BOGLEHEADS 11 ANNUAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

BOGLEHEADS 11 ANNUAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

UPDATE 9/17/12 SORRY FOLKS, BUT WE'RE SOLD OUT. PLEASE DON'T RESPOND ASKING FOR REGISTRATION PAPERWORK.

We are pleased to announce that our 2012 National Bogleheads® Reunion (Bogleheads®11) will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with registration and reception starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 17, 2012. Scheduled events will end around noon on Friday, October 19, 2012. Airport to hotel transportation options will be provided to registrants.

Our special guest for Bogleheads®11 is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Bill Schultheis, Allan Roth, Christine Benz, Mel Lindauer and our own “Queen” Laura Dogu.

We'll start with registration and a wine and cheese reception with Jack Bogle on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle again for an extended Q&A session. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll have a special treat: a visit to Vanguard. Finally, we'll wrap up the reunion around noon on Friday after breakfast and a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$245 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions. Transportation to and from Vanguard is also included.

Registration is now open. Due to the conference room size, we have to limit the number of attendees this year, so the registration will be on a first-come basis. We suggest that you make your reservation early and send in your registration fee right away to ensure getting one of the available spots. Last year we sold out very quickly and had to return some checks that arrived after we had reached our limit, and we expect to sell out quickly again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly or risk being shut out.

To make your reservation for the meeting, please send an email with your Boglehead® and/or Morningstar login name, your real name, and your contact information to Bogleheads11@gmail.com ASAP. Please include the words “BH11 registration form request” in the subject title so we’ll know immediately what it’s in reference to.

Paul Globerson of the San Diego Bogleheads Chapter, who is one of the coordinators for this event (along with Ed Rager of the DC Chapter and Gail Cox of the Dallas Chapter) will respond via email with details regarding where to send your non-refundable, non-transferable registration fee.

Once your payment is received, Paul will advise registered Bogleheads® on the procedure for reserving a room at our preferred conference hotel at the discounted rate of $129 per night single and $144 per night double (both plus 8% tax). The hotel will hold a limited number of rooms for us at this special rate, so we suggest you make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to pay a higher rate. This special room rate is available for three days prior to, and three days after our event for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel Lindauer, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson and Gail Cox
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: BOGLEHEADS 11 REUNION ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bump for prime-time viewing! :happy
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Will you be joining us this year?
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Will you be joining us this year?
Yep! Check went out in the mail yesterday. :)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Wait. You guys have gotten the email asking for money? I haven't gotten a reply to my initial email from a week ago yet.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

EmergDoc wrote:Wait. You guys have gotten the email asking for money? I haven't gotten a reply to my initial email from a week ago yet.
Hmm. Yeah, I got that email on the 28th.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Registration confirmation (i.e., check was received) came yesterday :D
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

EmergDoc wrote:Wait. You guys have gotten the email asking for money? I haven't gotten a reply to my initial email from a week ago yet.
I've contacted Paul and asked him to look into what happened in your situation, EmergDoc. Hopefully it's either resolved by now or will soon be. Let me know if there are any further hitches.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The check is in the mail. Really.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:The check is in the mail. Really.
I can't tell you how many times I heard that when I was in business. :happy
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Yep! Check went out in the mail yesterday. :)
Good to see you'll be joining us again this year, Mike.
buzz4

Post by buzz4 »

I would very much like to attend. (my first time). My e-mail request has been sent. Regards, Frank

You're in for a real treat, Frank. The event is usually fairly evenly split between first timers and those who've attended before.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FabLab wrote:Registration confirmation (i.e., check was received) came yesterday :D
Well, that shows the system is working! Looking forward to seeing you in Philly.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:The check is in the mail. Really.
I saw your name on the registered list, so you were really telling the truth, LG! :D
VictoriaF

Thank you to all organizers

Post by VictoriaF »

Thank you to all organizers for excellent job. In fact, your effort is so superb, so flawless that it is easy to forget how much thought and work goes into organizing Bogleheads reunions.

I have already registered, and I am looking forward to another spectacular event.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
BigMik

Post by BigMik »

I have never attended a Bogleheads reunion and just hope there is room. My check is in Tuesdays mail.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: Thank you to all organizers

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote:Thank you to all organizers for excellent job. In fact, your effort is so superb, so flawless that it is easy to forget how much thought and work goes into organizing Bogleheads reunions.

I have already registered, and I am looking forward to another spectacular event.

Victoria
Hi Victoria:

Glad to see that our "recording secretary" will be joining us again. I've been following your proposed retirement to FL thread. How exciting!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BigMik wrote:I have never attended a Bogleheads reunion and just hope there is room. My check is in Tuesdays mail.
Looking forward to seeing you there, BigMik.
mcdbq2

Post by mcdbq2 »

Mel,

Thank you for the information on the annual meeting. I am a new registration with the bogleheads community. Also, I am new to this type of online forum. I will send an e-mail with my login name, real name and contact information and await the registration form. It would be a real treat to meet Jack Bogle in person! Looks like a great line up of additional speakers.
Again, many thanks.

mcdbq2
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Here come the Bogleheads"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

mcdbq2 wrote:Mel,

Thank you for the information on the annual meeting. I am a new registration with the bogleheads community. Also, I am new to this type of online forum. I will send an e-mail with my login name, real name and contact information and await the registration form. It would be a real treat to meet Jack Bogle in person! Looks like a great line up of additional speakers.
Again, many thanks.

mcdbq2
Hi Mcdbq2:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

A Boglehead Reunion with Mr. Bogle and our Panel of Experts is a valuable experience that will always be remembered with fondness and with better investing results.

We had our first Reunion in March 2000 at my home in Miami which Mel and I sponsored together. I have never heard a single person say they were disappointed in that reunion or any subsequent reunion.

This link gives a good idea of what a Boglehead Reunion is like:

HERE COME THE BOGLEHEADS!

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Again, many thanks.

mcdbq2
Looking forward to seeing you there, mcdbq2.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: "Here come the Bogleheads"

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Taylor Larimore wrote:

Again, many thanks.

mcdbq2
Hi Mcdbq2:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

A Boglehead Reunion with Mr. Bogle and our Panel of Experts is a valuable experience that will always be remembered with fondness and with better investing results.

We had our first Reunion in March 2000 at my home in Miami which Mel and I sponsored together. I have never heard a single person say they were disappointed in that reunion or any subsequent reunion.

This link gives a good idea of what a Boglehead Reunion is like:

HERE COME THE BOGLEHEADS!

Best wishes
Taylor
Hi Taylor:

Hard to believe that what we started back in 2000 has grown into such a great event.

In addition to all the good memories, Jason's Money magazine article also reminds me of a couple of sad events (Dave's death prior to the event and the subsequent loss of our dear friend, Bob Stowe).
magellan

Post by magellan »

My check is in the mail.

I had a great time at my first Bogleheads reunion last year. It was amazingly well organized, with the perfect mix of events and time to socialize.

I was a little hesitant about crossing over from the online world to the in-person world. But having now done it, I can highly recommend it. Bogleheads in person are even better than Bogleheads online. It's a very friendly group of folks.

BTW - A huge kudos to everyone that helps to make this happen. It's very much appreciated.

Jim
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

My check is in the mail too.

I attended BH9 two years ago and enjoyed it very much. Plus I am local and can commute so not terribly expensive.

These sell out fast people so don't delay if you want to attend.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

magellan wrote:My check is in the mail.

I had a great time at my first Bogleheads reunion last year. It was amazingly well organized, with the perfect mix of events and time to socialize.

I was a little hesitant about crossing over from the online world to the in-person world. But having now done it, I can highly recommend it. Bogleheads in person are even better than Bogleheads online. It's a very friendly group of folks.

BTW - A huge kudos to everyone that helps to make this happen. It's very much appreciated.

Jim
Glad you'll be returning, Jim. And thanks for the nice comments about our event. It actually takes us a year of planning to make it happen (after this event is over, we'll start planning next year's event). I've got an excellent staff in Gail Cox, Paul Globerson and Ed Rager, and I certainly couldn't do it without them.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dickenjb wrote:My check is in the mail too.

