New Hampshire/Maine Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
jimcrawford01

New Hampshire/Maine Local Chapter

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Hello Bogleheads

My name is Jim Crawford and I live in Center Conway, NH.

I recently volunteered to be the Coordinator for a new Local Boglehead Chapter and Mel L has been kind enough to set it up for us. We have named it the NH/ME Local Chapter (LC) but I don’t think that it precludes anyone from participating.

My first Q to Mel was, “What is it exactly that a LC Coordinator does?” We shall see.

My first order of business is to create a list of folks who have an interest and then recruit to add to that list. That task begins with this message. Who is out there? Where are you located?

At Mel’s suggestion, I have created a dedicated email account for private email.

jimcrawford36@yahoo.com

However, I would expect most communication to be on this LC site. I guess?

My second order of business is to ask you, the members, what you would like to see the LC accomplish?

So, …

Jim
yahoo

Re: New Hampshire/Maine Local Chapter

Post by yahoo »

I'm in. I live in west central NH near lake sunapee
rasberry

Post by rasberry »

Just seeing this now. I live in Southern Maine, near Portland.

R
scone

Post by scone »

Hi there! I'd be interested in learning more. I live in Amherst, NH. What exactly does a local chapter do? :)
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
LH

Post by LH »

A few thoughts in random order

I started mine by having everyone put in their actual asset allocation ( percentages not dollars of course) as well as their proposed asset allocation if they were not already in one and had an idea of what they were planning.

Did the 30'seconds or somrountable introduction by everyone.

Had a handout with everyone's portfolio in it. Went around table, had group answer questions about portfolio, suggestions etc.

Had a specific talk prepared on a subject, say reits as an asset class, which I gave. I think I got another person to give a topic by second meeting. (always try to farm presentations out if possible, lessens work on you, and others may knows as much/more than you/different things than you, but it's often hard to get others to do,because it's like homework essentially, a chore).

Encouraged people to bring handouts for minitopics, of 5 minutes or so, that would be scheduled if people had them, followed by discussion. Basically encouraging lower cost to presenter content, than a more formal topic.

A second formal topic if possible.

Then a general discussion at end.

Basically, free floating discussion, with a format overlaying it.

Meetings lasted 2 hours about, at a restaurant.

Group size is important. 10 or so people is a good size for the ad hoc, discussion encouraged, and frequent round table format to address individual questions, that i used. Roundtable here means go to each person specifically in order. Much higher means a different format, or basically little round table, more formal presentations. Or necessitates breaking into subgroups, which implies dedicated help.

Assumed, and explicitly stated in initial email when they joined the group, that they were familiar with the basics, and/or accepted the basic boglehead premise, ie did not want a jim cramer investor coming to debate basic precepts at every meeting. Just my approach. Having someone wanting to debate the merits of say att vs Verizon, individual stock picking, wrong meeting.

I would try to aim for 6-10 people at meeting, which implies 12-20 on mailing list depending on interest.

Would not advertise unless needed a few more, so did not have to advertise much

Pm and introduce yourself to a few other leaders as another leader, to get on their email list. Steal their content ideas : )

Good luck : )
yahoo

Post by yahoo »

I think we could talk about many different Financial planning topics:
Long term care
Asset allocation
Asset protection
Reverse mortgages
When to take Soc Sec
Portfolios for drawing down your funds
Funding College
Getting out and staying out of debt
fishing
golf
sports
etc......
dr12

Post by dr12 »

I'm in.

I live in Nashua, NH.
jojay

Post by jojay »

I live in Salem.
Topic Author
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Dr12 and jojay

Please email me at

jimcrawford36@yahoo.com

Need

first name
Email address
City

I private mailed you but no response.

Jim
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

I'm interested. I'm in Nashua.

Hopefully you can make a go with it.

Best Regards,
Maria
Topic Author
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Hi Maria

I need you town and email address and I will add you to the list.

Plz reply to:

jimcrawford36@yahoo.com

Thanx.

Jim
geekpryde

Post by geekpryde »

I also live in Southern Maine, near Portland.

email sent to jimcrawford36@yahoo.com.