Hair clippers? Any self-barbers out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Hair clippers? Any self-barbers out there?

Post by snyder66 »

I'm looking for a good set of hairclippers. I like to keep my hair trimmed to a 1, especially in the summer. Just looking for a solid set. Thanks
G-Money

Re: Hair clippers? Any self-barbers out there?

Post by G-Money »

Oster Classic 76.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
rdmayo21

Post by rdmayo21 »

Got to go with Wahl.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Being previous military I tried this, it didn't work out for me. Im back to the barber monthly.
gasman

Post by gasman »

My wife is my private barber. Wahl #2.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I shave off all my body hair every six months, although my wife has to take care of my back.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
CABob

Post by CABob »

I'm not comfortable giving myself a haircut. I just can't see or reach all that needs to be done. I do sometimes use this Remington for an in-between haircut trim.
http://www.remingtonproducts.com/mens/G ... ipper.aspx
Bob
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Andis ProMotor, Wally-World sells them.
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
danieljquirk

Post by danieljquirk »

I use a Whal, which I purchased in college over 15 years ago. I purchased the slightly longer 1.25 inch attachment about a year ago--good decision. Allows you to go a little longer than the normal buzz-cut look with the shorter attachments.

I highly recommend cutting your own hair. Very convenient and inexpensive. As you're learning, you want to err on the side of having it too long rather than too short.

I think the savings from not going to the barber will probably add a basis point or two to my portfolio over the next 50 years, although my lack of spending will probably reduce the GDP multiplier effect so it may be a wash. :sharebeer
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

Wahl. Last 32 years as a self barber. :moneybag
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Petrocelli wrote:I shave off all my body hair every six months, although my wife has to take care of my back.
True love :sharebeer
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Vanfan

Post by Vanfan »

The Wahl Peanut is great. It's a clipper shaped like a peanut.
peppers

Post by peppers »

My wife uses the Wahl to cut my hair. Since most of my hairline is in full retreat, it takes no time at all to do.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

For 50+ years, I used scissors for my hair and beard. No way I'd go to a barber after their prices spiralled above $.75. I also cut my wife's hair and, for a time, my mother's. However, I recently bought a Remington cordless beard trimmer, and it works pretty well -- just on my beard, of course. I suggested using it on my wife's hair, too, but she didn't take me seriously. Wahl, you say? Maybe I should try one of those ...
Greg, retired 8/10.
flushIan

Post by flushIan »

I've been using the "Balding" clippper (but I don't go that short!) from Wahl's professional line for about the past four years, using it about every two weeks. It's held up well, and the only thing I've done is to spray some lubricant on it after (almost) every use.

Here are Wahl's professional clippers:
http://wahlpro.com/
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

Petrocelli wrote:I shave off all my body hair every six months, although my wife has to take care of my back.
Interesting. Does your back hair grow back with a stubble? MY DH wants to remove his back hair before we go to an important family vacation this summer, but I never thought of just shaving it off. I asumed he'd need some expensive/painful wax procedure.

Anyone else want to share tips for removing back hair for men?! (Feel free to message privately if you don't want to share; really appreciate it.) Fortunately I love his chest hair - but I'm also not so fond of the caveman-back-look! :)
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I've been using a $20-25 Wahl for a little over a year. Haircuts at the barber in my area are $12 plus tip. Just too expensive for a cheap person like me. Only thing is I need to keep it really short or it will look really bad. With some practice you can get your hair to look OK; it will never look like a barber did it. Hardest part is the back of your head. It would help if you had an understanding wife/girlfriend do the back for you.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

I thought that home haircutting would give inferior results and or be too hard but I finally gave t a try starting a year ago. It is quick and easy and at least for short haircuts (#7 blade) looks the same as the barber's version. I do it every 2 weeks so I never look like a need a haircut.
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Using the same Wahl clippers with the same blades for the past 15 years. Never had a single problem. I just oil the blades once or twice a year.
dbonnett

Post by dbonnett »

Every hair cut that I received in the mid 60s, my wife had to even out with scissors.
Then started to have her start from the beginning with scissors. Rocky at first, but then
much better. For the last 10 years she has been using an Oster professional dog clipper to keep my hair short
to hide the gray and a receding hair line. Use an attachment to raise blade level to avoid skin head look.
stev

Post by stev »

Might check out a Flowbee. Amazon has them, pricey at a $105. Might be cheaper on ebay?
I have and use a Flowbee.
StoneReader

Post by StoneReader »

I've used my original Flowbee for 15 years after I got tired bothering my wife and waiting sometimes days for her to give me a haircut. It only took a few times to perfect the technique so that the haircut looked good. Now I can do it in 10 minutes from opening up its box to putting it away. We have a central vacuum which makes the Flowbee easy to set up since you don't have to haul out your vacuum cleaner.

Besides money, the Flowbee saves a lot of time -- no trips to the barber and waiting after you get there. You can buy one factory direct from Flowbee for $80. http://www.flowbee.com/order_page.htm
Mr Grumpy

Post by Mr Grumpy »

The Wahl. My wife has been doing my hair for about 15 years. I was ready to give her a tip on one occasion, but she made an inappropriate comment when she dropped the scissors. Can't abide bad language.
bru

Post by bru »

I purchased a Conair clipper set from Walmart probably 12 years ago. I've used it every two weeks or so on my increasingly lesser amount of hair. It came with a variety of blade types. #2 blade all around for me. I did break a blade maybe seven years ago and purchased a replacement set, also at Walmart.

I started cutting my son's hair when he was around 2.5 and I think I do a better job than the few times we had it cut at Great Clips. His hair grows like a weed and we like to do it outside to alleviate some of the mess. #4 blade for him.

All in all the clippers were a great investment as they have paid for themselves many times over.
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

TMI
barber

Post by barber »

I have enjoyed repairing many of these home haircuts over the past 45 years. Please keep up the suggestions for future clients. I have wondered why it is always barbers that have screwed the public by over charging. Why aren't you men on here cutting and primping your wife and daughter's hair and nails? You could REALLY be putting the money away. Maybe buy a horse and not need a car or garage. LOOK in your own backyard for ways to save not always in mine. Have a great day cutting.
bru

Post by bru »

Kind of funny that you post on a forum for do it yourself investors. It's called DIY for a reason. Some people prefer to do things on their own rather than pay someone. Yours isn't the only trade or profession that people can and do on their own. Mechanic, vacuum repair, plumbing, the list coud go on ad infinitum. Mostly to save money and sometimes because the best job is done by oneself.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I quit going to a barber due to my last visit The gal was going to cut my hair and asked "What number?" I had no idea what she wanted to know. I said telephone number? "No, what number?" After a couple more attempts, someone came over and set up her electric clippers and left. I got my last haircut.

Being a Boglehead. with the money saved during the past two years, I recently bought a very nice computer.

I use a Remington Precision 200.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
aac74

Post by aac74 »

Much easier to do the back of your head if you use a clipper with a 180 degree rotating head:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mens-groomin ... 70_00/prd/
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

You could go old school

The Welder

Post by The Welder »

I use cheap clippers, a con air now. Use the #1 attachment for head and beard once a week. Works great on thinning hair. Saved a ton of money over the last 15 years.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I use.... well the girlfriend uses on me, a Wahl Professional Designer. I think regular price at Sally's Beauty Supply was ~$50, it was on sale for $35 when I bought it (may find this price or similar at Amazon). Price wasn't a big factor at the moment. My regular barber ($12+ tip) seems to not keep consistent hours and I was in dire need of a trim. I went to the chain place around the corner and for the same price received a horrible butchering. I took the girlfriend to Sally's and we picked out these on recommendation from an employee there. There is a learning curve, but regardless she wasn't going to mess it up worse than it was (she could have shaved it all off and it would have looked better).

The Wahl Designer has a flip switch thingy that basically allows you to have 1/2 # guards for even more precise trim levels.
barber

Post by barber »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by bru » Tue May 15, 2012 9:59 am

Kind of funny that you post on a forum for do it yourself investors. It's called DIY for a reason. Some people prefer to do things on their own rather than pay someone. Yours isn't the only trade or profession that people can and do on their own. Mechanic, vacuum repair, plumbing, the list coud go on ad infinitum. Mostly to save money and sometimes because the best job is done by oneself

I hope you grow and butcher your own food, refine your gasoline, burn wood that you cut and split, home school, pump water from a well that was hand dug, earn your living witout some one hiring you. Sorry but that is my version of a do it yourself person. How do you invest without a company to make the transactions and forward them to you?
DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

To get to a 1, my vote is for an Oster. With the clippers, you might need oil or spray disinfectant.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Tried cutting my own hair a few times. Usually ended up looking like i just escaped the Gulag so i gave up. Now i look at the barbershop as another form of entertainment as well as a haircut. Some very interesting barbers out there along with the other customers. BTW i shave my whole body every few weeks while showering at the gym ( a more common practice than i thought). Cleaner, smoother and my wife says i look younger and thinner. Must be love!
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

Grasshopper wrote:Andis ProMotor, Wally-World sells them.
Good info.

I'm on my second Andis Speedmaster. If/when it dies, I may have to check out the ProMotor at Wal-Mart.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson
Tyr0ne

Post by Tyr0ne »

Also a big supporter of Wahl. Cutting your own hair when you keep is so short and only 1 length all the way around seems like a no-brainer. I wasted money for years going to a barber every 3 weeks. I bought the 27-piece Wahl 79524-1001 on Amazon a couple years ago and its been amazing.
There are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mursili

Post by Mursili »

I have a Wahl Homecut that I must have purchased 20 years ago. I started using in in earnest in 1998 (when I cut my hair to a #3 before spending 18 days on the Colorado River going through the Grand Canyon). I now cut my hair to a #1 and trim my mustache and eyebrows (yes, they get too long) to a #2. It helps that my wife gives me the once-over to make sure that I did not miss anything, but if I take a few minutes longer, I can always be sure that I have cut everything. If she sees that I have missed anything, I keep cutting until she says that I am done (which usually happens around bath-time for the kids).

I now cut my sons' hair as well. It does not look half bad.

It is very straightforward to cut hair to a single length. I cannot imagine how a barber could improve on the cut. If you need multiple lengths of hair in your cut (as many people may need, but I do not), then a barber may be easier - but not cheaper.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
thomase

Post by thomase »

I use a Wahl clipper set purchased from Walmart as well as a Wahl trimmer for edging around the hairline. Between cutting my own hair as well as my two boys, have saved a ton of money. The clipper and trimmer combined cost less than one of my wife's haircuts at a hair stylist.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

I have been cutting my own hair for over four decades with scissors from International Cutlery. One set of scissors thins hair to two lengths while the other cuts to a single length.