I attended BH9 two years ago and enjoyed it very much. Plus I am local and can commute so not terribly expensive.

These sell out fast people so don't delay if you want to attend.
Glad to hear that you'll be joining us again. I see your name on the list, so you're all set. See you in Philly!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dickenjb wrote:These sell out fast people so don't delay if you want to attend.
This is a very good point, which is worth repeating.

Every year a number of people are trying to decide whether it is worthwhile paying and traveling to meet some Internet strangers. By the time they finally decide to come, the meeting is sold out, and they never learn what they are missing.

Those who do come frequently find that the information exchanged in open discussions justifies the cost of attendance, and informal conversations with the experts and other attendees add further value. Many of us have burning questions that are not well suited for posting in the open forum either because they are too personal or because they are easier to tackle in a face-to-face interaction. A BH reunion is a good place to ask such questions. Alternatively, someone else asks a question that triggers a new train of thought. A reunion is a good place to put this "train" on the right track, right away.

The social environment is both friendly and meaningful. All attendees are invariably civil, more so than in our generally civil online Forum. Having read various discussions we know people even before we know them. In face-to-face discussions we may make references to other participants and threads, and we know what we are talking about. And when we don't know, we check it out next time we access the Forum. In short, the reunions have all the necessary components of a socially and financially rewarding experience.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote:
dickenjb wrote:These sell out fast people so don't delay if you want to attend.
This is a very good point, which is worth repeating.

Every year a number of people are trying to decide whether it is worthwhile paying and traveling to meet some Internet strangers. By the time they finally decide to come, the meeting is sold out, and they never learn what they are missing.

Those who do come frequently find that the information exchanged in open discussions justifies the cost of attendance, and informal conversations with the experts and other attendees add further value. Many of us have burning questions that are not well suited for posting in the open forum either because they are too personal or because they are easier to tackle in a face-to-face interaction. A BH reunion is a good place to ask such questions. Alternatively, someone else asks a question that triggers a new train of thought. A reunion is a good place to put this "train" on the right track, right away.

The social environment is both friendly and meaningful. All attendees are invariably civil, more so than in our generally civil online Forum. Having read various discussions we know people even before we know them. In face-to-face discussions we may make references to other participants and threads, and we know what we are talking about. And when we don't know, we check it out next time we access the Forum. In short, the reunions have all the necessary components of a socially and financially rewarding experience.

Victoria
What a beautiful commentary, Victoria. I couldn't have said it better myself. :D
BoomersRock

Re: BOGLEHEADS 11 ANNUAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by BoomersRock »

Is this an annual event?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! It is an annual event. You can find the complete history in the wiki: Bogleheads® Convention Meetings
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin »

I'll be there.
My first was #10. I had good conversations with Wm. Bernstein, Alan Roth, Mike Piper, Rick Ferri, Lauren Vignec, Alex Frakt, grabiner, bobcat2, VictoriaF, and others who've slipped my mind. It was pleasant to put faces to names. I sat at Mr. Bogle's table once, but I couldn't slip a word in past the rest of his groupies. (Dang introversion...)
That's my goal for #11 -- to speak to Mr. Bogle.
robocop

Post by robocop »

Darn- I have trial around that time so I will have to forego this year. I'll look out for this next year and hopefully then my case calendar will permit me to attend! Have fun!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Whiggish Boffin wrote:I'll be there.
My first was #10. I had good conversations with Wm. Bernstein, Alan Roth, Mike Piper, Rick Ferri, Lauren Vignec, Alex Frakt, grabiner, bobcat2, VictoriaF, and others who've slipped my mind. It was pleasant to put faces to names. I sat at Mr. Bogle's table once, but I couldn't slip a word in past the rest of his groupies. (Dang introversion...)
That's my goal for #11 -- to speak to Mr. Bogle.
Glad to hear you'll be returning. Sounds like you really made the rounds at BH 10. Remember, Jack doesn't bite and he loves to talk to his Bogleheads, so this year, you'll just have to speak up! :D
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Bumping this up again for prime time, following Mel's example. My check is also in the mail - as a fairly new Boglehead I'm excited about this opportunity to soak in some wisdom and humor and see Vanguard HQ. I do find it amusing and decidedly un-Boglehead-like, however, to mail a personal check for hundreds of dollars to someone I don't know, no receipt, just north of the Mexico border! This system seems to work and I laugh and trust the process and that Paul isn't going to go buy a yacht and motor away with our funds! Seriously thanks for keeping the costs down with an all-volunteer planning team. I look forward to meeting Paul and the others in October. thanks!
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Character Counts

