6 weeks)
Workload: 7-10 hours/week

This class has two main goals:
1. To introduce you to the range of cases where people (consumers, investors, managers, and significant others) make decisions that are inconsistent with standard economic theory and the assumptions of rational decision making. This is the lens of behavioral economics.
2. To help you think creatively about the applications of behavioral economic principles for the development of new products, technology based products, public policies, and to understand how business and social policy strategies could be modified with a deeper understanding of the effects these principles have on employees and customers.
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

There are many more free courses on Coursera from popular universities to spice up your knowledge.
SunDevil

Post by SunDevil »

Looks cool; I just signed up. Thanks for the link!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

natureexplorer wrote:http://youtu.be/dzSfmkbQClk
All signed up. I like the course's understated recommended background: "Curiosity about human nature."

Thanks for the link (thanks to VictoriaF for adding Ariely and the course description). Nice little video, too. Would love to join him in the wine-tasting. :)
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible wrote:
All signed up. I like the course's understated recommended background: "Curiosity about human nature."

Thanks for the link (thanks to VictoriaF for adding Ariely and the course description). Nice little video, too. Would love to join him in the wine-tasting. :)
The wine reminded me one of Ariely's experiments where he was serving four types of "exotic" beers. He probably will not be able to get away with another similar experiment; he is too famous now.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:

The wine reminded me one of Ariely's experiments where he was serving four types of "exotic" beers. He probably will not be able to get away with another similar experiment; he is too famous now.

Victoria
Right and that's a very interesting observation. If I were in one of his experiments, I'd know something was up, although i still wouldn't know what. But would such wariness affect the experiment?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Victoria
Right and that's a very interesting observation. If I were in one of his experiments, I'd know something was up, although i still wouldn't know what. But would such wariness affect the experiment?
Ariely is really really clever. He may design an experiment specifically related to people who know him. You and I could volunteer. I am half-joking; Ariely might involve the students of his March 2013 class in some of his experiments.

Victoria
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:...
Ariely is really really clever. He may design an experiment specifically related to people who know him. You and I could volunteer. I am half-joking; Ariely might involve the students of his March 2013 class in some of his experiments.
I hope he does! :D Wish the course weren't so many months off. :(
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

Ariely is indeed clever--I suspect those that sign up will be the subjects of his next book. Opening up the class gives Ariely a substantial population to test. Would not surprise me that if were given different information to analyze and different assignments. I've read two of his books and I can't resist becoming another guinea pig. Thanks for posting this.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Just read an interesting article about online courses, including a mention of Coursera, in today's New York Times. I don't think it'll apply to Ariely's course, but here's the gist of it (although the entire article should be read to fully appreciate his point):

"Online education is a one-size-fits-all endeavor. It tends to be a monologue and not a real dialogue. The Internet teacher, even one who responds to students via e-mail, can never have the immediacy of contact that the teacher on the scene can, with his sensitivity to unspoken moods and enthusiasms."

I'm sure that's true, but based on my experiences I think it depends on how good the "teacher on the scene" is, and it depends on the student. I was very inspired by only two college professors and had little interaction with them in class and almost never asked questions; I just loved what they had to say.

The link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/20/opini ... ml?_r=1&hp
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible,

Thank you for the article. I agree with its sentiment. An online course is very different from a personal interaction; there is something about being in the physical proximity of another human (professor) and many other humans (other students) that cannot be replicated online.

The article mentions that monologue-like courses are similar to reading a book. The comparison is good with respect to the single-directionality of information. But a book actually has some advantages over a video lecture. For example, with a book one can slow down or speed up, it is easy to revisit some material, and, my favorite, one can make notes on the margins.

Given a choice, I would have taken Ariely's live class. Under the circumstances an online version is better than nothing.

Victoria
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

I am so excited about Coursera which I just learned about. I signed up for a course which has date TBD. From what I can tell although you do it at your own pace, it is indeed given along a period of time with weekly lectures, etc. The big universities have jumped in, which I presume means they endorse it. Already a whole bunch of college profs are yelling that this is not good because it doesn't have 1 on 1 discussion. That's true. I point out that neither do large lecture classes, which these will one day replace. It is one way to get at the high costs of education.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Why do we wear t-shirts with a polo pony on them?
SGM

Post by SGM »

I just signed on to coursera for a Science Fiction course. The professor appears to be outstanding to me, after looking at the first video clip. The price is right and one can drop out at will.

I was attracted to this site, partially because I have been watching the UVa situation and the board of visitor's desire for UVa to get involved in online teaching. Apparently the business school was independently developing a course in association with the site and stepped up their efforts immediately after the announced resignation of the president, over lack of movement in this direction. UVa already now has several courses on this site, and president Sulivan has been restored to office.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain