Boglehead Article in Money Magazine

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
stemikger

Boglehead Article in Money Magazine

Post by stemikger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:41 am

I'm sure this has been posted already, but I'll post it anyway.

I just received my Money magazine today and was pleasantly surprised when I saw Taylor Larimore, Laura Dogu and Mel Lindauer. It was great to see them get this recognition. I for one appreciate all the help you have given me.

P.S. Taylor and Mel, I know, but Laura what is your Boglehead name. It will be nice to put a face with the name.

Thanks again, and Taylor, I especially appreciate your kindness and encouragement you have given me since I have been a visitor here.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Mel Lindauer

Re: Bogglehead Article in Money Magazine

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 am

stemikger wrote:I'm sure this has been posted already, but I'll post it anyway.

I just received my Money magazine today and was pleasantly surprised when I saw Taylor Larimore, Laura Dogu and Mel Lindauer. It was great to see them get this recognition. I for one appreciate all the help you have given me.

P.S. Taylor and Mel, I know, but Laura what is your Boglehead name. It will be nice to put a face with the name.

Thanks again, and Taylor, I especially appreciate your kindness and encouragement you have given me since I have been a visitor here.
Someone finally asked a question I can answer. Laura's forum name is "Laura". :D
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:55 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:

Someone finally asked a question I can answer. Laura's forum name is "Laura". :D
:lol Thanks Mel. I guess I just have never had any contact with Laura, so I thought she might be someone I have seen around. LOL.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

norookie

Post by norookie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:34 pm

:oops:
Last edited by norookie on Thu May 17, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:35 pm

stemikger wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

:lol Thanks Mel. I guess I just have never had any contact with Laura, so I thought she might be someone I have seen around. LOL.
Laura is the official "Queen of the Bogleheads". She's helped hundreds if not thousands of new posters both in person and via her legendary post: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 191#p76191

Indicing

Re: Boglehead Article in Money Magazine

Post by Indicing » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 pm

I just read this article in Money as well. It's Money's first 4 of the 40 Everyday Heroes: Jack Bogle, Taylor, Laura, and Mel.
Well deserved. Congratulations and thanks!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Penelope Wang did a good job writing a short article on Mr. bogle's being a champion of the small investor. In addition, she gave a very good recommendation of the bogleheads forum and the founding kings and queen of the forum.

Congrats to Jack, Taylor, Laura and Mel. Well, Mel, now I know that you are old enough to be in the RMD club. :beer

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Bogleheads:

I received our MONEY magazine in the mail today. It is informative to see how my quote was changed for brevity:

My e-mailed quote to MONEY magazine:

"I have learned that to be a successful investor is surprisingly simple: Save regularly, structure an asset allocation plan using two or three total market index funds (bonds should about equal our age), keep costs low (including taxes), then stay-the-course."

The published quote:

"Good investing is surprisingly simple: Save regularly, pick a suitable assset mix, and keep costs low."

The article by Penelope Wang is a very nice tribute to the Bogleheads Forum.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 pm

HueyLD wrote:Penelope Wang did a good job writing a short article on Mr. bogle's being a champion of the small investor. In addition, she gave a very good recommendation of the bogleheads forum and the founding kings and queen of the forum.

Congrats to Jack, Taylor, Laura and Mel. Well, Mel, now I know that you are old enough to be in the RMD club. :beer
Yeah, I've been in the RMD club for a few years now! :D

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Indicing wrote:I just read this article in Money as well. It's Money's first 4 of the 40 Everyday Heroes: Jack Bogle, Taylor, Laura, and Mel.
Great job, people! I have never had the pleasure of meeting Laura, but Jack, Taylor and Mel hold a special place in my heart. :-)

LynnC

nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:53 pm

LynnC wrote:
Indicing wrote:I just read this article in Money as well. It's Money's first 4 of the 40 Everyday Heroes: Jack Bogle, Taylor, Laura, and Mel.
Great job, people! I have never had the pleasure of meeting Laura, but Jack, Taylor and Mel hold a special place in my heart. :-)

LynnC
Lynn, weren't you and Mal in San Diego for BH7? I think you were with us when we famously forgot Norma, and I ran back to the hotel to get her. Laura and her mother (Queen Mom) were there that year.

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 pm

LynnC wrote:

LynnC
For those who don't know, Lynn has been around since the very first day the Bogleheads were born as the Vanguard Diehards on Morningstar

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 pm

nvboglehead wrote:
LynnC wrote:

LynnC
Lynn, weren't you and Mal in San Diego for BH7? I think you were with us when we famously forgot Norma, and I ran back to the hotel to get her. Laura and her mother (Queen Mom) were there that year.

Dale
Oh Dale, how hysterical that night night was! well, then, ok, I guess I have met Laura.

How have you and yours, been?

LynnC

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
LynnC wrote:

LynnC
For those who don't know, Lynn has been around since the very first day the Bogleheads were born as the Vanguard Diehards on Morningstar
That is right, Mel....back in the day when we were "born". Thanks for the acknowledgement.

LynnC

nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:24 pm

LynnC wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
LynnC wrote:

LynnC
That is right, Mel....back in the day when we were "born". Thanks for the acknowledgement.

LynnC
Hello, Lynn:

We are doing well, thanks. I did not know that you went back that far. Hopefully, you and Mal got some of Mel's I-bonds when the yields were good (2%, 3% and better)!

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Yes, Dale. I am one of the originals from M*.

YES, Mal and I backed up the truck when Mel sounded the I bond alarm. That was when you could buy them on line with your rewards CC. Sweet!

I'm going to save them until I need to hire a driver to get me to your neck of town. :D

LynnC

pingo

Post by pingo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 pm

stemikger wrote:I just received my Money magazine today and was pleasantly surprised when I saw Taylor Larimore, Laura Dogu and Mel Lindauer.
Shucks! I never missed my long-lapsed Money subscription until now. Now they go and do something truly great. :cry:
Taylor Larimore wrote: "I have learned that to be a successful investor is surprisingly simple: Save regularly, structure an asset allocation plan using two or three total market index funds (bonds should about equal our age), keep costs low (including taxes), then stay-the-course."
Nevermind. I got what I needed right here! :D

Laura, Mel, Taylor: A well-deserved recognition by the financial press. You have befriended untold numbers who you've never met. I am so grateful. I also thank the legions whose true names I may never know, but who offer their insight for the common weal. In your honor, I'll grab a copy of Money and give it a read.

Cheers!

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi:

This post will provide net reactions to the Money article as they appear:

[link removed by Mod]

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page affiliate blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Barry Barnitz wrote:Hi:

• [link removed by Mod]
regards,
What a rambling mish-mash... :roll:
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Wall Street slams cost-cutting Bogleheads

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Barry Barnitz wrote:Hi:

[link removed by Mod]

regards,
Hi Barry:

It should be noted that the author, Robert P. Seawright, is the Chief Investment & Information Officer for Madison Avenue Securities, a broker-dealer and investment advisory firm.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" ... Upton Sinclair
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Bob Seawright

Post by Bob Seawright » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 am

bob90245 wrote:What a rambling mish-mash... :roll:
I'm sorry you feel that way, Bob, especially since I am an admirer of your website. My post set out to criticize ideological thinking -- basing opinions and decisions upon prior ideological commitments rather than upon evidence. The keys to dealing with this issue are the reliance upon facts, data and research for one's conclusions along with the recognition that we can all be wrong (and often are). I invite you and any other Boglehead to comment on my post (at the link below) setting forth how you think I have erred. Kathleen L. Ryan has already offered a heart-felt reply. I welcome both the helpful dialogue that can ensue as well as the opportunity for correction if I have been wrong.

[link removed by Mod]

Bob Seawright

Re: Wall Street slams cost-cutting Bogleheads

Post by Bob Seawright » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:It should be noted that the author, Robert P. Seawright, is the Chief Investment & Information Officer for Madison Avenue Securities, a broker-dealer and investment advisory firm.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" ... Upton Sinclair
It should also be noted that even though you obviously have books to sell, I do not criticize you or assume that you were in error on that basis alone. That would be the kind of ideological thinking against which I am arguing in my post. I think the better approach is a careful delineation of any and all alleged errors.

Due to the approach you have chosen to this point, it is impossible to tell if you are excoriating me for (a) hailing "Jack Bogle as a hero on account of his having preached the benefits of low-cost and indexed investing and for making those objectives widely available as the founder of The Vanguard Group"; (b) commending this site for generally offering "pertinent and helpful information for individual do-it-yourselfers"; (c) praising Larry Swedroe unreservedly; or (d) something else. My money is on (d), but it's impossible to know unless and until you provide more than a snarky putdown.

I welcome your response in a comment to my post. Should you wish to write more comprehensively, I would be pleased to offer you (or Mel) the platform of a stand-alone post.

Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

Thank you Mr. Seawright, for your reply.

You wrote, (at your site)
“Ms. Ryan — Thank you for reading and commenting. You seem to be criticizing me but I have no quarrel with your comment whatsoever. Perhaps you misread?” ---->Please rest assured that I’m not criticizing you, and no I don’t believe I, “misread.”

Please let me elaborate further.

In your article, “I Believe in What Works,” you wrote:

“Money follows that up with a puff piece---->
I took, “puff piece” to mean, lacking in substance?(If not please explain.)

on the “Bogleheads,” devotees of Bogle with a variety of publishing ventures including a popular website (http://www.bogleheads.org) that – by-and-large – offers pertinent and helpful information for individual do-it-yourselfers from experts (such as the excellent Larry Swedroe of The Buckingham Family of Financial Services) and from interested amateurs. --->(And many, “non-amateurs”)

“However, even a few random visits to the Bogleheads forum reveals evidence of ideology run amok.”--->
I included a link to the the article,”Here Come the Bogleheads,” by Jason Zweig for clarification as to what the Bogleheads ideology consists of. Perhaps you can give examples of what you meant went your wrote, “ideology run amok.” --->

The Bogleheads ideology is stated clearly in the Wiki pages, and and numerous other places here, at the Bogleheads site. People post their opinions at the Bogleheads site, and as you well know, people are free to disagree with each other. But I don’t see how you can make the leap of, "disagreements," with, an “ideology run amok.” Again please give examples.

You continued with,

“Many there suggest that using a financial professional is always
---->Perhaps you misinterpreted, “often” with, “always.” There are many stories of investment advisors/brokers who do not have the fiduciary responsibility of their clients best interest in mind when advising their clients. This, I believe, is at the heart of many investors nightmares….being taken advantage of by people in the investment world. Again, Mr. Bogle offers an alternative to this scenario. That was my point. When people take the time to read and educate themselves with Mr. Bogle’s books, I would venture to say, most people can do better without an advisor. He provides voluminous citations regarding study after study about the most efficient ways to invest, that it is beyond the scope of my reply to you.

You went on to write, “wasteful foolishness, no matter an individual’s ability or interest in learning the fundamentals of investment management and behavioral economics” ---->In my humble opinion, there is no better place for, “learning the fundamentals of investment management”, than from Mr. Bogle, and the other distinguished contributing members of the Bogleheads site.

“and behavioral economics as well as the perils they bring, since financial advisors are deemed generally incompetent and caring only about separating you from your money.” --->Again, this is only the opinion of people who have had less than favorable experiences with their advisors. I believe we run into problems when we deal in absolutes such as always, or never rather than often, sometimes, etc.

“Moreover, well-supported and non-controversial research on financial topics other than indexing (such as the judicious use of income annuities to deal with longevity and sequence risk) is often attacked by regulars as part of a conspiracy on the part of big corporations out to exploit investors.”  -->Again, many times this has been the experience of clients. And this is what people tend to write about; their experiences, both positive and negative.

“Accordingly, it can be difficult to ascertain where the good and well-supported advice stops and the ideological nonsense begins” --->
No, not really. The, “well-supported advice,” is cited in all of John C. Bogle’s books. All one needs to do is research this as far at they want to take it. Believe me, it is all there!
Best wishes, | Kathleen

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Back on topic, I think it's wonderful that some Senior Bogleheads got recognized by Money Magazine. And not just a filler piece either - the first of 40 "everyday heroes" to be recognized. Hats off to Mr. Bogle, Taylor, Laura and Mel... and also to the many, many others who freely share insights here. Not every contributor will become part of a major magazine article, but please know they make a real difference for those who come here for advice. I can't think of any other site with so many people who offer wise counsel. People could pay $5,000 for advice that wouldn't be as good as what is offered here.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm

prudent wrote:Back on topic, I think it's wonderful that some Senior Bogleheads got recognized by Money Magazine. And not just a filler piece either - the first of 40 "everyday heroes" to be recognized. Hats off to Mr. Bogle, Taylor, Laura and Mel... and also to the many, many others who freely share insights here. Not every contributor will become part of a major magazine article, but please know they make a real difference for those who come here for advice. I can't think of any other site with so many people who offer wise counsel. People could pay $5,000 for advice that wouldn't be as good as what is offered here.
Well said, prudent. Because of space limitations, we simply were chosen to represent the ENTIRE Bogleheads community. There are lots and lots of others who deserved recognition, too, and it's just a shame there wasn't more space available to recognize the many, many valuable contributors to both this forum and the wiki.

Bob Seawright

Post by Bob Seawright » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Ms. Ryan -- I would be pleased to reply to you but I do not wish to derail this thread. Would you be kind enough to post your reply in full as a comment to the article? Thank you.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Will this article eventually appear online or will I have to buy the magazine in order to read it?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 pm

KyleAAA wrote:Will this article eventually appear online or will I have to buy the magazine in order to read it?
Hard to tell. It's just a one-page blurb, so you're not missing an in-depth analysis. If I hadn't left my copy down at the GF's house, I could have just shot a pic of the page with my smartphone to send to folks...
Attempted new signature...

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 pm

The Wizard wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:Will this article eventually appear online or will I have to buy the magazine in order to read it?
Hard to tell. It's just a one-page blurb, so you're not missing an in-depth analysis. If I hadn't left my copy down at the GF's house, I could have just shot a pic of the page with my smartphone to send to folks...
In that case, maybe I'll just check it out at the magazine rack on my lunch break. Yes, I'm that cheap.

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Bob Seawright wrote:Ms. Ryan -- I would be pleased to reply to you but I do not wish to derail this thread. Would you be kind enough to post your reply in full as a comment to the article? Thank you.
Or you could start a new thread and provide a link here.

Brian

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:07 pm

prudent wrote:Back on topic, I think it's wonderful that some Senior Bogleheads got recognized by Money Magazine. And not just a filler piece either - the first of 40 "everyday heroes" to be recognized. Hats off to Mr. Bogle, Taylor, Laura and Mel... and also to the many, many others who freely share insights here. Not every contributor will become part of a major magazine article, but please know they make a real difference for those who come here for advice. I can't think of any other site with so many people who offer wise counsel. People could pay $5,000 for advice that wouldn't be as good as what is offered here.
No kidding, Prudent! It was a short piece and a good one. Jack is on page 59. Money Magazine didn't call MY house for my thoughts and a picture....how about you? The four people who were selected should feel very proud to represent all of us. Who cares about anything negative being said?

LynnC

Bob Seawright

Post by Bob Seawright » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Ms. Ryan -- My reply is now posted (link below).

[link removed by Mod]

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

I received our MONEY magazine in the mail today. It is informative to see how my quote was changed for brevity:

My e-mailed quote to MONEY magazine:

"I have learned that to be a successful investor is surprisingly simple: Save regularly, structure an asset allocation plan using two or three total market index funds (bonds should about equal our age), keep costs low (including taxes), then stay-the-course."

The published quote:

"Good investing is surprisingly simple: Save regularly, pick a suitable assset mix, and keep costs low."

The article by Penelope Wang is a very nice tribute to the Bogleheads Forum. ...
I agree the article is a solid tribute to Jack Bogle, the forum and its founders, and I've already begun letting friends know about it. :D

I'm glad you brought up the quote. As a former longtime journalist, I believe the intention probably was to simply tighten your comment because of the usual space limitations. Much of the meaning of your comment was retained, but the very important "stay the course" was left out. I don't know, of course, whether Wang made the change or an editor did, or both. Whatever, it probably would've been okay to paraphrase (assuming "stay the course" was left in) your quote, but not to change it and still make it look as though it was a direct quote, which it no longer was. Ideally, if Wang or the editor needed to change a quote and keep it direct, they could have e-mailed you their rewrite for your input. That's the way I was taught to do it and the way my friends still in journalism do it - and IMO, it's the right way.
"John Bogle has changed a basic industry in the optimal direction. Of very few can this be said." ~Paul A. Samuelson