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I do find it amusing and decidedly un-Boglehead-like, however, to mail a personal check for hundreds of dollars to someone I don't know, no receipt, just north of the Mexico border! This system seems to work and I laugh and trust the process and that Paul isn't going to go buy a yacht and motor away with our funds!
Hi Alisa

You make a good point except that you don't know Paul as well as I do (Mel's another matter :wink: ). I'd feel safer with a handshake from Paul (and Mel) than with a written guarantee.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Thanks Taylor, and I'm really not worried about my check. I trust you are home with Pat by your side again. I hope you can also journey to Bogleheads 11 - I always appreciate your concise, thoughtful feedback to various threads and would love to meet you both, if travel to Bogleheads 11 works for you.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alisa4804 wrote:This system seems to work and I laugh and trust the process and that Paul isn't going to go buy a yacht and motor away with our funds! Seriously thanks for keeping the costs down with an all-volunteer planning team. I look forward to meeting Paul and the others in October. thanks!
Hi Alisa,

Looking forward to meeting you in October. After all the work Paul has done on organizing the Bogleheads Reunions I think he deserves this yacht. 8-)

Victoria
VictoriaF

Re: Character Counts

Post by VictoriaF »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Hi Alisa

You make a good point except that you don't know Paul as well as I do (Mel's another matter :wink: ). I'd feel safer with a handshake from Paul (and Mel) than with a written guarantee.

Best wishes
Taylor
Hi Taylor,

Looking forward to seeing Pat and you at the 11th Reunion. We missed you!

Victoria
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

BoomersRock wrote:Is this an annual event?
Sorry I overlooked your question. For all intents and purposes, it is an annual event. In 13 years, we'll have held 11 events. We missed one year because of scheduling problems and the other year, we were busy writing The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and simply didn't have time to work on the event.

And, for the historical record, we actually had another "unofficial" event between our second and third get-together (we called it "Diehards 2.5"). Perhaps 15 or so us Florida Bogleheads got together and had dinner with Jack in Orlando (Jack was the keynote speaker at the Money Show there).

Hopefully we're back on track to keep it an annual event.
verfasser

Post by verfasser »

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Paul. He told me that my registration was complete.
I was very happy to know that.

I am an investor in Taiwan. I am really looking forward to joining BH11, seeing John Bogle and William Bernstein in person
and meeting all those authors and friends.

And many thanks to the people who organize this event.
justkb

Post by justkb »

Unfortunately, due to a scheduling conflict, I won't be able to attend this years event. Last year was my first meeting, and it was better than I could have imagined. I learned so much from so many people, and for that I'm grateful. Best wishes for a successful meeting, and I'm looking forward to BH 12.

Ken
SGM

Post by SGM »

Yo, I am looking forward to attending my first annual Bogleheads meeting in Philadelphia. Rocky :D
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

verfasser wrote:Yesterday I received an e-mail from Paul. He told me that my registration was complete.
I was very happy to know that.

I am an investor in Taiwan. I am really looking forward to joining BH11, seeing John Bogle and William Bernstein in person
and meeting all those authors and friends.

And many thanks to the people who organize this event.
verfasser,

Taiwan is a long way to travel from, but I am sure you will be happy with your decision to come. The reunions are even more rewarding than what you can imagine by reading these messages. In addition to Jack, Bill and other prominent Bogleheads you will also meet the Vanguard brass. Bring in your questions!

Make sure to interact with other participants, too. A casual discussion, a question raised by someone else may result in new ideas that would save you money on the long run.

Also, as you will be traveling from afar, plan to spend some time in Philadelphia and possibly New York City.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Victoria
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

My reservation is made! How many Bogleheads do we expect to participate at Boglehead 11?
verfasser

Post by verfasser »

Victoria,

Thanks for your reply and recommendation.
I am going to visit New York City and Philadelphia.
After all, it's a long flight from Taiwan to the East Coast of U.S.

I am very fortunate that one of the first books I read when I start investing is "Bogle on Mutual Funds".
Mr. Bogle is not only the pioneer of index investing, he is also a excellent writer.
His passion and enthusiasm can be strongly felt in his words.
Reading his books and speech scripts is an enlightening experience.

William Bernstein's "The Intelligent Asset Allocator" is one of the best books about asset allocation.
This book has profound influence on the way I invest.

For me, investment authors advocating indexing and asset allocation mean more than investing.

In 2010, I co-operated with a publisher and translated "The Investor's Manifesto" into Chinese.

In 2009, I wrote the foreword for the chinese version of "The New Coffeehouse Investor", and in 2010
the foreword for the chinese version of" The Elements of Investing".

Thinking about the prospect of meeting these authors and other Bogleheads make me excited.

See you at BH11!
joha31

Post by joha31 »

Well my registration is complete. This will be my first Bogleheads Reunion. Although I have only been a Boglehead for approximately 6 months, I am extremely excited to meet with such knowledgeable and supporting contributors to this website, not to mention the incredible panel of authors that helped to create and spread the Boglehead philosophy.
I am also a local Philly guy so I would be interested in meeting up with other local Bogleheads to see if we can’t work to get the Philly chapter rolling again.
Can’t wait until October!
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

verfasser wrote:Victoria,

Thanks for your reply and recommendation.
I am going to visit New York City and Philadelphia.
After all, it's a long flight from Taiwan to the East Coast of U.S.

I am very fortunate that one of the first books I read when I start investing is "Bogle on Mutual Funds".
Mr. Bogle is not only the pioneer of index investing, he is also a excellent writer.
His passion and enthusiasm can be strongly felt in his words.
Reading his books and speech scripts is an enlightening experience.

William Bernstein's "The Intelligent Asset Allocator" is one of the best books about asset allocation.
This book has profound influence on the way I invest.

For me, investment authors advocating indexing and asset allocation mean more than investing.

In 2010, I co-operated with a publisher and translated "The Investor's Manifesto" into Chinese.

In 2009, I wrote the foreword for the chinese version of "The New Coffeehouse Investor", and in 2010
the foreword for the chinese version of" The Elements of Investing".

Thinking about the prospect of meeting these authors and other Bogleheads make me excited.

See you at BH11!
Any chance you were involved in the translation of our book (The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing) to Chinese?
verfasser

Post by verfasser »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Any chance you were involved in the translation of our book (The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing) to Chinese?
There is simplified Chinese version of "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing", but no traditional Chinese version.
In Taiwan, we use traditional Chinese.
I am not involved in the translation of this book.

There are quite some good investment titles not available in Chinese, like The Bogleheads' Guide series, and Larry Swedroe's The Only Guide series.

Not all of Mr. Bogle's works are translated. There is no Chinese version for "The Battle for the Soul of Capitalism" and "Don't
Count on It".

But almost every English book with "Buffett" in its name is translated.

Many investors in Taiwan still believe in the myth of beating the market.
Maybe no matter what their nationality is, most investors overestimate their chance of success.
buzz4

Post by buzz4 »

I mailed my check from New Jersey on Wednesday 3/14. Hopefully I'm not too late.
Frank
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

joha31 wrote:Well my registration is complete. This will be my first Bogleheads Reunion. Although I have only been a Boglehead for approximately 6 months, I am extremely excited to meet with such knowledgeable and supporting contributors to this website, not to mention the incredible panel of authors that helped to create and spread the Boglehead philosophy.
I am also a local Philly guy so I would be interested in meeting up with other local Bogleheads to see if we can’t work to get the Philly chapter rolling again.
Can’t wait until October!
Looking forward to seeing you in Oct. In the meantime, if you (or someone) would like to be the new Philly Local Chapter coordinator, just let me know via PM and I'll add the new contact information to the Local Chapters Map so others who are interested can contact you.